LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Maybe God had a hand in this--strange!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maybe God had a hand in this--strange!!
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ya'll know that i lost my beloved chocolate lab, Randi, about two years ago. She was almost 13 and died of congestive heart failure. I still grieve over her.

well this morning i was driving home from the lab (had to give that stool sample for c. difficile) and this chocolate lab ran out in front of me. i almost had a heart attack. i stopped in time, she had no collar on, and i just said "well get in the car."

she hopped right in and i brought her home. i went out and got some dog food and she ate one can. i called the animal shelter tho and told them i had her.

i played with her for hours and we watched tv. she chased me around the house and got up on the sofa.

well about an hour ago, a lady down the street called and described her, so i took her home.

i've been feeling so low lately and wondering if my life were worth anything. and now this colon thing has been freaking me out.

i just sat and hugged that dog and kissed on her ears and she just climbed right up in my lap like Randi used to do.

it calmed me down and made me realize how very precious life is.

don't you think God looked down and said, "well, you can have Randi back for just a couple of hours"?

strange, isn't it....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awesome!!! I would give anything to play with and hug my beloved border collie of many years ago!

You've been kissed and blessed today! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh that just brought tears to my eyes.

One way or another, you are blessed. I am glad you had her to hug today!!

And maybe its time to invest your heart in a new friend...I know Randi Cannot be replaced...its just there is NO love like the love of a beloved dog...and while its not a replacement, its a new friend to love...

I swore after I lost Nu to Lyme...never again would I have my own dog....too painful.

A few years later I saved a silly spaniel. He was already grown up (about 4) and really needed a home. He's been my best bud for the last decade...and while he is old and sick on and off...and I know the time is nearing...and I will be a WRECK when he is gone...its been worth it to save his life. He has been there in my darkest hours.

What I am saying is that when you find one, and save his or her life...don't be surprised when they end up saving YOU instead.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I can absolutely positively attest to that RandiBear. No doubt about it. You were given a wonderful gift. One that had no ties attached. I've been in your position, where when I've been feeling particularly low, I find that an animal "hug" came along. I almost always now can see it for what it is right when it happens. Sometimes, I can feel it coming BEFORE it happens, and I so appreciate it when it does.

I'm talking about a little animal, or more specifically, dog love.

I'm a doglady from way back. I had 2 german shepherds (smartest dogs on the planet!) for 15 years from the early 80's, to the late 90's. My last dog, Abby, was such a lovergirl. I grieved when she died, and we moved to a new house shortly after, one that I didn't pre-judge to be "dog friendly", and so it is that we live in tick country, and I have not gotten a new dog.

But . . . when we moved to this new house (10 years ago now) I found that there were so many animials, dogs, cats, horses, goats, and yes, even chickens (semi-rural pocket in No. CA) and so many of my neighbors had dogs that were "loose" aka just allowed to hang out on their property, that it wasn't long before I met all the neighbors dogs, cats, etc, and when they "got out" or wandered from their homes, I recognized them, and brought them back home!

I do this because once while I was out in a regional park/open space area my Abby dog ran away from me as a man and his pack of hound dogs came around the corner jogging, and scared her half to death. She took off running, and was missing for 3 hours, and when I finally found her, I was half beside myself with fear and grief that she was "gone forever". With a newly born grateful heart that realized that I almost lost my Abby forever, I vowed right then and there to become the dog returner lady.

And so it goes. I have had an almost 100% return rate on getting dogs back to their homes/owners. So, I know what you went thru with this chocolate lab, and doesn't it feel good to know that this special dog got back home? And that for awhile, for those few hours, this special dog gave you exactly what you needed?

I know that's how I view it most times. Now, I have 3 different dogs (and yes, they are either all lab, or part lab!) in my neighborhood that I can take on a walk (they just cruise on up their respective driveways and "come along") whenever I want. I either let them hang out in my front yard while we "visit" for awhile before I bring them back home, or they just go back home after our walks.

It is truly a gift from God, because I know right now, where I'm living at, and where I'm at in my life/marriage, I cannot take on the responsibility of owning a dog. My kids hate this, but I will not budge, in part because it does take work, and if you're not up for it, it is very heartwrenching, and somewhat cruel, to take on a dog, and not know that it is a forever deal.

I feel for ya Randibear, but realize that you had a most special gift, a small measure of time, to get, and yes to give, some unconditional love. That my friend, in today's world, is priceless. [Smile]

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexasLyme
Member # 11920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved what y'all said. If it hadn't been for my dog helping me through the tough times with LD, I may not have made it! I'm still not well but at about 80% now.

RANDI: My Border Collie was 14 when I started looking for another dog. I found a perfect replacement for him at [url=http://www.petfinder.com].
In the left column, input your preferences, and search. Your RandiII may by waiting for your adoption.

I got my second Border Collie last spring. Now I have two dogs that are smarter than I am.

JUST JULIE & TUTU: My German Shepherd was really smart, but my Border Collies are smarter. When I figure out how to post a picture, I'll post their's.

I've not found anything that will replace the unconditional love of a good pet!

Dave

Posts: 5 | From Lubbock, TX | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful story, randi. Yes, I believe God sent you a friend for the day to cheer you up!!

I have a blue heeler and a german shepherd. Great dogs!

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Randi,

God does hear every prayer.

We don't always recognize how He meets our needs, but you did.

You know I have 7 dogs. [Eek!]

Not intentionally, but due to animals being dropped off and left to die.

They are all unique and bring something different to me.

I have four boys and three girls (all fixed).

My dogs are like Angels sometimes.

They lay next to me when I am ill.

They kiss me when I cry.

They seem to "understand" how I feel.

Although my plate truly runneth over (with dogs),

I couldn't imagine parting with any of them.

They are my extra children and my friends.

It maybe time to think about adopting an older dog.

My Mom just took in a foster (13 year old chihuahua with a heart condition).

She can't be adopted due to age and medical condition,

But my Mom wanted her to know love and security before she leaves this world.

She is as good as gold.

Plus, she opened a spot up in the shelter for another animal who desperately needs to be adopted.

Just a thought. If not, I could lend you a couple of mine. [Big Grin]

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geneal,
Thats a WONDERFUL thought on your part,

Wouldnt it be really great IF one lymie could give a part of themselves,a dog's love, to another lymie,,,where you KNOW it has a good home and care!!

It would be a GREAT gift,,and knowing what you have accomplished in the process!!

Randi,

Quite obviously this happened to YOU to show you that you ARE ready to move on and adopt another faithful friend,,you NEED the emotional support at THIS point in your life.

It would be like being young again!! Maybe this would take your mind off of many other worries you have these days!!

I vote you and Geneal 'TALK' and see if anything would work out for you!! A new dog is like a new husband,never a replacement,,,a 'new' work in progress!!

I agree, rescue a nother choc-o -late lab from the shelter if all else fails!!

You NEED and DESERVE a NEW FRIEND!!!remaining--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so glad you had a visitor today. I think you should think about adopting a friend! You deserve it and so do they! I know I don't know your particular situation, but it sure sounds like you could use a furry friend!

My animals always know when I am really sick. My cats always jump up on the bed and snuggle up close until I get up.

I believe all my animals are greatful to me because they were all rescued from euthanasia.
I hope you get a friend soon. Petfinder is a great site to find a pet...

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also get free animals in the pets section of craigslist- lots of animals get posted there whose longtime owners die!!!

That was a lovely true story, Randi!!! A blessing to read- nice way to start the day-!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement