LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Feel better when travel away from home ? Mold? Allergies? Or?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feel better when travel away from home ? Mold? Allergies? Or?
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had to take a couple trips over the past six months to other southwestern states and staying with family in their homes.
I have always felt better each time. To a degree that I have been concerned about my home.

I know Mold is possible but any other ideas from anyone who has had reactions to things in their homes or areas they have found out have affected their health or ability to fully recover.

I am thinking this has been holding me back from my full recovery I have worked so hard one. And if so it must have been holding me down or dragging me downward for years ..I have lived here for 15 years ..

wow.. And got very sick 11 years ago.. a few years after moving into this house.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I will find out for sure in a couple months because I can not afford the house and am upside down and a short sale is in progress...

That is the good news .... I guess?

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our home had deadly mold - stachybotrys - the worst that there is. 234,000 per square meter.

We are all getting better since we moved out. Still a slow process.

I used to feel better on vacations too. Don't ignore this sign!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it will be good news but still so sorry to hear that you are losing your house.

Around the time you got sick had you done any renovations to your house? Lots of nasty chemicals are used in certain flooring products etc..

I talked to the owner of a lab that tests mold who said there are other problems in houses that can make people sick. He mentioned little critters that you can't see (I think he said beetles?), bacteria, viruses etc..

Dust, mold, trapped pesticides etc. in and under the carpet. According to my muscle testing herbalist I was being affected by a virus in the volcanic ash that was under my carpet. All I know is that when we took the carpet out I started itching and it was driving me nuts until she tested and gave me something to help with the virus.

Water - have you had your water checked? Some counties will come to your house and do certain types of testing for free.

Then there is the mold. Check your windows, under sinks, attic, look for water stains etc... Oh, also might want to check drains and bathroom fans. Our fans were full of mold because they were located directly above the shower and bath.

I noticed a big difference in my sleep after we had the carpet removed.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have mcs (multiple chemical sensitvity? If so it could be anything in your home. paint,carpets,furniture... cleaner if you have a feul (like oil/gas)... anything.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring,

with mold you would get sick pretty soon - tired, infections, headache.... Years later is unusual. But maybe your system could deal with the mold for some time and then crashed. Or the mold was not so bad in the beginning and then got worse over the years.

Whatever, I am sure you have mold and if you are sick you best move - but you have to disclose it when selling.
If you are so sick as you are you also will not be able to live in a remediated house.

For testing get information by posting
[email protected].

To make it short: you have to move asap - your health is at risk. I was almost dead after three years in mold.

MCS would not make your symptoms and you would know when you have it and could not travel.

Ever took cholestyramine as mold binder?

Dr. S now offers his mold testings and you can have it in any lab - affordable.
In Az there is a Dr.- pm me if interested.

Some test show mold like VEGF or.... and that would give you some information.

So the short sale is good for your health and take care that you rent something and always can move when you find mold or are not feeling well.
If you can prove mold as a tenant you can leave immediately ( get informed).
Do not take things from the mold house in the new condo.
Wish you a great time, you will feel so much better. I am happy you found the reason , finally.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by karenl:
Spring,

with mold you would get sick pretty soon - tired, infections, headache.... Years later is unusual. But maybe your system could deal with the mold for some time and then crashed. Or the mold was not so bad in the beginning and then got worse over the years.

I have to disagree with this. We lived in our home for 4 years, with no idea that the reason everyone was sooooo sick was the invisible, odorless mold.

My son was the sickest. He was diagnosed with lyme, bartonella, babesia, mycoplasma pneumonia, HHV6, sky high strep titers, heavy metals (mercury & lead), KPU. His symptoms were so bad that he missed the entire year of 6th grade.

My husband was having heart problems that sent us to the ER twice. They found nothing wrong with his heart.

My daughter has allergies, trouble breathing and toward the end of our living in that house she started having nose bleeds.

My period stopped. I had surgery for a ovarian cyst... My gallbladder was taken out, I was diagnosed with sphincter of oddi.

I was losing my cognitive ability, becoming dyslexic and having trouble doing and remembering things that used to come easily.

Looking back, many of these things were related to the mold. Mold ruins your immune system and makes you vulnerable to other infections.

It grows in your system and causes problems which most doctors will not recognize as mold-related.

It is only moving out and having symptoms disappear that is opening my eyes to the extent of the mold issue we really had in that house.

I found this last night and kept it open for my family to read. I believe it explains how serious mold (especially stachybotrys) can be.

An Experts' Opinion On Remediation

After seeing 4000 patients with Stachybotrys, I can tell you most objects cannot be cleaned, if the patients are exposed to there contaminated household object/fomites, they continue to be ill, and there levels continue to increase. There are many good articles showing that mycotoxins and spores are not one and the same (e.g. look up Stachybotrys on PubMed to MedLine). Either one can be separate or they may coexist. Cleaning off the superficial spores does not remove the absorbed mycotoxins. Blowing Stachy spores through a Hepafilter kills Boar sperm on the other side, etc. We have documented many cases of mycotoxicosis when the Stachy spore counts are zero, but the mycotoxins are high. Our general rule, which we have seen clinically many times over, is that there are enough mycotoxins in one piece of contaminated paper, to make someone sick for three days. Yellow rain, for example, has no spores, but one drop absorbed through the skin can be very serious.

Remember that it's not the spores that cause the illness (other than allergy and infection). The spores in mycotoxicosis are used as an indicator that there is the potential for a problem. Outdoor spores are not a usual cause of toxicity, (except for allergies and infection), but when growing inside, molds produce toxins, which are in much higher concentration and can cause illness. Indoor mold spores indicate mold growth, which indicates mycotoxin production. Currently, we can measure spores, identify spores, but it is difficult to measure mycotoxins. This is because of the number (e.g. Stachy produces at least 170 known mycotoxins, and probably more that have not been identified. This is very expensive to measure, and the difficulty doing the tests to date. There are labs working on testing methods that will be commercially available for a reasonable cost. Like you say the problem can become worse when the mold dries. The mold dries and the mycotoxins production increases with Stachy up to 40,000 times.

The website is made with flash so there is no direct link. This is the page.
http://www.themoldsource.com/starter.html

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thought.... were you consuming anything different when you were away?

Did you stop taking any meds/supplements? or stop eating anything or drink different water?

Also inhalant allergies may be something to consider ? less dust, dustmites, different kind of air conditoning? different plants around? less pollen?

Also could you be sensitive to weather changes? some places hotter more humid etc?

Were you away from a particular individual that had some offensive "thing" like maybe smoke on them?

Another thing to consider... you were away from products you or your neighbor use outside(pesticides,herbacides etc). I dont know how close you live to your neighbor but things they do could have an effect if it is within your "senstivity range".

Just some things I myself have been considering trying to figure this all out. I hope you figure out what is making you sicker so you can try to avoid it in the future.

Oh and I just wantted to add. just because something wasnt making you sick yesturday doesnt mean it cant be making you sick today. Unfortunately my senstivity list has grown to include what seems to be just about everything.(i am homebound, without visitors, in a fragrance free house with air purifiers constanly running. but that wasnt always the case. I believe something in me changed and my tolerance threshhold was lowered. I definetely have yeast and i think i have leaky gut (and probaly a bunch of other issues which is trying to be figured out and addressed now)

I did not know there was treatment for mcs until things were this bad. If you think you have mcs you may want to see an environmental illness dr. I wish someone would have told me they existed 3 years ago when my mcs started (i already had to live my life around it at that point... it kinda started with a bang)

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can you test your house for Mold?

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

I do not see how we can know for sure what is going on or if it is mold or not mold or this or that.

I have asked around about testing and it just seems to vague non specific and even visual inspections by people who have experience say they can just look around and tell me.

I dont know if i feel like paying money for someone to look around or even do these various tests that seem to then be what is a mixture of results that need further testing to determine the kind of mold and it goes on and on..

and I wonder if you ever really know if that is what your reacting to anyway.. it is frustrating .. if you ask me..

And I do agree I do not think i have Chemical Sensitivities. But who knows. Could be to something specific that is in and around my home and I am not exposed to other places I go or have been.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had my Select Comfort bed that was full of mold, I felt better away from home. Fortunately for me, we found the mild, so knew it was mold.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. The whole mold testing process seems impossible. All you get are vague comments from companies and zero assurances. You can chase your tail forever. Same with TBIs. This is an endless maze sadly I'm discovering. No end.

quote:
Originally posted by springshowers:
I do not see how we can know for sure what is going on or if it is mold or not mold or this or that.

I have asked around about testing and it just seems to vague non specific and even visual inspections by people who have experience say they can just look around and tell me.

I dont know if i feel like paying money for someone to look around or even do these various tests that seem to then be what is a mixture of results that need further testing to determine the kind of mold and it goes on and on..

and I wonder if you ever really know if that is what your reacting to anyway.. it is frustrating .. if you ask me..

And I do agree I do not think i have Chemical Sensitivities. But who knows. Could be to something specific that is in and around my home and I am not exposed to other places I go or have been.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Here is a site where you can buy home test kits.

I think the air test is the best because it shows what you are actually breathing.

http://www.homemoldtestkit.com

I have not used them yet. I am researching for retesting after remediation.

--------------------
May health be with you!

klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do have a mold problem that was visible. We just removed the source, but may still have mold in the air.

However, years before this mold problem, when I remarked that I felt noticeably better while visiting friends for 3 days, my husband pointed out that I was relaxing, not doing constant business paperwork for him, answering a phone that rings all day with his clients calling and telemarketers, cleaning house, doing laundry, cooking, washing dishes, taking care of a sick cat I am allergic to, handling mail and paying bills, caring for my garden, and forcing myself to do half an hour of exercises daily, packing his lunches, etc.

I was actually resting and enjoying myself, instead of being forced to expend every ounce of my limited energy on chores I must do because there is nobody else to do them. That could have made all the difference.

klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Here is another home test option:

(I shortened it at bit.ly - it goes to lowes.com)
http://bit.ly/mM30gm

It's called First Alert Mold Test Kit

Anyone try it?

--------------------
May health be with you!

Indy
Member # 31913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, i did use it in my home in Fl. It was one that you could use the vent with the fan on to collect the air & then let it grow for a day(or2) & I had white mold.

its been 2yrs since I used it but I think it was ok for the $ and the lack of non-vague inexpenceive testing.

--------------------
"Real power is usually unspectacular, a simple setting aside of fear that allows the free flow of love. But it changes everything" -MBeck

Posts: 11 | From Florida/Western Pa. | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
astrocartography. might sound "crazy" but you might be surprised.

if you are interested, pm me.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring,

how long will you be in this house, couple of months is a lot. Could you move sooner and speed up the short sale? Chemical sensitivities are totally different, you would be homebound and not travelling.

After you are finally out of the house and not reinfectiong your new home with the mold(!)
you still will need months to recover and to be able to work.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Hi

Yes looking for some other options to stay in even as more testing as I never have tested how I feel in the same state but out of the house.. So I though have to find something I can afford as a hotel or such is too much.. Working on it.

I am trying to force myself when I can to get out of the house and go to th store or library or whatever and try to be out of the house on the hours I can handle being up and around more.. which luckily I have made so much progress from a couple years ago when i was much more bed ridden.

I am sure it is true it will take time to get out of my system if this is the issue but the times I went away it was within the week I started to get up in the am and feel different . Quit different.
I am even trying to still believe it. Its like though since back home the memory starts fading or I feel like maybe it was a fluke or I was just not doing as much as stated above. But that is not true. There was as much to do and when there is company or others in the same house usually I am more stressed. .. So I think that less stress is not accurate and that is not the reason here.

I mean I can feel a different in my blood. I swear. I walk around in my house shaking my arms and legs as I feel blood poisoned and I do not feel that at all when i was away the last few times.
And at home I wake up and I take a long time to shake off that feeling or get up and able to walk around freely and able to feel like I want to get up for the day at all as opposed to waking up and looking around in disbelief that I feel fine to get up for the day.. I even had overdone it a couple days and took a road trip with family and when i got back . I though I would be crashed out for at least a day or more. but i was extra tired and though I would crash and laid down for a couple hours and got back up. Never would this happen at home.. I always know when i over do it and I know what happens. And I was able to recover so fast..

I just guess I do not care why.. I got to do some more testing around my same area and see if this happens again and in the same state and town.. That is my next test.

It only takes a week or so to know in a new place.. So I will find something soon... and maybe this may be a problem for others who are not aware.. But I am not saying it is for me for sure or that I know why. I just noticed this this year as I got better and well enough to do traveling and visiting family and such.. I had to go as well because my mother was so very sick and she was critically ill. I forced it upon myself at first. Maybe that time there which was 3 weeks at at time for 3 months. Maybe that helped me in total and maybe helping me figure this out.

I have all my stuff in storage and will be getting rid of it all an starting new.. So I will not take anything with me in case it is something like mold. I mean who knows and would rather be safe than sorry and I am thrilled to start over anyway.. Who needs Things anyway.

I will just get a new bed.. and hey. I have living with one bowl and a spoon knife and fork for a long time now. I do not mind it at all..

Well Thanks for the ideas.. I had done one of those home tests before and the inside did have more than the outside but the outside sure had a lot.. and the inside only .. from what I could see to my eye about 10 to 15 more. and it was too hard to see a big difference.. So I figured. Well.. Not enough to be conclusive. I wonder what other people get as results on those home test dishes that make you compare an outside to inside result?

Anyone?

springshowers
Member # 19863

Nevermind. I just read the other mold thread started asking about what kind of mold test they would recommend.. and got some answers there.
springshowers
Member # 19863

Test Day one. Did not stay in my house last night. I am up at 7am and feeling good. Amazing. Will continue this week and see how it goes.
momlyme
Member # 27775

Where are you staying, spring?

--------------------
May health be with you!

jedidano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jedidano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started having allergy issues upon moving to North Carolina. They began once I checked into my motel (my apartment wasn't ready yet). They continued when I did move into my apartment.

This is the allergy belt. I do much better when by the ocean. I suppose that I could move to the coast of NC, but I don't really want to.....at least right now. I also don't think that I could handle the stress of the move, with everything that is going on with my illness, or related to it.

On the other, it is possible that if I get down there, and endure stressful times for a little while, an abatement of allergy symptoms might help get better, and end *all* of this (allowing me to move back, if I wish).

The most frustrating part of all of this is not knowing if this will work. I think that it will, though, so my gut tells me to do it, even if it is difficult and stressful emotionally.

One question I have is about mold. I wonder if mold can be rampantly found in the outdoors. I believe that it can, but if anyone has any definitive information about this, I would be interested in hearing it.

Thanks very much all.... :-)

Posts: 116 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Outdoor mold--not an issue. Outdoor mold has enemies and is less likely to grow in abundance. Indoor mold has no enemies and is very comfortable living in your home.

It's the quality of the indoor air that should be your concern, unless of course you live in a big city where the outside air is very polluted.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

I am so glad to not be in my old house. I have felt improvements in areas that i was stuck working on for over a decade and now after a couple months are gone!

I was a burden on me 100 percent for sure.

I am not sure if it was mold or some other environmental indoor issue but I know that it is gone for me!!

So happy!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement