LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My dad pulled out a tick while camping but no EM rash- any reason to worry?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My dad pulled out a tick while camping but no EM rash- any reason to worry?
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenniferk32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironically, he was camping in the same place I was at when I contracted it 10 years ago. But he had no EM rash.

I know many people never get the rash, but really, is it necessary to go to the doctor and get antibiotics for every tick bite? Though I doubt they would give it to him anyway without the EM or a positive test.

What makes me mad is that I lectured both my parents before they went camping to wear bug spray, tuck their pants into their shoes, etc.

Did they listen? Noooo....My mom said she used it a few times, my dad not at all.

I even told my mom that going camping without taking preventative measures against tick bites is as risky as picking up a stranger at a bar and having sex with him without a condom!

So should he do anything? He didn't save the tick and I don't know if he pulled it out properly.

Posts: 107 | From Hesperia, CA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, mainstream doctors will say we're crazy and overreacting, but I would say that yes, he should probably at least see a doctor and try to get abx even without a rash.

At the very least, if he sees a doctor now, if he starts showing symptoms later, then he's got a record of having sought treatment for it. Not that that helps when you're suffering from chronic lyme.

Cold he go to an urgent care place that may take it more seriously and at least give him some abx?

Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had the rash. Get him on some meds ASAP!!!! DO NOT WAIT.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long was it attached, and can you find out how he pulled it out?

It might be worth getting him some abx just in case; dealing with a month or two of unnecessary Doxy is a lot better than dealing with chronic symptoms.

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenniferk32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well he's going to the V.A. today for a regular appointment and he's going to bring it up. Hopefully the doctor will give him some antibiotics. If not my dad will probably just forget about it unless he has symptoms, he thinks he's Mr. indestructible tough guy.
Posts: 107 | From Hesperia, CA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing what I know now..it's worth is to take a few months of doxy JUST IN CASE

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes, My nephew just had a tick pulled from him. No rash, just a little scab and he had the tick tested. Sure enough, it was a carrier of lyme disease.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby had a nymph surgically removed it was so embedded after an hour upstate. He was put on doxy for 2 months by my GP since he has seen what lyme did to me.

This is one of at least 50 ticks bites he has had over his lifetime and he did have lyme years ago but it cleared up with doxy also. He is IGG positive and that will never clear up but he has no symptoms of lyme at all . I think doxy right away is worth it!!

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bashibazouks
Member # 28286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bashibazouks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't matter how long it was attached!!

In the words of Walter Reed tick expert Richard Robbins: "Mechanically, there is nothing to prevent pathogen transmission at the first moment of contact."

THINK ABOUT IT: Mosquitoes, fleas, etc. can transmit pathogens in a bite that lasts just a second. Why would ticks be any different? We know that the spirochetes are found in their salivary glands. So any contact, however brief, is too long!

Also consider: when you find an attached tick, you can't ever really know how long it was there. If you knew it was there earlier, you would have removed it already!

quote:
Originally posted by 5vforest:
How long was it attached, and can you find out how he pulled it out?

It might be worth getting him some abx just in case; dealing with a month or two of unnecessary Doxy is a lot better than dealing with chronic symptoms.

--------------------
Currently infected with Lyme, Babesia, Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Mycoplasma, & Q-fever.

10 months into treatment, currently on Bicillin, Rocephin, Doxy, Biaxin, and Mepron.

Posts: 87 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.TreatTheBite.com

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people do not have an EM rash, and many go on to develop chronic Lyme.

In my case, no EM rash, and first symptoms showed up 10 weeks later.

So my advice is to treat a known tick bite. It's much easier to take preventive antibiotics for 6-8 weeks than it is to deal with a lifetime of chronic health struggle!

Usually, regular doctors are not educated about a sufficient level of antibiotics for prevention of Lyme. Since I am in California, I will be pming you about doctors.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement