LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » how do i feed my birds in this snow??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do i feed my birds in this snow??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have over 7 inches here in keller, texas.

these morning and whitewing doves always come to the backyard and i feed them.

my babies are now sitting in the trees and we usually put out feed on the ground, cause doves won't feed at a bird feeder, so we put corn and bird seed down.

well it's snowing so hard it covered up the first batch i put out for them. the poor things are huddled up together in the trees, and i'm all going crazy afraid they'll freeze or something.

so i'm sitting here telling God to keep them warm and asking him how to feed them. Mike says well the Lord will provide for them.

but i'm worried about how to feed them.

i know, i know, but it's cold and i don't want them to die.

anybody got any ideas?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you can put the food on a tray of some sort. The birds will watch you do it .... so put it out, then go inside and after some time they may eat it. They are prey, so they will be very cautious about the change. Do NOT look straight at them while you're outside, cover up on eye if you want to look at them while you're putting the feed out so that they don't identify you as a predator.

Also, I'm moving this to off topic. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm, it's snowing so hard it's covering everything up.

and doofie, the one we recognize, all the time, has actually come up to the porch and sat there until we put food out.

most of them fly off but not her.

you don't think they'll freeze do you?

and thanks for moving it.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Birds are smart. They will try to find a somewhat protected place (bushes or brush) to stay out of the wind and snow.

Tomorrow you can shovel or brush the snow out from under their normal feeding area. Then you can put the seed out as usual.

Birds also like raisins, nuts, and breads if you have those to offer too. I'm sure your poor little Texas birds are not used to having to look for food in the snow.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It"s probably stopped snowing by now- but in the future-if snow is forecast turn a large plastic bin upside down-so when it stops snowing you can remove it and have a bare spot of ground.
Or move your car- it's probably bare ground under that.

Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they'll be fine. We have doves who live up here, and you know how cold it gets in Ohio.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll be fine. I'm sure they don't depend solely on what you feed them. Think about how cold and for how long it is cold up north from you. The birds that stay will do fine.

Enjoy the snow!!!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda09
Member # 21892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll be fine during the snow. Once the snow stops you can throw seed out in their normal spot on top of the snow. Birds are very lightweight and usually they can actually walk on top of the snow without going too far in. They'll eat what's there and slightly compact down the snow while they're there.

You can also simply throw seed out the window or door. Its preferable to do this near some shrubs or bushes so they feel like they have cover.

We had about 10 inches and my birds were on the ground (on top of the snow) picking out the seeds I threw out as soon as the snows stopped.

Linda

Posts: 24 | From New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement