LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Winnipeg Wall of Hope Fri July 4, 2008

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Winnipeg Wall of Hope Fri July 4, 2008
Mary J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CanLyme is planning another Wall of Hope event, this time in Winnipeg MB, Fri Jul 4, 2008.

We'll gather at the provincial legislature in Winnipeg to protest the poor testing in Canada.

We need a good turnout and hope for even more than were in Ottawa http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/09/14/lymedisease-awareness.html?ref=rss

Please come, bring your friends and family, or if you cannot attend send someone in your place!

There will be a dinner and talks the same day; details to follow here.

Help us get the word out - tell anyone you know who can come.

We welcome everyone, from everywhere!

Join us in Winnipeg.

Mary

Posts: 267 | From Abbotsford BC | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mary,

is your WALL OF HOPE FOR CANADIANS ONLY?

would you canadians consider some stories/photos of your lyme allies in USA? just a thought ok! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty,

This is not exclusively for Canadians, in fact we have people coming from the US and welcome more!

It's for Lyme awareness regardless of where you live so please join us if you can.

Mary

Posts: 267 | From Abbotsford BC | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mary, can't PHYSICALLY go there, but do you have a list of NAMES/STATES, etc. on your "wall" of hope??
Mary J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4234

Betty, I sent you a PM and when I hear your answers I'll post here again.

Thank you!
Mary

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mary, i gave you a short reply since i'm so sick! [Mad]
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I ask if there is actually a wall--or is that metaphorical? I ask because some years back, there was a breast cancer awareness campaign in the US that included a Wall of Hope--and it had photos of women who had survived breast cancer. (Kind of like the AIDS quilt--it started small and ended up growing large.)
Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jb, i hope mary will post the explanation she sent me in her pm; i encouraged her to do so; it explains their project well! [Wink]
Mary J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4234

I should explain to you how the name Wall of Hope was coined. About one year ago two other CanLyme members and myself were tossing about the idea of holding a rally in Hope BC, which is the home of Dr Ernie Murakami. We planned on standing shoulder to shoulder to protest lack of treatment/treating doctors/decent testing etc in Canada. The component word Wall was the formation of a human wall, Hope for Dr Ernie's town in BC. Then we abandoned the idea of rallying in Hope and took it to the federal level and went to the Parliament in Ottawa instead.

We've made significant gains since our first Wall in Sep 07 in that we have federal and provincial governments coming to the table to speak with us, but we will not let up the pressure and are going to Winnipeg next as that is where the national microbiology lab for Canada is located (even tho we're actually demonstrating at the provincial legislature buildings because the Nat Lab is highly secure and low visibility).

Our biggest problem here is the lousy testing used which allows Health Canada to keep the numbers of cases artificially low. How does less than 100 cases per year in Canada grab ya? This compared to well over 20,000 annually in the US...well we think the correct number would be about 1/10th of the US cases = 2,000, this based on population.

However, I digress...as usual..sorry,

you asked about cases/states etc and I'm not quite sure what you meant by that but we plan to also have photos of Lymies who are unable to attend, either on banners or individually carried by those who are attending. The photos can be incognito or not and will show the person's first name and province (or state as is the case).

We're keeping it basically simple: demanding better testing and demanding that IGeneX and other accredited US lab results be acceptable in Canada (which at present they are NOT!!) if you can believe it.

We've got them at the table and we have to keep up the pressure, the squeaky wheel, if you will.

[ 14. April 2008, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Mary J ]

Mary J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4234

up
Mary J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4234

up

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement