LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Seasonal Affective Disorder treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seasonal Affective Disorder treatment
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lyme symptoms increase in the Fall with an overwhelming depression. In the Spring, I start to "revive".

I did a search, but questions still remain regarding best/favorite treatments.

Has anyone had experience with lightboxes? Have they helped you?

Can you suggest a reputable company to buy from?

Herbs? What has worked best for you?

I hate to take an antidepressent, but if it saves my life I guess I may have to.

Thank-you so much!

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A light box was wonderful for me years ago. Then I got the bright idea to overdo it and it really agitated my nervous system - for days. I returned it for a refund but should have kept it.

So, start gradually and monitor your reactions. Timing is everything, too. Be very careful with the correct schedule.

But, you may not need the light box (they are no longer boxes nor bulky). First thing in the morning, get natural day light into your eyes. No eyeglasses, no sunglasses, no contact lenses and no windows between your eyes and just good old plain DAY LIGHT. For 20 minutes.

� Vitamin D3.

There's more to it that that but it's just off the top of my head. I just took a look and a Google search shows lots of good reading options.

Magnesium is good to help lift the mood, too. And B vitamins. Fish oil (Marnie suggests OmegaBrite).

Eat wild salmon, kale, a bright orange or red vegetable and a little bit of a dark rice or quinoa for breakfast.

Start at Google with: SAD, D3
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank-you Keebler!

I am on the Vit. D3 (10,000 mg/day) and Mg supps.

The advice regarding the eyes is new to me. I have guarded my eyes with sunglasses since getting LD.

I will take all this into consideration immediately.

Still wondering is anyone knows of a reputable light box.

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remember to Smile
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bugabooboo:
Herbs? What has worked best for you?

I hate to take an antidepressent, but if it saves my life I guess I may have to.

Dear Bug,
It's wise to seek help for depression! You're wise. [Wink]

St John's Wort is an effective anti-depressant shown in scientific studies to give BETTER results than pharmaceuticals.

L-tyrosine is an essential amino acid that is also helpful in combating S.A.D. It should be taken on an empty stomach with some Vit C and 50 mg Vit B-6 to aid absorption. You may wish to consider taking 500 mg L-tyrosine in the afternoon and another 500 mg at bedtime.

Those two worked for me for years. Started taking them in the fall, and could stop by April.

St John's Wort cannot be taken with many pharmaceuticals. Be careful, and do your own research.

Do your best to get outside in natural light every day. The earlier in the day, the better.

Best wishes,
Smile

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived in the north - I would make a point to go outside & go for a walk before the sun went down. Even if it's just a block or so. It seems to help me to get outside & get some natural sunlight.

Also, you may want to get some sunlight into your eyes without the sunglasses. It's extremely sunny here but even still, I do try to get my eyes to get some sunlight in them.

It was hard at first since I have always been sensitive to light but you can work your way up. I don't do it if I'm driving or for a long time.

Just a thought....

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Came back with an afterthought for safety.

Never look directly at the sun (as it can burn the eyes) but, if the sun is shining at all, the rays in in the daylight itself will set your brain up just dandy, even in winter. But if there is anything between daylight and the surface of your eyes, the effect can be blocked.

That's why "naked" eyes need exposure to daylight. And, by doing so first thing in the morning, it can set the circadian rhythm. Even next to an open window, this can work if you can't get outside first thing. Then walks later, at any time, will also be good.

For those sensitive, a visor can be used for some of the time. So can being in the shade. You'll still get some daylight into the eyes.

It's only the sunSHINE that is needed on the skin to produce vitamin D and that's not so workable in winter months.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

My LLMD told me I should move south!

Hubby not convinced!

When I was first diagnosed with LD, I forced myself to go out snowshoeing. It was a good workout and got some wonderful sun.

Remember to Smile..... I like that. Along with the SAD, I find myself frowning. So I put a smile on my face, even if it's pretentious! ha ha! Thank-you for your comments.

Sparkle, I'm walking to the mailbox now. (=

I do a lot of walking on my treadmill which helps me physically.
That might be a good time to shine a light box on myself.

Bug

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband's psychiatrist is the one that discovered seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and he wrote the book about it, called "Winter Blues."

He also suffers from it.

He had us buy a light and both my husband and I use it if we begin to feel a little down in the winter, due to all the darkness.

He recommends the Day Light, with 2 light settings, 10,000 lux intensity.

I remember a few years ago you could buy one from Walgreen's on-line store for about $169. That could have been a sale price.

Looks like the website for this company is day-lights.com

This light works fabulous!

My husband has bipolar disorder, so he can really get depressed in the winter. He sits in front of the light in the morning (before 9 a.m., per doc) and usually he only needs about 3 minutes to do the trick.

Evidently people without this disorder can sit in front of it up to 20 minutes. (I sit in front of it for 10 minutes and that is all I need.) You can just eat breakfast and read while sitting in front of it. It has legs, so you can put it on your table or desk.

We love this light. I think it is a great idea to see if the light is all you need to give you the lift you want when the days get so short.

You may also want to get the book from the library because it talks about diet and other things that go along with the winter blues.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

TF..... thank-you!!!!!!!! I'm on it! The book and the light are what I am looking for!

Your information is so appreciated.

I have really been struggling.

Bug

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope it works for you!

It works the very day you use the light.

Use it every day. The light is something the brain needs to function properly. Some people's brains need light more than others.

Let us know, OK?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

God bless you all!

Bug

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement