LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Dr. Jones- Rally and Hearing- Be there!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dr. Jones- Rally and Hearing- Be there!!!!
Anna Lee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22992

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Anna Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Action Alert from:

Lyme Disease Association
Newtown Lyme Disease Task Force
Ridgefield Lyme Disease Task Force
Fairfield Lyme Resource
LDA of Eastern CT
Lyme Information Network

Two Events- Same Day

1. Attend Rally to Support Dr. Charles R. Jones!

2. Attend CT Medical Board Hearing

Dr. Jones asks for your support!

ATTEND THE RALLY IN SUPPORT OF DR. CHARLES R. JONES

and

ATTEND THE CONNECTICUT MEDICAL BOARD HEARING.

WHEN: RALLY- Tuesday, February 16 at 11:00 AM

HEARING- Following the Rally which is currently scheduled for 1:30 PM the same day*

WHERE: RALLY- Outside the CT Department of Public Health, 410 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06134

HEARING: Connecticut Department of Public Health, 410 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06134 (Room to be announced)

Note: The outdoor RALLY will be held at 11:00 AM, even if the DPH cancels or reschedules the hearing.

The Connecticut Medical Examining Board hearing is currently scheduled for 1:30 PM on February 16, 2010, the same day as the RALLY.

The DPH might change the hearing date/time BUT THE RALLY WILL STILL HAPPEN. We will all meet at 11:00 AM at the DPH Building for the rally. If the hearing goes as on scheduled, we will proceed to the hearing after the rally.

For updates and more information visit the Lyme Rights Website at www.LymeRights.org

History
As you know, Dr. Jones has already faced medical board charges and had sanctions and a fine levied against him. The actions of the Connecticut Department of Public Health against him have continued for almost 5 years.

New Charges
Dr. Jones had a second set of charges lodged against him, and now the hearing to recommend additional sanctions will be held in front of the entire Medical Examining Board. The Board will be voting on the recommendations of the current three-member panel that has been hearing the second set of charges. Attorneys for Dr. Jones and for the CT Department of Public Health will present their oral arguments regarding these recommendations.

New Sanctions

The panel is NOT recommending that Dr. Jones' license be revoked. They are, however, recommending other sanctions which are of tremendous concern:

� A second $10,000 fine (the $10,000 fine levied in the first case has been "suspended," pending the outcome of the appeal);

� Four years of supervised probation;

� Supervision conducted by a monitor hired at Dr. Jones' expense.

The current monitor, put in place as a result of the previous charges against Dr. Jones, is responsible for having now made more than 5 new complaints against him.

Action to take

We need a strong show of support for the man who has cared for so many of our children, when other pediatricians have been unable or unwilling to provide proper diagnosis and treatment for them.

Dr. Jones requests that you please try to attend the upcoming hearing, and bring as many people with you as you can!

Consequences if Dr. Jones loses ability to treat

� Further jeopardize all Lyme literate physicians' ability to treat by casting a chill on treatment climate.

� Prevent patients of all ages from receiving appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

� Negatively impact the future of so many children who depend on Dr. Jones for appropriate care.

The Lyme community needs to take a united stand to preserve the rights of doctors to treat and patients to be treated. Come and be counted!

THANKS TO ALL

The LDA thanks all of you for your cooperation with these efforts. Working together, we have made and can continue to make a difference for Lyme patients everywhere.

Posts: 127 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I can't believe this doctor still bothers to treat Lyme, but it sounds like it's good he does. No way at age 80 would I go through that!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seek - it sounds like he is togh warrior fighting for his right to help children with this tough diagnosis !

Sorry I cannot be there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ill be there
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He is a saint, and I bet he gets so much satisfaction from working with all the kids.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe he is fighting for his self at age

80. He is fighting for all lies of Lyme. Yes he is

a saint.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
f13girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for f13girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought CT had a law to protect physicians who treat with long term abx? Isn't he in CT?
Posts: 200 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, he is and apparently the state is choosing to ignore the law. This is so disgusting. Beyond belief that there could be such a corrupt state govt.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Lee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anna Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Al Capone, bad guys skirt around laws. Maybe they will end up like he did? Interesting story with a spirochete twist. AL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone

Posts: 127 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FOR THOSE THAT NEED OR OFFER A RIDE
PLEASE SHARE FAR AND WIDE!

http://lymesite.com/Jones_Feb_16_2010.htm

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A long time ago, we (lymenet members) made a list of why we like Dr. Jones. I framed it and gave it to Dr. Jones at my sons' appointment. My sons were patients of Dr. Jones from 2001 - 2004.

What We Like About Dr. Jones

by Patients & Parents from Lymenet

His kindness to his patients and their parents

He believes you

He tells the kids that they are ``fixable''

He gives kids hope

He knows a lot about Lyme & co-infections

He respects your opinion

His staff is very helpful and knowledgeable

I am in awe of him

He works seven days a week

I love his kindness and respect toward children

He trusts my judgment as a parent

He is flexible and allows me to pay in installments

He sincerely wants to help children

His staff is wonderful

He treats children with severe Lyme Disease outside of the so-called box

He has a broad base of knowledge and experience

He will entertain & respect the observations & ideas that parents have about their child

He always has something else to fall back on if a treatment isn't working

He's remarkable and a true humanitarian

He'll never give up on your child as others have

He's done something really important with his life

He heals children from Lyme

His courage

His meticulous care

His intelligence

His eyes

His heart

His running suits

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peggy,

I read your post, and I couldn't agree more with everything you have said. What an awesome gift to give Dr. Jones! I hope your children are feeling better.

For those who don't know, Dr. Jones marched with Martin Luther King during the civil rights movement. He went to divinity school with MLK, but ultimately decided medicine was his calling. There are very few people you meet in life who exemplify the qualities Dr. Jones has shown throughout the years.

If you don't mind, I've taken the liberty to add to your list!

-His warmth in greeting you and your child when you visit

-His ability to make it seem like your child is his only patient

-His sense of humor

-His strength of character

-His ability to stick to his principles and persevere, no matter what obstacle comes his way, even when it means financial ruin

-His willingness to continue practicing medicine for the sake of sick children, despite extraordinary adversity from those in power, who sit in their ivory towers, far removed from the reality of sick kids

-His unyielding dedication at age 80 to continue helping children, when he could have retired years ago and had a much easier life

-His unpretentiousness, despite the fact that he surely knows he is a hero to so many children and their parents

-His very modest office "on the other side of the tracks" from Yale, literally and figuratively

-His thorough physical examinations of children, unlike so many other physicians

-His staff's unbelievable kindness, efficiency, understanding, dedication and response time to questions and concerns, again unlike the staff of so many other doctors

Please, try to make it to this very important event.

If you are unable to attend (or even if you are able), please consider donating to Dr. Jones' legal fund. What he is going through is inexcusable. Any donation, no matter how small helps. Please give whatever you are able (I am not affiliated in any way with this, just a fan of Dr. J).

HOW TO DONATE TO THE LEGAL DEFENSE FUND:

Make Donations payable to: " Pullman & Comley Trust Account-for Dr. Charles Jones"
Mail to:
Elliott B. Pollack, Esquire
c/o Pullman & Comley, LLC
90 State House Square
Hartford, CT 06103-3702

Note "gift" in the memo field

Posts: 214 | From where ticks flourish | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

UP
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for Dr. Jones. He saved my daughter's life.
Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say that it's "not about Lyme". [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

What kind of signs should we make????????

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have ever had a child sick with Lyme... or seen one.. or been sick with Lyme yourself ... you should do everything possible to attend this event.

If you've ever had a LLMD or needed one, you should do all in your power to be at this event.

LLMD's have been there for us since day one. We need to be there for them in their hour of need.

And everyone should be supporting this dedicated doctor who is taking care of kids nationwide. He IS the man.

Please, please, please, do all you can to be there.

Please stand up for our right to be treated!

And Dr. Jones is counting on you!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I mention?

Free parking. Free shuttle. Good food and hot coffee nearby. A long wall to sit on. A central location where we WILL be seen.

And it is being held AT the site where this CRAZINESS needs to STOP! The CT Public Health Department.

What started in Connecticut- STOPS in Connecticut!

But you have to be there to tell them so!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP!
Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Now that the IDSA has been caught NOT following the rules concerning the IDSA Review Panel... and to OUR detriment...

You really NEED to be there!!!

As someone told me last night.... this is a war!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Up....

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, what can we do if we cannot be there?
Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is the free parking and shuttle?
Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Jane...

Some additional efforts are being set in motion, as we speak, that those too far away to attend the rally can do. Once we have the details worked out and everything approved, we will let you know. (One involves new software.. so it will be a while till we get it right.)

Thanks for asking... and please stand by!!! One idea is really "cool" too. But then it doesn't take much to amuse me. HA!

[Big Grin]

Grandmother... Soon we will have some more information on the LymeRights.org site with complete details, including handicapped parking, near by food places, speakers, etc.

Do note- the legislative session in CT began this week so there is a lot of extra folks around the area now.

But to answer your direct question.. the Parking Lot is just up from the DPH building. This isn't "official" yet... but here are my notes so far. Folks have been there to get the permit and as they walked the site and surrounding area, I was on the phone with them recording comments and notes.

Do note too- The DPH building (brick) is hard to identify or single out due to a small sign (?). We expect to have balloons to show the way on the day of the rally, hopefully.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````

REGULAR PARKING- Parking Lot C has free shuttles available going continuously to DPH Building and back. A Port-A-Potty is available at shuttle site.

Off street parking may be available from 8 AM to 6 PM, but only has a 2 hour limit.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````

HANDICAPPED PARKING- There are 13 handicap spaces behind the DPH building. Entrance to DPH Handicapped Parking is off Capitol Avenue.

Turn on Babcock Avenue and go behind the DPH building. Go to the gate and press intercom button. The security officer will provide instructions from there.

You can park in those sites; or as a last resort, you can be dropped off at the building while someone parks your car in Parking Lot C and takes the shuttle back to the DPH Building.

Please use caution- this is a high traffic area!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone told me last night.... this is a war!

I would love to be there to throw my mud pie eyes, but I cannot.

When you find something for us home-bound biddies to do let me know.

Besides letter writing. Done with that job. Making people mad - so the eyes would have it.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey Pine...

If you want a job to do that will help this cause ... I've got several!

Email me and I'll keep you hopping! And thanks!!!

[Big Grin]

[email protected]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Will email you probably tomorrow Pine. Thanks!

Up for Dr. Jones!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Maybe the next tomorrow Pine.. still working. Sorry!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never met the man.. but I love him!!

Hope the rally is massive!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Dr. J needs a big boost. I hope folks won't think that showing up for him is too much to ask.

Yes, it may be cold. Yes, it is not in your back yard. And yes, you probably don't feel great or feel like traveling.

But then...

I think of those things when I hear of him taking in child after child after child and helping them when he could easily have given up.

And that makes me want to do more.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

FightFireWithWater
Member # 5781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FightFireWithWater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a sign that says something like "Yo, CT Health Dept: Got It Right This Time?"

or

"CT Health Dept: Sure Hope You Can Finally Recognize One of the Good Guys!"

Man, I wish we didn't need to be there right now, but we do!

See you there!

--------------------
"Help Or Be Helpless" Please visit "Activism" board daily. See the threads regarding the IDSA Guidelines crisis and the threads about Dr. Charles Ray Jones and decide how best to help today!

Posts: 1265 | From does not list | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^

Unfortunately can't go due to scheduled surgery.

If anyone can go, PLEASE do so. Don't assume "someone else" will go and stay home.

If you're within a reasonable distance, please go knowing that your presence represents those who cannot due to distance or circumstances.

There is power in numbers. Dr. Jones has helped 16,000 kids. If only we could get 16,000 people to attend!

Dr. Jones needs any and all the support he can get. He has brought our kids back from living hell and offered his immense kindness, help and hope when other so-called physicians just shrugged and threw our "hopeless" children by the wayside without a second thought.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE attend.

Thank you on behalf of those of us who cannot.

Posts: 214 | From where ticks flourish | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey FIGHT... Nice to see you!!!

And Alana.. you are right.

I do hope folks will come and show the DPH that we all NEED treatment and they can't keep doing this to Dr. Jones!

Time to put the spotlight on the DPH for allowing this witch hunt to continue.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Up for Dr. Jones and his children.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

up
s0ngbird1962
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for s0ngbird1962     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He does order alot of labs, but, being on longterm antibiotics I'm thinking it's important to see how the body is handling it?

A year ago my son was losing his vision, limped from joint pain and vomited every day. Although he tested positive for lyme, we fought for 2 years to find him appropriate treatment.

Since being treated by Dr. J, almost all symptoms (except occasional eye pain and attention issues) have disappeared.

I have no doubt that Dr. J saved my son's life....

[ 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Anna Lee ]

--------------------
Mom to a 5 year old lymie....
Taking it one day at a time.

Posts: 182 | From Ipswich, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent in everything I can for this wonderful man and his kids! I urge the rest of you to do the same....!!! If we could get all members to donate a dollar or two the goal would me met! Let's do this.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to Dr. Jones, our daughter is getting better!!!!

I agree, he does order lots of labs, but as songbird said, things have to be monitored.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup, can you let me know what to do for those of us who cannot make it. (The lady I work with is having major surgery that day... and I am the only one who will be able to run the chemistry labs here....)
I am so upset about not being there. [Frown]

Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
funny...in our experience, Dr. J has not ordered too many labs at all- he's asked for them only when absolutely necessary.

i wish we could do more for Dr. J. He gave us our son's life back- twice now. This time, we just can't.

I hope everyone reading this who is in any position at all to help with donations or by going will do so.

I know Dr. J would not ask unless he had to. I've seen in person the pain on his face when he has said how much it hurts to have to ask our community for help when he knows we have so few resources.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14077

Before you read through this note from Dr. Jones, please note how you can make a contribution to his legal defense fund. No contribution is too small.

If EVERYONE reading this could contribute just five dollars, it would help tremendously. There is always power and strength in numbers.

Please make a contribution to the only pediatric Lyme Doc in the US, or for that matter, the world.

Dr. Jones is 80 years old. He has chosen a difficult path, when he could have just as easily retired 20 years ago, and lived a much easier life.

Instead, he chose to stand up for our sick kids and treat them despite the hell he has been put through. At the beginning of his note he mentions his "determination to prevail." That speaks to his character and unwavering dedication to his young patients.

It's now OUR turn as LD patients and parents of kids with LD to collectively support and stand up for this courageous man.

In his note he states: "This process has been undeniably stressful. It has been painful to see so much time, energy and valuable resources being expended on my defense. I continue to believe, however, that it is critical for me to continue to fight these charges and to prevail:

 We must stand up for what we believe and know to be right in the matter of diagnosis and treatment of tick borne disease.

 I am painfully concerned about the lack of effective care for children afflicted with tick borne disease. Because I decided to fight these charges when all of this began some six years ago, several thousand additional pediatric Lyme patients have received an appropriate diagnosis and treatment for their tickborne disease.

 A successful outcome for me will both hearten and protect other physicians who wish to diagnose and treat Lyme disease comprehensively, and will encourage other pediatricians in particular to train with me.

 We must send a clear message to health departments across the country that we will not be bullied, or allow our right to medical treatment to be trampled.

I am personally asking that you please make donations (for WHATEVER amount) payable to:

"Pullman & Comley Trust Account-for Dr. Charles Jones"

Mail to:
Elliott B. Pollack, Esquire
c/o Pullman & Comley, LLC
90 State House Square
Hartford, CT 06103-3702

Note "gift" in the memo field.

In addition, as posted previously, there will be a meeting of the CMEB, on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at 1:30 at the Department of Public Health Complex, 470 Capitol Avenue, Conference Room C, Hartford, CT 06134. At that time, the Board will vote on the recommendations of the panel which has been hearing the most recent set of <bogus> charges brought against Dr. Jones.

If you can possibly attend, PLEASE DO SO. Many of Dr. Jones' patients are from distant places and subequently, their parents will not be able to attend, due to distance and circumstance.

Thank you for reading this, and thanks in advance for whatever contribution you can make, and/or your attendance at the meeting in Hartford on 2/16.

Here is Dr. Jones' letter:

February 8, 2010

Dear Friends,

It is time to update you once again on the status of the charges that I have been fighting before the Connecticut Medical Examining Board (CMEB). I cannot thank you enough for the many expressions of support and encouragement that you have been sending my way over the past several months. These have made a huge difference to me, enabling me to maintain my determination to prevail.

I also extend a hearty invitation to you to attend the next meeting of the CMEB, which will take place on February 16, 2010 at 1:30 at the Department of Public Health Complex, 470 Capitol Avenue, Conference Room C, Hartford, CT 06134. At that time, the Board will vote on the recommendations of the panel which has been hearing the most recent set of charges brought against me.

History and Overview

In this update, I will focus on the most recent developments in what has become a long series of charges and investigations by the CMEB and Connecticut Department of Health (CT DPH). For more detailed background information, I refer you to my letter dated September 5, 2008 , which is posted on the following website: www.lymesite.com

Currently, there have been two separate and distinct cases against me. The original case is under appeal, and the second case pertains to a new set of charges regarding a different set of patients.

In addition to this, we have learned that the court-appointed monitor has brought a number of complaints about me to the CMEB, which appear to be based on his reliance on the IDSA guidelines as the alleged ``gold standard'' for the diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease. These currently are under investigation, but at this point no formal charges have been filed in relation to them.

First case:

I was brought up on a series of charges pertaining to two children from one family in Nevada , whose parents were involved in a post-divorce decree custody dispute. The children involved in the case were doing quite well and there was no allegation of harm done to either of them as a result of their treatment.

In its decision of December, 2007, the Connecticut Medical Examining Board (CMEB) imposed a $10,000 fine, a reprimand and two years of monitored probation. Despite these disappointing recommendations, this case was not lost. My license to practice medicine was not suspended or limited.

However, the CMEB introduced a very restrictive four part standard of care for Lyme disease at the very end of the proceedings. Left unopposed, this test would set a very dangerous precedent, and could be used against other doctors to shut down the treatment of chronic Lyme disease. It clearly had to be appealed.

Appeal of the First Case:

Most of the charges that I was found ``guilty'' of were stayed, or suspended, pending the outcome of the appeal, including the four part standard of care. The one exception was the monitoring requirement. I was required to find and pay for a board-certified pediatrician, licensed in the state of Connecticut , to conduct periodic chart reviews at my office for a period of two years. This was not an easy task: We contacted over 80 pediatricians before the current monitor was found; he was then approved by the CT DPH.

The grounds for the appeal have been described in my previous letter. One of them pertains to the discovery of significant bias on the part of one of the panel members, Dr. Senechal, who was recognized by a set of parents who filed affidavits stating that he had expressed very significant bias against me and other Lyme literate physicians, including the statement that doctors who treat Lyme are quacks.

A hearing was held in Superior Court to review the question of the panel member's bias. The judge rejected our arguments. The case is now on appeal to the Connecticut Appellate Court; the brief in support of my position is due in April.

Current case(s):

The Department of Public Health then filed another series of complaints against me. This set of charges differs from the first case in that it involves three separate families, with the respective cases conjoined into one proceeding.

Although the exact facts differ, the cases are similar in that two of them involve non-custodial fathers filing complaints.

In none of the cases were any of the children involved harmed; indeed, as with the first case, the children all are doing very well.

The CT DPH called on Dr. Lawrence Zemel and Dr. Peter Krause to provide expert testimony contesting my treatment.

Following lengthy hearings concluding last May, a three-member panel has issued its ``proposed memorandum of decision'' (MOD). This will be voted on by the CMEB on February 16, following the presentation of oral arguments by both attorneys:

The third count involving one of the families was completely dismissed.
The testimony of Dr. Zemel was thrown out, with the panel characterizing him as clearly biased against physicians who treat chronic Lyme, and against many of the labs that they use.
The first count was upheld: this pertained to the charge that I had ``improperly'' ordered serology (diagnostic) testing prior to examining the patients. This seems strange, because, as far as we know, there were no patient complaints or patient harm. It is also difficult to comprehend why pre-examination testing should ever be the basis of disciplinary action against a physician.
The second count against me also was upheld. The issue here was the prescription of antibiotics to a patient whose symptoms were quite consistent with both Lyme and Babesiosis. I had obtained a comprehensive history from the referring practitioner who had contacted me about the case, and also from the patient's mother. An ER had recorded an EM rash that went untreated My schedule was so heavily booked that I could not see the patient for a number of weeks. I was confident that the patient should be started on antibiotics immediately, and that the risk of not treating would be greater than the risk of treating. The patient did well.

In this case, the panel has denied that charges have been brought against me because I am a Lyme specialist. Instead, it has characterized its findings as generic and pertaining to

medical practice as a whole. This is why we have not been able to utilize the recently passed physician protection bill in Connecticut .

Nevertheless, it is rather difficult to understand why such matters should have ever reached this level, or why their two expert witnesses were specialists in tickborne diseases. There have been no patient complaints, other than disaffected fathers involved in contested custody or divorce proceedings, and no harm has come to any of the children, who in fact have done well.

Once again, the panel has not recommended that my medical license be revoked. They have, however, recommended the following sanctions:

Another $10,000 fine
Four years of supervised probation, with a monitor again hired at my own expense

Why I Continue to Fight:

Some of you have expressed dismay that the Connecticut Department of Public Health has spent so much taxpayer money on these charges. You have been concerned that they will continue to bring charges against me until I am forced to close my office.

This process has been undeniably stressful. It has been painful to see so much time, energy and valuable resources being expended on my defense. I continue to believe, however, that it is critical for me to continue to fight these charges and to prevail:

 We must stand up for what we believe and know to be right in the matter of diagnosis and treatment of tick borne disease.

 I am painfully concerned about the lack of effective care for children afflicted with tick borne disease. Because I decided to fight these charges when all of this began some six years ago, several thousand additional pediatric Lyme patients have received an appropriate diagnosis and treatment for their tickborne disease.

 A successful outcome for me will both hearten and protect other physicians who wish to diagnose and treat Lyme disease comprehensively, and will encourage other pediatricians in particular to train with me.

 We must send a clear message to health departments across the country that we will not be bullied, or allow our right to medical treatment to be trampled.

Legal Fees:

I continue to be grateful for the excellent defense that Attorney Elliott Pollack has been providing, and to everyone who has made this possible through donations to my legal defense fund. Please note that Attorney Pollack has achieved some significant victories: my license has not been revoked and, most recently, the decision to throw out the testimony of Dr. Zemel on the grounds that he is biased, will most likely put an end to his usefulness as an expert witness in proceedings against other LLMD's.

The legal representation necessary to oppose these charges has been very extensive and complex:

multiple hearings have been held, each of which have required considerable preparation and review;
many hours have been spent helping witnesses to prepare to testify;
the filing of the appeal has been time-consuming but essential, and has entailed multiple appearances on the part of my attorneys in Superior Court, including three pretrial sessions.
New charges have been levied by the monitor which need to be addressed
Preparation and presentation of the oral argument which will be presented to the CMEB on February 16, after which they will vote on the proposed MOD.
This struggle has been costly, and I will continue to require your financial support in order to prevail. We have known from the outset that Pullman & Comley does not provide pro bono legal services, and Attorney Pollack is accountable to the partners in his firm.

To date, the cost of my legal defense over these past six years has amounted to approximately $700,000, most of which has been funded by donations to the legal defense fund. It is extremely painful to think of the resources of the Lyme community being spent in this way. At the same time, it is important to recognize that these charges are not unusual or excessive for a legal defense that has been as complex and lengthy as mine has been. There is a current outstanding balance of approximately $80,000. This will increase over the next few weeks as a result of the ramped up legal activity that will be necessary to address the CMEB decision, the monitor's complaints and the ongoing appeal.

Ordinarily, Pullman & Comley does not allow clients to carry an unpaid balance on their account. They have been impressed by the stream of donations that so many of you have been sending, and have been unusually flexible in this regard. Each time that the unpaid balance grows, however, my legal representation is in jeopardy. It is necessary to demonstrate once again that the legal defense fund is solvent, and will be able to meet the cost of my legal defense.

Because of this, I am asking you to make a donation to my legal defense fund, in whatever amount that your circumstances will permit. I hope that you will continue to find the means to support this fight, despite the hardships which I know that so many of you already live with.

The current instructions for donating to my legal defense fund are noted below. These instructions also are posted on Kay Lyon's website:

http://lymesite.com/DrJones_please_send_a_contribution_to_th.htm

For those of you who may have additional questions not answered by this update, I invite you to send them to me by letter or by fax: 203-772-0682. Please reserve for telephone calls for urgent matters only, given the very high volume of patient calls that the office receives.

With warmest wishes,

Dr. Jones

Charles Ray Jones, M.D.

HOW TO DONATE TO THE LEGAL DEFENSE FUND:

CHARLES RAY JONES, M.D.

Madison Towers

111 Park Street , 1st Floor

New Haven , Connecticut 06511

Tel (203) 772-1123 Fax (203) 772-0682

Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey mj...

So sorry you can't be there. There will be future actions and as these plans are confirmed I will share them with you. Thanks for asking!

In the meantime, Dr. Jones has sent out a letter with a lot of details.

To see it:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/91030

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

UPDATE and MORE DETAILS just posted.

http://www.lymerights.org/html/dr_jones_hearing_february_16__.html

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

February 13th, 2010 Vol 3, Issue 1

Action Alert #2 from:

Lyme Disease Association and Connecticut Support Groups on behalf of LymeRights

Lyme Rights Rally Update

The weather forecast indicates we may have inclement weather.

A final determination on whether to hold the rally will be made by Lyme Rights based on the forecast and will be posted on Monday afternoon.

Please check www.LymeRights.org for updates before leaving for the rally and hearing. Your safety is our concern.

CONTACT: Rally/State: Maggie Shaw, Newtown Lyme Disease Task Force 203-470-5406 National: Pat Smith, Lyme Disease Association, Inc. 888-366-6611 [email protected]

PRESS RELEASE- For Immediate Release

Is the Connecticut DPH Helping Patients?

Hartford, CT February 12, 2010 −At a time when all eyes are focused on the economy, no one seems to be watching as the Department of Public Health (DPH) dwindles away tax payers' dollars attempting to persecute a pediatrician for making children better.

DPH investigations and legal actions, prompted by supporters of the guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), have forced Dr. Charles R. Jones of New Haven to defend himself against charges that have cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. In addition, there is a significant outstanding balance in his legal defense fund.

The complaints filed against Dr. Jones were not due to children being harmed, in fact, they all have improved significantly as a result of his treatment. Yet, the DPH continues to monitor Jones and gathers children's medical files from his office shelves to try to find evidence that will justify any charges that many say are designed to bankrupt him and force him into surrendering his medical license.

After almost 6 years as a target of the DPH, Jones is still licensed to treat, has a full patient load with a long waiting list, and works six days a week to help as many sick and disabled children as possible.

Dr. Jones, who recently celebrated his 80th birthday at the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport with over one hundred of his "children" in attendance, took an unprecedented stand against the flawed Infectious Diseases Society of America's (IDSA) Lyme disease treatment guidelines long before Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal launched an investigation which uncovered multiple undisclosed conflicts of interest by IDSA panelists who developed the guidelines.

For years, Jones has refused to allow the thousands of children with Lyme and tick-borne diseases, who have been coming to him from around the world for help, to suffer from lack of adequate treatment.

"We must send a clear message to health departments across the country that we will not be bullied, or allow our right to medical treatment to be trampled," stated Jones in a recent letter to patients and health care providers.

His "children" and their parents are grateful that he helped so many of them return to a normal life after years of suffering.

Although the State has indicated the most recent charges are not about Lyme, it hired two Connecticut-based "Lyme specialists" to testify against him.

Dr. L. Zemel, one of the "experts," testimony was thrown out, with the panel characterizing him as clearly biased against physicians who treat chronic Lyme and against many of the labs that they use.

This characterization comes as no surprise to Lyme patients and their families who have been subject to the same type of bias by many IDSA guidelines' followers, leading to curtailed treatment, disabling disease, tremendous pain, and inability to function in society.

As Dr. Jones' legal fees continue to snowball, someone needs to investigate how much the State is spending to harass a good doctor who is saving lives and what other doctors, who pose real threats to patients, are slipping through the cracks while this spurious investigation is permitted to continue.

CT volunteer Lyme disease support groups are holding a rally for Dr. Jones prior to his next scheduled DPH hearing on February 16, 2010 at 11:00 AM in front of the DPH building on Capitol Avenue. For more information and inclement weather advisories on the rally please visit www.LymeRights.org

For updates and more information visit Lyme Rights website at www.LymeRights.org

ATTEND THE RALLY IN SUPPORT OF DR. CHARLES R. JONES AND ATTEND THE CONNECTICUT MEDICAL BOARD HEARING

WHEN: RALLY- Tuesday, February 16 at 11:00 AM

HEARING- Following the Rally which is currently scheduled for 1:30 PM the same day*

WHERE: RALLY- Outside the CT Department of Public Health, 410 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06134

HEARING: Connecticut Department of Public Health, 470 Capitol Avenue, Hartford, CT 06134 (Room to be announced)

Note: The outdoor RALLY will be held at 11:00 AM, even if the DPH cancels or reschedules the hearing.

The Connecticut Medical Examining Board hearing is currently scheduled for 1:30 PM on February 16, 2010, the same day as the RALLY.

The DPH might change the hearing date/time BUT THE RALLY WILL STILL BE HELD. We will meet at 11:00 AM at the DPH Building for the rally.

If the hearing goes as scheduled, we will proceed to the hearing after the rally.

SCHEDULE

11:00 AM- RALLY begins at Department of Public Health

11:30 AM- Speaker- Pat Smith

11:45 AM- Speaker- Dr. Joseph Burrascano (barring personal commitments)

12:00 PM- Speaker- Bonnie Friedman, Office Manager for Dr. Charles Ray Jones

12:15 PM- Get warm, lunch break and proceed to hearing on your own

1:30 PM- Hearing scheduled to begin (Room to be determined)

**NOTE- In order to enter the DPH Building you must have a drivers license or suitable identification and you must sign in.

PLEASE PLAN ON PARKING IN PARKING LOT "C" WHICH HAS A FREE SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE.

Detailed directions, maps, suggestions and additional information can be found at www.LymeRights.org

PLEASE CHECK FOR UPDATES BEFORE LEAVING FOR THE RALLY & HEARING DUE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF INCLEMENT WEATHER AND A POSSIBLE NEED TO RESCHEDULE THE EVENT.

www.LymeRights.org

Although LDA supports this rally, it is sponsored, planned and carried out by LymeRights, at www.LymeRights.org . LDA is providing this Alert notice as a courtesy to LymeRights.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement