LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Website supports IDSA's position on Lyme harming patients

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Website supports IDSA's position on Lyme harming patients
klcst
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klcst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I encourage all to go to this site and untilize the papers as needed. There is a petition to sign also.It does not matter if you support all advocates or only LDA, this should be available to everyone. This could very well help us considerably, and isn't this what all Lyme patients and advocates want? Please allow this to stay posted and do not censor.

Thanks-Lisa

Please send this web site out to all groups and Dr's offices. I wanted to
have it up and running sooner than this to help Dr. Jones in his battle but lyme
makes things take longer than we plan on.
This web site covers everything from bogus testing to treatment failure and
proves fraud with intent to do harm. Please sign the petition and pass it on.
This link is under construction and will receive about six more papers
Friday and the rest over the next month as they come in. If you have any papers
that will help build a data base please send it .
Thanks, Randy Sykes The Greater Hartford Lyme Disease Support And Action
Group
Lyme Cryme with a Y
_www.lymecryme.com_
(http://www.lymecryme.com/)

Posts: 134 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lisa,

i just responded in suppot to nancy's post, and will just copy my comments here below.

fyi, we do HAVE 2 LYME PETITIONS that have been circulating for 14 months now!

and we have the LDA petition where last heard was 28,000 names on it!

we desperately need your help/others to meet the 50,000 signatures for LDA's petition, and there's over 5200 on lynn's going to congress.

Nancy and to the originator!

I understand where you are coming from, but let us work on TWO existing ones vs. starting from scratch. It took 12-15 months to get the signatures we have gotten!

I also stated this in other post about this on lymenet; perhaps to the originator of the petition; i don't know.

it gets very confusing for us neuro lymies to figure out if we have signed a NEW petition or not.

i also checked the one you suggested out; it's ILLEGIBLE for us LOW vision folks; so people's comments will not show up well like lynne's did!

not trying to rain on your parade, but we have 2 that are working very well and took so long for them to take off!

UPDATE: see my next post with CORRECT LINKS & ACCURATE NOS. ON EACH PETITION TO DATE!

[ 16. December 2007, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

EDITING AND ADDING 2 BELOW PETITION LINKS!

LYME DISEASE ASSN.'S PETITIION HAS 30,514 signatures to date, 12-15-07, 145 am !

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/referral/Petitions/Petition.php?id=1

LYNNE'S PETITION HAS 5,770 signatures to date 12-16-07, 145 am

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyme/

To: U.S. Congress

We, the undersigned concerned citizens of the United States of America, respectfully express our support for the expedient passage of the ``Lyme and Tick-Borne Disease Prevention, Education, and Research Act of 2005.'' (S.1479, H.R. 3427).

This bill, which can be viewed at http://thomas.loc.gov, provides ``for the expansion of Federal efforts concerning the prevention, education, treatment, and research activities related to Lyme and other tick-borne diseases, including the establishment of a Tick-Borne Diseases Advisory Committee.''

The bacteria which causes Lyme disease, Borrelia burgdorferi, was discovered in 1982. Although 24 years have passed since this discovery, we still lack accurate testing and live with controversy in the medical field over the diagnosis, symptoms and treatment of this devastating illness.

Many mistakenly believe that Lyme disease is definitively diagnosed by a simple blood test. In fact, the standard blood tests used to test for Lyme disease have been shown in several studies to produce an unacceptable number of both false negative and false positive results. The College of American Pathologists Proficiency Testing Program has concluded based on its own study that ``these tests will not be useful as screening tests until their sensitivity is improved.''

While developing an accurate Lyme test would be ideal, the diagnosis of Lyme disease could be improved through an increased awareness of the clinical presentation of this disease. It is widely recognized that a bulls-eye rash and joint pain/arthritis are symptomatic of Lyme disease.

In spite of extensive research, it is less well known that the Lyme rash is often not in bulls-eye form, that many never develop a rash, and that Lyme can produce psychiatric, cardiac and cognitive symptoms. Clinical observations and preliminary studies suggest many other symptoms may be indicative of Lyme. Further study in this area is critical to improving the clinical recognition of Lyme disease.

A lack of consensus in the medical community regarding the most effective treatment, particularly for chronic cases, adds yet another layer of uncertainty to the understanding of this disease. Among the most important issues in this regard is the long-term use of antibiotics for the treatment of chronic Lyme. One school of thought limits their use to four weeks, while the other supports their use for longer periods when clinically indicated.

Quality research in this area has been remarkably sparse, is long overdue, and is a necessary step towards effective treatment.

Lyme disease is more prevalent in some areas, however, ticks carrying the Lyme bacteria have been found in 48 states. In addition, due to frequent travel and relocation in the United States, people in every state are afflicted with this disease. It is imperative that doctors in all states are able to diagnose and treat Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases accurately.

Due to the debilitating nature of the disease, particularly in its chronic form, people are often forced into long periods of leave from work or school; causing financial burdens on Lyme victims, their employers, and taxpayers. Because the disease becomes harder to treat the longer it is allowed to progress, more effective diagnosis will yield shorter treatment times, and lower costs to all involved parties.

It is our hope that the passage of this bill will result in significant progress in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of Lyme and other tick-borne diseases.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

View Current Signatures

The Lyme and Other Tick-Borne Disease Petition to U.S. Congress was created by and written by Lynne Lyons ([email protected]).

This petition is hosted here at www.PetitionOnline.com as a public service. There is no endorsement of this petition, express or implied, by Artifice, Inc. or our sponsors.

For technical support please use our simple Petition Help form.

Send this to a friend

klcst
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klcst     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If other chronic illnesses took the approach of only one voice complaining and asking for change, they would be in the same boat we are...sinking.

There is nothing wrong with having a few petitions. In fact, the LDA is encouraged to use any information they see on the site to further their efforts, too.

We should be in this fight together. There is strength in numbers, and I am not talking about just signing two efforts (petitions).

Example of info on site: http://www.lymecryme.com/IV.html

This blows the lid on the the IDSA guidelines.

Lisa

Posts: 134 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i'm no. 159

how long do you plan on collecting names?

certain no. or TIME DEADLINE? good luck

sorry, i wasn't optimistic at first! [Embarrassed]

klcst
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3427

That's great! Thank you all for your support.
Hopefully everyone will be able to draw info from this site to fight and move our cause forward. My jaw dropped when I saw all that I had access to.
Betty G, I will have to ask the person who sent it to me how long the petition is set for.
I will get back with you.

Lisa

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement