LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » when to test for heavy metal toxicity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: when to test for heavy metal toxicity
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just started to read a little about heavy metal toxicity. I have only been treating for lyme/bartonella since Jan 1 but want to be aggressive in getting back to health.

I will be returning to work in Sept 2011 after a 2 year maternity leave and my time will be much more limited for appts.I want to make the next several months count.

Just wondering if the hyperpigmentation of my skin could also be a result of heavy metal toxicity. It really doesn't look like the pics I have seen of Bart and want to rule in/out other possibilities while I have easier access to dr. appts. Thanks for input.

Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am one who went into remission when I had a milder form of Lyme from heavy metal chelation and having my amalgams out. I think it's important.

Also, when I chelated lead with this more recent, more severe case of Lyme, babs, bart, I felt much better when I was chelating than before. I was pulsing chelation and felt better on chelating days than others.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Six...can you tell me more about what is involved in chelation or recommend a good online resource? I feel like my case of lyme/bart is mild at this stage so would really like to look into this some more!
Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard that pregnancy can cause hyperpigmentation and have seen it on pregnant friends.

I understand it can take time to go away and may not totally go away.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anna, it depends on your doctor. It's best to have your LLMD oversee the chelation.

The chelation I did after amalgam removal was back in 1991, it's outdated.

The lead chelation I did with Lyme treatment isn't the same as mercury chelation.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

The word chelation is totally new to me. Never heard of it and not sure what an amalgam is either. Will google! TF--the hyperpigmentation I had looks different then what many pregnant women go through but it did show up during a pregnancy that I miscarried in Sept so maybe it is related to that and hasn't gone away. I just want to make sure I actively rule things out. Thanks!
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Amalgams are the fillings that are a silver color. They have mercury in them.

--------------------

momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started learning by joining a couple of yahoo groups...

Autism-Mercury

adult-metal-chelation

I created a free yahoo email address to join. It takes a little while for them to accept your application for membership... but then you can search the archives and they have a lot of info in the Files section too.

Eventually, I found many people talking about the book "Amalgam Illness" by Andrew Cutler. I wanted to read the whole thing before I started, just to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

My son's LLMD is working with us and doing all the tests that she is able to... NYS limits testing to whole blood and urine.

If you want to do the hair test, there is a way around the NYS laws... You have to call direct labs and they will mail you the test.

My son and I are doing the HPU protocol and using binders/ chelating agents like DMSA and ALA - which are both over the counter.

He is treating Babs and Bart while doing this... and I am doing a parasite cleanse.

Chelating metals releases bugs and killing bugs releases metals... so doing both together is a good idea.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would test for these early in treatment: heavy metals, KPU and parasites. These are all issues that need to be looked at and treated in order to have successful Lyme treatment.
Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energyman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energyman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you test for metals?
i'm from germany by the way.

how do you chelate lead?
i had amalgams in my youth but that's about 12 years ago. and i only had two fillings, but some more when i was a child.

i don't know if the topic is real or overhyped, it depends on the person i think.

Posts: 159 | From Germany | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anna
My LLMD saw the hyperpigmentation on me and said it was from KPU

It can also be from pregnancy or BC pills

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Energyman... we did hair testing through http://www.doctorsdata.com actually went through http://www.directlabs.com to get it done because we live in NYS and doctors and patients from NY cannot get tests done directly through Doctors Data.

I am not sure if they would mail to germany... you could call to find out. The direct line to Direct Labs is 985-231-0879.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before you can do any metal chelating you absolutely have to remove any metal fillings you have. Do you have any?

The best way to test for heavy metals is through a urine challenge test. You take some oral supplement that pulls metals, then collect urine for 6 hrs and send it to the lab. You cannot even do this test if you have metal fillings though.

There are several chelating agents -- DMPS, DMSA and EDTA are the best. I think they can all be taken orally or via IV, depending on how quick you want to get results. They all pull all the metals, but EDTA is better for lead and the others are better for mercury.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To test for heavy metals, find a doctor who has experience in this field, preferably also can do energetic testing. It is not a good idea to use any of these agents - DMPS, DMSA, EDTA and some others, without the guidance of a doctor or practitioner who knows. Timing is more important than most anything else. You do not want to only distribute the metals any further; rather you want to be able to get them out totally. More damage is done by novice metal detox attempts. Not even some of the most expert LLMD's have any clue how to do it right.

Most if not all knowledgable doctors will not attempt metal detox as long as the fillings remain in the mouth. The metal keeps moving into the central nervous system/brain while the fillings are still in the mouth. This should be avoided under all circumstances. Removing metals out of the brain is not an easy task as long as the body and immune system is not fully functional.

Read the Allergie Immun thread. Most people are allergic to the major toxic metals and the body therefore is unable to release them. Many challenge tests tell little or not much when that is the case. We have no lab test tells how much is in the body, how much remains, etc.

Do searches here - this subject has been discussed over and over. Don't make a decision without a doctor who knows.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Thanks everyone. I do have a couple of fillings (never had a cavity until age 25 now age 39) . Would I need to contact my dentist about removing them?

Heather--I also live in NY (think we may have messaged about being in the general same area before...I am outside of Albany). I will ask my NP about heavy metal toxicity and testing for it.

Lauralyme--where is your hyperpigmentation and what does it look like? I have it on my thighs and the underside of my arms.

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2-3 amalgam fillings in my mouth. Is it safe to assume my LLMD (the bigshot Dr H in NY) is knowledgeable enough about chelation to adequately handle my issues? Of course he has not mentioned AI. I believe GiGi is the only person in the U.S. that knows this method except for Dr K now after she informed him.

GiGi should become a LLMD! She seems to know way, way more than any of the hardcore LLMDs about health.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, my LLMD's PA mentioned using oral DMSA for the challenge test months ago knowing I have amalgams. With their reputation as a top-notch office, why would they if this truly is so dangerous as you're saying Jlp38?

Am i playing with fire to even try something such as Zeolite ACN 200 spray which supposedly chelates metals? They want me on this ALA, NAC, Chlorella and some other supplements.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

I believe both A.C. (author of "Amalgam Illness") and Dr. K. believe that hair testing is the most reliable way to test for heavy metals. Dr. K. also tests with ART.

I don't think IV chelation is safe. Many of the doctors I contacted to help me with chelating wanted to do IV... I refused.
http://www.dmpsbackfire.com

I have done a lot of reading on support forums for adult chelation, autism-mercury chelation, curezone, books, files, DAMS reports...

I have decided to chelate myself and my son with the HPU protocol (supplementing essential minerals) and pulsing oral chelators - 3 days on, 3 days off as outlined in A.C's book.

We also use a surplus of oil supplements throughout the day. Heavy metals and bacteria like to hang out in the fatty organs and tissues so supplementing good fat allows these body parts to let go of the toxins.

I also agree 100% with NOT using any chelating chemicals while you still have amalgams or other exposure to toxic metals.

ALA pulls metal from the brain. It is the only oral chelator that I know of that does this. Do not attempt using ALA until you have had amalgams out for 3+ months.

Many here supplement with ALA as per Dr. B's guidelines... in my opinion and from what I have read, supplementing with ALA while you have heavy metals in your system may be redistributing toxins and may even make you feel worse.

Anna - we are close. PM me if you want the name of my biological dentist. He's in Kingston. I highly recommend him. Best dentist I ever saw.

Try doing a search here:
http://www.acamnet.org

--------------------
May health be with you!

GiGi
Member # 259

Here is a portion of a talk Dr. K. did a few years ago during a 3-day heavy metal and chemical detox seminar to dentists, medical doctors and other type practitioners:

"Here's the real thing that alpha lipoic acid does, with all the things it doesn't do. It does help the excretion of gluathione-bound toxic metals. This is how the liver excretes metals. They are bound to glutathione, and that's the way they come out in the biliary tree, and alpha lipoic acid is a great co-factor with that. BUT ALPHA LIPOIC ACID DOES NOT DETOX THE BRAIN. It has never done anything helpful to the brain, like people are saying. People mistake it because when they clear out the liver and they feel better, they think, "My brain feels better, therefore alpha lipoic acid must be doing something to the brain." Well, it does indirectly, but not directly. \\If you want to clean out your brain, you have to take cilantro, goat whey, and a few other things. There is nothing un-natural that I have found that reliably detoxes the brain. All the things that reliably detox the brain are all natural things."

A.C. (not a medical doctor) was a Dr.K. invited speaker at the same seminar).

I remember a Dr. H./NY putting a friend of mine on chelation while she still had a full mouth of amalgams. She took years to get over that one.

I urge you to leave your hands off detoxing metals unless you can be closely watched by a doctor/practitioner who has done it many times. And again, believe me that nothing works if you allergic to any of the metals. Not one person from this board, as far as I am aware, who has taken the AI test was not allergic to some or all - mercury, lead, nickel and copper, some of the worst ones.

Agian, don't do it on your own. The possible damage is difficult to undo and usually metal detox cannot be accomplished without addressing all the infections that are present there.

It is a constant weaving around -- often all together to make it work. Energetic testing is the most important factor to get results. Any other way is like shooting darts in the dark.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lvhLEwNfwccJ:www.cqs.com/amalgam.htm+effect+of+lipoic+acid+on+biliary+excretion+of+glutathione+and+metals+klinghardt+toxicology +and+applied+pharmacology&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Wow, this scares me so much. Why doesn't he call Dr K for advice in these situations? Besides Dr. K who reliably detoxes heavy metals? Obviously only a few can get into this doctor out of millions who need help. I looked on the Dr K referral list,but could find no one in my region.

quote:
Originally posted by GiGi:

I remember a Dr. H./NY putting a friend of mine on chelation while she still had a full mouth of amalgams. She took years to get over that one.

momlyme
Member # 27775

Try doing a search here:
http://www.acamnet.org

Do a search for your zipcode.

Look for doctors who specialize in Chelation Therapy

--------------------
May health be with you!

seekhelp
Member # 15067

I looked. None of the doctors on that list locally are nearly smart enough to do this stuff. Not if Dr. K is correct in his assumptions. Anyone can get on this list....being a genius and handling chelation is a whole different game IMO.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement