LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Best Christmas Gift Ever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Christmas Gift Ever
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw the thread on worst Christmas Gift which got me to wondering what the best Christmas Gift was I received or gave.

How about you?

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best....hmmm. Long story--I'll try to shorten it.

I was 7 years old and couldn't find my Barbie dolls. This was a big deal because my parents expected me to take care of my toys. I was very upset and wanted a replacent for Christmans. Christmas morning came and alas I did not get that replacement.

We went to my grandparents house and she gave me a gift to open. Imagine my surprise when it was my "lost" Barbie doll. I was not amused.

Then she told me to look further. There in my Barbie doll case were several hand-sewn Barbie doll outfits. Then she explained, she had "barrowed" my doll so she could fit the outfits that she had been working on for some time. I was thrilled, especially because I had hardly any outfits for my two dolls.

Some of them weren't finished and were missing snaps or buttons. She apologized and promised to complete the project but explained that she wanted me to have them Christmas day.

Those buttons and snaps never were swen on but over the years the clothes meant more to me "unfinished" than perhaps they would have otherwise. You see, I was too young to understand it at the time, but Grandma was dying from cancer and had become too ill to complete the task. She died a few months later.

Over the years, those missing snaps and buttons reminded me that grandma loved me so much that she worked on this special project for me even while she was dying.

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.
Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a wonderful story!! Thanks, Gahagan!

Maybe my best present was a clarinet when I was in junior high??? It represents all the fun I had in band for the next 10 yrs.

I'm so excited to GIVE the best present ever this year!!

I'm giving my oldest brother a framed picture of our dad when he was in WWII. Next to it is a "V mail" from WWII. He had sent it to his sister during the war.

My aunt gave it to me several years ago, but I want to make sure it gets handed down to my niece and nephew.. not sure who my brother will give it to.

I don't have any children and don't want this to get lost when I pass away.

I think my brother is REALLY going to like this!!!!! Our dad passed away 17 yrs ago.

Merry Christmas everyone!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Yep. I bet it will bring tears to his eyes.
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are such nice things. They make me cry and smile at the same time!

There are sooooooooo many Christmas gifts given and received that it is hard to pick just one! Let's see....

There was the year I got my 14 year old son and my father a couple of tickets to see their favorite base ball team.... the Orioles. That was a funny one!

On Christmas morning they opened the presents and discovered the tickets. They were VERY surprised and VERY happy to have them! They always LOVED going to see the Orioles together. Anyhow...

It took a while, but finally my son came to me and whispered...

"Mom, thank you for the ticket but you bought the wrong ones. This is the O's playing against the Minnesota Twins.... but it is for a game in Minnesota. It is not for the Memorial Stadium in Baltimore."

About the same time my dad realized they were not the local tickets too and spoke up so everyone could hear... telling the whole world how I'd gotten the wrong tickets.

Being the "dumb girl" that I am.... I said ..

"Oh NO! I'll have to try to fix that!"

Well, they teased me for being so "dumb" and they laughed and laughed...

But when the dust finally settled and everyone went back to chatting and opening packages... I heard my dad say...

"I just opened a present and it was an airline ticket to fly to Minnesota!"

Not so dumb after all, eh?

[lol]

Well, my son got an airline ticket too...

And for a joint present they got a reservation in a nice motel in Minnesota and a bunch of brochures for things to see and do while there for 4 days.

I still smile and can still hear the excitement in their voices and see how their faces lit up when they realized they were going to the great state of Minnesota - their first time ever... and...

How my son giggled about getting to be on a plane trip- his first flight ever-

And getting to go see their favorite team play ball....

And how happy they were to be going together on the adventure.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo, I know your brother will appreciate that wonderfully thoughtful gift.

Tincup, great story. It actually brought a smile to my face (and I needed that big time today).

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

What an adventure for them TC
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was cool, Tincup!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement