LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » National and State Parks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: National and State Parks
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I added pictures of National parks on my google home page.

I am surprised about some of the parks I have never heard of.

So, thought I would start a post on National parks.

I hope to travel to National and State Parks once I have the time, money and health to do so.

So please feel free to add state and national parks you have visited or other outstanding nature areas.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam, great idea. My whole family loves parks of all kinds. Hopefully people will chime in...

Here's' one to start with.

One of my favorite parks is Mt. Lassen. Mt. Lassen is in Northern California. It's unigue in its rugedness and offers great hikes and you can usually still find some snow at its summit in the middle of summer. We like to hike there in the heat of summer wearing shorts and t-shirts. It's really cool becuase there are areas that still have snow and you are in your shorts. They even have a very unigue hike that takes you down to some sulphur springs, which are always bubbling away. There is a long, very well maintained road that circles the whole park. I can't remember if it's a 26mile round trip loop, but it's a very nice way for people who are ill or disabled to be able to see the park. There are vantage point stops along the way where you can take photos. It also makes for a heck of a bike ride. Whenever we have gone to Mt. Lassen, I truly feel like we are the Von Trapp Family from the Sound of Music. It's not too far from Redding, CA and the Mt. Shasta area which is another gem you could see while in the area. There are campsites and a little lake too. There are many places within the park that would make for a nice lunch spot. Another thing that our family likes about Mt. Lassen is that it's not crowded the way other parks can be. This is a very unique mountain and has a real presence about it when you see it. The area is absolutly gorgeous. I am so happy that we have this treasure nearby.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Warrior....breaking it up so I can read it....

Here's' one to start with.

One of my favorite parks is Mt. Lassen.

Mt. Lassen is in Northern California. It's unigue in its rugedness and offers great hikes and you can usually still find some snow at its summit in the middle of summer.

We like to hike there in the heat of summer wearing shorts and t-shirts. It's really cool becuase there are areas that still have snow and you are in your shorts.

They even have a very unigue hike that takes you down to some sulphur springs, which are always bubbling away.

There is a long, very well maintained road that circles the whole park. I can't remember if it's a 26mile round trip loop, but it's a very nice way for people who are ill or disabled to be able to see the park.

There are vantage point stops along the way where you can take photos. It also makes for a heck of a bike ride.

Whenever we have gone to Mt. Lassen, I truly feel like we are the Von Trapp Family from the Sound of Music.

It's not too far from Redding, CA and the Mt. Shasta area which is another gem you could see while in the area.

There are campsites and a little lake too. There are many places within the park that would make for a nice lunch spot.

Another thing that our family likes about Mt. Lassen is that it's not crowded the way other parks can be.

This is a very unique mountain and has a real presence about it when you see it. The area is absolutly gorgeous. I am so happy that we have this treasure nearby.

....I tried to copy and paste pictures but have yet to succeed.

Mt. Lassen is one that I would like to return to also.

I was trying to find the name of the lake that freezes over and a picture of it.

I agree...one of the things that makes Mt Lassen special is it is not overly crowded.

But, I learned to lock up my gear while camping there. I had several things walk off without me.

This could happen at any campsite though.

And I we were snowed in for a couple of days in July!!

Woke up with snow all around us. We were planning on leaving that day but needed to stay a couple more while they cleared the roads.

I have seen the weather change from swim suit weather to needing snow clothes rapidly. Amazing.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

While I was camping there one time they had some kind of event regarding the settlers coming across the Oregon Trail.

WE had biscuits with grit in them...but they were good...just a little crunchy.

The had actors talk about what it was like coming across the trail. HIstory a live. Well done.

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kam,

I can't believe I did not break up that long post. Normally I do not. Sorry, I had a Lyme moment.

That is really cool that you have been to Mt. Lassen too.

Have you ever been to Bidwell Park? It's located in Chico CA and is a really neat day park to visit. They have hiking, mtn. biking, and swimming in some of the neatest swimming holes that I have encountered. It's one of the largest municipal parks in the country.

It would be a fun park to visit if one was doing Mt. Lassen/Shasta area and was heading down to lets say to Yosemite or Lake Tahoe area and wanted to break it up.

Bidwell park has some incredible caynon views and some very interesting swimming holes. Lets just say you can climb down very interesting rock formations and swim in the creek that has the cleanest, clearest water that flows off the Sierra Mtns. The fish swim all around you and you can literally reach out and touch them.

I love mountain biking in that park, as there are many different trails. Some which are quite difficult and some that are perfectly fine for novice.

Basically they have an upper trail, middle trail and lower trail. There are also trails on both sides of the creek which adds to the diversity of the park.

This is another park that does not get crowded and there is no fee to enter.

If you head up the road to a town called Paradise there are absolutely amazing canyon views. Locals call it "Little Grand Canyon".

I am fortunate as l get to enjoy Bidwell Park each and everyday as I live right here.

--------------------

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Lyme Warrior...

There was a reason I have filed away the Chico area in my brain but I can't recall why.

Perhaps it was due to Bidwell Park. NO. I have not been there but would like to.

Thanks for the info.

"Little Grand Canyon" sounds like a great road trip too in Paradise.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I want to spend a week at each the Lodges of the National Parks.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor , Maine.
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Sizzled...I have seen pics of Acadia NP. I would really like to go there in the fall.

Keebler...I think what started this thread was from watching a program on TV about the lodges at National parks.

Most are very old and have a history in themselves.

I would like to stay at the lodge at the Northern end of the Grand Canyon and the lodge at Yellowstone and Yosemite of course.

I think there was more but can't recall where they were now.

Just not sure about the cost. I have always had difficulty paying $200 or $300 a night for a place to sleep even when I was working.

I use to prefer camping. But, if I could get over the cost I am sure it would be a memorable experience.

I wrote to one of the TV stations that does Man VS Wild and other programs.

They said that they way they work is usually to have someone send in film and then they write up a contract for them.

I had the thought of visiting state and national parks via my power chair and service dog and show how well the places are handicap access or how they are not.

Mostly to show you can get around to these places even if you are in a power chair.

But, I don't have a clue at this point how I would get the funds together to do something like that and who would do the filming.

Man vs Wild has a film crew with him.

The other guy does his own filming and although he has improved he still needs work. I really think it would be better if he had a camera crew with him.

We could also point out which areas have ticks. HA!

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

My number one lodge destination is the Ahwahnee at Yosemite!
The natural beauty of the materials that they used to build this incredible lodge are second to none.

I have been thinking about booking a long weekend for me and my husband. We try to go away at least one wknd per year without the kids.

It is gorgeous and in the best location in the park.

One of my best friends has been to Yellowstone and swears that there is nowhere like the lodge there. She has been there three times now and keeps going back. It's another place that I would love to stay in.

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

Found this web site:

-

Brief History:

Ahwahnee Hotel Time Line:
1925 - Design work starts
1926 - Construction begins
1927 - Ahwahnee Grand Opening
1928 - 6th floor ballroom remodeled into penthouse
1931 - Dining room roof reinforced to handle snow load
1933 - Prohibition ends, El Dorado Diggins Bar added
1943 - Becomes Naval Hospital - World War II
1946 - Reopens as hotel with major remodel
1950 - Indian Room Bar added
1963 - Elevators automated, swimming pool added

The Ahwahnee Hotel opened on July 16, 1927, as a first-class hotel for wealthy visitors to Yosemite National Park in Central California.

Today it is still a top-rated hotel with an architectural beauty that fits well in the magnificent setting of Yosemite Valley.

While some changes have been made through the years, the hotel remains much as it was in the days when wealthy industrialists, Presidents and royalty were guests.

Today the doors are no longer guarded to keep out the "undesirables", and anyone can visit. You can even stay the night in the luxury of the Ahwahnee Lodge.

During your stay you will be hobnobbing with the wealthy and famous, as well as plain common folks who have saved up for a special treat!

Even if you can't afford to stay at the hotel, the National Park Service, who owns the building, invites you to visit and look around this working museum of art and architecture.

Be sure to take the Virtual Tour before your visit so you know what to look for, what to expect, and some inside information you won't find anywhere else!

All the information about the Ahwahnee that you could want is here on this website. Other pages include a in-depth Virtual Tour of the hotel, including a sneak peek into some areas off limits to most guests.

Of course during the tour we will tell you about the hotel ghosts. You will also find a complete history of the hotel on this site and a link to the hotel's website for room rates and reservations.

Finally you will find a review of our visit to the Ahwahnee, complete with more photos.

Historic-Hotels-Lodges.com

kam
Member # 3410

NEVER GO TO YOSEMITE EXPECTING TO STAY THE NIGHT WITHOUT ADVANCED RESERVATIONS!

This applies to all accommodations, including camping.

For the Ahwahnee Hotel: holidays and special events generally require booking a year and a day in advance.

Booking at least 6 months in advance is generally necessary for weekends in spring and summer.

Weekdays in summer and weekends in fall and winter often need to be booked 3 months or so in advance.

Reservations may not be made more than a year plus one day in advance.

Room rates start about $250.00 per night mid-week during winter.

Standard room rates run $439.00 or higher per night at peak demand.

Parlors and suites are more. Rates may vary, of course. These rates are based on the 2008 year.

Dinner at the Ahwahnee Dining Room starts around $50.00 per person and goes up rapidly with fancier dishes, wine, etc.

Breakfast and lunch run about $20.00 per person and up.

There are many other dining choices close by, with a very wide selection of food types and prices.

Ahwahnee hotel may be closed?

If you want to visit the Ahwahnee Hotel in the next few years, now may be the time.

The Ahwahnee could shut down for a major structural upgrade as early as mid-year 2010, and be closed for 2 years or more. The Ahwahnee could shut down for a major structural upgrade as early as mid-year 2010, and be closed for 2 years or more.

kam
Member # 3410

I just wanted to add that if you are traveling to Yosemite during the winter be very careful.

I spun out when I hit black ice. I thought I was a goner and going over the hill but something stopped the back wheel..can't recall what it was now.

Instead I just got a couple of punctured tires and had to get new tires.

While I was waiting at the garage....the road was full of people having accidents on it.

One car came in that had rolled several times and was pretty flat. I don't know how anyone could survive that if they did.

I learned that the road they are using today is the road that was built years ago and part of the problem was the way the road was built.

The other problem was I traveled the road before the park was aware of the dangers going on.

They closed the road until they could clean things up and put down the stuff needed to prevent more accidents.

I was not going fast...est under 25 mph. As were the cars that went by me. They told me as they driving by that they tried to stop to help me but the black ice kept them from doing so and they had to keep going....slowly, but they were moving.

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Yes, you need to be prepared in the winter. And, be prepared to stay an extra day or two if they get snowed or iced in!!!!!

Kam, thanks for the picture and website....What great information you provided.

I want to go there right now!!!! I am salivating... As usual, I am sure that I have booked to late to get the dates available that I would like to go.

My family has talked about having a family reunion there at Christmas time. They are known for the most incredible holiday spread in their restaurant...They book up for Christmas sometimes as much as one to two yrs in advance.

I would love nothing more than to go snow-shoeing and skating and take in the view of half dome all at the same time.

--------------------

kam
Member # 3410

I have wanted to the Brackenridge dinner thing too.

Last I heard it was done by lottery but that was when I was in college in the 90's.

So, not sure how they do it now. I think it was in January that you put your name in for December's Dinner.

I wanted to go to the lodge and Yosemite too when I read the site.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Yeah, some of those Lodge programs on PBS are fantastic. A search for "PBS, Lodges" brings up many links from this one:

http://www.pbs.org/search/search_results.html?q=Lodges

-

You can see many slide shows and purchase DVDs, or check the air times if programs are to be shown again soon.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Thanks for that website keebler..another good one to go to.
Meg
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trivia Alert

Without cheating [Smile] which State has the most National Parks??

Winner will get.....kudos

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

http://laist.com/2009/08/04/national_park_service_could_expand.php

I cheated. Thought I had posted but I guess not.

Looks like CA might get more areas covered.

I hope so. I backpacked in these areas and would really like to see them stay open for that.

Meg
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, cheating?.....maybe just half a kudo [Smile]

I grew up in Ca and would be surprised if we didn't go to all the Parks in that State

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I have been to Yosemite, Joshua, Lassen, Death Valley but need to go back and do more than just drive through..

...that is all my brain can recall right now.

Smokey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my favorites is Angel Island State Park in San Francisco Bay.

You have to take a Ferry to get there. The only accomadations are camping.

The history of the park is so amazing. The island is also known as "Ellis Island of the West".

I guess I'm a little biased, my husband works for state parks and we were able to live on AI for a couple of years.

I couldn't believe the people I would meet who had lived in the Bay Area all their life and had never visited there.

We have been truly blessed to have lived in many Ca State Parks over the last twenty five years.

Make sure you call ahead, because of the budget cuts after Labor Day some of the parks might be closed. This is so sad, now when so many people are staying nearby for vacation.

Check out the website. http://www.angelisland.org/index.html

Cindy

PS. We moved off the island in 2007, There was a huge fire on the island last Oct. we happened to be coming home from an 11 day cruise into San Francisco Bay that morning. What a spectacular site.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 906 | From San Francisco Bay | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement