LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Computer Questions » blue screen - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: blue screen - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 9 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting this blue screen error DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL around every other time I turn on my computer for about 2 weeks. (If I shut it and turn it back on it's gone.)

I have installed the software for the new mouse but other than that I haven't really added anything.

It also says:

"Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing"

I have no idea where to find BIOS memory to play with the options. (Heck, I don't really know what BIOS memory is.)

Anyone know the fix for this? Seems to me it has something to do with RAM but I have no clue.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.
TIA

Oh, maybe of significance, I also get script error when clicking on an occasional MSN live messenger tabs.

I am using XP pro.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I defragged and did what ever clean up I could think of last week and it helped for a few days.

Yesterday I dumped all the temporary internet files.

It hasn't happened today.

I also had tried the microsoft site and it was the same amount of help it usually is. Pffft... I'm not sure why they bother writing that stuff.

So for now I'm just waiting to see if the other shoe drops.

I still don't where to find settings for BIOS memory. XP is not nearly as accessable as 98 used to be. I hate that there are things hidden so I can't find them. (There's really no reason to try to save me from myself I'm perfectly capable of screwing something up with or without their help.) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It did it again!  -

Anyone else have any ideas???

--------------------
more light, more love

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry sweetie [Frown] . Just checked with my tech support. You have "the blue screen of death". [shake] [group hug]

He said you hit "F2" when it's booting up to get into the BIOS, but "you don't really want anyone who doesn't know what they're doing playing around in the BIOS".

He recommends you take it somewhere to have it looked at.

Sorry [Frown] ,
[group hug]
Ali
[group hug]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Thanks Ali (and thank your tech support)! [kiss]

I've deleted all my temporary internet thingies and whatever else I could think of and it seems to have stopped. (I probably just jinxed it by saying so. [Frown] )

Keeping everything crossed and hoping I can make this computer last a while longer.

(Honestly, I think the thing causing problems was the MSN games site. I dumped all that. I'm having problems since they forced live messenger and live hotmail on me, too. Could be time for a gmail account.)

--------------------
more light, more love

MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello [Smile]

Man that problem can be a lot of different things. It's a catch all error.

But....

Have you recently installed any new hardware in the PC?

If so, I would open the case and make sure all the cards are a tight fit in the slots. Also make sure your memory is seated firmly.

These things can also happen if you knocked your PC over or it got a good hit from a vacuum or a chair.

If it's an older PC it could mean something is on the way out and that is usually either the Video Card or the Ram.

So check for anything loose, even your keyboard and mouse connections.

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your response.

That problem seems to have resolved with doing some clean up. I had installed a new mouse (wireless) and thought that was the problem.

It maybe but a different issue, it goes wonky sometimes. I have no idea.

Lately, I'm more concerned with the "airplane taking off noise". It's happened twice in a week and can't find anything else to vacuum or clean. Yesterday a pound on the case seemed to help. I'm thinking something is loose but wonder if it isn't one of my screws. [Wink]

Probably uninstaling and reinstalling the mouse might not be a bad idea, anyway.

trueblue

--------------------
more light, more love

MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MusicMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi True [Smile]

Well, banging on the case? Probably not a good thing to do. [Big Grin]

I would still suggest opening the case and making sure evrything is seated properly in the case.

How old is the PC?

Could be the motherboard but without opening and checking inside first we won't know.

Steve

Posts: 406 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Hiya Steve,

Hehehe, the banging on the case was only after all other options were exhausted. (Ok, or I hit my frustration threshold.)
[bonk]
Funny, because I am not usually a fix-it-with-a-hammer type.

Next round I'll recheck everything. I usually make sure nothing is loose. But I imagine that vibration has to be something. It seems to be coming from the top rear of the case(there are a couple of fans there).

Unfortunately, I have no clue what a motherboard looks like. A slightly larger circuit board thing than the others???

I'm very good at taking things apart and putting them together but am lacking in the electronic/computer component department.

Oh, the computer is, hmmm, I think I have it for about 3 years and it was someone else's before me. They just moved my hard drive into it when they gave it to me. (I'm guessing 5 or 6 years.)

Thanks again for the input. I'll have a look around when next it starts buzzing. (I'm so not in the mood to climb under the desk again.) [Roll Eyes]

true

--------------------
more light, more love

MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Hi True [Smile]

Yes, that sound is probably one of the fans.

As far as the motherboard goes, yes it is the big board that everything connects to but nothing you would want to mess with. [Smile]

I was just saying maybe the motherboard and if it was, then I would suggest a new PC.

When you are up to it do the full check inside and also check your fans for dirt and dust.

Steve

trueblue
Member # 7348

Yes, johnny, there were numbers and it was doing a memory dump (I don't remember the numbers... wrote them down somewhere). I followed all the instructions and then came up against the BIOS memory thing and was stumped.

Cleaning out the temporary internet files and all the junk from MSN games seems to have stopped it. *crosses fingers, knocks wood*

It hasn't done that in a few weeks.

It is sort of slowing down on me at times and there's the airplane noise...

Yeah, Steve, thanks, I'll take out all the fans and clean them for real next round. I've only been vacuuming and maybe things need tightening or a fan is dying. (Temp is ok, though.)

I'd really like the puter to last a while. I can't afford a new one. I guess I should be backing stuff up. I'm not even sure how other than to burn stuff I want to disk. (Can I back up programs?) If I set a restore point it won't help if the thing dies.

heh, I'm babbling aren't I? [lol]

--------------------
more light, more love

MusicMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11966

Hi True [Smile]

No, you can't back up programs but that's ok as long as you have all your CD'S for those programs. You are better off re installing things like that anyhow.

The rest, like text files, music, pictures you can back up to CD or DVD. Always a good practice as you never know when your hard drive could crash, not that I think think that's what the problem is.

That airplane sound could be one of the fans and the worse case scenario is the motherboard. A leaky resistor would make that sound as well as some other electronic components.

I say back up as soon as possible, just in case. [Smile]

Steve

trueblue
Member # 7348

Yikes! [Wink]

I don't have the programs on CD. [bonk]
Someone else built this computer and installed the operating system. It's a registered copy but I haven't got the disks.

The electronic component scenario worries me a little. I'll start backing things up.

Thanks

--------------------
more light, more love

trueblue
Member # 7348

Bummer!
I've got that airplane noise again. [Frown] I guess tomorrow morning will be take it apart and clean and check everything day.

Sure wish I backed stuff up. [Roll Eyes]

I think I'll do that after the checking in the morning. *crosses fingers; knocks wood*

--------------------
more light, more love

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement