LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » MAY- LYME DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MAY- LYME DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymeNet members have always been a force to reckon with when it comes to educating others about Lyme disease during the month of May. They have have doing a wonderful job indeed!

I am starting this post as a place to come for ideas and also a place where you can share what you've done to promote awareness.

There is even a section for those who- "Only Have a Few Minutes to Spare Or Can't Get Out Much" located on the Ideas Page.

Ideas
https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/may-ld-awareness

Handout Literature- free or low cost
https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/handout-literature

Please feel free to add your ideas too!

[Big Grin]

[ 05-01-2014, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Tincup ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Just simply tell everyone you meet! I'm doing a pretty good job of that myself and people are asking me a lot of questions because they're hearing about it more now, thanks to more news publicity.

[ 04-30-2014, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx for the reminder. I am planning on posting info May 1 on my FB page.

But I talk about it all the time anyway to anyone with ears.

And now with the woohoo news from the CDC that LD is under-reported, LD is on the map and in the news. But as I've been telling ppl, this is prep for mass marketing of the brand spanking new LD vaccine which I've told my friends and family to avoid like the plague.

Guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe Robin5937593 is the "go-to" person in her area for Lyme info, a never-ending wealth of information! Amazing she is, simply amazing! I hear of her hard work clear out here on the moon!

Beaches- love that you are one of the techy people who uses facebook and other media that some of the older volunteers don't use. (Not me, of course, I mean the other old advocates- HA!)

And you hit the nail on the head with the CDC promo for the vaccine. This is what happened before the release of the LymeRix vaccine to try to scare people into getting the vaccine. Sad our government can be so slimy and self-serving.

Many thanks for all you do, beaches! Keep on chatting it up. Like I could stop you, I can't!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx, Ms TC - I do work hard at it! Hope there's no ticks yet on the moon...
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TC your first link does not work!
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Know what today is? May 1, 2008- an anniversary!

http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/view.asp?a=2795&q=414284

[Big Grin]

Changing it now- thanks beaches!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that regularly sharing accurate info/websites on facebook helps a lot.

I get frequent private messages asking me questions about tick bites, Lyme, etc.

I think it helps to approach posting some information from the standpoint of "chronic symptoms" or "chronic illness" or naming specific symptoms such as fatigue, sleep problems, pain, neurological problems, etc.

That can get people's attention who would not otherwise look at the info because they think Lyme disease does not apply to them.

I also keep copies of a handout I made (on lime green paper). It lists a lot of websites like lymedisease.org, ilads.org, Dr B's "Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease", lymepa.org, "Under Our Skin" free on hulu, and others, with a very basic description of what is in each link.

When I run into someone talking about tick bites, Lyme, etc at the soccer field, baseball field, grocery store, etc, I can give them a copy of my lime green handout.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this on a Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome site that I am on. If anyone wants to copy and paste it to use for Lyme Awareness, feel free:

May is Lyme Disease Awareness Month! Chronic Fatigue, Pain, Etc Could Be Tick-Borne Infections!

For Lyme Disease Awareness Month I am posting links to very good and helpful information about tick-borne diseases/infections. This includes info about Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia, and other infections.

If we find and treat the root causes of our symptoms, we have a much better chance of recovery.

Basic info: www.lymepa.org/Basics2007v1.2Rev.pdf

www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/about_lyme.html

www.lymedisease.org

"Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease" by Joseph Burrascano, MD (Testing, Diagnosis, Symptom List, Treatment, Common Co-infections):

www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

"Dr Holtorf on Lyme Disease Diagnosis and Treatment":

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=16301&B1=EG060111

"The Surprising Connection Between Lyme Disease and Fibromyalgia":

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=18052

"Lyme Disease and Bartonella: More Common Than You Think":

http://www.dearpharmacist.com/2013/06/11/lyme-disease-and-bartonella-more-common-than-you-think/

"Lyme Disease Presenting As Chronic Fatigue Syndrome":

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=13217

Video: Conversations About Lyme Disease With Dr C (a LLMD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FP-73TCFKU

Free online documentary film about the unrecognized Lyme disease epidemic, "Under Our Skin":

www.hulu.com/watch/268761

Tick-Borne Disease Alliance:
www.tbdalliance.org

Lyme Disease Association:
www.lymediseaseassociation.org

Labs: www.igenex.com (Lyme western blot IgG and IgM, PCR, Co-infection panels)

www.advanced-lab.com/faq.php (Lyme culture test)

"Lyme Disease: Two Standards of Care":

www.ilads.org/lyme_research/lyme_articles4.html

Lyme Disease Message Boards (for Medical Questions, Seeking a Doctor, etc) Click on Flash Discussion and sign up for free:
www.lymenet.org

Chronicle full episode, "Ticked" (20 min):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3_JwDPqGAg

"Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic" by Pamela Weintraub, book about the Lyme disease controversy:

www.cureunknown.com/

[ 05-02-2014, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Dekrator48 ]

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Very nice, Dekrator - thank you too for all your advocacy!
Tincup
Member # 5829

Dekrator...

WOW! That is GREAT! Info and delivery method too! And a nice touch with the lime green paper. A real eye catcher!

I will check out some of the links I am not familiar with, as well as share your good info. (After, of course, I have my ice cream.)

In fact, several groups locally are having Lyme programs in May. Would you mind if I share this post with them?

Let me know please! And as Robin5032859374 said, thanks for all you do!!!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

You're welcome, Robin and Tincup.

Please do share the post/info any way you can!

(I just noticed that I had forgotten one of the links, so I just edited to add it.)

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Thanks again. I needed the Advanced Lab info to add to websites, so appreciate the easy find.

Now trying to get the computer to play the videos. Not much luck with that, but will try!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

BobG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GO TO CDC'S FACEBOOK AND LET THEM KNOW IT IS LYME AWARENESS MONTH.

THEY OBVIOUSLY AREN'T AWARE OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 360 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winesnob81
Member # 42355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winesnob81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one Bob [Smile]
Posts: 31 | From Davis, CA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

I would not want the CDC to post anything about Lyme awareness because it would not be accurate, but the general public would believe it.

I think it's better for them to be silent until they can teach the truth.

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

And those of you playing with the CDC by reporting your own case, please read this.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/idsa-panel-review/beard-e

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/afterthebite-articles/zemel-letter-1993

The case reports are used, illegally, to go after doctors. I would not send your info to the CDC. They won't do anything but laugh at you or cause you and/or your doc problems.

This action is not a good idea, in my opinion.

Make the public aware. The CDC already knows it all, and will not change.

Hope this helps!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been telling everyone I meet in my neighbourhood (with a dog), that the ticks are a plenty already.

Having this little dog is great. When at the dog park, I bring up the ticks I've found already this year. He is such an easy going guy, I demo tick checks on him! He thinks it's a game! Haha!

It's a great conversation opener and more times than not leads into tick check conversations on people AND dogs, and also tick repellent for people and dogs.

People often care more about their dogs than themselves-this is a good way for me to get tick checks into the forefront of their brain.

Dogs in a big city are ways for people to strike up conversation. Any dog owner is an instant friend!

So for any folks shy about bringing up lyme, use your dog or outdoor cat to get the word out [Smile]

Especially if you're a regular in your dog park, parks or walking your dog, people will remember you (or your dog) if they have any questions.

Plus it helps my dogs gear is all lyme green [Wink]

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement