LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » hair coloring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hair coloring
abbyjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbyjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone still color their hair? I don't want to jeoperdize my health any more than I need to. I'm turning gray at 32 [Frown]

--------------------
abbyjo

Posts: 255 | From Southern CA. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some would say it's not a good idea and maybe it's not but I think feeling good about yourself is some of the best medicine. [Wink]
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Though I've seen some wonderful results on others with henna (very kind to the hair and makes it fuller), this is different from henna, I think:

AVEDA

http://aveda.aveda.com/enter/color/default.asp

hair color
*from plants and non-petroleum based minerals

Salons:

www.aveda.com/templates/door/locator.tmpl

-

[ 30. August 2008, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Laura 100%-!

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a personal decision.

I died my hair for more than 20 years and last fall I grew out my grey for a couple months and got a super short hair cut. I absloutley LOVE my grey hair.

You can get non-toxic or low-toxic hair colors at some of the larger health food stores and I understand they work pretty well.

I also only use non toxic or very low toxic makeup, shampoo, soap, moisturizers, body lotions, cleaning products, nail polish and remover, etc.

The nail polish was the toughest one and I didn't save the link where I purchase it! It lasted on my toes for a little over two weeks (regular lasts a month)

Here is a great website to see how toxic your personal products can be:

http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GraceT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GraceT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm letting mine grow back to it's natural color now. Using Henna's worked for me in the past.

If you want body - try the Henna that is colorless - it adds shine.

I know I sure don't need anymore chemicals soaking into my skin.

Too many years of mercury from amalg. which are all removed now. Too many years of using pesticides and herbicides to keep our many beautiful properties. Too many years of using hair spray and other gunk.

I'm through with it all. I love myself - even sick with this crazy stuff. My hubby & cat love me too and they don't care if I have white hair or gray hair, or brown hair.

My vote is Stay Natural. [Smile]

Posts: 212 | From Arizona | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i;m going natural too. my husband loves it, says it looks frosted.

besides, i earned every dang one of these grey hairs and i'm keeping 'em.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I struggled with that too for a long time.

With me, it was not realistic. I did not have what it takes to color my hair.

I now have my hair short and just have to wash, comb and that is it.

Awhile back, I was doing better and considered coloring it again and letting it grow out.

It grew out for a couple of months. Then a lady came to my house and asked me if I would like her to cut my hair.

It is short again and I am OK with that.

It is rare I am able to put lipstick or mascara and liner on my eyes.

Arms are just to weak and it is too exhausting.

RE: health and coloring.

I did have a friend who was told by a doctor not to color her hair anymore. She had a brain tumor and he felt that coloring her hair made things worse.

I also have heard there are non toxic ways to color ones hair.

My brain was not working well enough when I was searching the web for those to figure it out.

I live in an area where a big part of the population has grey hair.

So, it is easier on me. I fit right in.

I also started turning grey in my 30's.

Looking back I wonder if it had something to do wtih lyme.

I also read that if you are lacking something your hair will turn grey. But, once you get whatever it is you are lacking in your system the color will come back.

Sorry, I can not recall what that was.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackpowder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackpowder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having done hair for the last 25 years
I can tell you that coloring has changed
dramatically. There are so many low-peroxide
low ammonia colors and perms now in addition
to the older preparations. Another option

is getting highlights or lowlights either
with a cap or foils. That would keep the
solutions off your scalp. OR...Just go
natural- it's a personal choice. Some

people look great with grey hair--others,
not so much. Clients feel they look
washed-out. Good luck

Posts: 111 | From Pa | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I colored my hair for years. Decided a couple of years ago to "go natural" and see what it looked like.

Considering I hadn't seen my natural hair color in close to 20 years, I was curious. [Big Grin]

I liked the gray, but the mousey brown didn't thrill me. It reminded me why I started coloring it in the first place.

Still, it wasn't too bad at all. Except....

People started asking if my mom and I were sisters. Great complement for her, not so much for me.

And then the icing on the cake - I was asked if I was my best friend's mom. I'm only 6 years older than her! [cussing]

Back to the bottle.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeanettefv
Member # 17730

Icon 8 posted      Profile for jeanettefv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been thinking about letting my hair go gray because I didn't want the chemicals. I never knew that there were natual solutions, Aveda. I had gray hair early, now it is still not too visible but it is there. I feel the societal pressure for women to color their hair but I am not sure I want to give in to it. When you don't feel well, who wants to go to the hairdresser anyway. Even my husband has asked if I am getting it done and complains that I cut my hair. What makes me laugh is he shaves his head and has grays but that is okay. Not sure what I will do.

--------------------
Jeanette
http://www.AHandbagShop.net

Posts: 29 | From NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeanettefv
Member # 17730

Icon 8 posted      Profile for jeanettefv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been thinking about letting my hair go gray because I didn't want the chemicals. I never knew that there were natual solutions, Aveda. I had gray hair early, now it is still not too visible but it is there. I feel the societal pressure for women to color their hair but I am not sure I want to give in to it. When you don't feel well, who wants to go to the hairdresser anyway. Even my husband has asked if I am getting it done and complains that I cut my hair. What makes me laugh is he shaves his head and has grays but that is okay. Not sure what I will do.

--------------------
Jeanette
http://www.AHandbagShop.net

Posts: 29 | From NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sky- [hi]

Dye is used to put color into the hair or beard.

Bleach is used to remove color from the hair or beard. It's NOT the same kind of bleach that is used on clothing. [Big Grin]

I would go to a professional salon to have my hair or beard bleached. It's to easy to burn your skin or melt your hair if you are inexperienced.

My friend ended up with orange hair because she didn't leave the bleach on long enough. [bonk]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 57 and I have two grey hairs at last count. [Big Grin] I'm fine with grey as long as I don't look sick and washed out. So far, so good.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement