LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » If you've treated with Rocephin IV and lyme returned chime in

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you've treated with Rocephin IV and lyme returned chime in
sfcharm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfcharm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I'm back here after a two year reprieve. I had severe neuro lyme in 2006 and treated for one year with orals, one full year IV Rocephin.

All of my symptoms disappeared.

It appears my lyme may be back. I have some old symptoms (myoclonus, tremors) but a new symptom is making me think it might not be lyme.

I have severe nerve pain bodywide. During my first bout I had bodywide twitching for one year, I did not have any nerve pain.

Now my nerves are involved and it feels like I'm being stabbed all day long. I also have deep boring pain in my feet and hands and thighs.

The good news is I'm still able to sleep all night with 5mg flexeril.

I'm curious to hear from people who did long term Rocephin. I was on it for one year. If the lyme came back how did you treat second time around???? Orals or IV again???

Also if you have the name of a LLMD in the Philadelphia area please p.m. me name and number.

Thanks,

Barb

Posts: 281 | From san francisco | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Rocephin for 4 months, that was 8 yrs ago.

I ended up allergic to it, and had drug allergy testing to confirm it.

I was great for 8 yrs. Now back in treatment for over the last yr.

I'm treating it with Zith and malarone. First started with Biaxin and plaquenel. I'm doing ok really.... and I won't let my body go 8 yrs between treatments again.

I really feel it's not the lyme that came back, I feel it's the bab's that reared it's ugly head this time.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfcharm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfcharm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks hadlyme, appreciate your input. I too think that just going off the antibiotics for a two year period did me in.

I never really treated for bart and always tested negative for it. The problem is I have all the bart symptoms, myoclonus, etc.,

Posts: 281 | From san francisco | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocephin relapses are very common. I'm wondering where all the "relapsers" are today?

But like you said, maybe it's just that you've been off abx for so long.

I think one problem they used to have is they would give patients Roc and then not follow up with orals or other meds... instant relapse.

Does sound like you need to treat the bart.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worked twice, the third time, relapsed so bad, never went back on antibiotics. Was in remission for about 8 mos each time. Have bart too. Good look and feel better.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chiming in!

I was on Rocephin via a regular ID doc who actually stated "I don't believe in coinfections". [shake]

Athough the Rochephin did help me a lot with CNS issues, esp headaches, I did relapse and went back on orals, plus found out via an LLMD once I became more educated, that I am CDC+ for Babs WA-1 (duncani). I think that there needs to be a lot of awareness raised on using a combination of ABX (like cyst-buster + macrolide) while on Rocephin. I wish I had known.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did 9 1/2 mos IV Rocephin. Got worse when I stopped.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Pam Weintraub's book "Cure Unknown" she mentions that she and Dr. B got well doing IV (I'm pretty sure but not positive it was rocephin). They both went into remission, then came off IV and let themselves get really sick and then back on IV 3x's and then no more relapses.

I hope I have all the details right but that is my recollection. It has been discussed here at lymenet several times.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think way back they weren't using cyst busters with Roc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rocephin IV never cleared my lyme to beging with. I wasn't using a cust buster
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfcharm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9392

While on rocephin I was always on other antibiotics as well. I was on flagyl, azith, biaxin, mepron. I also did six full months of bicillin shots at a dose of 4.8 a week.

I definitely hit my lyme hard but am not sure why I'm relapsing. I'm trying to rule all other things out by having my primary do a ton of tests for this sudden nerve pain.

I never ever had nerve pain and that's why I'm hesitant to say it's lyme. Reading up today on lyme more and more it's all over that it causes nerve pain/damage. It's even listed on the National Institute of Healths web site as a symptom.

I am however seeing some of my old symptoms of lyme with shoulder shrugging and stomach myoclonus. That's why I'm thinking, it's creeping back and the nerve pain is just a new symptom.

Thank you all for your responses, it's much appreciated. I spent a lot of time here a few years back. Learned tons on this forum and looks like I"m back in the thick of things right now.

Thanks again,

Barb

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barb, have you had your cd57 measured? That may give you more information as to the potential that this is a relapse. Not the be all/end all. just another piece of data that might be helpful taken with all of your other data.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

up

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again, I think the distinction needs to be made that Dr. B. and Pamela Weintraub used Oral Ceftin not IV for their treatments.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91327?

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That's probably why it worked.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerryK:
In Pam Weintraub's book "Cure Unknown" she mentions that she and Dr. B got well doing IV (I'm pretty sure but not positive it was rocephin). They both went into remission, then came off IV and let themselves get really sick and then back on IV 3x's and then no more relapses.

I hope I have all the details right but that is my recollection. It has been discussed here at lymenet several times.

Terry

Terry, that's exactly what they did -- but I'm pretty sure it was the oral ceftin that they used.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I treated with IV rocephin for 3.5 months with no cyst buster and I did next to nothing.....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on 2GM of Rocephin for 56 days straight. It was really helping me but this doctor had a rigid protocol. 56 days was it. Pulled the line when I was at about 60%.

Completely relapsed within 5 days. $14K down the drain.

The big mistake was not following it with orals.

I now see a better LLMD and am actually close to or at remission with orals.

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stillwater: what is your oral regimen?

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you can have a relapse after any kind of antibiotic treatment. This is not strictly a flaw of rocephin.

This germ hides and becomes inactive. It can re-emerge quickly or years later after you have stopped treatment and thought you were cured. That is why remission is a better term for what happens when the symptoms disappear after treatment. It can be short or long remission.

And if ceftin cured everyone, like it apparently helped Pam and Dr. B, then I would be cured too.

There is no magic drug that works for everyone.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clueless
Member # 30019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clueless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey all

just started IV ROC- first 6 weeks/2nd round into week 3 at 5 grams a shot, yes-5 grams

really new at this Lymestuff, was wondering, always wondering!!

STILL- what type of orals should be done with Roc? we/my husband is also on Plaq- we haven't yet got any co-infection results.... so currently just on Roc, plaq and a slew of supplements/probiotics etc...

What other types of orals can the body tolerate while it's trying to deal with 5grams of Roc to boot???

Thanks Rocepin friends!!!

--------------------
Change is inevitable

Posts: 77 | From France | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Big dose. You should watch out for gallbladder sludging.

Many people combine a macrolide with rocephin (biaxin, zithromax), plus a cyst buster (but maybe this is why you are taking plaquenil).

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I don't think you need anything else. The plaq should help with the cysts.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

clueless
Member # 30019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clueless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks Lou and Tutu!

steady as she goes, or that would be "he"!!

--------------------
Change is inevitable

Posts: 77 | From France | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MazzyStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerve pain was one of my biggest symptoms with lyme and babs. Lyme attacks the brain and the nervous system, and when inflammation happens in the brain, it can set off a triggered response of body nerve pain that is unbearable.

I describe it like waking up during open chest surgery. It hurt so bad I couldn't talk.

Now, after 2 1/2 yrs, I'm pain free! Antibiotics the entire time, but now I pulse.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Posts: 276 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you treated Bart? Your symptoms sound like they could be Bart instead of lyme. You may want to get that checked.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement