LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Lyme Debate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Debate
Cooter
Member # 20674

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Cooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All -

I am a chronic lyme disease patient and I am looking for a little help with an attempt I'm making to gain public awareness and scrutiny for Lyme's current status in the medical community. I have been a usability engineer and mechanical/architectural designer, but at this time I am using my current decent health to try and get a proper debate going on the TV show 'The Doctors'. With input from the right people, I believe the producers of this show can, and will, do a Lyme debate justice, which I hope will assist others in their efforts on behalf of Lyme suffers.

On the show's message boards, in the feedback section, I have made a request for the show to host a lyme debate, fortunately or unfortunately its the only request of its kind.

My goal is to get get the attention of 'The Doctor's' producers with a concentrated, semi-organized voice in one place. But this idea needs help in the form of supporting posts.

If you read the post, please feel free to correct me any where I am wrong, make suggestions for improving my request and offer other suggested experts for the debate panel.

If you support the call for a debate, please add a post on the doctor's site saying anything, even if you are skeptical!

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/forums/171-Feedback/topics/4462-We-need-a-debate-on-LYME-

If the link doesn't work, it is: www.thedoctorstv.com > Community > Message Boards > Feedback > "We need a debate on LYME!"

If a lyme patient falls in the forest and no one hears do they really have lyme.....? Be heard!!!!!

[ 06-09-2009, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Cooter ]

Posts: 45 | From VT | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I'm not sure they will be interested or that the format would allow the time needed. And - they really botched a recent chance at this. They had a mere mention when they could have done much more.

The performers who are on "The Doctors" do not want to alienate their colleagues. By telling the truth about lyme, this will happen. If you notice, too, most TV stations have many ads for your local hospitals. They control a lot of the content on programs and will not likely want a program about lyme.

Moving it away from commercial sponsorships and short time constraints, I would love to see PBS FRONTLINE do a full hour feature on this, or even a couple of programs.

I think FRONTLINE is the only group who could devote the time and who has the required intelligence to investigate this and also host a panel discussion.

They did an excellent job with this these series recently:

One on the heart and another on health care around the world. I have link in my file but really have to put my head down now.

you can go to PBS' website and link to FRONTLINE to see more about their work.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6974

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Keebler. It's not limited to The Doctors. Oz will never do it either and we emailed the daylights out of him and Oprah.

The Frontline series is a great idea!

ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cooter
Member # 20674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear and understand your skepticism. I am aware of the odds and logistics. However, I'm not going to roll over so easily.

Lyme is invisible to those who don't have it - the invisibility is part of what is fueling the lyme controversy. Let's not write the Drs off as uncaring SOBs just yet - if they help, it will be a very powerful resource.

I am used to big projects, I am going to take this one to the ropes - so I could use the support despite your skepticism.

I agree Frontline would be a good place to focus on. But with lyme, I have to do one thing at once - and right now this is my limit.

I hope you'll add some supporting posts to the call for a lyme debate, despite the odds... You won't decrease the odds by posting!

If skeptism is all you got post that on the request!!! Every little bit helps!

Posts: 45 | From VT | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I'm not really sure LLMDs would want to take part in a debate. A panel discussion sounds less like a fight.

This event may be exactly what you have in mind. It may be video taped, I hope:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/82106

Topic: IDSA announces presenters and order of presentation

The Infectious Diseases Society of America has selected presenters to speak before its Lyme disease guidelines review panel on July 30. (This is part of the guidelines review process mandated by the IDSA's settlement with the Attorney General of Connecticut.)

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good topic. I love & respect Frontline for many reasons...they are incredible.

I watched UOS recently with a friend that is a doctor, and I picked up so much more information than the last time I watched it.

That said, what could Frontline do that Under Our Skin has not? Maybe a lot, I am just wondering what stones are unturned that would help the Lyme patient community? What are the top 2 or 3 issues that could be amplified?

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cooter
Member # 20674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler & ping,

Keebler, I particularly like your comment:

"I'm not sure they will be interested or that the format would allow the time needed. And - they really botched a recent chance at this. They had a mere mention when they could have done much more.

The performers who are on "The Doctors" do not want to alienate their colleagues. By telling the truth about lyme, this will happen. If you notice, too, most TV stations have many ads for your local hospitals. They control a lot of the content on programs and will not likely want a program about lyme.

.... Moving it away from commercial sponsorships and short time constraints, I would love to see PBS FRONTLINE do a full hour feature on this, or even a couple of programs."

Ping, I really like your comment:

"Oz will never do it either and we emailed the daylights out of him and Oprah."

These kind of well communicated comments really help non-lymies understand our frustration.

I really hope you put these comments on the Drs site, despite your low expectations.

Every little bit helps - if we don't make noise we don't exist.

I'm not asking you to get your hopes up, just asking for support for the effort - I'll do the rest.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/forums/171-Feedback/topics/4462- We-need-a-debate-on-LYME-

If the link doesn't work, it is: www.thedoctorstv.com > Community > Message Boards > Feedback > "We need a debate on LYME!"

ping
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6974

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That said, what could Frontline do that Under Our Skin has not? Maybe a lot,

Frontline is a nationally syndicated show on public television. UOS is at this time relegated to theatre release.

ping

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cooter
Member # 20674

Cold Feet -

That's kind of where I'm at.

I don't need more info, like a show Frontline would give me,(well I'm sure I could use it, but...) the world of non-lymies needs more info.

To me, Oz and Oprah HAVE an excuse not to do the lyme thing - its beyond their scope. Now, of course they could do a show if they really wanted to, but I'm focusing on the Drs because they have no such argument.

The Drs show can be argued as entrainment, it can be argued as educational.

But as a show advertising itself being about important medical issues, it can NOT be argued a show on lyme is out of their scope. This is where I am hoping to gain a foot hold.

Frontline would be great - I'm sure they would do a great job - but not really the audience I'm targeting.

I really hope you all put your comments on the Drs site. I would like the opportunity include this very discussion on the Drs site reiterating the Drs don't have a "its beyond our scope" excuse....

Every little bit helps - if we don't make noise we don't exist.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/forums/171-Feedback/topics/4462- We-need-a-debate-on-LYME-

Cooter
Member # 20674

Keebler -

I didn't miss your comment about:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/82106

I'm letting it ferment, I'm trying to decide how to use it.

Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone delivered a copy of UOS to Frontline yet? I'd be happy to hand deliver it...I may even know a few people that work there.

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Cooter,

I did not reply to that thread. But I do recall suggesting that your energy and enthusiasm would be appreciated by the activism people at the LDA. Working through an established organization has a lot of advantages.

-==

oh . . . I see. I suggested that the meeting of presenters will be a bit of a debate. Maybe there is someway you can work with the LDA on that . . . or attend it, etc.

-

Cooter
Member # 20674

Keebler -

"I did not reply to that thread."

I have to say I am disappointed, in my view, posting a supporting post can only help and requires minimal involvement. Others share this view. http://underourskin.com/blog/?p=191

But, of course, do what you think is right.

"But I do recall suggesting that your energy and enthusiasm would be appreciated by the activism people at the LDA. Working through an established organization has a lot of advantages."

Agreed. I have not gotten a response from them. I'm not trying to work with out them or around them, its just that now is a busy time for them. The Jul 30th re-hearing and fielding suggestions for it is taking up a lot of their attention.

I am trying to support their efforts by a choosing a minimal involvement, one-time contribution from those who want more balanced exposure for lyme disease. That way it can't interfere with any efforts by the LDA, CALDA and others, only support them.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cooter, 1 of repliers to your drs. thread joined here tonight .... melissa....

frankly cooter,

i think if you are going for a debate, drs. shown is not the venue for it:

larry king live
? dr. phil
dr. oz
20/20 ...

greta van ....

people who have a 1 hr. TALK SHOW with 1 guest only.

drs. show is too split up with 4 - 10 people being covered for this & that.

not to shoot down your idea; but it's not feasible to have it THERE with their short 5 min. segments.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cooter
Member # 20674

16 voices in 23 days and counting!!! We need new voices.... only takes a few minutes and a few words....

http://tinyurl.com/drsneed2know

Cooter
Member # 20674

Well we are doing good!!! 17 different voices giving their opinion on the Doctor's coverage of Lyme. And we are often above threads about marijuana and Dr. Travis Stork (who has been called Dr. Sexy). So Lyme is holding it's own and then some against sex and drugs; any one got any ideas on de-throning rock and roll..... [Smile]

If you haven't added your voice yet, here's a recap:

The Drs' is a mainstream media outlet with 4 doctors as the show's hosts, so their voices carry weight - so what they say good or bad, helpful or harmful, will affect other Lyme efforts. They have covered Lyme twice, total coverage time less than a minute. Once with a CDC rep, 'Why Does This Hurt'. Second wasn't really coverage, '5 Summer Illnesses' they had Perry Fields on the show www.beatlymedisease.com but didn't once ask or talk to her about Lyme. A search for Lyme on their home page will reveal the shows coverage and responses.... www.thedoctorstv.com

To add your voice:

Cooter
Member # 20674

What gets measured gets done..... and we are giving them something to measure!!!

18 different voices are voicing an opinion to the Drs tv show about lyme!

1079 'views'. The next closest threads are "breast feeding in public" and "marijuana" with 482 and 477 views respectively. Not even close!!!!

Our lyme thread has not left the first page ever in a month and a half! Its almost always right near the top, if not at the top!!!!

If you haven't added your voice, now's a great time! Apply your own brand of pressure for mainstream coverage of the 30 Jul 09 IDSA re-hearing!

20 Days until the 30 Jul 09 IDSA re-hearing!!!!

Cooter
Member # 20674

20 different voices!!!

10 days until the IDSA re-hearing....

Cooter
Member # 20674

27 voices and counting!!! Great job everyone!!

7 days to the IDSA re-hearing.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cooter, looks like you took on a few more voices of your own! they write like you do and they run all paragraphs together as ONE making it hard to read .... lol

i've stopped reading there; TOO SWAMPED HERE doing what i do daily!

plus getting ready for my own under our skin showing 8-1-09 and lots to do, get flyers printed, and posted around town, etc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cooter
Member # 20674

31 voices and counting!!!!

6 Days to the IDSA re-hearing of the 2006 Lyme Guidelines!!

Thanks to Kristiana for the link to the IDSA re-hearing link: http://www.idsociety.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=14974

Be sure to check the computer you are using will run the screencast.

Cooter
Member # 20674

Betty g -

Thanks for your help. Don't run yourself down - might want to slow down - what you said before I took the wrong way the first time I read it. Maybe it's just my eyes - but none the less, just a little friendly feedback.

"cooter, looks like you took on a few more voices of your own! they write like you do and they run all paragraphs together as ONE making it hard to read .... lol"

Relax on this effort - I think we are good here for now - I will hollar if I need help.

Good luck with your other efforts.... and wish us well with this one... Congrats on the showing of Under Our Skin!

Thanks again for your help!

[Smile]

Cooter
Member # 20674

33 voices! If you are feeling particularly good add yours!!!!

Cooter
Member # 20674

36 voices!!

What did you think of the IDSA RE-hearing?

Cooter
Member # 20674

38 voices!

What did you think of the IDSA re-hearing?

Cooter
Member # 20674

No one new has added their voice in a while, how about adding yours?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement