LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Reaction to B12 shots...why???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reaction to B12 shots...why???
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on cyanocobalamin shots for 2 months with no problem then I switched to Methylcobalamin shots Oct 6th, all of a sudden a few days ago I noticed every injection site i have used in the last 2 weeks has come up bright red, itchy, swollen, hot.....why would that happen???

I was thinking allergy or what else could it be??.............

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask your LLMD.

I often had bright red spots - like red kool aid under the skin almost, which was just the methylcobalamin itself. Changing the angle of the needle going in helped a bit, but basically - I was spotted while on B-12 shots.

If these spots are very itchy, swollen and hot though - I would ask your LLMD.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
called the pharmacy and my dr....maybe an allergy to the preservative....going to switch me to preservative free..

i know what you mean about the red metyl under the skin but these are hot, itchy, swollen........7.5cm in size.......

so we think its a reaction........driving me crazy.........

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say it's an allergy. Glad you are being switched to one without preservatives. It is more expensive, darn it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

i just paid $100 for the original one...the compounding pharmacy dont file insurance......wonder how much the preservative free will be...........

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good - glad you are switching. Can you take some benadryl in the meantime?

I forgot it was available with preservatives - mine were preservative-free also.

Try filing your ins - mine covered a portion. Not all of it, but the majority. So there's hope!

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "preservatives" tend to just be a pinch of salt [NaCl] & a dash of benzyl alcohol.
(oh, wait... Halloween's over!)
So... why not just go back on/to the "cyano" stuff?

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

he wants me on methyl because of toxicity....so i'll try the preservative free.......first and see how that goes...........

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have the MTHFR gene you should not take Methyl..You should take the hydroxycolobin type. Sublinguals work just as well as shots says the latest info. The company who has a good hydroxy is Perque labs:

http://www.perque.com/test/dev/uploads/VesselHealth_2Color_3-10.pdf

Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rossphoto
Member # 28106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rossphoto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am on daily injections of methylcobalamin B12 for 30 days. I would not reccomend cyancobal to anyone because it contains small amounts of cyanide!

http://www.dadamo.com/B2blogs/blogs/index.php/2004/02/07/cyanocobalamin-versus-methylcobalamin?blog=27

For anyone advised to take B12, I would suggest ordering from Infuserve. http://www.infuserveamerica.com/ They sell methylcobalamin shots that are pre-filled to the specific dosage your doctor prescribes.

Posts: 28 | From NYC | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sk8ter, I have the MTHR gene and my Dr. has prescribed the methyl B-12 shots. I also take Deplin which is a prescription folic acid and noticed in the warnings it said not to take it if you have the MTHR gene.

Do you know why? My Lyme Dr. never mentioned it. i feel pretty lousy with deplin, but B-12 shots seem to help me a lot.

Posts: 618 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the preservative free hydroxy and it is normal that I get big red purple stains which stay for 7-10 days. It is the color of the meds.
But my stains are generall not itchy.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
resaz
Member # 31131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for resaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the MTHR gene and how in world do you know if you have it before you take the b12 methyl
Posts: 44 | From Phoenix | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the test:
http://www.holisticheal.com/health-tests/nutrigenomic-testing/comprehensive-methylation-panel-with-methylation-pathway-analysis.html

Here's an explaination of how all this matters:
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

Yes, one can become toxic from the cyano- part of the cyanocobolamin, if one is taking a lot of huge doses. But the body actually does have a detox method for the cyano- part of cyanocobolamin, so smaller doses or sublingual cyanocobolamin shouldn't be a problem for most.

I have no financial connections with any companies/websites/doctors/clinics mentioned in this post.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course being from NY, I could not order this test, such BullS%it....
Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might be able to order it through your doctor from Genova Diagnostics. They have several genetic profile tests, such as the DetoxiGenomic test, that may show the MTHFR gene. See http://www.gdx.net/product/10038 (I have no financial connections with this company or website).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sk8ter:
If you have the MTHFR gene you should not take Methyl..You should take the hydroxycolobin type. Sublinguals work just as well as shots says the latest info. The company who has a good hydroxy is Perque labs:

http://www.perque.com/test/dev/uploads/VesselHealth_2Color_3-10.pdf

This is what my LLMD did too. Since she did not test me and have no idea if I have the MTHFR gene, she put me on the Hydroxocolobin instead of Methyl.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had bad reactions to b12 shots so this is really helping me. Next week I am going to discuss this with my doc to see what other forms are available. It does help some of the neuro issues but it makes me groggy and irritable and psycho (at least in the form that I have received it in to date). So its not worth it to me.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sublinguals work just as well as shots says the latest info."

Not true for everyone. I have pernicious anemia and took sublingual B12 for years before I knew, and it didn't help with my symptoms of pernicious anemia at all.

I take B12 shots once a week. The methyl B12 is the best kind.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyme Elle
Member # 30884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyme Elle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I am deluded but I believe that everyone has the MTHFR gene. The problem with coagulation, folic uptake and numerous other issues is a mutation in the MTHFR gene.

I also take deplin. Without it I cannot maintain ferritin stores or healthy iron levels.

Posts: 13 | From East Coast, USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyme Elle:
I also take deplin. Without it I cannot maintain ferritin stores or healthy iron levels.

How does Deplin help your iron stores?

I am curious because I can't keep my iron levels up no matter how much iron I take.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement