LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chronic Lyme Disease/Shingles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chronic Lyme Disease/Shingles
SD71
Member # 33385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SD71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 15 y.o. was diagnosed and treated for Lyme Disease in 12/09. At that time he had 9 of 10 markers and had it in is spinal fluid. Since then, when he gets sick his joints swell. He also has an eye tick and now was just diagnosed with shingles, which is uncommon in children. I'm wondering if these could be related to lingering Lyme Disease? His doctor says no, but I can't help but wonder.
Posts: 2 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he hasn't been treated for parasites, it might be a very good idea to do a search on here.

Parasites/worms can be considered a co-infection and is often overlooked even by LLMDs. Testing is not reliable.

If you give him some antiparasitic herbs and he starts herxing that could be a good indication he has them. Thirty days is not enough either. Longer tx is required.

Google parasite symptoms for more insight. Treating parasites saved my life.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P. S.

Turned out my shingles were really activated by a parasitic infection and went away when I tx the shingles with antiparasitics.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very likely he was inadequately treated for Lyme disease. How many months or years was he treated? My guess: His immune system is now suppressed and that enabled the shingles to take hold.

get him evaluated by an LLMD right away!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is he getting treated for the shingles? If not and if he has lingering symptoms getting some treatment may be helpful.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
one4islands
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for one4islands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lyme dr. said both of the drs. teens had Lyme and both got shingles as well.

I get this incredible burning sensation on various areas of my body which I describe as shingles pain.

The dr. told me it is quite possible that my pain is shingles that have not come out in full force.

Posts: 412 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People get shingles when their immune system is weak. Lyme weakens the immune system.

So, in that way they are related. It is all an indication that his immune system is not as strong as it should be.

If he would do one hour of weight lifting every other day, that would boost his immunune system. This is in the Burrascano Guidelines. See page 31 and following.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

And, I proved it to myself twice--once when I had lyme (6 years ago), and recently when I evidently weakened my immune system using Nasonex nasal spray for 3 continuous months.

I advise everyone not to use Nasonex. If you read about it online it will tell you it can weaken your immune system and not to go around people with measles if you are on it, etc.

So, perhaps he can take vitamin C and do other things to help boost his immune system also. Perhaps raw garlic or kyolic. My lyme doc wanted me to eat that twice per day. Perhaps CoQ10.

And, be sure he isn't using Nasonex or any other type of steroid or any other med that might weaken the immune system. Plus, absolutely no alcohol and no smoking.

The weight lifting is the best, though. A full body workout for 1 hour. Lots of reps using light weights. And, being a boy, he will like it when he sees his muscles developing from this exercise.

As Burrascano says, no aerobic exercise. It depresses the immune system too long. So, if he is doing anything aerobic, I would advise him to stop.

A strong immune system is the best insurance against a lyme disease relapse.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the family of Herpes viruses:

Human Herpes Virus I: Cold sores in/on mouth area.
Human Herpes Virus II: Genital Herpes
Human Herpes Virus III: Chicken Pox in children and Varicella zoster virus, a.k.a. shingles in adults.
Human Herpes Virus IV: Epstein-Barr Virus
Human Herpes Virus V: Cytomegalovirus
Human Herpes Virus VI: Roseolovirus Betaherpesviridae 6
Human Herpes Virus VII: Roseolovirus Betaherpesviridae 7
Human Herpes Virus VIII: Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus

Most people contract several herpes viruses at a young age and their immune system fights them. When they get older, or when they get Lyme, the immmune system is suppressed, therefore it does not fight the herpes viruses as effectively as it did in the past.

Anyone who has shingles likely had chicken pox earlier in life and then when the immune deficiency occurs, the shingles show up.

Once a person gets rid of the toxins, metals, parasites, cleans up the gut, and get's the immune system back in shape, and gets rid of Lyme, the immune system will put the viruses back into remission on its own.

Some even contend that if the body is detoxed, the gut healed, the parasites gone, the immune system can get rid of Lyme and co's all by itself in addition to the viruses.

But back to the main point, the shingles showing up is due to a suppressed immune system.

I took antivirals for a long time because a doctor told me I had HHV-4. I took the antivirals and felt a lot better.

BUT, I think the reason I felt better was that the antivirals, in addition to suppressing viruses, ALSO drove the Lyme into cyst form, just the way abx do. Then when I came off of the antivirals, the borrelia then came out of cyst form in multiples I felt worse than I did originally.

So now, I'm taking natural antivirals while rifing for the borrelia. It's working pretty well thus far.

For the viruses, now I'm taking a product called Virasyl along with Lauricidin. I'm going to rotate Lomatium with the Lauricidin.

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reinforcement, TF!

Now.. where is SD71??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement