LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rifampin side effect - possibly dangerous?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rifampin side effect - possibly dangerous?
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my 2nd attempt at trying to take Rifampin. The first time, I developed several petechiae rashes on my upper chest/neck area, and because we weren't sure if that was purpura, I was told to stop the Rifampin.

There was a warning on my write-up that you should stop ASAP is purpura develops, as it can lead to cerebral hemmorage.

Well, I've tried taking 1 per day, and getting the petechiae again. It looks like small pinprick red or purple dots, and they come in clusters. Basically looks like hickeys.

I'd love to know if anyone else has gotten this. Also, if you continued taking Rifampin. It doesn't seem to be a very well-known side effect, but I googled purpura & Rifampin, and found some documentation about it.

Someone here has to know something about this, I hope.

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know nothing about that particular side effect.. but I personally wouldn't mess with Rifampin if that happened to me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Petechiae are a well documented symptom of bartonella.

Have you had your VEGF tested? -- vascular endothelial growth factor. I would expect that to be elevated in your case. If so, that would indicate a bart infection and would probaby make petechiae more likely to be a herx symptom.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I haven't had that tested, but thanks for the idea.

If it's a herx symptom, it's seems like a fine line between remaining petechiae and turning into purpura. Maybe I'm just confused between googling these rashes and looking at the photos, and the fact that my llmd never commented on what my petechiae might be from...

Thanks for the feedback. Any one else?

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have/had the petechiae rash for years. I have clusters of bright red new ones that pop up regularly during bart flares.

This happens with or without abx. So for me it's just the bacterial pattern. My arms/legs and torso are covered with petechiae.

They start bright red then lighten to reddish/brown and never disappear regardless of any treatment.

Heat will make them stand more. Bea, I'll write down and research the VEGF. I've never tested + for bart, but there is no doubt I have one or more of the supposed 23 strains. Thanks.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How small are these petechiae? I have little red "dots" about the size of poppyseed, scattered over my breast area and hips. Not many, maybe about 20-30 total, not in clusters. They came along around the time I started abx.

I haven't ever taken Rifampin, though.

Is this the same thing you are talking about?

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Map - good to know someone else gets them, too. I've gotten them off & on for years, but never as many clusters of them as when I try Rifampin. I can't seem to find where the petechiae is a Bart symptom, but for you it definitely seems to be part of Bart. Mine also start bright red or purple, and fade.

So, Rifampin makes me look like I have a bunch of hickeys on me. I don't care about that, as long as it's not dangerous or going to lead to purpura.

Ham - the petechiae rash I'm describing is really like a hickey or sucker bite. It's a cluster of small red/purple dots, but they do fade & disappear within about 7-10 days. Sometimes they are itchy in the beginning. They are never raised bumps....just discolored under the skin.
If yours are single red dots that are raised, it may be just a cherry angioma. do they fade away?

little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get red bumps and rashes with my bartonella flares.

The rashes don't itch and I wouldn't even know they were there unless I'd seen them. But the bumps are very itchy in the beginning and then take a while to go away. I get them on my chest and my hands.

But I used to get the rashes the worst on the tops of my feet:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/99398?#000006

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also you CANNOT start and stop Rifampin, so please don't do so without asking your doctor! It only take one or two times of stopping/starting for the bacteria to build a resistance to it, and then you may as well not even take it at all becuase it won't kill anything! Rifampin MUST be taken continuously, or not at all.
Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Thanks, Olive.

Seems this rash issue with Rifampin is tricky stuff. If nothing else, I hope this thread will make people more aware of what rashes they develop on Rifampin, because even if it's 1 in a million chance of brain hemmorage, it's not something worth playing with.

little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

I'd be more worried of liver failure, which is a well-known side effect. Get your liver function checked periodically! [Smile]

--------------------
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2002 | Viral onset, following Hep B vaccine
Lyme since '06 | Bartonella since '08 (cured) | Mycoplasma pneumoniae since '08
IGeneX: IgM 31IND 34IND 41+ | IgG 39IND 58+ 41+++
IgG deficiencies and MTHFR 677TT mutations

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement