LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » glutathione worth taking orally? or NAC instead?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: glutathione worth taking orally? or NAC instead?
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for liver support and detox properties.
Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, oral glutathione is very poorly absorbed. Nac is good but a good quality undenatured whey protein powder is better.

You can use the search tool to pull up two recent discussions about whey protein powder.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not tried oral glutathione, but also have heard it will just be digested and broken down before it gets used, that IV is the way to go for that. I also have heard some companies were working on a spray that could be absorbed sublingually, don't know if any of that is on the market yet.

I haven't tried whey, but have had good success with NAC.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of glutathione suppositories but I have no experience with them

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you take the oral glutathione caps, break them open and mix them with coconut oil & rub them all over?

BTW, I am trying this. I'll let you know how it goes.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mookie333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mookie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard from my compounding pharmacist that liposomal glutathione is good for you and absorbed well.

I don't know why, but there is a difference orally from liposomal vs non-liposomal.

Posts: 151 | From south east | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mookie333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mookie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also just to mention, mine is in powder form and is dissolved in water....thanks!
Posts: 151 | From south east | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertlily
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc gave my liposomal glutathione to use, the brand name is "ReadiSorb". It comes in a liquid form and you mix it with water or juice.

It works, because I "herx" with it just like I do with IV glutathione :-(

Their website is www.readisorb.com

--------------------
Susan

Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mookie - what is your brand?

desertlily - $65 for 4 oz is what I found on google shopping search. Is that what you are paying for the readisorb?

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n2themystic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2themystic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Desertlily,

You herx when you get glutathione iv? My doc has me do them to help the liver and to help the herxing.

That said its hit or miss for me. I get a IV once a week. Sometimes I feel pretty good after it and other times I feel pretty bad.

Posts: 186 | From colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mookie333
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26021

My pharmacist gets me Designs for Health Glutathione Powder. He felt that this brand was good.

But who knows..you can order it online at designsforhealth.com

It is a 50 gm container.

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't docs at the last ILADS conference say oral caps were OK? It seems that they should know what's up...

With higher doses, you'll prob get some benefit.

I do find that protein shakes help to some degree though...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertlily
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
momlyme - I bought mine at my LLMD's office, and to be honest, I don't remember what I paid, but for me, since I was only able to tolerate a few drops at a time, it would last a long time. (I still have the bottle.)

n2themystic - Yes, I do herx, but I do know that there are different pathways that the liver uses to detox, and I think that as it's doing it's job, my body is probably having to deal with more toxins. I already know that I have trouble detoxing, because I can only handle very small doses of medications/antibiotics.

It really depends on the individual I think, as far as how they will respond to the glutathione, but it is still something that as Lyme patients can be very helpful.

--------------------
Susan

Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertlily:
My doc gave my liposomal glutathione to use, the brand name is "ReadiSorb". It comes in a liquid form and you mix it with water or juice.

It works, because I "herx" with it just like I do with IV glutathione :-(

Their website is www.readisorb.com

Same here, and it tastes f-ing disgusting.
Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not meaning to hijack, but wondering: does anyone have any experience with an oral supplement called Max GXL? It's supposed to contain a glutathione precursor that raises glutathione levels.
Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

viva - do they have a link to the ingredients of that product? I found the marketing site... just can't find what they put in it.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's LLMD has her taking Essential Pro brand liposomal glutathione softgels. The liposomal has a better absorbtion rate...somewhere in the 80% range.
Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by momlyme:
viva - do they have a link to the ingredients of that product? I found the marketing site... just can't find what they put in it.

Yeah it's kinda annoying. you have to mouse over the (?) next to the "Supplemental facts"

Max GXL Ingredients

Serving Size � 3 capsules (56 servings per box) � take 1 pkg in the am, one in the pm

Amount per serving
Vitamin C (as Calcium Ascorbate) � 250mg
N Acetyl Cysteine � 375mg
L-Glutamine � 750mg
N Acetyl D-Glucosamine � 125mg
Quercetin � 37.5mg
Milk Thistle Extract (Silybum marianum 80% Sylimarin) � 25mg
Alpha Lipoic Acid � 75mg
Cordyceps � 300mg
Conjugated Linoleic Acid � 100mg

PS: THis is not an endorsement.

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement