LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » treatment and extreme swelling of knne

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: treatment and extreme swelling of knne
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for climber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
First of all this site is saving me and I sure many others. Although I can not place faces with the screen names,it really does not matter. I still feel very connected to the people on this site and it is an endless source of inspiration, information, and compassion.

I have been in treatment since June of 2010.(undiognosed for 5 years)

Currently taking:(the last two months)
-Mino
-Tindamax pulsing two weeks on two weeks off
-Rifampin
-IV Ceftriaxone 2mg. per day
I also take many supplements and herbs.

Five years ago I had unexplained swelling of my left knee and it was drained and tested and nothing came back positive. So every year I would have my knee drained in September and then it would stay down for another year. Two years ago I developed tingling in my fingers and toes, brainfog, extreme fatigue, unexplained bursts of anger, migrating joint pain, eye issues,night sweats, etc. After visiting many doctors and endless tests, I finally went to a couple of LLMDs in CT. Using Igenex, and many other labs, along with considering all my symptoms, I began my treatment for Lyme/ Bart. As with all of us, there have been peaks and valleys. In December I decided to begin the IV process and I am responding well to the treatment. However, for the past six months my knee will swell up for a week and then go down for a week. I usually get about 70cc of fluid and my white blood count, for the synovial fluid, is at 30,000. An MRI showed that my knee is structurally sound.

My questions:
-I know this is a common symptom, but have other people finally resolve this issue?

- Both my LLMDs feel that this is a sign that the bacteria in my knee is reacting to the treatment and it is a positive sign. Does this sound accurate?

- In a couple of month I will be switching up my oral protocol and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations/success stories that pertain to cyclical swelling of the knee?

-How long can this swelling last?-Man it is rather painful!!

As always, you will all be in my morning and evening prayers!
Climber

Posts: 108 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Climber-

I know Dr. Steere is unpopular on this board but I thought I should at least mention that he used DMARD therapy (ie plaquenil 200mg 2x a day) to treat refractory arthritis(joint swelling)... You might want to at least Google his articles on the treatment of arthritis that doesn't seem to be responding to antibiotics......He has a certain protocol he follows....

Please don't kill the messenger....Just putting info out there.....

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for climber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugg- Thank you for your response and I will look into it because at this point I am willing to research any other options. I am pretty desperate.
climber

Posts: 108 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have had knee trouble, on and off for the last 20 years my left knee has swollen up at random times for a week or so then go back to normal. sometimes i would go months with no trouble and others only a week or two.

The last couple of years it has been vey good but once I started treating with doxy 12 months ago it flared up worse than it ever has. I ended up on crutches for a few days.

That flare up was 9 months ago and its been fine since. I had an appointment with my llmd when it was at its worse and she said it was the Lyme in my knee reacting to the antibiotics.

Although I still have other symptoms and am still treating my knee has not flared up since that time.

Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

wealdsteve- Thank you for your post! I am glad to hear that you knee is feeling better. For the past six months mine blows up every seven dayts and stys inflamed for six or seven days. My LLMDs mentioned the same thing about the reaction to the antibiotic treatment. It just seems like a long time for cyclical flareups. I will be switching things up in a couple of months. If you don't mine me asking, what are you taking for meds? Good luck and thank you.
climber

dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyna3495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this as the initial symptom. After gaining control of it with prednisone, I began an agressive parasite treatment and gradually reduced the prednisone. The condition has not returned.
Posts: 160 | From Mid-east USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

dyna-
You totally read my mind. Do you recommend any type of parasite treatment? I was just about to place an order with Humaworm. Thank you for your response and I am glad that you were able to resolve that condition.
climber

wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took doxy and artesunate for 3 months, then amoxy, zithromax and flagyl and artesunate for 3 months, then back on doxy with rifampicin for three months. I am at the mo taking a break from antibiotics but am still taking artesunate.

During my break from antibiotics I have tackled parasites. I did 30 days of humaworm then went straight onto 30 days of parastroy. The parastroy definatly did something. Had a lot of die off symptoms and strange bits floating around in the toilet. Have now finished that so am just taking artesunate until my follow up llmd appointment middle of next month.

I would say my symptoms have worsened during the three months off antibiotics but not sure if its that or the parasite treatment working.

In my experience I would say parastroy worked for me better than humaworm. I will take a break then do another course of parastroy soon.

Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

wealdsteve- Thank you for your insight and I am going to start with the parasite treatment next week. With your symptoms worsening, as you mentioned, maybe it is the parasite treatment that is mimicking LD, etc. I think I will go with the parastroy and then evaluate. Good luck to you and thank you once again.
climber

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked into using LED light therapy?

This heals the tissues, and I've read articles by horse owners who treated abcesses with it.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

carol- I have not looked into LED therapy. Is it similar to cold laser therapy?
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wealdsteve:
I took doxy and artesunate for 3 months, then amoxy, zithromax and flagyl and artesunate for 3 months, then back on doxy with rifampicin for three months. I am at the mo taking a break from antibiotics but am still taking artesunate.

During my break from antibiotics I have tackled parasites. I did 30 days of humaworm then went straight onto 30 days of parastroy. The parastroy definatly did something. Had a lot of die off symptoms and strange bits floating around in the toilet. Have now finished that so am just taking artesunate until my follow up llmd appointment middle of next month.

I would say my symptoms have worsened during the three months off antibiotics but not sure if its that or the parasite treatment working.

In my experience I would say parastroy worked for me better than humaworm. I will take a break then do another course of parastroy soon.

Your protocol looks good.

Does the artesunate help you a lot? I have been thinking about ordering some.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

The artesunate seems to keep my brain fog away. I take 4x 20mg a day but always feel it is just keeping something at bay rather than really attacking it.

Often wonder how much I could take without causing damage.

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, have not read all the above. My husband had a knee twice the size - Dr. K. treated it with bee venom. Now, with any type where lack of circulation becomes a problem, we use bee venom cream (Venex). It works very well to increase circulation and thereby affecting toxin deposits.

Most of the deposits are not caused by the bacterial, but by heavy metals in the joints where the pathogens find save heaven due to lack of oxygenated blood flow. It means cleaning the area out of all that should not be there in the first place. Bugs settle in contaminated terrain - the knees, the shoulder joints, jaw, neck areas, ankles, feet, etc. It means treating parasites who hold on to toxins/metals, treating toxic metals by eliminating any allergies to them; etc. etc.

When you treat parasites, you are releasing toxic metals, fungi next, bacteria, and last viruses.
If you don't treat parasites, the chances of getting better and rid of toxins are tiny.
Pharmaceuticals for parasite treatment is much more effective than months of herbal cleanses that do not reach the brain. Parasites are everywhere including the CNS.

Many common parasites are not visible in the toilet unless you get at it with a powerful
microscope. Hope everyone starts treating them.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26330

GiGi -Thank you for the sound advice and I will look into Venex. Do you remember the meds. that you used to treat parasites? Thank you and parasite treatment was my next step on my extensive tretment plan.
climber

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement