LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cat owners -- Do our cats put us at risk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cat owners -- Do our cats put us at risk?
lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lajamur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday my doctor referred to cats as "nasty creatures" and implied that they carry a lot of bugs. He even went so far as to say that we will probably want to get rid of them when we decide to have our first baby!

Our cats are both rescues and as I don't have children yet, they ARE our kids!!

Has anyone thought about having your cats "cleaned up" -- i.e., treated for bart, etc, as a precautionary measure?

Ours are obviously up to date on shots and all the regular stuff, but we haven't really done much beyond routine maintenance.

Both are quite healthy, but as I said they are both rescues -- one we found on the street as a kitten, one we adopted from a filthy and overcrowded shelter. So it does make sense that they could be carrying some stuff.

Any thoughts?

TIA! [Smile]

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
IGM positive Western Blot (Bb)
PCR positive Spiro Stat (Anaplasma)
Suspect babs and bart

Posts: 226 | From Currently in Los Angeles, originally from Malvern, PA. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc hasn't commented on my pets though I've mentioned we have them.

We have seriously considered getting rid of them, too. All of them are rescues and are family, but we also have children.

One of the kids and I are sensitive to cat dander, though it's manageable as long as we keep a distance. We don't have the heart to get rid of them.

I do suspect at least one of my children also has TBI. Ticks are all over our neighborhood and we use more stuff on the animals than is probably good for their health.

We keep the house as clean as possible and have agreed on taking on no more pets. Everytime we talk about finding the animals new homes, I end up crying. Right now the emotional pain of the idea weighs heavier than the risks.

I do know it's very important to keep your distance from cats when pregnant, especially away from the litter box because of the risk of toxoplasmosis. That was before I knew about TBI, when I was living life as a presumed-healthy-but-crazy person.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely don't allow them to sleep in your bed

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lajamur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, but is there a way to "clean them up" so they don't pose as much of a threat? Ours are indoor cats so they are effectively quarantined with us. I'm not worried about them picking things up, and they don't have fleas or ticks.. am more concerned about what they contracted before they were with us.

sbh -- I totally empathize. We are animal lovers and can't imagine life without them.

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
Suspect babs and bart

Posts: 226 | From Currently in Los Angeles, originally from Malvern, PA. | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you can "clean them up" .. they all CAN carry certain diseases. And of course they can all carry TICKS.

All pets are a risk...sad to say.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do not need to get rid of your pets unless you cannot take care of them any longer.

If your cat is not going outside it is not going to pick up any diseases or bring any fleas or ticks into the house.

There are some other common sense things that you can do to keep you and your cats healthy. Keep the cat's nails trimmed so that they cannot accidentally scratch you while playing. Don't let your pet lick you or chew on your fingers. Teach your cat to stay off the table, counter, sink, etc.

You can wear disposable gloves and a mask when cleaning the litter box. If you are concerned about dust and dander then get a HEPA filter to clean the air. Vacuum regularly to pick up the pet hair. You can also keep them out of the bedroom if you'd like.

In my opinion, the benefits of having a pet far outweigh any possible negatives. They keep me entertained and make me laugh. They comfort me when I'm feeling bad. I'm happy to wake up and see them everyday. Pets are a blessing.

All of my pets were strays at one time too. Now they're family.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

But Lymetoo, if a cat is carrying bart, and then, for example, you treat it for bart ... wouldn't that be an effective "clean up" of sorts?

Since our cats don't go outside I don't see how they'd pick up any fleas or ticks (they haven't had either in the four years since we adopted them).

I'm not considering getting rid of them -- no way I could do that -- but I'm thinking there may be a way to treat them for bart or whatever so that there would be LESS of a chance of them passing something on to us.

I agree, sammy, that they are a blessing!

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
Suspect babs and bart

Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that all dogs have parasites....
maybe cats do too

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"sammy", the voice of reason in this thread.
Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got this destructive bartonella from a new kitten and got repeated exposure via flea bites because the kitten hadn't been taken care of... So my obvious answer would be yes.

But that's not all. All species of bartonella found in dogs are also human diseases, and if you ask me those strains are worse (have a stronger affinity for the heart and are more difficult to eradicate).

For someone with immunosupression (such as being chronically infected with all these other pathogens we carry), I'd suggest indoor pets ONLY. I guess it really depends on how comfortable you are with the risk. If I got anything else I'd probably die. Others are sick but still able to have somewhat-normal lives so obviously the risk for them wouldn't be as high.

I agree with your doctor. Cats are health hazards for people in certain situations. Everyone else can do what they like. [Smile]

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toxoplasmosis can be very nasty and we get it from cats. Almost everyone carries it, but someone dear, though never in direct contact with any cat, just was diagnosed with Toxo deep in the brain and it is important to treat it. Much research was done on Toxo years ago with regard to HIV/AIDS. So it is not always an innocent infection.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We were doing a lot of kitten fostering a couple of years ago when my daughter was bedridden (it kept up her spirits).

I talked extensively about the risks of Bartonella with our LLMD. His advice was to test the pregnant mom cats for Bartonella, which we did. The ones we tested were negative, so the kittens were okay.

As for our own cats, he recommended just treating them for Bartonella, instead of testing, since the testing is expensive. He suggested Azithromycin, but the vet wanted to use something else, I can't remember what. We went ahead and treated them, to be on the safe side, even though we doubted they were infected.

Of course, they could still contract Bartonella, through a flea or tick bite, so we are careful to keep up with their Frontline/Advantage dosage to keep the fleas and ticks away. (We are lucky to have very few ticks here, but plenty of fleas)

Toxoplasmosis can also be tested for. I remember when I got pregnant 17 years ago my ob/gyn ran a test when I told her I had two cats. Currently we have a cat door and no litter box.

Our animals are such a blessing in our lives and the fostering was so healing for my daughter. Talk to your vet about prophalatic treatment or testing so you won't have to worry.

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is information on prevention of toxoplasmosis:
http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/prevent.html

There are also links on the lifecycle of toxoplasmosis, treatment, etc. It's pretty interesting.

You can get toxoplasmosis from improperly handled food and undercooked meat. You may also come in contact with it while gardening. It can also be found on fruits and vegetables so you need to wash them well before eating.

Something else mentioned on the CDC website, you should clean the cat's litter box daily. The toxoplasmosis parasite does not become infectious until 1-5 days after it is shed in the cat's feces.

Cats usually only shed the parasite for 1-2 weeks after they become infected. Cats become infected by eating the parasite hosts (rodents or birds) or from contaminated soil or litter.

From what I understand, if you keep your cat inside and change the litter box every day you can break the cycle of infection. Good to know, right. To be doubly sure, you could also ask the vet to treat your pet.

Bartonella and other parasites can be treated also.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my cat is my son. He is well worth any risk. I have said for years that when a person is diagnosed with a chronic illness the first script that should be given is for a cat (unless they are allergic or to sick to take care of them or something). He has the best llittle face to wake up to.

Humans, including spouses and human children can carry ticks to us and transmit diseases to us but we dont kick them out.

I think cats are one of the most divine creatures there are. Maybe your dr was a cat hater.

Yes I am biasised. I am a big cat lover. the cats in my life have made all the illness, suffereing and loss over the years alot easier to bare. I will always defend them [Smile]

Years ago we had an indoor cat who got very bad fleas. We brought them in to her.... but she loved us anyway [Smile]

I was told the tbds tests are worthless by my vet. I figure he doesnt have bart. cuz i dont have bart... one of the few common ones i dont have or had.

Cleaning the litter box everyday is a good idea anyway. we use corn litter. it clumps good too.(i have severe mcs and it is what i can tolerate) so its natural no exposure to chemicals in litter. we do get his stool tested every so often for paresites.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 2 Maine Coon cats. We got them as kittens and they were our children before we had children. now they are loved members of our family.

We will not get rid of them. Period. They are indoor cats and have never been outside.

I do think Bart may have been / or may still be a concern as one of my cats has plasmocytic lympocytic stomatitis and this can be caused by Bart. They did a month of Doxy / Zith as a test and are much better.

Don't get rid of your family. You can always give them Bart antibiotics or have your vet call Galaxy Diagnostics (google them.)

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bcb..Our neighbor used to have a Maine coon cat.. very unique and pretty cat!

Ask your vet about this, laja.. of course, he will be "prejudiced" in the other direction! But he/she can explain it to you so you'll know if there are any real concerns.

I think having an indoor cat makes a big difference.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klt9751
Member # 28656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klt9751     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cats were like children to me, too. But I strongly suspect that my "indoor" cats are the reason I have Lyme. About 14 years ago one of my cats got out, and I tromped through the woods to find him. After I finally got him back inside, I found a tick on him. It's the only tick I can ever remember seeing. I don't know for sure, but I'll bet he brought others in with him, and of course he slept with me. It wasn't long after this that I started experiencing my first symptoms. I didn't figure out that I had Lyme until just recently.

My cats are no longer around--they grew old and passed away. But even though I love cats, I won't get another one. I'm not sure what I would have done if I'd known about the risk back then. It's a very difficult situation. If it were just me I might have taken the risk, but if my son had been around at the time, I probably would have erred on the side of caution and tried to find my cats another good home.

Posts: 39 | From Traverse City, MI | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had Lyme and Bart BEFORE I got my cats. And I haven't gone down hill since I've had them. They are front declawed, are up to date on shots and have always been indoor cats.

I clean the litter every 2 days, but after reading this I think I might make it a daily thing.

I love them, the kids love them. I think the kids and my husband are more likely to get TBDs from me than them...

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is safe to have indoor cats and use common sense.

I completely agree with what sammy and AZURE WISH have posted.

The benefits of having pets are enormous and very rewarding.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
indoor cats who get regular vet care are pretty safe. Most people already have been exposed to toxo and dont know it. you can get it from gardening and eating meat. I was a vet tech for 12 years before getting lyme. I still test negative for bart after being scratched, bitten and must have surely had a few fleas.

You can get your cat tested for bart very easily if your worried. If positive, they will likely treat with 30 days of zith. For toxo, cats only shed it in their stool very briefly. i would encourage anyone changing litter to wear a mask as well as gloves because it can be inhaled. Keep your cat on frontline so it doesnt get fleas and will help with ticks.

I did have acute toxo infection 1 year before getting lyme. I was out of work for 3 months. Maybe it was always lyme. I have read european articles that said they found toxo in some ticks. Toxo is usually very benign for most people, but very bad for pregnant women and those with hiv. Mepron will treat it.

Dont get rid of your cats, thats pretty extreme.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it wasnt for my 1 year old kitten, I would have slit my wrists by now. She lays with me (IN MY BED) right by my side and seems to know when I am feeling horrible. She is not a lap cat at all....yet when I cry she rubs up against me and stares till I stop.

Sometimes I would take this shelter kitty over the adults in my life anytime.

Once again we need to take off our lyme glasses and learn to live and love life as we always did before this diagnosis...

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by annier1071:
If it wasnt for my 1 year old kitten, I would have slit my wrists by now. She lays with me (IN MY BED) right by my side and seems to know when I am feeling horrible. She is not a lap cat at all....yet when I cry she rubs up against me and stares till I stop.

Sometimes I would take this shelter kitty over the adults in my life anytime.

Once again we need to take off our lyme glasses and learn to live and love life as we always did before this diagnosis...

Well said <3

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people just don't like animals so they like to tell everyone how awful they are. I don't care if it's a doctor or whoever... I like having pets.

I don't let my cat outside, though.

klt9751 said - "I tromped through the woods..". Don't you suspect that you could have picked up a tick while tromping rather than from you cat?

Disease & germs are everywhere. What are we going to do - live in a plastic bubble? You just have to be careful. There are plenty of people living with animals who haven't gotten ill. They may actually make us more resistant to some illnesses...

---

Pets and Allergies

The old school of thinking was that if you or your children suffer from allergies, animals should be avoided at all costs; but more recent research shows that growing up with exposure to animals actually heightens allergy resistance, possibly due to developing a stronger immune system in response to the presence of animal bacteria.

Read more at Suite101: The Health Benefits of Pets http://www.suite101.com/content/the-health-benefits-of-pets-a362467#ixzz1IKqgH0Z8

---

When people burned all the cats because they thought they were witches - they got the black plague... The rat population went out of control. So, there are a few points of view about having cats around.

Also -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease caused by the protozoan Toxoplasma gondii.[1] The parasite infects most genera of warm-blooded animals, including humans, but the primary host is the felid (cat) family.

Animals are infected by eating infected meat, by ingestion of feces of a cat that has itself recently been infected, or by transmission from mother to fetus.

Although cats are often blamed for spreading toxoplasmosis, contact with raw meat is a more significant source of human infections in many countries, and fecal contamination of hands is a greater risk factor.[2]

-

It is estimated that between 30% and 65% of all people worldwide are infected with toxoplasmosis.[46]

However, there is large variation between countries: in France, for example, around 88% of the population are carriers, probably due to a high consumption of raw and lightly cooked meat. [47]

Germany, the Netherlands and Brazil also have high prevalences of around 68%, over 80%[48] and 67% respectively. In Britain about 22% are carriers, and South Korea's rate is 4.3%.[28]

---

About bartonella -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_scratch_fever

Kittens are more likely to carry the bacteria in their blood, and may therefore be more likely to transmit the disease than are adult cats. However, the results of experimental studies showed that fleas serve as a vector for transmission of B. henselae among cats,[5] and that viable B. henselae are excreted in the feces of Ctenocephalides felis, the cat flea.[6]

Another study showed that cats could be infected with B. henselae through intradermal inoculation using flea feces containing B. henselae.[7] As a consequence, it is believed that a likely means of transmission of B. henselae from cats to humans may be inoculation with flea feces containing B. henselae through a contaminated cat scratch wound or across a mucosal surface.

Although Bartonella DNA has been reported in ticks, there is no evidence that CSD can be transmitted by tick bites.

----

It's pretty easy to keep a cat free of fleas. I used a product called Program & it worked quite well one time when my cat got fleas. I think he got them from sitting in the window (he's an indoor cat). It does happen. We had squirrels & racoons that used to go on the roof near the window.

I would keep the cats. Just watch out for fleas & use common sense about the litter, etc.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a cat since I was 5. She passed at 23 5 years ago. She had neuro symptoms the last 5 years of her life. I will never get another animal in my lifetime. Several studies point to problems with pet ownership. Here is one on a connection with cats and ms. Many more out there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/67471

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lajamur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24593

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for these thoughtful replies!

Just to be clear, I REALLY am not considering get rid of them!!! Was just pondering ways to "de-germ" them!!

I could never give them up!! [Smile]

I love hearing about everyone else's beloved pets. They really do provide so much laughter and comfort. Both of ours love to sit on my lap when I'm at the computer. When I'm watching tv the fluffy one will curl up against me so I'm "spooning" him. It gives me such a good feeling.

I agree that dogs and cats are incredible and a true blessing.

I am going to look into having them tested/treated for bart, as well as treating for fleas and ticks more regularly despite the fact that they are indoor cats.

I wish I could see photos of everyone's "babies"!!!

--------------------
Symptoms since age 4
Suspect babs and bart

Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got to love Maine Coon cats. I've had several in my life. More like dogs than cats. They are like your best friend and follow you everywhere.

I had one that was so big it could reach up behind me and touch my waist. Could open any door in the house without jumping.

One time he wanted to get outside in the worst way, so he pushed a screen out of the frame in a second story window and just jumped. The only reason we knew where he hit was the fur ball he horfed up when he hit. None the worse for wear.

But stubborn to the extreme... this cat used to climb the woodwork and hang there - had no front claws. Used to watch me brush my teeth every morning hanging from the top of the doorway. As soon as I made a move towards him he was off like a shot. One big game...

Coolest cats there are.

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great stillwater....I have seen them on the animal shows..incredible.

I dont let my little one out and never will...not for fear of ticks but that she will run away on me or get hit by a car. I adore animals all of my life and this will not stop me.

There are deer all over our upstate property where I was bitten. After getting bit by two ticks and having lyme now, I was fearful about going back to the mountains this summer. After thinking about the beauty up there and the peacefulness it brings, I plan on forgetting about "bugs" this summer and doing what I have done all my life.

I rolled in the grass as a child, hid in the woods, and my pets were along side me. If ever a tick was gonna bite me it would have been then. This is just a "bump" in the road just like any other unwanted diagnosis. I love the mountains, love my animals and even the deer that graze on my lawn. Might not be a fan of the "tick" as a pet..but God put them here for some reason????
Maybe to make us stronger?

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those here who love cats, there is a great show on Animal Planet called "Must Love Cats." There are several episodes on this afternoon and early evening.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOVE these stories. My kitties "make my world go around"...such delightful animals. I have two tuxedo kitties that I adopted a year ago.

When they were babies, I had them tested through Dr.Breitzwerdt's lab in NC and yep, they came back positive for bart. My holistic vet who studied under Dr. Breitzwerdt treated them immediately.

About the deer I agree with you Annier. They are such peaceful innocent animals that take all the blame for lyme. So sad.

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stillwater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All that said, they are dirty little creatures, whether we leave them out or not. I mean they lick their, you know...

No cats sleeping on our beds. No licking, no biting. These are things I never thought about before.

But next week our two cats are being dewormed, and they are getting treated for Bartonella. Don't know if they have it or not, but they've had fleas at one time or another. I'm just not taking chances. Not even going to test, just ask the doctor to treat them.

I don't need to get reinfected. I do love my cats; I even pet them once in a while..

Posts: 699 | From confusion | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
annier, argggh! Be careful. I wouldn't say you shouldn't go to your house upstate, but to think that you can throw caution to the winds?? If you do, you are asking to get bitten again and have a big relapse. It has happened to me, even while being careful (well, not quite careful enough).

Please, please rethink that. Read the stickies at the top of Medical Questions on tick bite prevention and follow ALL of it. Let me tell you, rolling in the grass, going back to being naive about ticks, will only lead to more suffering than you would ever want to experience. (Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just couldn't let that pass).

Posts: 3770 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Thank you Rum...I meant rolling in the grass as a child...not about to do it today!!

I will be careful. My husband built this house in the mountians and is going there whether Id o or not...so I will not stay in the city alone..gonna go for the summer. Since I am out of work and in so much pain, the sun and quiet will be a blessing after this horrible winter in NY!

I will never ride the lawnmowers again that much i will not do since that is how I got bit twice.

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re: All that said, they are dirty little creatures, whether we leave them out or not. I mean they lick their, you know...

-

Well, at least they don't build nuclear reactors on earthquake faults in tsunami zones...

-

Also, I read that coconut oil may help prevent ticks from being able to crawl on you. There are natural tick deterrents. People have listed them here on occasion.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stillwater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30312

I said they were dirty, didn't say anything about stupid...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement