LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » Letterman on Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Letterman on Lyme
mjwallin
Member # 9630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjwallin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night 7/17/06, David Letterman did an appalling comedy (?) skit regarding Lyme disease, in an attempt to debunk the seriousness of tick bites and saying 'it is the most overdiagnosed ailment...' Is this man insane? I heard that Letterman himself had Lyme. Is this true? If so, he must be completely nuts or totally insensitive. I suggest that everyone send a letter or email of protest to CBS. Some joke.

--------------------
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Posts: 32 | From Holland, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to cbs.com
Then click on Late Night With D.Letterman
Once on that page, there is a place to contact
And a box should appear on your screen to type in message.

Yes, I have already communicated my opinion on his mis-targeted cynicism, with constructive recommendations on how he can publicly rectify his inappropriate skit.
N.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He lives in Connecticut. His PCP must be a steerite. Or his writers decided to make fun of a serious topic. Too bad.

It reminds me of Saturday Night Live, when Gilda Radner was in a skit saying "I'd rather have cancer than be fat", referring to wanting to continue drinking Diet Coke. She died of cancer a few years later.

I hope David Letterman or his son don't get Lyme.

But come on guys. A parody is a parody. Bad taste, yes. Dangerous? Yes it might be if anyone is stupid enough to take David Letterman's word on Lyme.

Did Jewish groups protest when Mel Brooks wrote the Producers (e.g., Springtime for Hitler)?

Also, remember how Jerry Lewis used to make fun of spastic people? And we all laughed? And then we realized it wasn't that funny and he started his CP marathons?

Maybe the same will happen with Letterman.

I'm sending a letter to CBS today. ILADS has got to send a letter. Anyone here connected with them?

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This topic is also elsewhere on the boards and while it is distasteful the way it was done..It may have many thinking and any regular viewer knows his scarcasm..So he may have helped the cause..

None of us can pay for this coverage..Perhaps he will do more and be more serious but national coverage is a blessing..

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newlymepatient
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newlymepatient     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there anyway to see it? I don't want to just blindly complain.
Posts: 50 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sewer Rat
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,

IMO you've got most of it wrong because Letterman didn't say the things you mentioned. He actually said about Lyme that "it can be very difficult, and tough to get rid of".

I didn't find the skit really offensive, rather funny. They didn't make fun of Lyme disease, but only used the ticks for a funny skit.

BUT, there was a bit of an ironic tone in the conversation. Because of that, plus the acting of "Dr. Westfall" at the end, and then David throwing the "ticks" out of the container, PERHAPS some people will think that the things they said are not really true, but only hysterical claims.

But I guess we can't expect Letterman to deal with Lyme without humor, because he never has items without humor AFAIK.

I do understand that people can get upset about it when they are very sick or have a sick family member or friend. Then you can feel offended when Lyme is used as a subject for humor. But what would be the overall effect of this item in the Letterman show?

I think the item was a positive thing, because it gave attention to the fact that ticks can be dangerous, and that Lyme disease is a serious illness that is hard to get rid off. David Letterman has many viewers, so he has reached lot's of people with this.

And the crazy behavior of "Dr. Westfall" makes people remember this!

Good job, David!

Oh, and you can watch the skit here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY2tS5sxJZI&search=charles%20westfall

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Sewer Rat-thanks for posting the link so I know what everybody is talking about. I don't know- when I was watching it my first reaction was that it was all good information, even though brief. As for Dr. Westfalls reaction at the end-was it a spoof on people overreacting-or was it an illustration of how people should react? Notice Letterman's final words of the skit were "I've had it"

I think he was trying to bring light to a serious subject the only way he knows how- using the humorous forum of his show. I personally did not take offense to it.
Carol

mjwallin
Member # 9630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjwallin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sewer Rat, the clip you directed us to shows only the 'skit' part of the show, which was not what I was referring to. Maybe you didn't see the show from the very beginning, in which Letterman makes a number of Lyme 'jokes', consisting of the statements I mentioned regarding 'over-diagnosed', etc. Maybe YOU've got it all wrong.

Making such idiotic statements to an uninformed public is damaging, in my opinion. My wife and daughter (both Lyme victims) saw the show from the beginning and saw no humor in it. And we are not without a sense of humor, I can assure you.

--------------------
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Posts: 32 | From Holland, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by mjwallin:
Sewer Rat, the clip you directed us to shows only the 'skit' part of the show, which was not what I was referring to. Maybe you didn't see the show from the very beginning, in which Letterman makes a number of Lyme 'jokes', consisting of the statements I mentioned regarding 'over-diagnosed', etc. Maybe YOU've got it all wrong.

I did not see the show from the beginning, but you were referring to the comedy skit. I can only judge about that part of the show.
mjwallin
Member # 9630

My original post was inaccurate as I should have indicated that the objectionable comments were made by Letterman in his opening monologue that set the stage for the skit. If one watches only the skit portion, I can understand why nobody saw anything to complain about. But the monologue contained the comments that I mentioned which I believe was misinformation going out to the uninformed public. I wish someone had recorded that portion of the show. If anyone has, I would like to know about it.

Regarding your (Sewer Rat's) query about what software I have written, there is nothing you would have heard of as it was mostly for in-house and commercial use for various goverment and industry jobs I have had. However, I am planning on marketing a debt collections package in the near future.

--------------------
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

mjwallin
Member # 9630

I now have the full tape of Lettermans show (all 350 MB of it) which you can obtain at http://www.mininova.org/tor/370638. I also have a clip of the portion of the show (8 minutes and 20 seconds through 9:00 minutes) in which Letterman clearly and unequivocably states that Lyme is one of the most 'over-diagnosed' diseases and only 1 in 200 ticks are infected so 'the likelihood of getting Lyme is 1 in 200'. Where he got this information I have no idea. If that is Letterman's idea of a joke, he is in serious need of psychiatric help.

I would be glad to email this short .AVI clip to anyone who wants it. I do not appreciate being called a liar and other vicious things that I was called by the loonies over at .sci.med.

[ 30. July 2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: mjwallin ]

--------------------
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
I would be glad to email this short .AVI clip to anyone who wants it. I do not appreciate being called a liar and other vicious things that I wall called by the loonies over at .sci.med.

I am interested! Please send it to ratfromthesewer [at] yahoo.com

If you can show that you are not a liar, then consider to post this at s.m.d.lyme too. Try to ignore the vicious things!

Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
..Letterman clearly and unequivocably states that Lyme is one of the most 'over-diagnosed' diseases and only 1 in 200 ticks are infected so 'the likelihood of getting Lyme is 1 in 200'.

You are right. I watched the clip, and can confirm Letterman says that. Unbelievable!

With this knowledge I look different at the "comedy skit" too, which seems to be more like an attempt to ridicule Lyme disease.

Lyme might get "overdiagnosed", but more often it gets "underdiagnosed". If you know what I mean.

mjwallin
Member # 9630

I know people are probably sick of this thread by now but if anyone wants to have a look at that clip, it is now posted on www.youtube.com for your viewing displeasure.

[ 31. July 2006, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: mjwallin ]

--------------------
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

Sewer Rat
Unregistered

quote:
I know people are probably sick of this thread by now but if anyone wants to have a look at that clip, it is now posted on www.youtube.com for your viewing displeasure.

I can't find it.
mjwallin
Member # 9630

>>I can't find it.

Do a search on 'Letterman Lyme' and you will find it.

--------------------
Mark J. Wallin, Ph.D.

stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just viewed the clip, thanks for the link.

So he says one in a 'million chances' of RMSF are found in a tick, guess I lived in a very unlucky part of town in Maryland . Last time I checked, Maryland was not near the rocky mountains, as he stated this is where this particular TBI is found.

The tick I found crawling on my husband tested positive by MDL for just that.

What an a$$.

Off to write another letter,

Stella Marie

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brentb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brentb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
only 1 in 200 ticks are infected so 'the likelihood of getting Lyme is 1 in 200'.

He's just a wee bit off...
"50 percent to 70 percent of local ticks
infected" with Lyme causing borrelia.
http://extension.unh.edu/News/LymeDNH.htm

Posts: 731 | From Humble,TX | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement