LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » ANyone have a good macaroni salad recipe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ANyone have a good macaroni salad recipe?
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for a macaroni salad? Thanks for sharing!

MElissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a wonderful recipe for a salad made with spaghetti, but not macaroni.

let me know if you're interested. it's a cold salad with black olives and celery, yummmm...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Randi-

I would love to know your recipe. Thanks so much. I have a big cookout/bday party for my daughter next month. I never make a pasta/macaroni salad I buy it. I do make a mean potato salad though!

melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh hon, thanks for being interested. this makes a BIG bowl, so you don't have to double. and it's refrigerated so make it the night before so it can,ummm, what's the word, mix the flavors. sorry can't remember words right now.

here goes.

Vermicelli Salad

1 pound cooked vermicelli or spaghetti.

Marinade:
1 tablespoon Accent seasoning (the little red and white container)
1 tablespoon lowry's seasoned salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons crisco oil

Marinade sphaghetti or vermicelli overnight in marinade.
Add:

1 cup chopped green peppers
3/4 chopped green onion
1 or 2 cans chopped pitted black olives
2 cups diced celery
1 1/2 cups Hellman's mayonnaise (must be Hellman's, I tried others and yuck, didn't work)

Mix with spagheeti or vermicelli and chill overnight.

Makes a large bowl.

I also have a recipe for marbled brownies that makes a big jelly roll size pan, made with cream cheese and nuts....delicious but rich...

and i've got a really good recipe for potatoe salad too.

i love to cook, so ask away. i've got my mom's old recipes adn they're the best.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

yum

That sounds good. I think I will try to make this. Thanks!! The brownies sound good too. I love to cook too. I havent done it too much lately because of the way I feel.

Thanks again

Melissa [bow]

lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Melissa!

I have a chicken pasta salad recipe if you are interested. It uses cold chicken and the tri-colored pasta. There are 2 ways to make it . . . one with an olive oil/vinegar base and the other with a mayonnaise base.

Interested?

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Hi Lou I am interested ! Sounds yummy..

Thanks!

Melissa [lick]

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

not to rain on anyone's macaroni, but for anyone with neurotoxin concerns, you might want to avoid using Accent seasoning - as it is MSG creates excited nerve firings and a sense of being wired.

some authors (Blaylock) say it's toxic and that's why the excitability reaction occurs.

MSG (in all of its many names) should definitely be avoided by anyone with a seizure disorder as it can lower the seizure threshold (by it stimulating the glutamate receptors).

more can be found with a Google Search of "MSG, Blaylock"

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have cut out pasta from my diet. I thought it was yeast producing???
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caryn
Member # 366

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Caryn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, not actually a recipe. funny story about my husband before we were a pair, but too tired to tell about it now.

where i live, some of the supermarkets sell spelt pasta. it's a whole grain and i think better than wheat.

so, start with elbow shaped spelt pasta.

then, add as many raw vegies as you like. celery (along with minced celery leaves is an obvious one). tomatoe, green onion or purple onion or shallots or...don't pick all or it will be too onion. bell peppers. any color but several colors are pretty. fresh flat leaf parsley. other freash herbs might be nice, but be careful. cilantro if you are adding freash (sp?) lime juice will work nice. rosemary, i think too strong for a salad.

for dressing, a nice vinigar with some olive oil, more oil than vinigar ( approx. one part vinigar to two parts oil ), salt, white pepper, dijon mustard ( use the kind imported from france - suprisingly, it is not much more expensive or even about the same as the american brands heavily advertised).

lemon juice or lime juice in the dressing might be nice. i would opt for lemon usually.

should be yum!

oh, i forgot about celery seeds. not too many or the salad would have too much of a bitter-earthy taste.

and, on the subject of pasta salads, why not make cole slaw instead? my current fave food.

Posts: 1093 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Spelt is nice and some have no trouble with that. It does contain gluten, however, so if that is a concern you might want to try some wonderful brown rice pasta.

Mostly in penne and swirls - and best if used the same day or kept very moist in fridge. In a cold salad a day old, the rice noodles get a little rubbery and hard.

Trader Joe's carries it - organic, too. Good prices.

Tinkyada is a another brand that makes a variey - and some are organic, some not.

And, although is it gluten-free and from brown rice, as it's ground to a fine flour, it would still be high on the glycemic index unless mixed with veggies and protein.

Addding a bit of olive oil right before serving will also help balance the carbs in this if one is watching glucose levels.

I've also figured out that most pasta sauce has added sugar. I get an organic tomato paste and add all my own herbs and spices. You could also add diced tomatoes.

Whole grain pasta, in a modest amount and not every day might be a nice treat. If yeast/candida is flared, however, it might be better to wait.

The consistency of this - eaten just after cooking - is wonderful.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those that can eat pasta, here are the recipes.

3 cold diced chicken breasts
1 box cooked tri-colored pasta (cold)
cut up veggies -- whatever kind you like
I use celery, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, onions, cucumbers, carrots
Mix all together.

Oil/vinegar dressing
2/3 c. olive oil
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1 t. soy sauce
1/2 t. oregano, 1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. black pepper
(if you can eat sugar, add 1/4 t. sugar)
Mix all together and pour over pasta salad.

If you are making the salad with a mayonnaise dressing:
Add to the pasta salad: 6 diced hard boiled eggs
2 T. sweet pickle relish

Mix
2/3 c. mayo
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. mustard
Pour over pasta salad and mix.

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

As for carbs, remember that the brain NEEDS carbs. The heart, too.

If a reasonable portion is balanced with protein and colorful produce - and the right oils, it will not have the same effect as if eating it straight. It will be slowly absorbed and not produce the sugar highs.

-

bsigel
Member # 11810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsigel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cook one pound elbow macaroni as directed.

Drain and rinse with cold water.

In saucepan add

5 eggs
1/4 cup sugar or equivalent of stevia
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Mix well, turn to med heat, stir until it looks like lightly done scrambled eggs. Remove from heat.

Add 1 cup mayo or salad dressing.
2 stalks of diced celery
1 onion chopped finely
2 Tablespoons of prepared mustard

Hard boil a few eggs and slice for on top after you have mixed up the dressing with the macaroni.

Posts: 41 | From Warfordsburg,PA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love macaroni salad-this inspires me. I'll just use rice pasta.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Just remember with the rice pasta that it can get hard when stored and cooled in fridge.

If you have moisture/oil mixed in with all the pasta and then stir it well before serving, this helps.

Still, better than no pasta at all. It actually holds up pretty well.

-

Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip Keebler- we always eat it right away-hadn't thought about how it might store in fridge.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement