LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anybody heard of "accufloral" probiotic??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody heard of "accufloral" probiotic??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
costco sells online a product called accufloral. it's supposed to be super.

i'm paying alot for theralac, vsl3, critical care and florastat.

this accufloral has 120 capsules for about 15 bucks.

know anything??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds too cheap!! I would worry!

How many CFU's per capsule? (I'd bet on 5)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Below is the link and the real poop, oooops info on the product. [lol]

The top rated for effectiveness is beneprobiotics and you get it on amazon for 30 dollars 90 caps 18b cfu per capsule.

This link compares all of the probiotics on one page:
http://kaiserprobiotics.org/compare-probiotics/

This link gives you details on accuflora and I also quote the entire article:

http://kaiserprobiotics.org/probiotic-reviews/accuflora-probiotic-acidophilus-review/

quote:
What is Accuflora Probiotic Acidophilus?
Accuflora Probiotic Acidophilus is a probiotic supplement that contains 1 billion cells of 5 strains enclosed in 2 caplets.

Does it Work?
The caplet does help to protect the active probiotic strains from digestive juices so that more of the probiotic bacteria make it into the colon. Unfortunately, the dosage is quite low at 1 billion cells for 5 strains in 2 caplets. Also, there is no prebiotic for the probiotics to establish themselves in the gastrointestinal tract.

Is it Safe?
Accuflora Probiotic Acidophilus have no dyes, artificial ingredients, or dangerous ingredients we are aware of.

Conclusion:
2.5 stars out of 5. Accuflora Probiotic Acidophilus is better than other single-strain probiotic supplements.

Kaiser Probiotics Institute Ingredient Analysis:
Criteria Our Comments
Oligofructose Prebiotics Prebiotics provide probiotics with the food they need to divide and multiply. Without a food source, probiotics will not establish themselves in your GI. Oligosaccharides nourish the probiotics on the right side of the colon.
Inulin Prebiotics Inulin prebiotics nourish probiotic organisms on the left side of the colon because they take longer to ferment.
Number of Probiotic Strains There are thousands of different kinds of organisms living in your colon. Some probiotic organisms are more helpful that others.Every probiotic supplement should have S. boulardii and L. acidophillus. A good probiotic supplement will have more probiotic strains. Accuflora has 2 and does not have S. boulardii.
Number of CFUs The higher the CFU count the better. A higher CFU means more organisms can be delivered to the gut. Accuflora only has 1 billion CFUs in 2 caplets.
Protection from Digestive Juices Digestive juices will destroy many probiotic organisms. An enteric coating or delayed-release system that releases probiotics in the colon helps keep them alive. Accuflora has a protective caplet.
No artificial coloring or dyes Artificial dyes and coloring are known to promote hyperactivity (Red #5) and/or cause cancer (titanium dioxide).

Accuflora Probiotic Acidophilus Ingredients
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 2 Caplets
Amount Per Serving %Daily Value
Proprietary Probiotic Blend (Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, L. salivarius, and S. thermophilus) 1 billion CFU *

Other Ingredients: Cellulose, Pectin, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Silica, Stearic Acid and Turmeric.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you bought 4 bottles of accuflora and took them all in one day it would equate to the cfu of two vsl#3 caplets. However we put way too much stock in cfu counts, its a matter of how many effective organisms get to the digestive tract. You can take 450b cfu count a day, but if 95% die in the stomach or duodenum what did you really get for you money.

The cheapest probiotics, cultured foods, cause you gotta eat anyways.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post, Bob! Thanks
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"1 billion cells"

[lol] [lol]

What a laugh. I over-predicted at 5 bil!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

lyme22 -- you are one of the most generous people i know... [bow]

No probs James -- the interesting thing about the site is the review on vsl#3. i'm guessing you could maximize the effect of vsl#3 by taking it with a small amount of yogurt especially stoneyfields which has quite a bit of inulin a prebiotic. About 10 minutes later drink an 8 oz glass of warm water or tea with some honey also as an aid to the probiotic.

You want to take a probiotic away from meals so it can get past the stomach. Second the warm water or tea would push the probiotic deeper into the digestive tract. There is nothing to digest with tea and water so it should move quickly into the intestines. As the capsules break apart it should help the probiotic colonize and feed it quickly.

Just a thought.

--------------------
Bob

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear - I'm sure you already know this, but I have to ask because I had this problem: Do you have a yeast problem at this time? If so, any probiotics, yogurt etc. will feed the yeast and no good colonization will take place. You must kill the yeast first. I've been in a battle with this for years.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Yogurt has a bad rap because of all the sugary varieties. Plain yogurt, fully cultured shouldn't be an issue, good bacteria will absorb the lactase faster then the yeast can get to it. I think you should have yogurt in moderate amounts daily. One, because it will help heal the gut wall and support existing strains of good bacteria. And good bacteria is a defense against yeast and other pathogens.

--------------------
Bob

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ping - if your probotics are causing yeast... did you check to see if there is ANY kind of sugar in them. some do have some form of sugar as an ingredient.

i am not so sure my yeast could tolerate yogurt (even plain) at this time either. although the kind i probaly used to eat probaly isnt the quality that lymie in md is talking about.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymie_in_md:
Yogurt has a bad rap because of all the sugary varieties. Plain yogurt, fully cultured shouldn't be an issue, good bacteria will absorb the lactase faster then the yeast can get to it. I think you should have yogurt in moderate amounts daily. One, because it will help heal the gut wall and support existing strains of good bacteria. And good bacteria is a defense against yeast and other pathogens.

I've read so many things that say not to eat yogurt of any kind, even plain, because of sugar. I love plain yogurt with some stevia, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts mixed it. I would like to be able to eat it!

Greek (full fat & plain) greek yogurt (the variety that I was eating before) has only 7 grams of sugar for a whole cup. I guess maybe that's too much, but I didn't think it was too bad (?). Oh well. I've given up yogurt for the time being. [Frown]

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Our bodies actually need some sugar (surprise surprise), the vegetables we eat have sugar in them, beets, carrots are some of the high sugar'd varieties. Sugar is produced by all living organisms to create energy. To say not to have any sugar is crazy. There is no such thing. It is what sugars you can eat and what sugars you can't. If you eat a vegetable it protects its sugar from yeast, it naturally does this in nature just like healthy people.

Yogurt versus pasteurized milk, yogurt has cultures to transform lactose to lactase, two very different kinds of sugar.

I believe our good bacterial counts get so low to where the lactose isn't digested. This undigested sugar feeds yeast. In yogurt it is predigested into lactase, a form of sugar our body's can use immediately. So fully cultured yogurts contain sugars, but the sugar isn't the same, and is far lessly likely to by used by yeast.

So when the container says 7 grams of sugar it not so simple. Its what kind of sugar and how much. By the way, if we don't get any sugar, dehydration sets in. When someone is severely dehydrated they get a glucose solution.

Check out the following link:

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1002.html

So have some great plain yogurt -- add some vanilla extract and stevia -- a bit of cinnamon -- I liked powdered cloves too.

If you enjoy it, it might be important to allow it. Enjoyment is part of the healing process.

I'm at grips between killing organisms versus healing the body and spirit. Can you do one without the other -- considering long term health?

--------------------
Bob

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unfortunately i'm not treating yeast because of the pancreas problem. that and can't get a doc to give me diflucan.

i'm going to make sure this guy thinks i have yeast at the next appt.

i wish there was something really good over the counter that you can take and treat lyme at the same time.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Bob. I agree with you, we need some enjoyment. The strict anit-yeast diet really gets me down a lot--I am a foodie and love to eat good food & drink good wine. Or at least I used to.

I feel that there is not much left to enjoy when this diet is followed so closely, as practically everything except meat/eggs & veggies is not "allowed." Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of those things, just not eating them exclusively. It's very difficult for me. It's even harder to follow it so closely at all times when I have not felt a huge difference as a result.

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

If we look at our family tree and what they ate, I'm sure dairy was in it. We're adaptive to what 3 to 5 generations ate (closest prior having the most influence). So to completely go off dairy might not be prudent. So, I'm logically going to buck the tide and say some dairy in the form of yogurt or yogurt cheese is ok. It becomes a treat. I eat amish yogurt cheese -- cultured of course and it is great! If your taking ABX it might be important for the enzymes the bacteria create in different foods when supplementing with probiotics (probiotics we're taking aren't exactly natural).

We look at the container and it has 100b cfu's a whopping big number. There is no guarentee any one of those cfu's are doing any good. It just isn't that simple. If you look at the studies on microbiota it doesn't take much for a good guys to be bad guy (dna switheru). Good stay good because of the environment there in. Many thing contribute to that environment such as PH, other entrenched organism, what we eat to what our bodies need, and DNA of the organism that are entrenched. This DNA can change a good guy to a bad guy.

Personally, I believe in food based probiotics because it helps to redefine our internal terrain as it is populating our digestive tract. And if you're on ABX then using food based probiotics with pill based might be an even better alternative.

Just giving my opinion...

skies I give you my approval to enjoy a cup of plain unsweetened yogurt with some stevia and herbs. All you need now is to give yourself that approval. Post here the recipe of that tasty concoction and have a great time with it. [Smile]

--------------------
Bob

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while i was searching for a probiotic with reuteri that my chemical and food sensitive self could tolerate, i came across this product (i have never used it so I can attest to how it works but it is a signifigant amoumt and multistrain... and CHEAP)

i found it at www.swanson.com

Have you tried Lee Swanson Signature Line Ultimate Probiotic Formula?
SWL008 � 30 Veg Caps

Helps keep the intestinal tract healthy and the immune system strong

Over 66 billion organisms per capsule

With prebiotic FOS to help multiply "friendly" bacteria

Overall Rating: (98) Read all reviews

$14.99 they are b1g1 right now

[ 07-08-2011, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: AZURE WISH ]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Azure, my probiotics aren't causing yeast.

lymie_in_md, I completely disagree with you. Yogurt gets a bad rap when the person already has yeast because it deserves the bad rap. No mistake about it, if the person has yeast and eats yogurt or any milk product for that matter, the yeast gets fed first. Milk products are the fungi 'perfect food'. I like your link to probiotics info. Have heard of Benebiotics and will give it a try.

randibear, there are many items out there to assist you with fighting yeast, from oils to special blend microsilicas. I haven't tried any of them and am fortunate enough to have Fluconazole (Diflucan generic) on hand. I've been off abx for years now and still have yeast problems if I eat something with too much sugar.

The Founder of World Health Mall is a big 'anti-yeast/fungus' guy and I'm beginning to believe what he says about these infections. Once you have fungal infections, you'll likely be fighting them off and on for the rest of your life. Sad but true. Check out his site and give him a call to discuss. (I've spoken with him a few times.) Be sure you don't do anything to irritate your pancreas! I know WHM has developed a product called 'Gut Health' and also a microsilica, infused with vinegar and sugar in order to attract the yeast and destroy them. You must be on a very strict sugar/carb free diet for this to work, so I'm told. Once you've gotten yeast under control, you might be able to incorporate various foods back into your diet. Anyway, give Jim a call and ask.

www.worldhealthmall.com

Best to you, randi. It's awful, I know.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement