LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » "CARD SERVICES" SCAM!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "CARD SERVICES" SCAM!!!
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was almost scammed the other day. Someone called asking if I'd like to lower my credit card interest rates. Of course I said yes!

Then he went on to finally ask for my expiration date.... Stupid me gave it to him. Then finally I asked if he was going to ask me for my credit card number too??

And he said yes, he would have to have it "to make sure I qualify." That's when my brain woke up!! (whew!)

I said, "Well, I'll call my credit card company first." He said that would be fine and he would call me back on Friday.

I decided to look online and there it was! Scam!! The guy was really slick and I can't believe I was even partially sucked in!! [bonk]

Someone on the scam info I was reading said this company hung up on them real quick when the person asked why he was calling them since they were on the "no call list."

So when I receive my call, I will ask him that!!!

Do you guys know who I could call to help catch this man in action??

---Google "card services scam"---

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
may be call your state's Attorney General office or the Better Business office.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Did you get their number? I doubt they will call back after you said "wait" - they know that you know now and they will not risk calling back.

The next time, ask their number (they may not give it to you) but try a *69 after they hang up for the "last call" identification.

If you are on the No-Call list, you can also use this to report sales calls.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They called me several times. "This is your last chance to lower your interest rates..." that's all I heard before hanging up. Then one day I got annoyed, this is unusual because I'm a very patient person, but I felt terrible and they woke me up when I was taking a much needed nap. And I had to search for the phone which made me even more frustrated.

So they again (for like the 30th time) told me it was my "last chance blah blah blah...". I waited until he was done with his script then asked how he got my name. Silent pause. Apparently he didn't know my name. I told him not to bother me again. He said "OK"! We both hung up at the same time.

About a week later I heard that he called my elderly neighbor too. She figured out it was a scam because he didn't know what type of credit card that she had. Smart lady.

So be careful everyone. The scammer was nice and polite, sounded like a good salesman with his perfected script.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and each time this guy called his number came up as "unknown" on my caller ID so I never got his phone number to report him.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my phone you can dial *60 to ban them from calling you any more. I'm on the "do not call list", but this doesn't seem to matter to them anymore.

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I've been rather ill with stomach issues the past several weeks.... so I did nothing about reporting him.

I'm not sure I understand what you meant, Keebler..."If you are on the no call list you can also use this to report sales calls."

I'm pretty sure I have his phone number. It was from Georgia.

Meg.. I'm PMing you with a question.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Meg, thanks for that tip about *60. You are right, many still call under the guise of "marketing"

TuTu, you have their phone number and you are on the "Do Not Call" list, you can file a complaint here:

https://www.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

=========

As for the matter of the scam, that should go to official government agencies,

dmc suggests: "your state's Attorney General office or the Better Business office"
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would report this guy AND ban him from calling!

I've had some questions about the *60, so I'll add what I know here:

After you receive an annoying call, hang up, and dial the *60.

This feature bans the LAST call you received....so you have to do it immediately.
It makes a list of numbers, I have about 25 on mine! and is free with our land line phone service.

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thank you very much for the info, Meg and Keebler!!! I will report him!!

He DID NOT call me today!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These people just make random calls, hoping to find suckers. You are not being targeted. Everyone has credit cards, so they are going to hit a credit card holder on nearly every call.

This really is a law enforcement matter, so if you can get a number, report it to your state AG.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement