LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » migraines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: migraines
katrinab
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrinab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone know what can help these type of headaches? usually when I get them I also get nausea, I dont know if this is indicative of anything. I also get them if I havent slept long enough (which is at least 12 hrs for me). I have tried things like vicodin, aleve, etc. percocet is the only thing that helps but i cant take that all the time.
Posts: 723 | From boston,ma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nausea does indicate that you are having true migraines, not "tension" or "cluster" headaches. I get that and the visual aura as well. I've tried different preventative medications but had such terrible side effects from them I'd decided just to risk having the migraines instead.

What did finally make a difference (this was all pre-lyme) was having my vitamin levels checked. Blood tests indicated I had very low B12. Supplementing the B12 did reduce the frequency of my migraines.

My primary doc also recommends feverfew or butterbur (herbs) to help prevent migraines. Check with your doc, though, because I don't know about reactions with other meds and I know feverfew cannot be taken daily, not sure about butterbur. I didn't find a difference with feverfew and never ended up trying the butterbur.

Do you ever get vertigo, either with or without the migraines? How often do you get them? A visit to a neurologist might be in order.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrinab
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrinab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the neurologist i saw wasnt helpful. he said to avoid eating chocolate and processed foods and that should get rid of the migraines. well, it didnt. this was before i was diagnosed with lyme. No I never got vertigo. I get the migraines still once a day, stress makes all of my symptoms worse so if it was a stressful day the migraine and nausea could last up to 6 hours. now if i am not under too much stress it usually lasts 1-2 hrs.
Posts: 723 | From boston,ma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertlily
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever tried any of the medications in the triptan category? For example, Imitrex, Maxalt, Relpax, etc? (Imitrex is generic, so it is the cheapest.)

They are a rescue med, ie. you take them when you get a migraine vs a preventative. They work fantastic for me, and are considered the first line of medical treatment for migraines.

Something to look into, they seem to work for most people, sometimes, one of the triptans will work better for one person than another, so say, if Imitrex doesn't work that well for you, Maxalt might work better.

Hope this info is helpful... I know that migraines can be intolerable.

P.S. I have had migraines my whole life, but they definately worsened when my Lyme and co-inf. kicked in.

--------------------
Susan

Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imitrex works for me. I take it immediately, as soon as there is any indication of a migraine type headache coming on. It is actually probably babesia causing my headaches now because they are behind both eyes, not just one. I have had migraines since I was 12 and these are a bit different but the imitrex is very effective.

I used to suffer with migraine 3-6 days. In bed, no light or sound. When imitrex was put on the market it was a miracle for me. But it was extremely expensive becoming more and more costly until I was paying $24 a pill. Now it is $20 for 9 pills. I buy the 100mg ones and use about one third of a pill for each headache. I wish Mepron/malarone would go generic!!!

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopesAlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think migraines were one of the first symptoms of Lyme, because I was first dxed with them at such a strange period of time in my life (no time of hormonal changes or high stress, etc)). I had high hopes for the triptans but none worked for me, and I tried them all, and in many different forms (oral, shots, nasal, etc.).

I tried several preventatives, and I found that Topamax does help with the frequency and intensity.

Kept a migraine diary for almost a year, and I was unable to I.D. any food triggers. The only trigger I found was damp/rainy/humid weather and changes in barametric pressure.

I take the preventative and pain meds. I take the pain meds like I would a triptan. First upon getting the aura and again an hour late if I get the full blown migraine.

I used to get so bad, once or twice per year, that I would go the E.R. However, I was treated SO horribly last time I had to go in, that I will now suffer through them at home no matter what.

I know they are not fun. I went to a pain clinic for years and they tried every preventative, painful procedures, physical theraphy, and triptans and I ended up on maintenance after all that. That was my first experience with feeling like a guinea pig. Lyme is my second, lol.

Good luck and I truly feel for you!

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

~~The Shawshank Redemption~~

Posts: 234 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried supplementing with magnesium? Here's a link to an article that talks about the connection between migraines and magnesium.

http://www.thedailyheadache.com/2007/04/magnesium_migra.html

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbiology
Member # 15839

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbiology     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had migraines most of my life (probably lyme related, and definately worse when lyme is flaring). I've tried a variety of preventatives. I still get them frequently, but the severity is not as bad as it used to be.

I take daily:
B2 (riboflavin)
B complex
Magnesium (chelated - according to one neurologist it's the most effective, and I did notice a difference once I switched)
depakote ER (it's an anti-seizure med, but helps prevent the migraines)
Butalbitol/Aspirin/Caffeine (1 daily, and extra if my migraine gets too bad)

If I get a migraine I take:
Imitrex if it's on my left side
Maxalt if it's on my right side
extra dose of caffeine or butalbitol/aspirin/caffeine

I know that sounds strange, but after years of experimenting with different drugs I realized that some drugs work better for certain migraines than others, so I take different drugs depending on the symptoms.

Keep experimenting (ask for samples) until you find something that works for you.

I also find that a good chiropractor helps.

Good luck!

--------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.+++
Diagnosed with Lyme in 2005. Suffered for years before that. Still treating/fighting it.
Son diagnosed with Lyme and Babesia in 2007. Son diagnosed with Asperger's in 2011.

Posts: 40 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get menstrual migraines until I stopped eating gluten. Now I only get a migraine if I have accidental gluten exposure.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertlily
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also on Topamax for prevention, and take Imitrex for when I get a migraine. For me, the Topamax hasn't reduced the number, but has greatly reduced the severity, SO worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Topamax is also generic now, it used to be very costly, now it is much more affordable.

--------------------
Susan

Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopesAlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not eat gluten, and I do take magnesium. I have tried SO many things. I was going to let you know that the caffiene sometimes does prevent mine. Stay away from Excedrin migraine: it can cause horrible rebound migraines. Also, the only reason they can call it "migraine," is because it helped a few people who had migraines in one of their studies. It is just aspirin with caffeine. lol

They tried occipital nerve blocks for me, insisting that the migraines were neck involved, even though I tried to stress to them they start in my right eye with the aura, then numbness then PAIN. I had to talk to the director of the entire pain clinic to get that through their heads and get them to stop torturing me with their painful procedures.

That is interesting about the poster who tries different meds according to symptoms.

Sometimes, ice packs help me, and also muscle relaxers for the "ER type of migraine." When I used to get them bad, the worst was mine would go on for DAYS. I hate taking muscle relaxers, but if it kept me out of the ER, I did it. Compazine for the nausea, too, and I would live on soda crackers and water. Now, I would have to have my gluten free crackers, lol.

I know it is not funny, but it is just so crazy how much we all have to go through. I sympathize (sp?)...empathize with anyone who has migraines, because they are also misunderstood and so debilitating. I was diagnosed with classic migraines (aura) and also daily head pain. I used to get horrible ice pick headaches, also.

My father suffered from migraines, my sister and my youngest son, so I know there is a genetic component. My youngest son also was getting clusters during his high school years. Poor guy. Those are the WORST!

I hope you find something that will work well for you. Good luck and my thoughts are with you.

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

~~The Shawshank Redemption~~

Posts: 234 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrinab
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30330

I have tried the prevntative meds (topamax, zonegran, etc) Ive tried Neurontin and Lyrica. Lyrica helped a little but it made me dizzy and gain weight. anyone else have this? I have tried triptans, I ve tried the Butalbitol?/aspirin/caffeine. I think the only thing I havent tried is that new injectable triptan. Anyone tried this? not sure if it would help since the oral triptans didnt.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement