LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » march to raise awareness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: march to raise awareness
MirandaVB
Member # 16581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MirandaVB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was thinking after having been denied access to my Lyme doctor and hearing over and over and over again, "Oh you're sick...with what? Isn't that the joint issue? that's no big deal!" There needs to be an awareness day or something.

I'm sure there has been things like this done before, but it needs to happen again.

I dont care how much work it takes, I've organized events before and would have no problem heading up an event like this, but I was thinking about how last year there was a Global Day for Darfur event held on the DC mall.

I want to there to be Lyme Disease Awareness Day held at the Washington Mall...this year!

Who's with me? 5 or 5,000 people, I will start this rolling either way.

Posts: 44 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
may 13 it international day for fibro/chronic fatigue/lyme !! [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Staris
Member # 17648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Staris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Organizing at the time of the IDSA public hearing (its in DC) in April I think would make sense too. Or just do a large demonstration at the hearing.
Posts: 30 | From DC | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayasdad
Member # 15675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayasdad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in - with my seven year old daughter who cannot even talk due to Lyme!!!

--------------------
Visit www.caringbridge.org/visit/kayaraigh http://www.lymelightassociation.org LIGHTING THE WAY TOWARD LYME LITERACY. An up and coming organization with the goal of educating the public on Lyme disease and associated tick borne illnesses.

Posts: 52 | From WV | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mushroomman06
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mushroomman06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in. 95% to the good since treatment, but the train has left the station and my LLMD is laying on the tracks
Posts: 108 | From maryland | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's march! Count me in. We need lots of people!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too
Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll come!
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MirandaVB
Member # 16581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MirandaVB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay! Alright, I'm thinking the may 13th awareness day thing might be a good plan...

I have been talking to someone who sets up venues in DC and he is going to help with getting permits and setting up staging areas, as well as getting other people to help with the whole construction side of things.

Yay! Awareness day here we come!

Posts: 44 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tie it in to May Lyme Disease awareness month, which is now recognized by all levels of gov't - federal, state, local...
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingattitude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Id definatley love to be there too.
Id need someone to help me with travelling, I tend to get overwhelmed and confused easily.

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

Posts: 69 | From another planet far far away | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roo
Member # 19104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in!! Let me know date time etc.
Posts: 3 | From Gainesville, Va | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou4656
Member # 10300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou4656     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in!

--------------------
LouLou

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
This sounds great! You should maybe post it in medical, to get more attention. Can you post when you have more details.

Thanks,
Ann

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ann, i saw a note late last night from moderator, loub, saying to KEEP ALL ACTIVISM POSTS HERE AND NOT IN MEDICAL!!

he stated as soon as he sees any of them there; they will moved PROMPTLY BACK HERE! fyi only.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let him...Some peope will still see it before it gets moved. I really wish there was a way to get more people over here, but the fact of the matter is people don't come here, so they aren't even seeing the information.

It's funny though it you add "medicine" somewhere to the post or title you can put it over there.

Not sure if any else has noticed this. So play along put "let's march for medicine", and then it can stay...

Most of us are fighting to get the medicine we need!
Don't worry though the actually march can be about awareness...LOL sorry about my sarcasm...Just feeling fresh!

But on a more serious note,I think if it is helping us all and in the best interest of the Lyme community as a whole, it should be able to be posted anywhere on here. So long as it raises more awareness. I hate to see us get hung up on techincalities and miss out on valuable information because of it.

Ann

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!!! Count me in and I will be more than happy to help anyone with rides. I love me a road trip especially for this!!! I can hold 4 people possibly 5 in my car. Let me know details ASAP so I can make arrangments.

WAHOOOOOO!!!

Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds good........lets do it
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

So, are we planning on going to Washington in May? If so, I am definitly in. I am going to cancel my Keys vacation and go to Washington for that weekend!

Please let me know so I can go ahead and book my flight. Anyone else in? I would love to meet you all!

Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MirandaVB
Member # 16581

sorry i haven't given any more information thus far...

I'm trying trying trying to get this set up...in a legal way =)

I will keep everyone updated.

As far as days goes....the 13th was suggestion, anyone have better days?

No dates are set in stone thus far.

JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Thats cool Miranda, let me know if I can do anything to help.

So, since I am new to all this? Do you set up a booth or something or can you just march around like the things I seen back in the 70's and stuff? Like on Forest Gump?

LMAO, I am silly!

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My step daughter lives there. Last time I was there, people marched right in front of the capital building. If I feel up to it at all, I am in.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one loves a protest more than ME!

[Big Grin]

A few ideas and thoughts.. helpful I hope. Somethings to think about... and you may have already thought about them or done them.

You might want to be sure other groups in the tri-state area and beyond (PA, NJ, MD, VA, DC, DE, WV, CT, etc- and Lyme Rights and national organizations too) aren't planning something that would conflict with your plans.... or take away from theirs.

In my opinion, it is always best to contact organizations who care about Lyme in advance of your planned event so your efforts and theirs aren't diminished in any way.

Try to work together when ever possible because manpower and money is short in supply.

Keep in mind that the LDA/ILADS Conference this year will be just outside of DC in October.

Keep in mind the IDSA duckquarters building is right outside of DC.

Consider your intended audience and goal.

The President signed on to cosponsor the bill last year, so he knows. 116 Congressman signed on to cosponsor the bill too and many more support it, so they know.

Will Congress be in session then or not?

Are there other protests, plans or events that time of year that will overshadow your event?

Are there any you could join in with to save yourselves time and effort?

Will tourists from Japan, Australia, etc who come to see Archie Bunker's chair at the Smithsonian in the DC mall be able to help you... care about you and your cause.. OR..

Would you like to focus your money, time and energy where it might do more good?

Do you have bathroom access for all?

Money for security deposits and set-up?

Wheelchairs for those who can't walk from the closest parking garages or spaces?

Water and food?

An inside place for inclement weather?

Trained EMT's or ambulance access close by for folks who WILL be overcome by the weather/smells/crowds/noise?

All the necessary permits?

And last for now...

Did you order hand engraved invitations to send to the IDSA?

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement