LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Excellent & Easy GF French Bread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Excellent & Easy GF French Bread
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please note Ms. Cobweb & Lymetoo-I am making amends for posting the GF candy/poison list
[lol]

Gluten Free French Bread

Tastes similar to the wheat containing french bread. Plus it freezes wonderfully!!! It's crusty on the outside, and soft and tender within. You can make it from start to finish in about one hour!!
by GlutenFreeGirl |

15-20 servings 2 loaves 55 min 15 min prep

2 cups rice flour (white)
1 cup tapioca flour
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
2 tablespoons fast rise yeast
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 egg whites, beaten slightly
1 teaspoon vinegar
melted butter, for brushing (optional)

In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt, and egg replacer (if used).Blend with mixer on low.
In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.
Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.
Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar.Beat on high for 3 minutes.
To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans.
Slash diagonally every few inches.If desired, brush with melted butter.
Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Remove from pan to cool.

Edited to add a P.S. :
Consistency of batter makes it want to "climb" up the beaters-have to beat it back down into submission while you work! [Smile]

[ 04. November 2007, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: susiecv ]

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[woohoo]
Thanks!!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merci [Big Grin]

This could be a real lifesaver for us. the gluten free bread I have been able to buy off the shelf is soooo dry and tasteless(except for one brand they are usually out of)

I am so excited because it's cooler weather and time to BAKE.

but first we have to get moved-so we're eating a lot of rice noodles and ginger.

I will surely keep you posted on my impending success. Meanwhile we eat Almond butter on Rice cakes.

Remember- you actually did me a favor with the candy list. Now it's my choice not to eat it, instead of just because I can't.

Oh man I was getting all excited until I just read over the ingredients- 3 egg whites????Is it okay if I throw the yolk in with the egg whites.

Can I substitute Stevia for the sugar?

And what's "xanthan gum "? Does Wriggly's make it? [Roll Eyes]

[kiss]

Cobby

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Sue. Liz will be excited about this recipe.
Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cobweb:

Oh man I was getting all excited until I just read over the ingredients- 3 egg whites????Is it okay if I throw the yolk in with the egg whites.

Can I substitute Stevia for the sugar?

And what's "xanthan gum "? Does Wriggly's make it? [Roll Eyes]

Did you miss the class on separating eggs in Home Ec? If you need a tutorial, let me know, would be happy to oblige! No Yolk. [Wink]
Never used stevia, but isn't it even sweeter than sugar? Probably would use just a tad-
The xanthan gum ( a powder) is mucho pricey, but goes a long way-store in fridge after opening-gives baked goods the spongy (gluteny) texture you expect.
The dough is odd-kind of other-worldly [Wink]
But the bread is tasty! We all like it-I would NEVER have tried to make French Bread before this diet entered our lives.
[Big Grin]

Fatigued-didn't know Liz was GF-Is she feeling better? Sure hope so!
Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorite bread mixes is by Kinnikinnick. It's the Candadi Yeast Free Rice Bread Mix.

I found I was eating too much of it, and so I quit baking it this past month!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fushiacat
Member # 13165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fushiacat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you make this bread without the "gum" or is there something that can be substituted for it. The "gums" in gf foods all seem to set me off (to the bathroom!)
Thanks!

Posts: 25 | From Kansas City | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Fuscia-
Sorry -I am still pretty new to GF cooking so I can't offer a substitution for the xanthan gum-

many GF baked recipes call for it

maybe others can help?
Sue

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If you substitute stevia for sugar the bread may be flat.

the sugar may help it "rise" --

perhaps a just a touch of agave (a gah vey), a syrup from a cactus plant that is wonderful to keep blood sugar from rising.

Xylitol may serve instead of sugar but not sure.

I've never made bread in my life, but I've listened in on a few conversations that somehow I just "hear" someone saying this.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-

If you substitute stevia for sugar the bread may be flat.
the sugar may help it "rise" --

Yes! Bread is one thing you definitely don't want to make with non-sugar sweeteners.
You don't need to use cane sugar, though. The yeast like honey at least as much as sugar. Maple syrup, too. If you use less sugar, the bread will be more dense, but you can let it rise longer, or start with a little more yeast. I any case, it will taste very good.
Actually, the longer you let the loaves rise, the more sugar is matabolized; thus, you aren't really going to ingest the total amount of sugar you put in! It is converted-- perhaps to starch, but I'm not sure...

Wish I was there to help you eat it!
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatigued15
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatigued15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sue,

Liz is trying the diet to see if it helps. Dr. h wanted her to try. I don't think it makes a difference but we will see. We haven't been as strict since the pox but will try a bit longer to see if it makes a difference.

The agave has been a lifesaver.

Posts: 488 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement