LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » News and Information » Press Releases / News » NY Event witih Authors May 19th -PLEASE COME!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NY Event witih Authors May 19th -PLEASE COME!!
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote this entire post and it got accidentally erased. SO MAD!!
I would like to make everyone aware of a fantasTICK event planned for May 19th in New York City and I URGE you all to come.

Amy Tan has started a group for those in the publishing world, including some very famous authors, entitled "Literati with Lyme."

Their website can be found at http://www.lymeliterati.org

A blurb about this group:

"Literati with Lyme is an effort by nationally-known authors, publishers, editors, literary agents, other publishing professionals, and the national Lyme Disease Association to raise awareness of this growing infectious disease threat and to raise funds for research on a cure."

Literati with Lyme will host an event for the public at New York University entitled ``Writer's Block of the Worst Kind,'' featuring Amy Tan, Meg Cabot, E. Jean Carroll, Jordan Fisher Smith, Rebecca Wells (YA-YA Sisterhood!!) and Jennifer Weis, executive editor, St. Martin's Press - - in conversation WITH - - -

Brian Fallon M.D. and Joseph Burrascano MD!!

Tan, Cabot, Caroll, and Smith, (and Wells I believe) who have all had Lyme, will discuss how the disease affected their lives and books. Drs. Fallon and Burrascano will talk about the physiological causes of the the authors' often frustrating and sometimes hair-raising experiences with the disease.

There will be an opportunity for members of the public to submit questions to the authors and doctors.

Proceeds will be used by the Lyme Disease Association for research including the Endowed Columbia Lyme Disease Research Center. The Expository Writing Department and The School of Social Work are NYU co-sponsors.

This is an important event for Lyme People to make every effort to attend.

Its ONLY $20 (I know, ONLY is a LOT!!)
But its important that among other good reasons, FOR THE SAKE OF THE PRESS AND MEDIA, we turn out in numbers to show the number of people affected by this devastating disease.

There will be a press breakfast the day before, and a private reception the night before, to pave the way and to get media attention focused.

I ONLY GO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO NEW YORK CITY and I am going to list different ways to get to the NYU site by public transportation.

Tickets can be purchased on line by going to the www.lymeliterati.org site or by sending in a check to the address there see http://www.lymeliterati.org/literati_lyme_register2.html

The title of THIS event is ``Writer's Block of the Worst Kind'' (blurb follows)

MAIN EVENT: Everyone is invited to come and hear some of publishing's most respected professionals discuss how their illness, Lyme disease, has impacted their lives and their livelihood. They will be joined on stage by Joseph Burrascano, MD, one of the most renowned Lyme disease treating physicians and Brian Fallon, MD, Associate Professor, Clinical Psychiatry, Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC); Director, Lyme Disease Center, CUMC & NY State Psychiatric Institute, who just completed the NIH long term re-treatment study. A question and answer session will follow the event.

BOOK SIGNING: Books by participating authors will be available for sale.
You do NOT have to buy a book to come, just please make every effort to attend and show our numbers to the world.

I will note that one Lyme teen, despite years of treatment and seeing other folks very ill and debilitated with Lyme disease, DID NOT BELIEVE she had Lyme disease UNTIL Amy Tan talked and wrote about it and this IN SOME WAY turned the tide of her belief and her acceptance. I don't know if this resonates with anyone you may know but if so,
BRING THEM.

These national authors are using their fame and their communication abilities to try to make headway for us.

So please join me there and it will be good to see you all again or meet you for the first time.

Lets show the public and the press our numbers and support these authors, too!!

Directions

Most IMportant:
Clean Bathrooms NY' http://gonyc.about.com/cs/atozinde1/a/bathrooms.htm

I am giving subway directions, the bus directions all involve a transfer, one more way for us to get lost!!

The "A Train" 8th Avenue Express runs all hours, every 20 to 30 minutes or more often, and is accessible from near Port Authority bus terminal or near Penn Station train station.

It is 2.00 per trip - DON'T buy two tickets at once, they expire in two hours. Buy one on the way there and one on the way back.

From Port Authority Bus Station

Entrance near intersection of West 42nd St and 8th Ave

(Port Authority Bus Station, I believe you can access it indoors there, going down to the "Basement" - ask directions!)

Take the "A train" from 42 Street station heading Downtown/Far Rockaway

Pass 34 Street - Penn Station

Pass 14 Street

Get off at W 4 Street - Washington Sq

Exit W 4 Street - Washington Sq station
Exit near intersection of Avenue of the Americas and West 4th St

Start out going (EAST) on West 4th St towards Washington Sq South

Turn right onto Washington Sq South - its right there!

New York University Kimmel Center Eisner & Lubin Auditorium, 60 Washington Square South, New York, New York 10012 (212) 988 4900 Kimmel Operations Office

Total travel time 22 mins. (not including subway wait time).

From Penn Station (ask if you can access the A Train from indoors, I think you can) - otherwise:

Start out going on West 34th St towards 8th Ave subway Entrance near intersection of West 34th St and 8th Ave

Take the "A train" from 34 Street - Penn Station station heading Downtown/Far Rockaway

Pass 14 Street

Exit near intersection of Avenue of the
Americas and West 4th St

Start out going (EAST) on West 4th St towards Washington Sq South

New York University Kimmel Center Eisner & Lubin Auditorium, 60 Washington Square South, New York, New York 10012 (212) 988 4900 Kimmel Operations Office

Total travel time 18 mins. (not including subway wait time).

From Grand Central Station

Entrance near intersection of East 42nd St and Lexington Ave

Take the "7 train" from 42 Street - Grand Central station heading to Manhattan

Get off at 5 Avenue

TRANSFER

Take the B train from 42 Street station heading Downtown

Pass 34 Street - Herald Sq

Exit near intersection of Avenue of the Americas and West 4th St

Start out going on West 4th St towards Washington Sq South

Total travel time 25 mins. (not including subway wait time).

Maps Links:

Love this one - it has directions and little maps http://www.hopstop.com/

NY Transportation http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mta/maps.htm

NYU Maps http://www.nyu.edu/maps.nyu

More directions from NYU site http://www.nyu.edu/travel.nyu http://www.nyu.edu/maps.nyu

IP: Logged

OptiMisTick
posted 19 April 2005 10:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement