LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CD-57 how to test properly? Is this correct?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD-57 how to test properly? Is this correct?
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found these instructions in an article written by S., a practioner who works with one of the doctors who discovered the connection between a low cd-57 and lyme disease.

I'm wondering if this is the procedure in use by most LLMD's? My Naturopathic doctor ordered this test but didn't mention any of this to me and the order has no special instructions on it. She is trying learn about lyme disease but is not what I consider lyme literate yet. Anyone else get none of these instructions?

"If you would like your health care provider to order the CD57 NK test for you, your blood sample needs to be drawn into an EDTA tube (lavender top) on Monday through Thursday and sent immediately to either LabCorp in Burlington, NC, or Clinical Pathology Laboratories (CPL) in Austin, TX.

LabCorp and CPL are the only two labs that perform this test properly. Quest does NOT. The LabCorp test code is #505026 and is named HNK1 (CD57) Panel.

The CPL test code is #4886, CD57 for Lyme disease. The test is time-sensitive and must be performed within 12 hours of collection, so blood should not be drawn on a Friday or results may be inaccurate."

Thanks for any help
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this test ordered by one of the ones in that practice. I had it done at LabCorp where they (hopefully) know what tube to use and to send it quickly to NC.

It doesn't seem to matter what day it is drawn. I was sent to the lab on a Friday to have it done.

I have been told to have it done only at LabCorp, even though I am in Austin and CPL is the main lab here.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that LabCorp is the correct lab to use. That is the correct code for them. My LLMD uses the test in conjunction with my symptoms to evaluate my progress, or lack thereof, about once a year.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that LabCorp is the correct lab to use. That is the correct code for them. My LLMD uses the test in conjunction with my symptoms to evaluate my progress, or lack thereof, about once a year.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks jkmom and lymednva for your responses. I contaced labcorp to see what they have listed in their instructions to the lab tech and the woman I talked to said they show that the blood needs to be collected in an edta lavendar top tube and an acda yellow tube. They said some labs may not have the acda yellow tube and will have to order it.

Apparently the instructions they give their techs states that the blood must be run within 12 hours. Perhaps they refrigerate the blood and the time is extended on the week-end??

According to Labcorp they call the test HNK1 CD 57

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, when I went to labcorp here to get mine done they were like what is mycoplasma and CD 57?? I'm like a blood test....that's why I am here. And she's just all huffy and was like I don't know if we have those tests...lol. Oye.

But they did of course, she was just an idiot. But yes I had also heard the same thing LabCorp is the only one who tests properly, who knows how to do the tests, or something....

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement