LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Why west nile and NOT lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why west nile and NOT lyme?
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 8 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that I got a fancy and well prepared pamphlet in my mail about west nile virus and NOTHING about lyme? WHY did today's paper have the front page headline as 2 human cases of West Nile Virus in county! And they refused to cover even a short story about lyme when it was LD awareness month?

The article today expained that WNV can be nuerological ---so can LYME. It also explained that it is extremely RARE....uh....so they SAY is LYME!!!

SO why so much money and efforts pouring into WNV???? Does anyone have a real answer to this...I am boiling over with anger this morning. I must be due for my period. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay but it still doesnt answer my Q---

WHY is there money for WNV and NOT for lyme?

[cussing]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LYMESCIENCE
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LYMESCIENCE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Havn't you heard friend, Lyme has been solved long ago. Its actually quite a simple infection. Why spend valuable taxpayer dollars on a disease that only cause a little circular rash and can easily be treated with ten days of oral antibiotics. By the way, there are virtually no treatment failures.

West Nile is a new Disease. Everything that will ever be known is known about Lyme is already known. You see, it has always been, and will always be an extremely simple disease. So, funding for something that causes a rash isn't on the high priority list for public money.

Hope this helps explain to you that Lyme is really super duper simple, and that is why WNV is getting the money.

In fact, I've had Lyme at least 100 times (I figure the pimples I had in my teen years are close enough to that simple rash Lyme seems to cause) and I'm fine today. So, clearly, you can get Lyme as many times as you want, and you are just hanky dory each and every time. In fact, I even know wonderuful people volunteering to get Lyme. It seems that circular Lymr rash is a big fad with the in croud these days. One has to be fashionable you know.

Ta ta. I'm out to get a bullseys rash so I can attend the most exclusive parties. I want to make sure I fit in ya know.

Posts: 559 | From Cary, NC | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trails:
Okay but it still doesnt answer my Q---

WHY is there money for WNV and NOT for lyme?

[cussing]

Because "Lyme" is a can of worms that they do not want opened.
Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fyi, I thought you might be interested in reading what I sent IOWA'S SEN. CHUCK GRASSLEY, CHAIR OF "FINANCE" COMMITTEE .. lately when I typed my 4 letter to him including this & 1 other thing...LYME TASK FORCE.

Sent by email last week since he didn't attend our July 4th parade as he stated he would ....

SUBJECT: 6-11-06 PARADE magazine had s short blurb in it on your TAX DOLLARS:

``Shredded to a Pulp?
Since 1985, Congress has given $86 million to the timber and sawmill industry to study wood and its uses.

It forked over $6 million MORE this year!
``Why should your money pay for RESEARCH that the timber industry and fund itself'''' asks David Williams of nonpartisan CITIZENS AGAINST GOVT. WASTE.''

Chuck, why can't the $6 million go to CHRONIC LYME DISEASE RESEARCH CENTER at Columbia University, NYC to OPEN the doors of the WORLD'S FIRST chronic lyme research center?

Chronic lyme disease has been shoved under the rug and NOT ACKNOWLEDGED by the CDC and even many Iowa congressmen including you Chuck.

CDC recognized EARLY lyme that can be CURED with prompt antibiotics after a RASH appears:

UPDATE: The Infectious Drs. Assn. Recently changed their rules to `` 1 time treatment of lyme for 2 WEEKS ONLY!''

 FYI, a tick with lyme disease's spirochete's life cycle is 28 days that enters the body!

 NO ONE WILL BE CURED; THEY WILL JUST BECOME ``CHRONIC LYME'' FOR DECADES LIKE ME!

 36 years with chronic lyme and fighting for my life with many other illnesses galore due to complications of my undiagnosed lyme disease!!

 Chuck, P L E A S E co-sponsor the LYME DISEASE BILL FOR A TASK FORCE. There are 1500+ Iowans with CHRONIC lyme.

Thank you Chuck! 

fyi, IOWA'S Leonard Boswell has co-sponsored.

bettyg [confused]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered the same thing myself. I do know of One other person who survived WNV, but by now I know at least fifty people who know someone who has Lyme, not counting the folks on Lymenet. Makes me wonder what's the bigger problem.
Is there even a WNV website like Lymenet?
Maybe I will go check.

Carol

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cave, just correcting you; it's Iowa's Sen. Chuck GRASSLEY not Schumer...honest mistake.

One of our members has had WNV and now lyme; he posted about this awhile back; can't remember any name.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement