LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do I really have Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I really have Lyme?
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I am new here and I am wondering if I really have Lyme. My symptoms started in august with migrating tooth pain. I went to the dentist thinking it was a cavity. My dentist gave me an antibiotic thinking I had a sinus infection. Once I started the antibiotic I got a lot more symptoms (e.g. Anxiety, heart racing, chest pain, arm weakness, tingling in hands and feet, feeling of being sick, nausea, and loss of appetite). I had a work up for MS which was negative. I asked my doctor for a Lyme test (he thought I was crazy).

The screening test was negative. Over the next few weeks I started getting burning sensations and muscle twitching all over my body. I went to a new neurologist who performed an emg. It was abnormal in my right tricep.

He diagnosed me with possible slipped discs. But the MRI of my neck was normal. The neurologist said he could not explain my symptoms.

I had the WB done and had two reactive bands IgM 23 and IgG 18. My doctor agreed to treat me for Lyme.

I went to a LLMD in december and after 6 weeks of antibiotics I had a bulls eye rash on my side. The LLMD said I most likely had babesia and bartonella too.

I am now on A-Bab and many other supplements. However I don't feel like I'm getting any better. I know I need to be patient but I am getting concerned about the neurological symptoms and constant muscle twitching.

Has anyone else had an abnormal emg? My LLMD said this is a test most Lyme patients don't get but if they did a lot would be abnormal. I am just concerned that I have a neurological condition and not Lyme.

Also my igenix tests were not positive. IgM was IND at 23 and 41. IgG was + at 41. I was really hoping for a positive test result to confirm Lyme.
I am a 30 year old woman who was very active up until this happened.

Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first hint that I had lyme was when I was given zithromax for a root canal procedure and it stirred up an amazing experience, with numbness and waves of tingling. I did not realize at the time that I had lyme disease, and it wasn't until a year after that when the roof fell in on me symptom-wise, and the lyme was diagnosed, that I discovered my dental experience was a herx. At the time, the dentist had no explanation for this reaction to an antibiotic.

So, your story rings bells for me.

If you were infected about the time of your tooth symptom, then you are a relatively early catch. But it might actually have been longer. Really no telling. But it will make a difference in how long you will need treatment.

You had a bulls eye rash. You have it. And maybe some of the coinfections. And CT is lyme central. Newbies are always looking for testing to be perfect and wanting that positive test. Sorry, lab testing is not perfect.

Yes, I had an abnormal EMG.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loripink01
Member # 23548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loripink01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Had you had a rash before or just after you had the 6 weeks of antibiotics? Do you remember being bitten?

Posts: 51 | From Indiana | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Runner, could it be you've been under too much stress prior to your symptoms? I think you should also pay attention to detox and try lymphatic massage and cranio sacral therapy, they really help with those symptoms. Hang in there.
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Runner,

Sounds all to familiar to me also� yes for me too>abnormal EMG. And also all your other symptoms.

Do yourself a favor, except that you Lyme disease> Bulls eye rash=Lyme

We all understand your concerns about the neurological symptoms and constant muscle twitching.
Just keep in mind, this is very common with Lyme and co-infections.

I�m glad you have an LLMD. I hope you start feeling better soon!

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all the replies.

lou - Did your neurological symptoms get better after treatment? I wonder if the medications from getting a cavity filled affected me too.

Lori - I did have a rash on my arm in August that I thought was poision ivy. I was working in the garden. So I could have been infected then. Not sure.

Shahbah - of course having weird symptoms and not knowing what they are from is stressful. But stress does not cause an abnormal emg nor does it explain my symptoms. I am trying my best to detox. I should look into massage.

Steve - Thanks. You are right I need to accept Lyme Disease. Funny thing is I had to fight for this diagnosis and figured it out myself, and now that I have the diagnosis I am questioning it.

Has anyone ever gotten a bulls eye rash from a herx or during treatment? Could an abnormal emg turn into a normal emg after treatment?

Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bullseye means that, regardless of what any blood test says, you have it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement