LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme and diminished range of emotions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme and diminished range of emotions
eggplahnt
Member # 31432

Icon 3 posted      Profile for eggplahnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really appreciate having this venue to share and ask questions. This experience is lonely and scary.

My worst symptom of lyme is what i would call an emotional numbness.

EMOTIONAL NUMBNESS..or a diminished range of emotions. It was actually one of my first symptoms which accompanied a depersonalization..but the

depersonalization is gone and the numbness still survives. I can't feel love anymore or any real

emotion for that matter. I will listen to a song or look at someone I love or talk to them..and no

emotions accompany these moments. Sometimes I can

feel a diminished or dulled feeling of anxiousness. But never good feelings. Only nothingness or dulled irritability or anxiousness. Has anyone else felt

this? And how does it go away? I notice that I'm really sensitive to supplements and when I take

tyrosine or tryptophan aspects of this symptom will subside for a short moment. Does this mean that the Lyme has depleted my nuerotransmitters? Does anyone

know anything about this? Or why this kind of thing happens?

Some things I want to point out about this. I know that this isn't just depression. Whatever this diminished emotional range is.. accompanies both my cognitive problems and physical problems.

This numbness makes me feel disconnected from myself. I don't even recognize myself in the mirror. Or anything for that matter.

I hope this wasn't too much information.

Maybe I can get some more feedback. Thank you to everyone for reading.

Michelle

Posts: 4 | From portland, or | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry that I really don't have any answers for you. All I can say is that I totally identify with how you feel. I don't know why it happens or when it will go away. I also feel very disconnected and numb most of the time. I am irritable and anxious and I feel like a shadow of my former self. I don't feel love most of the time and I also feel like I've kind of lost my sense of humor. It's incredibly depressing. I don't feel like the same person anymore.

I don't have any answers for you, I'm still searching for them myself..but you certainly aren't alone..

Hang in there. [group hug]

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eggplahnt
Member # 31432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eggplahnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long have you been feeling this way? And how long have you been treated for Lyme?

Michelle

Posts: 4 | From portland, or | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been in treatment for about 6.5 months. I've been feeling this way since I got sick, but it seems to have gotten worse over the last couple of months.
I don't know why, but it seems like this symptom is getting worse and it's harder to handle all the time..

How about you?

--------------------

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eggplahnt
Member # 31432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eggplahnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been in extensive treatment yet because I am waiting for my "official results" I've just been taking doxy. Can you describe to me exactly what your symptoms feel like?

Do you feel like it is depression? Apathy?

This feeling feels more physical than anything. Like that it is directly connected to something missing in my brain.

[Frown]

shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that "disconnected" feeling when I was ill, and was treated for Lyme. My son had the reduced range of emotions thing in spades, and it was one of the last things to ease, when he was treated for Bartonella.

Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

It's hard to put the exact feelings into words, but you could say it's like extreme depression mixed with apathy..mixed with total lack of emotion sometimes.

I feel like I have no patience and little things push me over the edge. I feel really irritable all the time. I am super aggitated and angry one minute and sad and crying the next. It's quite a rollercoaster and it's miserable.

Well, I certainly hope you can get some good treatment.. Are you seeing an LLMD (or are you planning on it)?

--------------------

eggplahnt
Member # 31432

I am seeing a LLND.

For some reason medical doctors are not allowed to treat for lyme disease in oregon.

But he can do all the same things regular doctors can do.

I am not sure if he does IV therapy. I hope so.. because I know I'm going to need it.

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Michelle,

I've had this experience and so has another friend of mine with Lyme. We suspect that it's endocrine- I think he even got some hormone tests and was low in testosterone, but that's no confirmation that that was specifically the cause for him. Anyway, lyme Disease does mess up your endocrine system quite a bit, which usually reverses completely upon treatment. Often people have both thyroid and adrenal system issues. Various supplements can help if that's the case- anyway, ND's are good at figuring out that sort of thing.

Anyway, one thought I had was that it's easier to be 'emotionally flat' than it is to be crying all the time, upset for no reason, etc, which is another phenomenon that many people with Lyme experience (also temporarily- it goes away with treatment).

Lots of people have gotten better without IV antibiotics, though they certainly have major advantages if you can get them.

For more background on the politics of why regular MD's are sometimes afraid to treat Lyme patients, there's a good video called Under Our Skin that is about to air on PBS this month and is available as a DVD, and there's a good book called Cure Unknown.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosebuds mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosebuds mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
egg,
You have described exactly how my daughter feels sometimes. She has had Lyme+co's for over three years and has felt disconnected to herself and her feelings many times during her treatments especially during herx's. I know its happening when ever I ask her a question and all she can reply is "I don't know". She says her emotions go to sleep. Her LLMD assured us it will go away with treatment, which is what I have seen as she has been slowly emerging again.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 118 | From Here | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search on depersonalization. I've lived this way since 11/09. You'll find many posts, mostly by me. Its the worst of symptom. Physical there too, but emotional numbness makes you feel insane. People react and cope differently. If u do a search, you'll see how many people have this. Feel better.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can 100% relate to this feeling. I hate it so much. It has really made life hard for me. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
norcal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It goes away with treatment.I know ,I had it. That was easily the worst symptom for me. Good luck to you.
Posts: 342 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate to this, hate this state of mind and the way I have been feeling but... I hope you don't get me wrong... !!!this strange state of mind helped me to stay extremely focused on myself and my struggle with Lyme for past two years!!!

Before I crushed with big symptoms in August 2008 I thought I was depressed, sometimes I was so much disconnected with outside world that I thought I suffer form some sort of autism.

When physical symptoms went out of control and I was diagnosed with Lyme I found some sort of inner peace.

And it does get better with the treatment.

I still go through ugly period of physical and emotional flare ups but then I remember where I was just few months ago, six months or a year ago and I am like this is not so ugly.

Good luck to all of us

Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was me, I would be seeing a chiropractic neurologist. As well as treating the lyme. Best wishes, CI
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It gets better with treatment. Be sure you are taking good probiotics. My LLMD has me on one and on Floraster & Nystatin. Doxy is very strong and kills EVERYTHING.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement