LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does your pharmacy need to know WHAT you're treating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does your pharmacy need to know WHAT you're treating?
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 5 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question... does your pharmacy need to know what you're treating? I have this feeling that eventually the pharmacist is going to ask. I want to know if I can just say it's none of their business. Well... in a nice way.

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope they don't need to know... they can ask but it doesn't mean you have to answer them. And if you are uncomfortable you can go to many different pharmacies.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOPE!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. They are not the doctor and cannot refuse to give you drugs if you have a valid prescription.

However...They MAY question the prescription if they feel the dose is too high. I've had this happen a few times, particularly with Malarone. They standard dose for Malaria is 1 pill / day. My Rx is for 6 pills / day. Believe it or not, Dr's do make mistakes so the Pharmacist may opt to contact the Dr. to verify the dosage.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would decline to answer if they asked, its none of their business, and I would think it was rude, if not unprofessional if they even asked.
Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was on ABX my pharm. commented that the only thing he knew of that was treated with so many ABX was ..... LYME. So he guessed!
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladycakes
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladycakes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had a pharmacist ask, because of the dosage. He was super polite about it, though, and was just concerned that the doctor had written down the dosage wrong.
Posts: 306 | From Brownsville, PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I was bedridden in the beginning of my treatment, it was my husband that was always picking up my medications.

I know that he too had been asked by the pharmacist about a few years in as to the reasoning behind all these meds. From my understanding, my husband DID tell him.... but more because we have been on the "awareness campaigne" for this disease.

The pharmacist has been extremely good about it and compassionate to the point of always asking how I'm doing when he picked up more meds and has even been saying that he's finding a lot of patients are getting infected in this area.

Yes, WE already knew it was everywhere, but it sounds like this pharmacist really was opened to wanting to learn and at no time has he ever made my husband feel guilty about all these meds. More that he's just trying to see if they were really actually helping, which they definitely have.

So although it may not be any of their business, if you seem to have a good repoir with the pharmacist, it may be an opportunity to let them know more about this horrid disease.

Just trying to look from the other side of the glass. But no one HAS to explain EVER.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago when I began picking up perscritions, I had asked pharacist a question about lyme as I rememember it now.

He was a symathetic person and as I walked away, his assistant who was listening asked him quietly if there was no cure.

As i was walking out the door I could hear him say to her sadly, no.

It's made me less fearful showing up there so frequently. Other staff there haven given me no trouble either.

Hope it continues.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of their business!!

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the extreme other side...

There are some pharmacists who refuse to fill the prescriptions and they have quoted the Idiots who wrote the IDSA guidelines when doing so.

For example, people with Medco insurance, please be aware they are one of the ones on the warpath and can get horribly nasty about it. BUT...

Don't give up! Go to your insurance commissioner and your Attorney General if you are denied. Don't let your disease get more advanced because of the STUPID people out there.

Let your LLMD know about it so they can contact those working to fix this situation.

Otay?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pharmacist got a little closer to outright asking what I'm being treated for. This time she said "So, how's your treatment going?" Luckily my brain was working and I said "Oh, as expected, I guess." without elaboration of any kind.

Usually, I just start jabbering away about everything that pops into my head. I'm glad I had a zip on it at that moment. heh

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No and trust me I've ran in to many pharmacist that like to believe they're doctors and will question you on everything. You don't need to tell them anything
Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacists knew what I was treating and were VERY supportive. It was not the first pharmacy I went to ....

When I came back from Germany and needed a thyroid refill, they were so happy for me that I looked so much healthier. I still get thyroid and once in a while, the old timers who are still there will ask how I'm doing and joke about how I don't need them anymore.

It was nice having them on my side, but I can understand the apprehension of telling them what you're treating.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scarin' me now tincup. I have Medco. So far`they have not given me any trouble but..........

Next Jan we are switching RX insurers. I can only hope they don't give me any grief.

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement