LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » wrong diagnosis and incomplete post

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wrong diagnosis and incomplete post
turtle 1653
Member # 10309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle 1653     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry,

The local library is putting up a display on lyme disease.

I would like to add wrong diagnosis.

Can anyone out there list their diagnosis
before the lyme diagnosis?

Also any comments you may have received from previous physicians?

Thank you,
turtle

--------------------
Turtle 1653

Posts: 57 | From East Brunswick | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - Good for them/you. Do you have a chance to work with them on it? I think there's a number of educating concepts you'd want to get across. Here's what I often run though:

Lyme can be misdiagnosed as 320 other conditions. It mimics nerve and soft tissue disorders and can affect any system in the body.

A general list includes fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, rheumatoid arthritis, autism, lupus, IBS, MS, ALS, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, cognitive difficulties, heart disease, etc. (you don't have to list them all - just make a general statement).

Depends on what kind of physicians you're asking about. Lyme-literate physicians recognize the symptoms of Lyme and co-infections and adequately test for and treat.

Nonliterate ones don't. They'll say things like it's all in your head, you're just stressed, and more. But none of it is accurate since we're dealing with actual infections.

For the display, I think it would be be key to suggest that folks find a Lyme-literate physician, and include the url for www.lymenet.org/flashdiscussion/seekingadoctor.

When I educate, I say it can be transmitted by ticks, other insects and us via fluids and tissues.

I'd get some stats for your area - percentage of infected ticks and which illnesses are being transmitted.

That some see the tick or ticks and some don't. That some have initial symptoms like a bull's eye rash, flu-like illness, fatigue, numbness or tingling, and some don't have any initial symptoms.

If there's a bull's eye rash, that means Lyme disease for sure, with a need to see a Lyme-literate physician for a sufficient amount of antibiotics.

That there is no gold standard test for Lyme, that there are 27 reasons for testing negative, listed at www.canlyme.com/seronegreasons.html (And list that url - it's very helpful for helping people understand why we can't just test for it).

And the same goes for the co-infections - no perfect test.

That we do have some good testing labs and that people can come to lymenet to get some lab referrals. IGeneX is a good testing lab. www.IGeneX.com.

Thus Lyme-literate doctors treat clinically, by history and symptoms. Treatment includes antibiotics and lots of complementary care options.

That Lyme can develop into symptoms throughout the body.

That there are also co-infections, like babesia, bartonella, ehrlichia, etc. I usually list a few marker symptoms for each.

Have some pictures displayed of how tiny ticks are, the bacteria, the bull's eye rash, a tweezers tick removal pic.

Say something about how to protect people, pets and environment. The CALDA website has a good protection list. www.lymedisease.org. I always say tick repellent is needed on us and outdoor/indoor pets.

List some resources, including
www.lymediseaseassociation.org (NJ-based, like you)
www.lymenet.org - info, discussion, referrals to support groups and Lyme-literate physicians
www.ILADS.org
www.lymedisease.org, which also publishes the quarterly Lyme Times magazine, etc.

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turtle 1653
Member # 10309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for turtle 1653     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin

Thanks for the ideas. The library is letting our support group set up the cases and we are going to try to cover the topics you mentioned.

We are approaching the display as if all the on lookers were going through that initial diagnostic stage.

The comments that physicians make and the incorrect diagnosis may turn on a light for those looking for answers.

There is so much information to present, hopefully we will be able to educate our community about lyme.

Thanks again,
turtle

--------------------
Turtle 1653

Posts: 57 | From East Brunswick | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was simply told it was all in my head.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The initial diagnoses statements issue is complicated, since people can get symptoms just about everywhere in the body!

So you can imagine how every angle of medicine then can have a heyday with this, trying to tell us that it's this and that for each part of us, and none of it is correct.

That's why I think it's almost pointless to mention all the incorrect statements, because you're just about looking at the encyclopedia of medical statements.

My little example: since I presented with neck and shoulder complaints, I was told, and believed, I had a TOS problem, meaning thoracic outlet syndrome.

But I didn't. I had Lyme, really. See what I mean? If you did this for every body area, you'd have a ton of wrong statements being made.

To me, it makes more sense to give the public the concept that whatever specialty we go to, we don't fit, in terms of actually testing positive for any of their tests, since they're not looking for a bacterial infection.

It's more the absence of fitting a definition than anything. We come out looking like medical mysteries.

So how about approaching the initial diagnostic period via the various symptoms people get, including the list of co-infection symptoms?

Those were the lists I went to look at when I was told I might have this. I looked at the list of Lyme symptoms and saw I matched many.

I think those symptom lists would be useful to the public more than all the wrong statements, since we can't recognize ourselves in the negative list;

we need to see the actual list of symptoms in order to have a sense of whether we fit.
That's how I approached it initially, before I got bloodtested.

Also by looking at the co-infection symptoms list, that can give us a clue as to whether we want to test for any co's or not.

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
turtle 1653
Member # 10309

Robin,

You have hit on the perfect definition for lyme diagnosis. The absence of fitting a definition more than anything.

That is a good point of reference for the display. I'll be sure to list the co-infections with their symptoms along with lyme S&S.

Thank you Robin for your valuable input!

turtle

--------------------
Turtle 1653

dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
download or print out the green booklet from http://lymepa.org

Page 13 has list of diagnoses Lyme is commonly misdiagnosed as.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Turtle, lol on you liking my ghost definition!

It would also be a very good idea to include some NJ stats.

You can get them for the past 10 years at:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_rptdLymeCasesbyState.htm

Note that NJ ranks 3rd in reported numbers.

Also look at www.lymememorial.org - state stats for total reported.

Keep in mind reported number times 10, minimum.

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quote from an article that might help?

"Did you know Lyme disease can mimic, show similar symptoms to, or be confused with... chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, Lupus, Lou Gehrigs (ALS) disease, Guillian-Barre syndrome, polymyositis, hepatitis, cardiac disorders, fibromyalgia, ringworm,

Tullio phenomenon, encephalitis, ADD, ADHD, lupus, meningitis, depression, panic disorders, Bell's Palsy, candidiasis, chronic mononucleosis, hypoglycemia, scleroderma, Epstein Barr virus, autoimmune diseases, Bannwarth's syndrome, cancers, kidney disease, Raynauds syndrome, stress-related illness, sleep disorders, thyroid problems, vasculitis,

TMJ, anorexia, agoraphobia, cerebrovascular disorders, arthritis, anorexia, connective tissue diseases, hearing disorders, Crohn's disease, purpura, pseudotumor, Sjogrens syndrome, stroke, and respiratory insufficiency.

Some people who were diagnosed (misdiagnosed) with the above conditions were found to have Lyme disease. They were later treated with antibiotic therapy and improved."

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/afterthebite-articles/it-s-lyme-time-you-knew

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was diagnosed with iron, b12 & vitamin D deficiencies, adult onset allergies, asthma, tension headaches, migraines, and finally depression.

one doctor even told me that my lower back pain was caused by one leg being a "tiny bit longer" than the other and also said he thought i had narcolepsy.

Posts: 95 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement