LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Where were YOU 30 years ago when the music(King) died??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where were YOU 30 years ago when the music(King) died??
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was making a visit to a neighboring community chapter of a Jaycee chapter.

We were sitting in this quaint OLD , historic bar having a beer when it flashed across the TV screen!! The King is dead!! What a loss,,,way to soon!!

His movies were always a BIG hit!!

And his gospel music was unmatched!!

LONG live the KING!!!(in out hearts at least!!) and no I havent seen him THIS week!!wish I did,,,just--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't old enough to be in a bar. I don't remember exactly where I was...but I do remember sitting soon after on a curb on Eisenhower Dr. in Sayreville, NJ with a friend of mine talking about it. Her mom was a HUGE fan and my little friend was at her wits end with her mom flipping out about it!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1Bitten2XShy
Unregistered

I was 13, visiting my Aunt & Uncle in Palmer, MA when the news came. My Mom and Aunt were huge Elvis Fans (they saw him in Worcester, MA) and I can remember my mother calling my Aunt and crying about it...Geesshhhh
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know.

I do recall being angry at myself because I kept putting off seeing him in Vegas.

Now, I would like to meet Joni Ereckson Tada and have wanted to for years.

I'd also did not realize that Helen Keller was a live and I could have met her. That would have been grand.

Oprah would be good to meet because of all she has done for others.

Perhaps I should start another post on who would you like to have a cup of coffee with before you die or they do?

I really enjoy being around people who can paint pictures with their words...wordsmith's I guess you would call them.

A rarity.

I also enjoy people with a sense of humor, who do not take themselves to seriously and live in the moment.

People that I respect because they have helped others and made positive differences in the lives of others.

Can't recall the name but I do recall the different orders of thinking.

I like or use to like being around those who have the higher order of thinking.

Now, I can't even recall who created the order and what the orders are. I am too low on the list myself. HA!

I wonder about STeven Spielburg. I'd like to be around when he is working.

I really miss being around people who are sitting in a room brainstorming and creating or outdoors or where ever they are trying to come up with solutions to obstacles.

A rare bird indeed.

Since I don't have a good ear...being in a room with people creating music would most likely not be appreciated by me.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoadRunner
Member # 380

Icon 6 posted      Profile for RoadRunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
getting high....

just kidding

RR

--------------------
"Beep Beep"

Posts: 2630 | From ct | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was old enough to remember, but can't say I know exactly what I was doing at the time.

I wished I had seen him too. My aunt saw him at the Houston Astrodome when she was in her 60's!! [I was living in Houston at the time and COULD have gone! [bonk] ] ... (and this was IN the mid 60's)

I was so surprised she wanted to go....AT HER AGE!!! [lol]

I'm glad she did, because she died within a yr or so of seeing him.

Live it up at ANY AGE!!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perplexed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perplexed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was living in Salem, NH then and was very busy with 4 children under 8 years old.

What stands out most in my mind is when my mother in law called me, and she was soooo very upset. She was in her early 50's then, and I could not understand why she was so upset.

Now that I am 65 I understand why she was upset. He had/has quite a following.

Hugs, Perplexed [bonk]

"Frogs have it easy: they can eat
bugs them." (Barbara Johnson)

Posts: 324 | From Lexington, KY, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I am a little late on this topic but I had to post a little remark about Elvis.

I was only 3 when he died so I personally don't remember anything.

My kids and I were watching all the Elvis movies they had on recently. The last one being Elvis and Me. In this particular movie they have his passing and funeral.

My 4 year old daughter saw the end of the movie. She burst into tears and cryed for over an hour. I tucked her into bed and the next morning she woke me up crying again.

She called her grandparents and her aunts to ask them if they knew Elvis was dead.

We have been listening to non stop Elvis CD's in the car since then. She is head over heals for him. I got her out of her bath last night and she was standing naked in front of the mirror singing "Ya ain't nothing but a corn dog..crying all the time" I tryed to tell her it's hound dog but she said that doesn't make sense. LOL.

So..Elvis has been re-born in my house. She even wants to take flowers to his grave. Since we live in PA I don't think that would happen.

Just thought I would share a cute..out of the mouth of babes story.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this floated to the top and thought I would add my memory.

I was seventeen and sitting at my desk, writing my great novel, when I got the news.

When I was growing up, my sister (who is 12 years older) had his pictures all over our room.

I called her. She had already gotten the news and was crying.."I just wanted him to be happy"

She had seen him twice in Vegas. The first time, he was magnficent. The second time he did his entire show with his back to the audience.

She finally got to visit Graceland a couple of years ago.

She married a guy who looks just like him.

I remember Andy Kaufman doing an Elvis tribute on SNL while Elvis was still alive!!! He was the first Elvis impersonator.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cassie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember this very well. I was 22 at the time. My 24 year old brother was killed in a boating accident on Aug 7 thirty years ago.
Elvis was one of my favorite singers.

Don, He is here in Canada. [Roll Eyes] We have Canadian Idol going on right now and there is a young boy in the competion who sings and moves his leg just like Elvis. Cute kid. There is only 3 people left this week, I don't think he will win but he will have a music career

Take care your friend Cassie [kiss]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 564 | From Toronto Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kitkat...That is so cute!! I remember singing "You ain't nothing but a hound dog" when I was about 8 yrs old." That was when Elvis first hit the bigtime.

I think we have my dancing and singing on 8mm film....which I hope my brother has in his attic! Otherwise, it's lost!

My first dance routine when taking tap and ballet was a routine done to "All Shook Up." I was younger than 10. The Elvis craze was big and only superceded by the Beatles!

Been to Graceland...not because I'm an Elvis nut...but because it was on the way to Nashville! I do still think he was an amazing talent with TONS of charisma.....as kitkat's daughter knows!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Haven't a clue- I was with RoadRunner.
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually visiting my grandparents in Chatanooga Tennessee.

They had the most incredible newspaper spread about the King.

My sisters and I always sang "In the Ghetto".

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lying on the couch with a broken leg ...

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 11. My mom was driving my brother and I out of Woodford State Park in Woodford, VT. I think about it once in a while because I drive by it all the time. I don't remember my mom being upset, which is odd, she's the right age to have been a fan.

I also remember where I was when Stevie Ray Vaughn died (gas station in NJ). They thought Eric Clapton was with him.

When Jerry died, my co-worker walked up to my cubicle and said, "Jerry is grateful."

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement