LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Iodine Information Thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Iodine Information Thread
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 2 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope nobody minds, but I will post any useful and interesting info that I find while I'm reading the "Iodine: Why you need it and why you can't live without it" book by Dr. Brownstein.

There are a few recent threads about iodine, and I didn't know which thread to post info to, so that's why I created this one.

Here's the first quote:
quote:
To quote Nobel Laureate Albert Szent-Gyorgyi: "When I was a medical student, iodine in the form of KI was the universal medicine. Nobody knew what it did, but it did something good. We students use to sum up the situation in this little rhyme... 'If ye don't know where, what, and why; prescribe ye then K and I.'"

Here's a little known fact: Iodine supplements are effective as a heavy metal detox. When people take iodine supplements, there are measurable increases of fluoride, bromide, lead, and mercury in their urine.

Therapeutic actions include: Antibacterial, anticancer, antiparasitic, antiviral, mucolytic agent, elevates pH.

Conditions treated with Iodine include: ADD/ADHD, atherosclerosis, breast diseases, Dupuytren�s contracture, excess mucous production, fatigue, fibrocystic breasts, goiter, hemorrhoids, headaches and migraines (including menstrual migraines), hypertension, infections, keloids, liver diseases, nephrotic syndrome, ovarian disease, parotid duct stones, Peyronie�s disease, prostate disorders, sebaceous cysts, thyroid disorders, vaginal infections.

Iodine was the first "western" medicine:
The first medical use of iodine was reported by Jean Francois Coindet (1774-1834), who showed that goiter (i.e., swelling of the thyroid) could be treated with iodine. The use of iodine in treating goiter was the first time that a single item (iodine) was used to treat a specific illness (goiter). Some cite this discovery as the birth of western medicine.

James' note: Has anyone here, who has goiter, been suggested by their doctors to take iodine? I sure wasn't. It's funny that they knew over 200 years ago that iodine cures goiter, but doctors don't know it today.

Iodine cured goiter in Michigan/Ohio in the early 1900's
In the early 1900's there was a high prevalence of goiter in the states bordering the Great Lakes. Due to the earlier work of Boussingault and Coindet, it was hypothesized that adding iodine to the diet of people in the Great Lakes area would decrease the incidence of goiter. In 1923-1924, the State of Michigan's Department of Health conducted a large-scale survey of goiter in four counties. Of 66,000 school children examined, nearly 40% had enlargement of the thyroid gland (i.e., goiter). In 1924, iodized salt was introduced to the area. By 1928, there was a 75% reduction of goiter observed and by 1951, less than 0.5% of school-age children had goiter.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James I like your idea, very important.
I like Lugol's.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dr. K. says that ALL chronic lyme patients are iodine defficient.

A good way to know is to rub Iodoral on your skin. The mark should be there 24 hours later. If not, you are defficient!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Europe, all farmers know about the relation about lack of iode and goiter!!!
Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby-do
Member # 25440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby-do     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Lugol's 5% solution 2 drops day for about l 1/2 years ....then recently put some iodine tincture on my abdomen 2" square and within 2-3 hrs it was gone so upped my Lugols to 4 drops a day....

4 drops 5% = 25 mg.of Iodine. Didn't want to increase too high as I take T3 and worry about getting hyper thyroid.

Also supposed to be taking levothyroxine but it makes me too jittery and raises tsh too high.

Been a balancing act trying to regulate my thyroid.

PS; My Doc did not recommend the Iodine she doesn't believe in it.

--------------------
I am not a Doctor and I never played one on TV, I'm just a lab rat with Lyme trying to rid myself of this horrible disease.

Posts: 88 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
96% of Americans are iodine deficient:
Dr. Brownstein et. al tested over 5,000 patients for iodine levels, and found that 96% of them are deficient. The 2 biggest labs that do the urine-iodine tests have tested over 30,000 people, and they also report iodine deficiencies in over 95% of the population.

James' notes: If over 95% of us are probably iodine deficient, then I don't see any reason why we should take a test before supplementing with iodine. I would also assume that those of us with chronic illnesses and/or thyroid problems have a MUCH higher chance of being deficient. I'm sure Dr. K would agree with that, since he says that iodine is the single most important supplement for Lyme patients.

Fluoridated and chlorinated city water worsens iodine deficiencies:
If any of you are drinking city water that has been fluoridated or chlorinated, you have a much higher chance of having iodine-deficiency problems. Fluoride, chlorine, and bromide all bind to the same receptor cells that iodine binds to, so they make it more difficult for the body to absorb iodine.

Also, fluoride in toothpastes gets absorbed through the mouth. Personally, I use toothpastes that don't contain fluoride.

Iodine reduces risk of breast cancer, shrinks tumors, nodules, and cysts
Here's an example: Joan, a 60-year-old English teacher, received a diagnosis of breast cancer in 1989. She refused conventional therapy and looked for other options. She found a holistic doctor who recommended that she take 2 mg/day of iodine in addition to a regimen of vitamins and minerals.
Over the next 10 years, she felt well and continued to teach. Unfortunately, the tumor metastasized in 2005. Joan's tumor markers increased and she felt very fatigued. She lost 25 pounds. "I felt like I was dying," she said.
After finding out more information about iodine, she got a prescription for it in a more effective, higher-dose form. After only six weeks of taking the higher iodine dose, Joan's PET scan showed that all of the existing tumors were disintegrating, particularly in their central areas. "I am so grateful for this information as it is surely saving my life" Joan remarked.

More info about iodine and breast cancer here: http://www.herbalmd.com/?p=2646

For those with fibrocystic breast disease: Dr. B says: "Usually, the improvement in fibrocystic symtpoms occurs rapidly when there is an iodine-deficient state present." He gave a case example of a woman who was suffering so much from painful cysts that she was considering a mastectomy, but her pain disappeared after just 2 weeks of iodine supplementation.

tricia386
Member # 29623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tricia386     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about Hashimotos! ugh I dont know what to do!?

--------------------
Lyme activated in April 2010 by gardasil vaccine.
DX: Lyme,Babs,Myco,Bart 11/10
Treatment Started: 3/28/11

Posts: 1752 | From Albany, NY | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Tricia - from my previous readings, I know that Dr. B. says that Hashimoto's is also caused by iodine deficiency, and that he suggests supplementation for Hashimoto's as well. Some people end up lowering their thyroid meds after starting iodine, because the iodine helps the thyroid create the proper hormones.

I'll be sure to post here any info about Hashimoto's that I find in the book.

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greeaaat, one more thing to worry about.

What is Lugol's?

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jackie51:
Greeaaat, one more thing to worry about.

What is Lugol's?

This is Lugol's Iodine 2%:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AEFM9Y/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1317140898&sr=8-1

But I recommend a bottle with a dropper, because it's easier to administer, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004S8EBYG/ref=mp_s_a_5?qid=1317140898&sr=8-5

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful with iodine. Start slow. I had a nasty reaction when I started 4 years ago and could only take small doses.

The only thing I could find at the time is that I might be purging fluorine and bromide. My ND had never had anyone respond negatively and knew nothing about the purging of any halogens or heavy metals.

One must be very careful if it does cause mobilization of heavy metals because the situation could get worse if they re-distribute to the brain or already weak organs.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Alice - Even when iodine is included in multivitamins, it's a very miniscule amount. It's usually in MICROgram dosages, whereas we should be taking MILLIgram dosages (1,000 times higher).

The US RDA is a joke, but that should be no suprise to anyone here. I swear they're trying to give as many of us cancer as they can.

My favorite toothpaste is Tom's of Maine. They've got all kinds of different toothpastes, and they're all (mostly) natural.

This is the one I'm using now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004M99CEU/ref=mp_s_a_3?qid=1317144816&sr=8-3

But I also like their clove flavors, because I used to smoke cloves in high school and it brings me good memories. [Smile]

James1979
Unregistered

Sorry Alice. I think the clove version is always fluoridated by Tom. Maybe another brand makes a fluoride-free clove version...

If we ever get over our sickness, you can come over and we can smoke cloves together! [Smile]

James1979
Unregistered

Bromide toxicity case study:
This is very interesting because it shows how someone can have a detox reaction when they first start supplementing with iodine. This also shows how a knowledgeable doctor utilizes the "Sea Salt/Vitamin C" protocol!
quote:
Case Study. Ellen is a 39 year-old school teacher. Ellen had a history of hypothyroidism and was being treated with thyroid hormone. Though Ellen felt better on thyroid hormone, she still felt fatigued and suffered from headaches. The thyroid hormone made her symptoms improve by approximately 50%.

"When Ellen was checked for iodine, her loading test was low at 46% excretion (normal > 90% excretion). Ellen was also checked for bromide excretion and was found to be excreting a large amount of bromine--131.5 mg/24 hours (normal should be less than 5 mg/24 hours).

"Upon being placed on 50 mg of iodine/iodide (Iodoral), her remaining symptoms initially worsened. "I felt more fatigued and my headaches increased in frequency," she said.

"I told Ellen that she was going through a detoxification process. The iodine was helping her body excrete large amounts of bromide.

"During a detoxification process, the body's detoxification systems need proper support to ensure the toxic chemicals can be safely released without harming the body's tissues. I told Ellen to take large amounts of Vitamin C--10,000 mg/day, as Vitamin C helps all of the body's detoxification pathways function more effectively. Furthermore, I placed Ellen on 10 gm of unrefined sea salt per day-Celtic Sea Salt. The unrefined salt has chloride which can assist in the body's removal of bromine. In addition, the minerals in Celtic Sea Salt aid the detoxification process.

"Ellen was also doing Epsom salt baths (two cups in a cup of water) twice a week and taking a magnesium supplement. "As soon as I started the salt and magnesium and the baths, I felt better. The headaches rapidly declined and my energy increased," she claimed.

"Three months later, Ellen's testing showed her iodide-loading test increased to 87% excretion (normal > 90%) and her bromine levels fell to 35 mg/24 hours. Although her bromide levels were still too high, as her iodine levels improved, her bromide levels declined.

"Iodine supplementation, coupled with a holistic treatment plan supporting her body's detoxification pathways enabled her to significantly improve her condition."
-----------------
(end of case study)

"Ellen's case is very common. Bromide toxicity is rampant. Unless iodine levels are elevated along with the support of the body's detoxification pathways, the body will be unable to release bromide. I have seen a similar picture in numerous patients who suffer from many chronic conditions including chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, hormone imbalances, and even cancer. These conditions significantly improve when iodine deficiency is rectified and toxic chemicals are detoxified from the body."

Fluoride toxicity info:
Fluoridation has been linked to dental fluorosis (discoloration of the teeth), hip fractures, bone cancer, lowered intelligence***, kidney toxicity and other negative effects. There have been no studies which prove that long-term ingested fluoride has any positive effect.

Fluoride is known to be a toxic agent. Fluoride has been shown to inhibit the ability of the thyroid gland to concentrate iodine. Fluoride was first reported to cause thyroid problems in 1854 when fluoride was found to be a cause of goiter in dogs. Research has shown that fluoride is much more toxic to the body when there is iodine deficiency present.

Many commonly prescribed medications contain fluoride including the popular SSRI antidepressants such as Paxil and Prozac. Interestingly, there have been reports of this class of antidepressants increasing the risk of breast cancer. Many medications that contain fluoride have been pulled from the market due to serious adverse effects.

***James' note: Maybe this is the cause of my problem?? [Wink]

How long does it take for someone to reach iodine sufficiency after they start supplementing with iodine?
The following quote is from "the man" himself:
My experience has shown that a healthy patient who is iodine deficient will require an average of three to six months of iodine supplementation to reach saturation. Those individuals who are ill, especially those with cancer will take considerably longer - sometimes up to 3-4 years.
James' note: Although he doesn't specify in the above paragraph the amount of iodine he's talking about, I'm almost positive (from his previous examples) that he's talking about giving the patients 50mg of iodine a day through Iodoral or Lugol's, and then when they reach sufficiency he lowers them down to 25mg a day or 12.5 mg a day.

Dr. B gave examples of how breast cancer patients have much higher levels of bromide and fluoride in their bodies than the non-cancer patients.

A quote about the dangers of fluoride: Fluoride interferes with hundreds of enzymes in the body and also causes thyroid dysfunction.

The way to detox from bromide and fluoride: The way to reduce the body's burden of toxic halides is to increase the body's iodine levels. The use of iodine supplementation, as part of a holistic nutritional program which facilitates the detoxification capabilities of the body, will allow the body to decrease its levels of toxic halides... Iodine supplementation will not only provide a valuable nutrient for the body, it will also aid in the detoxification process of the body.

James1979
Unregistered

The followoing is all quoted from the book:
Iodine and Auto-Immune diseases: Graves' and Hashimoto's Disease
The rising incidence of Hashimoto's and Graves' disease correlates with falling iodine levels. I believe the increase in both Hashimoto's and Graves' disease, occuring at near epidemic rates, is due in large part to iodine deficiency.

Researchers in Europe reported on the incidence of hyperthyroidism in two areas of Denmark (Aalborg and Copenhagen). The two areas were chosen because Aalborg had slightly lower iodine levels as compared to Copenhagen. The results are summarized below.

(There's a diagram showing higher iodine excretion in Copenhagen correlated with lower incidences of hyperthyroidism. Aalborg had lower iodine excretion but higher incidences of hyperthyroidism).

(He gives some more statistics here about USA and other places).

If iodine caused autoimmune thyroid problems, you would expect the rate of hyperthyroidism to decline as iodine levels fall. That is just not the case. This study clearly shows that lowered iodine levels in Aalborg are associated with a 260% elevated incidence of autoimmune thyroid problems (hyperthyroidism) when compared to an area with slightly higher iodine levels - Copenhagen.

Here he slams conventional approaches to autoimmune thyroid disease. WARNING: He strongly warns against using radioactive iodine to destroy the thyroid glands, even if the doctors tell you it's safe!! Here's what he say's about the "safety" of radioactive iodine "therapy":

Researchers have reported a 400% increased incidence of death from thyroid cancer due to radioactive iodine. Furthermore, a nine year study of 2,793 patients who received radioactive iodine found:
1) 56% increase in mortality for radioactive iodine treated hyperthyroidism patients.
2) 40% increased risk of stroke.
3) 29% increased risk in mortality from cancer.
James' notes: Sounds safe to me! [Smile] [bonk]

Searching for an underlying cause of autoimmune thyroid problems:
In order to formulate an effective, safe, and inexpensive treatment for autoimmune thyroid problems, one must first search for an underlying cause of the illness. As I discussed in my book, Overcoming Thyroid Disorders, the underlying cause(s) of autoimmune thyroid disorders can be varied. This can include infections, toxicities, food allergies (e.g., gluten intolerance), and nutritional imbalances. I believe that iodine deficiency may be an important factor in developing an autoimmune thyroid problem.

HERE he gives a couple of case studies of people with autoimmune thyroid disease whose lives were drastically changed for the better after they started supplementing with iodine.

My initial study on the iodine status of 24 patients (see Chapter 2) showed that 92% of those with Hashimoto's and Graves' disease also had iodine deficiency. Nearly every one of these patients had dramatic improvements in their symptoms with the use of a combination of iodine/iodide to replace the body's deficit. Rarely do I see a negative side effect from the replacement of a natural form of iodine, and side effects are easily rectified with adjusting the dosage.

Inorganic, non-radioactive iodine (such as Lugol's or Iodoral) has been used to treat autoimmune thyroid problems for over 100 years. There are numerous reports in the literature citing the beneficial effects of iodine. In fact, iodine has been shown to reduce the hyperplasia and hypervascularity characteristic of Graves' disease. In cases of hyperthyroidism, milligram doses of iodine/iodide were used effectively prior to thyroid surgery to decrease thyroid hormone blood levels and prevent thyroid storm (a complication of thyroid surgery).

There is a concern that the use of iodine in an autoimmune thyroid patient can exacerbate the symptoms of thyroid toxicosis. Sometimes this claim is made when the TSH test elevates shortly after starting iodine therapy. However, after beginning iodine therapy it is common for the TSH test to elevate.

Why Does TSH Increase when Starting Iodine Therapy?
One of the most frequent emails I receive from physicians and laypeopel is their concern about TSH levels elevating after beginning iodine therapy. As previously mentioned, TSH is released by the pituitary gland to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormone.

Pituitary gland -> TSH -> Thyroid Gland -> T4 -> T3

However, TSH has another function besides stimulating thyroid hormone production. It also helps stimulate the body's production of the iodine transport cells (sodium-iodide symporter-NIS). Without adequate amounts of NIS, iodine would not be able to enter the cells and be utilized.

This concept is not hard to grasp. Let's take the example of a patient who is iodine deficient. This iodine-deficient patient's body does not require a large amount of NIS since there is little iodine that needs to be transported into the cells. However, when this individual begins to supplement with iodine, the extra iodine now needs to be transported into the cells. One way the body will accomplish this is to increase the production of TSH to stimulate more NIS.

My experience has shown an elevated TSH, without clinical signs of hypothyroidism (i.e., fatigue, hair loss, headaches, etc.) and normal T3 and T4 levels do not indicate a hypothyroid condition. On the contrary, this elevated TSH is the body's appropriate and necessary response to the initial ingestion of iodine. My experience has shown that TSH may remain elevated for up to 6 months before lowering to normal.

How much do TSH levels rise? The normal TSH level ranges from 0.5-4.5mU/L. I have witnessed TSH levels rise 5-30mU/L for a period of time - sometimes up to six months - before falling back to the normal range. Remember, if there are no clinical symptoms of thyroid problems and T3 and T4 levels are normal, it is doubtful that TSH elevation is a sign of hypothyroidism. In this case, TSH elevation is normal and expected.

James1979
Unregistered

Final Thoughts (from Dr. B about the current chapter)
I believe all individuals with a thyroid problem should have their iodine levels checked. If iodine levels are suboptimal, iodine replacement with the correct form of iodine should be instituted. My experience has clearly shown that the appropriate use of iodine in treating thyroid disorders, from hypothyroidism to Graves' and Hashimoto's disease, is not only safe, but effective and inexpensive. This is a holistic way to search for and treat an underlying cause of thyroid problems with a safe and natural agent. But, most importantly, people improve their condition without experiencing any serious adverse effects.

Clinical experience has shown that when iodine is added to a hypothyroid patient's regimen, it may become necessary to adjust their thyroid dosage. Approximately one-third of patients being treated for hypothyroidism will need to lower their dose of thyroid hormone when an iodine-deficient disorder is corrected. The other two-thirds of the people taking thyroid hormone can usually maintain their dosage of thyroid hormone. Also, patients with Graves' and Hashimoto's disease may have to adjust their thyroid medications.

Iodine replacement is not the only therapy for thyroid illness. Nutritional, supplementation, detoxification, drinking adequate amounts of water and diet changes can also improve these conditions. For more information on a comprehensive holistic plan to treat thyroid disorders, I refer the reader to my book, Overcoming Thyroid Disorders.

The next three chapters will expand on the concept that deficiency of iodine is one of the major causes of autoimmune thyroid disorders. Remember, once you understand the cause of an illness you can formulate an effective treatment plan. These chapters will identify the cause(s) of autoimmune thyroid illness and present a treatment plan designed to stop the progression as well as reverse autoimmune thyroid disorders.

Brussels
Member # 13480

I took some iodine in the begining of my lyme treatment. As I said above, dr. K. says all his lyme patiens are iodine defficient.

Later, I only rubbed the tincture on my skin every night. Initially, I did a HUGE painting on my thigh, then slowly reduced (as I saw the stain was staying longer). It is amazing how fast the skin sucks iodine.

Today, for ALL topic infections, I use iode-based 'creams'. Nothing works better. You cut your finger, use iodine cream (not the liquid version as it dries fast), let it for a few hours, healing is so fast.

Iodine is recommended for a variety of skin infections, and bacteria and fungi react to it.

I had loads of creams (with other chemicals inside) that I used for kids (because they get easily hurt). Today I only use the one with iode. It is, to my view, the most efficient without any doubt! The only problem is that it stains clothes!

James1979
Unregistered

Here's an awesome case study about how Dr. B cures Hashimoto's

I diagnosed my nurse Angela with Hashimoto's disease two years ago. Angela's complaints included fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and a general sense of not feeling well. "I am only 23 years old, I can't imagine what I will feel like when I am 50," she said.

Angela was treated with iodine (50mg/day) and a complete nutritional program including vitamins and minerals. Angela did feel somewhat better (approximately 30%) but was not satisfied.

When she walked into my office one day, she saw a bottle of 'ATP Co-Factors' (www.Optimox.com), which contains 100mg of B2 and 500mg of B3. She asked me what this bottle was for and I told her that this therapy has been a big help for Hashimoto's, Graves disease, fibromyalgia, and chronic fatigue suffering patients.

She said, "I have Hashimoto's, how come I am not on it?" I did not want to tell her that I forgot to tell her to take it, so I sheepishly told her that the next bottle was for her.

Angela took one pill (100mg of B2 and 500mg of B3) and felt her energy improve within two hours. "I have taken so many supplements without having an effect, either positive or negative. This (ATP Co-Factors) was the greatest. I feel like I have woken up," she stated.

Angela continues to take the supplement and continues to feel well.

Update on Angela's case: Angela is still taking B2 and B3 along with iodine and continues to do well. "My antibodies are gone and I feel better than I have ever felt. I feel healthy now," she said.

James1979
Unregistered

Okay I just finished the book. It was pretty short, and there was a lot of repetitive information in there.

Here's a summary of the rest of the stuff that he says:

Concerns with using high levels of iodine:
He debunks the theories (which most doctors believe today) that iodine supplementation causes autoimmune thyroid disease, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiter, and cancer.

He goes into detail about each of the above topics, but the gist of it is that over the last 30 years, iodine consumption has been greatly lowered, and iodine deficiencies have greatly increased. If iodine was the cause of all those bad things, then you would think that the rates of those diseases would be lowering over these last 30 years as we take in less iodine.

But the opposite is true: thyroid diseases have greatly increased over the last 30 years. Not only does this show a correlation between lowered iodine intake and increased thyroid disease, but he cites many other studies that show a similar correlation.

He also notes that it's important for pregnant women to take iodine supplements. Iodine deficiencies increase neonatal mortality rates by 50%. Fixing those deficiencies has reduced mortality rates by 50%. Also iodine prevents all kinds of sicknesses in the child, and improves their IQ.

How much iodine to take?
Dr. B says that everyone is different, so one number can't be used for everyone. But he says that most people should be taking between 6mg and 50mg of iodine/iodide supplement daily. He prefers the iodine/iodide mixture (like in Lugols or Iodoral) because different organs require different forms of iodine.

Note that we're talking MILLIGRAMS, not MICROGRAMS like the RDA says. Dr B's lowest recommendation of 6mg/day is still over 40 times the US RDA value.

At the end of the book he gives a lot of case studies showing how iodine supplementation has made drastic changes to peoples' lives. The most interesting thing for me is how breast cysts shrink, thyroid nodules shrink, thyroid antibodies disappear, etc.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Now... onto my next book... It's about the psychic who invented caster oil packs. Isn't that interesting? [Smile] I wanna see if he really did have psychic abilities. Interestingly enough, he was also big into iodine, and he created his own form of iodine which is known as "Nascent" or "Atomic" iodine today.

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be curious to see what you've learned about Edgar Cayce. He probably wasn't as crazy as his peers thought.

Good take on the iodine. I have a friend who recently had a masectomy. I wouldn't be surprised if iodine supplementation would have resolved her issues.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

jackie - I'm reading this book here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0876043759/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1317242847&sr=8-1

I was reading a book about castor oil packs, and the author mentioned a few times about how much he liked Edgar Cayce book "There is a River". That's what made me interested in reading it.

So far it's very interesting. It's written by a guy who knew him personally for years. It was written in the 1940's.

Something that I found shocking is that whenever he entered a trance state to give his readings, his first words were always: "Yes, we have the body." Freaky!!!

The big question that everybody always has is: were his readings from God, from the demons, from some other kind of natural force, or was he just a faker?

Personally, I don't think he was a faker. But of course I might learn more about him as I read the book.

I'm temporarily disabled today due to a temporary injury, so I'll probably be reading a lot.

imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, James, for jerking my chain....i was getting sloppy about taking my iodine drops. And here I sit with a multinodular goiter. Will run go get my lugols right now, thanks to you.
Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivy
Member # 18365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ivy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there anything in the book discussing if TSH levels go under .5 and hyperthyroid symptoms are experienced after the start of Iodine supplementation?

When I started Lugol's at a very low dose this happened to me and I have not had my blood levels rechecked yet. I wanted to give it some time.

I am just doing 1 drop of the 2% 2-3 times per week.

It was weird when I started the Lugols - my thyroid felt swollen and tingly for a few days and then that went away. Almost like it was hibernating and the Iodine woke it up.

Posts: 74 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

imagine2 - I'm SO happy to hear that!!! I'm glad to help anybody.

Ivy - YES, there was info about that. Actually, I'm surprised I didn't copy that info here, because I think it's very relevant.

I'll copy the info here later today when I get to it.

BTW my thyroid felt swollen for the first week that I started supplementation, and then that went away. Also I had slight hyperthyroid symptoms the first week of supplementation. He explains that in the book, and I'll copy it here later.

[ 09-29-2011, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: James1979 ]

James1979
Unregistered

The following is all copied from the book:

Supplementation and Detoxification Reactions
In Chapter 5, it was established that iodine could compete with the toxic halides, bromide and fluoride. The study I undertook showed that the use of iodine can result in the release of the toxic halides from the body. If the body's detoxification pathways are overloaded when the toxic halides are being released, a detoxification reaction can be triggered. A detoxification reaction can take the form of fatigue, muscle aches, fever, diarrhea, and brain fog, among others.

A detoxification reaction to iodine usage does happen - about 5% of the time. A detoxification reaction can be minimized by using a comprehensive holistic treatment program including: nutritional support (vitamins and minerals), balancing the hormonal system, getting the body's pH balanced, eating healthy foods, and other holistic treatments. One of the best ways to minimize a detoxification reaction is to ensure adequate use of unrefined salt as well as supplementation with magnesium and Vitamin C.

Iodine-induced hypothyroidism and goiter
When animals or humans that are iodine deficient are given large doses of iodine, there is a transient decrease in thyroid hormone production (approximately 26-40 hours) until the body reestablishes its equilibrium with iodine. After that time, thyroid levels adjust to normal and signs of hypothyroidism do not develop.

[Here he says that many researchers try to point out the dangers of iodine by quoting a study about how certain Japanese men had a higher incidence of goiter, but Dr. B shows that the study was flawed.]

Iodine-induced Hyperthyroidism
The use of iodine in a previously iodine-deficient population may result in a transient increase in thyroid hormones. Studies have shown that the increase in thyroid hormones, which could lead to hyperthyroid symptoms (i.e., palpitations, nervousness), will gradually decrease. These side effects can easily be monitored by routine lab tests and adjustments in dosages. Furthermore, Chapters 7-9 provide safe and effective ways to minimize these reactions.

Researchers from Switzerland found that the correction of iodine deficiency not only decreased the incidence of thyrotoxicosis, it also lowered the incidence of goiter, cretinism, and minor deficiencies of intellect. My experience has shown that iodine-induced hyperthyroidism is not a common occurence.

Ivy
Member # 18365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ivy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks James. Your info makes me feel like I am on the right track.

I do use the supplements Tyrosine, Selenium and Vitamin C.

I add Ubiquinol because I heard it helps the body absorb or use Vitamin C- or something like that.

I also use Celtic sea salt but probably not to the levels that are suggested.

My doc thinks I am very toxic in either Fluoride or Bromide and to top it off he also thinks my body's detox pathways are not working like they should.

I am hoping your next thyroid ultrasound shows improvement for you!

Posts: 74 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you for sharing!

I use Iosol drops, recommended by Dr. David Williams. Maybe I will use it more often now that I have this to read! And I do spend a lot of time in the YMCA pool, i.e. get a 1 1/2 hour chlorine bath almost every day.

I probably got mine from iHerb, where I get most of my stuff.

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and I should add that when I do take it, usually with lunch, I always feel so good after that & for the rest of the afternoon/evening
Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Ivy - that's awesome that you're taking the correct supplements! Dr. B likes all of those. And yes, the ubiquinol helps to keep the vitamin C in the system. But (and I'm sure you already know this) you know that if you're not over 40, you can probably take the CoQ10 instead? I take the CoQ10 because it's much cheaper. It sounds like you have a very good doctor. Thanks for the good wishes! [Smile]

ESG - thanks for sharing your story!

I'm just so happy that people are reading this thread! I thought yesterday that maybe I was wasting my time...

If you guys want more info from the book, maybe I could post some of the interesting case stories.

I might post later some of my favorite YouTube links here about iodine. I've posted them in other places, but it'd be nice to have them in this big iodine thread.

JJ29
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJ29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, thanks so much for taking the time to post this info......I have been meaning to read Dr. B's book.....this is very interesting and timely for me because I also have nodules and have been told that I may be subclinically hypothyroid.

I have started painting a quarter size circle of iodine tincture on my arm every other day and have noticed that within 6 hours it's gone.....so I know that I'm iodine deficient , but I'm afraid to take lugol's internally because I have elevated lead levels possibly due to the MTHFR C677T gene mutation and I don't want to create more problems.....but I must admit I am very tempted to try it.

Anyone with heavy metals and MTHFR issues taking iodine?

Posts: 574 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elainer97
Member # 33917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elainer97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking kelp tablets since the end of march and even though that is only 225 mcg of iodine, curiously I seem to no longer need my armour. I'd been on thyroid meds for about 5 yrs.

I tested a couple of wks ago after being off armour for a wk and I'm in middle of normal range. I'm glad but it's strange!

Problem is I still have symptoms! But I'm guessing that's the as yet undiagnosed Lyme and/or co-infections causing this.

As for floride-free toothpaste, I use (and really like!) Xyliwhite by NOW Foods in cinnamon flavor. It's made with xylitol.

Posts: 77 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

elainer - it's possible that the iodine from the kelp has helped solve your thyroid problem, but I must mention 2 things:
1) Even if it solves your thyroid problem, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're taking the proper dosage. Higher dosages might be GREATLY helpful in preventing breast cancer for you (and of course fibrocystic breast disease, among other problems). The thyroids get "dibs" on the iodine, but then you have to have enough for the rest of the body. ESPECIALLY because you're a woman, I think it's especially necessary to get enough so that there is enough for your breasts.

2) Dr. B doesn't like using kelp as the sole iodine supplement. Kelp is fine to take, and it has it's own health benefits, but Dr. B's studies on kelp have shown the iodine levels to be very inconsistent with the bottles' labelling. Not only do the bottles from different brands usually not contain the amount of kelp that is stated on the bottles, but also the type of iodine in the product is very volatile, and it continues to lower throughout processing, handling, and storage.

Just a couple of humble suggestions. Be well, dear.

twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much James for this info. I'm always looking for inexpensive means to improve my health. THose expensive supplements I've ordered for years haven't done much to help me..

I'm currently ramping up on a version of Salt C protocol and cut back to only one abx right now.

My daughter (who also has lyme) has thyroid issues and takes meds daily for it. Every doc I've been to in the last 20 years has thought my thyroid was deficient but the tests never revealed anything wrong.

For Alice and elaine, the toothpaste my llmd recommended was the xylitol stuff, and we got it from Nutribiotic.com. They have several kinds, I do like the cinnamon too, but they also have non flavored..

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BHD
Member # 12185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BHD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much, James!

Do you know if it is safe to take Iodine supplements with amalgams and a heavy metal load(mercury, lead)? Also, any dosage guidelines for children (9 years old) and teens?

--------------------
Barb D.

Posts: 6 | From MA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

BHD - Dr. B didn't mention anything about metal amalgams, so I'm sure it's fine. He's treated thousands of patients with iodine, and a large percentage of them probably had amalgams. If there was a problem, he would've mentioned something in his book.

Iodine doesn't "pull" metals out like the chelators would, so that's why the rules are different. Iodine uses a displacement method, where it simply takes the place of the harmful substances.

I quoted his info about children and iodine below.

Alice - I quoted the fibrocystic breast disease info below.

I don't think a lot of LLMDs know about iodine. They can be GREAT doctors, too, it's just that they're ignorant about this important nutrient. Even wonderful naturopaths are frequently ignorant of this information.

The FDA and Pharma work very hard to suppress the truths about iodine. In fact, most simple searches for "iodine" on Google will bring up lots of biased info about how harmful it is to take iodine supplements.

James1979
Unregistered

Here's what Dr. B says about children and iodine:
Do Children need Iodine?
(Here he gives a case study where a 7-year-old was hyperactive with ADHD. Dr. B found the kid to be slightly hypothyroid. He put him on a low dose of Armour thyroid and 6.25mg of Iodoral daily. It fixed the boy's problems within days!)

Every child with a diagnosis or symptoms of ADHD needs to have a complete nutritional and hormonal evaluation. The use of psychoactive drug therapies to treat this condition should only be used as a last resort. (He continues here about how they usually respond positively to a holistic approach which includes cleaning up the diet).

At every lecture I give, I am invariably asked the question, "Do children need to take iodine?" The quick answer is "yes". This chapter will give you the explanation behind this answer.

(Paraphrase: Millions of school-age children are iodine deficient. It's important for their growing brains to get adequate iodine. It's important for the pregnant mothers also to get adequate iodine. The World Health Organization's iodine recommendations are way too low. Iodine deficiency leads directly to ADHD and other mental disorders, such as depression.)

It is important to ensure adequate iodine levels before pregnancy
As it is important to ensure adequate iodine levels in young women before they become pregnant. In order for the fetus to develop normally, adequate amounts of iodine are required by the mother. In utero iodine deficiency has been associated with a host of ailments in children including attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression, cretinism, dwarfism, and mental retardation. Iodine deficiency has also been associated with poor height and bone maturation of children. Furthermore, there is a decreased neonatal survival rate in iodine deficient areas. In fact, neonatal mortality has been shown to decline over 50% when iodine deficiency is rectified. Unfortunately, in the 21st century, iodine levels are continuing to fall for the vast majority of Americans. Chapter 12 will provide more information about iodine dosing during pregnancy.

(Paraphrase about ADHD: Studies found that ADHD was diagnosed 69% in the iodine deficient areas, versus 0% in the iodine sufficient areas. Furthermore, there was an 11 point decline in IQ in those children born in iodine deficient areas. 11 points can mean the difference between a successful child and a troubled child.)

Why children need iodine
(skipped some here)
I believe that the iodine requirements for children have increased over the last 30 years, just as they have increased for adults. The main reason the requirements have increased is due to the increased exposure to goitrogens such as bromide, fluoride, and chlorine derivatives. Iodine supplementation can act as the antidote for goitrogen exposure.

My clinical and laboratory experience has clearly shown that bromide toxicity is occuring at epidemic proportions. I have continually found that bromide toxicity is occurring in most individuals.

How to test children for iodine
Children, like adults, can be tested for iodine sufficiency. The iodine loading test was discussed in Chapter 10. Children can also do an iodine loading test, but their dosage of iodine must be lowered. If a child weighs less than 80 lbs, he can take 12.5mg of iodine/iodide (1 Iodoral tablet or 2 drops of Lugol's solution) in the morning. Then, 24 hours of urine is collected and a sample is sent for analysis. It is important to let the laboratory know that it is a child being tested and that the child did not take the usual adult loading test iodine amount (50mg). Both laboratories (FFP and Hakala) listed in the appendix of the book will perform an iodine loading test on children.

Children can also be spot urine tested. This can be done as a first morning urine sample. The spot urine test is only accurate for those not taking an iodine supplement. Once the child has started to supplement with iodine, the appropriate test becomes the 24-hour iodine loading test as described above.

Dosing a child with iodine
How much iodine do you supplement a child with? It is important to remember that every individual is a unique biochemical person. no one dose fits all. My experience has shown that iodine (in the form of iodine and iodide) dosed at 0.25mg/kg/day (or 0.11mg/pounds/day) is an approximate amount of iodine to ingest for most children. However, I do not suggest supplementing a child with iodine without working with a knowledgeable health care provider who can properly test and follow your child's laboratory results.

[James' note: Good luck finding an iodine-literate doctor! They seem more scarce than the LLMDs!]

James1979
Unregistered

Fibrocystic Breast Disease
Fibrocystic breast disease is a condition whereby the breasts have cysts that are usually painful to touch. Up to two-thirds of American women suffer from fibrocystic breast disease. In fibrocystic breast disease, the texture of the cysts can vary from soft to firm. Many times these cysts can change size and shape during the menstrual cycle, and they can cause discomfort premenstrually. Although fibrocystic breast disease is generally thought of as a benign condition, there are many physicians who feel that the abnormal breast architecture found in fibrocystic disease is a precursor for breast cancer, and this has been confirmed recently in various studies.

Estrogens have been implicated as a causative factor for fibrocystic disease and breast cancer. In fact, one of the most common treatments in conventional medicine for fibrocystic disease is to use birth control pills to suppress the ovaries and lower the amount of circulating estrogen in the body.

As repeated hormonal cycles progress, oftentimes the fibrocystic changes in the breast will worsen. The breasts can become chronically inflamed and hardened. Many women suffer terribly with this illness.

Dietary factors can also worsen fibrocystic breast disease. Caffeine and foods that contain trans-fatty acids can exacerbate FBD. Eliminating caffeine and eating foods rich in healthy fats, including essential fatty acids, will help alleviate many of the complaints of FBD.

Also, vitamin and mineral supplementation can alleviate this condition. Vitamin E and A have both been shown in studies to improve fibrocystic breasts.

Iodine has also been shown to be extremely effective in treating and preventing fibrocystic breasts. In fact, iodine has been the most researched mineral in treating FBD.

Case study: MaryAnn, age 45, works as a nurse at a local hospital. MaryAnn suffered from FBD for over 15 years. She said, "My breasts feel like two rocks. I can't do aerobics or exercise heavily because the bouncing causes tremendous pain." MaryAnn was going to a specialized cystic breast clinic at the University of Michigan. Frequently, she was having breast cysts drained, only to have them reappear a short time later. Dietary changes, including removing the caffeine did help somewhat. MaryAnn was so miserable she was contemplating mastectomy. MaryAnn was found to be severely iodine deficient (iodine challenge test showed 27% excretion with normal levels >90%). She was treated with Iodoral 50mg per day and within one month had a dramatic change in her condition. She called me on the phone and reported, "Dr. Brownstein, I was at the University of Michigan clinic yesterday and the doctor told me he thought my breasts weren't mine. The two rocks I had are now soft and normal feeling. All of the cysts are gone and all of the pain is gone. This has been a miracle for me. I can't believe one nutrient could have such a positive impact on my life.

Darlene, at age 39, suffered from FBD for over 5 years. "Sometimes I am absolutely miserable. I cannot stand anything touching my breasts. It feels like there is a tourniquet around them," she said. Darlene's symptoms would get worse around her menses. She said, "My husband knows not to get within five feet of me. If I bump into anything, I feel like crying." Darlene was told to alterher diet and give up caffeine and chocolate, which did help some of her symptoms. "The change in the diet did help, but I was still miserable," she claimed. When I checked Darlene's iodine levels, her iodine-loading tests showed a 50% excretion (normal is 90%). After two weeks of supplementing with an iodine/iodide combination (Iodoral), Darlene's condition rapidly improved. "I just woke up one morning and I wasn't in pain. I could not believe it. I feel like I have been given my life back," she said. In addition, the iodine significantly improved her energy and mood levels. Darlene says, "I can't believe how much better I feel."

MaryAnn and Darlene's cases are typical of many with FBD. Usually, the improvement in fibrocystic symptoms occurs rapidly when there is an iodine-deficient state present.

(Paraphrase: Here he talks about the direct relation between hyothyroidism, thyroid disease, and breast cancer.)

Thyroid hormone supplements shouldn't be given without iodine supplementation
(I skipped some stuff here...)
Thyroid hormones introduced into the body will raise the body's need for iodine. The breasts, like the thyroid gland, have an advanced system for absorbing and storing iodine. When there is iodine deficiency, the breast and the thyroid gland enlarge to compensate for that deficiency. In both cases, iodine deficiency induces hyperplasia, which is a precancerous lesion. This will set the stage for thyroid and breast diseases, including cancer of the thyroid gland and the breasts.

If iodine deficiency is present, the use of thyroid hormone supplementation without first correcting (or simultaneously correcting) the iodine deficit will exacerbate the body's deficit of iodine. The result of this can be an increase in disorders caused by iodine deficiency such as cancers of the breast and thyroid.

James' note: Are you guys proud of me? All of that writing about breasts, and I didn't even make 1 joke! [Smile]

James1979
Unregistered

YOUTUBE LINKS ABOUT IODINE

Dr. Flechas: Iodine deficiency and cancers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMfg76gAUo

Dr. John Doulliard on iodine deficiency: This is very thorough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2gvI1iFmbg&feature=related

Dr. Mercola interviews Dr. Brownstein about iodine (tons of good info, and very up-to-date!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-QCZAmXHqg

Dr Sircus interviews Dr. Brownstein about using iodine to protect against radiation exposure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lKXniRCo5E

James1979
Unregistered

Is the iodine skin patch test reliable?
Most iodine experts say that the patch test is NOT a reliable way to determine if you are iodine deficient.

Here is an article from one of the leading experts, Dr. Abraham, who references research studies:
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/updates/UNIOD-02/UNIOD_02.htm

Here is an exerpt:
quote:
From the published data, the skin iodine patch test is not a reliable method to assess whole body sufficiency for iodine. Many factors play a role in the disappearance of the yellow color of iodine from the surface of the skin. For example, if iodine is reduced to iodide by the skin, the yellow color of iodine will disappear because iodide is white. In order to regenerate iodine on the skin, one needs to apply an oxidant such as hydrogen peroxide, complicating the test further. The evaporation of iodine from the skin increases with increased ambient temperatures and decreased atmospheric pressure due to weather conditions and altitude. For example, the yellow color of iodine will disappear much faster in Denver, Colorado at 5,000 feet above sea level then Los Angeles, California at sea level, irrespective of the amount of bioavailable iodine. The iodine/iodide loading test (4) is much more accurate and it is now available from two laboratories:

FFP Laboratories
80 Doctors Dr., Suite 3
Hendersonville, NC 28292
Phone: 887-900-5556 / Fax: 828-684-3253

Doctor�s Data Inc.
3755 Illinois Avenue
St. Charles, IL 60174
Phone: 800-323-2784 / Fax: 630-587-7860

I realize that many will disagree with this, and that's fine. All I know is that the ALL of the iodine experts agree that it is not a reliable test.
James1979
Unregistered

Sweet. The following page has a list of 2 more labs that do the iodine loading test:
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/loadTest.htm

FFP and Doctor's Data require a doctor's referral, but Hakala doesn't (I just called them all). I just ordered a test from Hakala. It was less than $80. BUT for some states they require you to have a referral (I bet you anything it's NY and CA! [Smile] ).

The lady was super friendly at Hakala, and the entire thing only took 3 minutes.

James1979
Unregistered

I just got my Hakala 24-hour iodine loading test. That was pretty quick.

It says you have to be off iodine supplements for 48 hours, so I'll probably do the test on Tuesday.

JSYK, they also offer a bromide urine test for an extra $40. I didn't know that beforehand. I'm not sure if I would've done it myself, but I just wanted to put the info out there.

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James - I am so out of it - can you help me find the type of iodine you use/recommend on here? Or maybe it's not on iherb...

http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=iodine

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

If you wanna take pills, then the Optimox Iodoral is the standard:
http://www.iherb.com/Optimox-Corporation-Iodoral-90-Tablets/23903?at=0
This is what the iodine experts use.

Or you could go with a liquid form of the same thing, which is cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004S8EBYG/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1317926396&sr=8-4
I didn't see any Lugol's 2% at iherb. You might be able to find it locally.

Lugol's 2% provides exactly the same nutrients as the Iodoral. I wouldn't mess with any other types of iodine supplements. 1 pill of Iodoral = 2 drops of Lugol's 2% = 12.5mg of iodine.

BUT, some people prefer the "nascent" or atomic form, which is here:
http://www.iherb.com/Heritage-Products-Atomidine-2-oz-60-ml/6500?at=0
But I would only take that if you have trouble with the first two. The nascent is more gentle, but more expensive, and you have to take more of it.

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool thanks James!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good thread. I just found out today that I am very deficient in iodine. LLND uncovered that along with a thyroid problem among other things.

Thank you for posting the information, it's helpful!

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Here's an awesome link with tons of good info, courtesy of the wonderful BoxerMom:

http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodine.html

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, just noticed your iodine thread after I suggested you read Brownstein's book.

Well, I will add my story about facial skin patches (scabs) that have kept flaking off for years. When I take enough iodine, it stops. If I forget or take a lower dose, it comes back. Not sure what the cause is, but iodine helps it. Thinking it must be a pathogen, not sure which one. But my tickbite was on my face in 1996.

[ 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: lou ]

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrystalKlear
Member # 34042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrystalKlear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,

I just wanted to thank you for posting this information.

I have been supplementing my family with iodine as I do believe that most people are deficient in it, but I was using microgram amounts!

I just ordered some Iodoral.

Thanks again - this thread is very informative.

Krystal

Posts: 24 | From West Coast | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving to General Iodine Support.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Alice - personally, I would strongly disagree with your LLMDs opinion about the iodine, and I think so would the iodine experts in this country. But we can't blame the LLMDs. My LLMD is the same way. I guarantee you that if they studied more about iodine, they would change their opinions.

It does NOT hurt to supplement, at least not for over 95% of the population. If you take 13.5mg a day, then you'd be getting the same amount of iodine that the Japanese eat everyday in their diets, and you would have the same reduced risk of breast cancer (and other cancers and illnesses) that they have.

The Lugol's can be used both topically and orally. I use it both ways.

I highly suggest you look at the breastcancerchoices link I linked to above:
http://www.breastcancerchoices.org/iodine.html

You'll see that they mention Iodine-Literate Doctors. It's the same as LLMDs, except it's for iodine instead of Lyme. Just as you wouldn't expect a general practitioner to know about Lyme, likewise I think we shouldn't expect our LLMDs to know about iodine. Quite frankly, I think most of them aren't educated about it.

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in trying Iodoral. I have a bottle but haven't started yet because I'm not sure how much to take. I don't want to cause any detox or worsening symptoms.

I'm also on thyroid medication (Nature-throid). I'm concerned that the iodine might affect my lab results. I've just gotten the dose high enough to feel that it is helping. My doctor is very much a numbers guy so he will pull the med if my labs are even slightly off.

Do you all think it would be good for me to try a low dose? How much?

I know I live in the "goiter belt" so I should probably supplement with some iodine.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

sammy - it's always best if you have an iodine-literate doctor to help you. But TOO BAD those are even more rare than the lyme-literate docs!

Personally, I really can't offer you any advice, because everybody is different, and peoples' issues can be very complex.

BUT... if you were just an average person without any rare problems (which is doubtful), I would suggest to take 1 Iodoral pill (25mg) a day. You probably will feel SOME changes within the first few weeks, but then the body should stabilize some. If you start feeling too sick, then just back down or stay away from it. It doesn't hurt to try. It DOES hurt to not try, and you may end up regretting it later.

Dr. Brownstein frequently gives Iodoral along with natural thyroid meds. He says that approximately 1/3 of the patients on thyroid meds are able to slowly stop the meds after reaching iodine sufficiency. So basically it's not "unheard of" to take iodoral while taking natural thyroid supplements.

kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James - I haven't read through all of this yet, but I wanted to tell you that my LLMD told me last week that everyone with Lyme should be taking Iodine.

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks James, I had been thinking of starting with one or half a tablet daily. I'll probably start with the half, see how that goes, and gradually work the dose up.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. It's very informative. Something that we all should be more aware of.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw my LLMD, who went to the ILADS conference and met someone who was very big on iodine supplementation and "seaweed baths." My thyroid levels are normal and I have not been checked for iodine level. However, he recommended both to me I suppose on the idea that we're all deficient and I opted for the drops. [Wink]

It's been almost a week and I can't tell if it's doing anything yet but I sure hope it will. I wonder if it will help slow down my PKD cysts from growing too; that would be awesome. Thanks for posting all this information.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who carries Lugol's? Or do you have to order it online?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say order online, Six.

So, James, am I reading this correctly that w/ Lugol's iodine (12.5mg - 50mg.), one also needs to take a particular selenium (200-500mg), magnesium oil and himalayan salt in water (when bromide starts to exit the scene). (Bromide might be the wrong word, never know with my brain.)

Is that all? Am I missing anything?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Hens. I checked Whole Foods and they do not have it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Sixgoofy - yeah, I would just stick with online. At Amazon it's free shipping and it comes straight to your door.

17hens - yep, you got it right. selenium, magnesium (can be oral, also), and sea salt. ALSO I highly recommend vitamin C. I think Dr. B said at least 3 grams a day (split up) when you're trying to detox bromine. I personally prefer higher amounts, and I think he says in other places that sometimes he does 8-10 grams a day.

Very good of you for learning all that! Remember that those extra supplements will greatly reduce the symptoms of a detox reaction. If you really feel like you're suffering from a detox reaction, I would highly recommend epsom salt baths. But you're probably already doing those, anyway.

Isn't it strange that so many stores don't carry Lugol's? It used to be on the shelves of every doctor's office, and it used to be considered THE universal medicine. Now most doctors think that it's not only unnecessary, but that it's also dangerous.

17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think the C could be sustained release?

And what are the symptoms of detoxing bromine? (Checking to see what your reading recall is!)

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

"Checking to see what your reading recall is!" ... hmm.... are you testing me? [Smile]

Just search this page for "Supplementation and detox reactions" (it's in bold), and you'll find the answer to the detox question.

About the vitamin C, everyone has different opinions. Even though I've read a couple of books on vitamin C alone this year, I would definitely not consider myself an expert. But PERSONALLY, I prefer just the straight ascorbic acid (if your tummy can handle it). The vitamin C geniuses (like 2-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling) always used ascorbic acid in their studies, so I figure it has enough experience behind it. My second choice would be slow-release ascorbic acid. Then last choice would be the buffered or less-acidic types (like ester-C). Some doctors say that the ester-C types have only half the antioxidant power. Of course it's debatable, but IMO their science sounded logical.

17hens
Member # 23747

quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
"Checking to see what your reading recall is!" ... hmm.... are you testing me? [Smile]

You betcha!!!

Thank you for all your work here (and all your recall), James!!

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Brussels
Member # 13480

One yummy and easy way to get iodine supply is eating dry see weed, the ones used to pack the sushi (makizushi) in Japan, or the kimbab in Korea.

You open the pack and eat it like it is, usually it's salty, crunchy... My daughter, born in Switzerland, was afraid to try it first, now she's a fan.

Many children that visit us home, when they finally try a bit of it, they usually like the taste. So it's easy to give them, and full of benefits!

I know many Western families who lived in Korea and their kids get addicted to seaweed too! In these countries, they consume a lot for centuries, I don't think there can be intoxication, at least never heard of.

I also lived in Japan, and again, there's daily high consumption there too!

James1979
Unregistered

Brussels - that's very interesting! Do you know what kinds of dried edible seaweeds would be available in the USA? I like to use the Eden Organics brand, but I don't know if you're familiar with them.

I have dried wakame and kombu. I've never tried Nori. Is Nori a type they eat straight out of the bag?

What do you think about this one?http://www.amazon.com/Eden-Organic-Cultivated-0-6-Ounce-Packages/dp/B0012AL434/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321024826&sr=8-1

elainer97
Member # 33917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elainer97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When is the best time of day to take the iodine? With food, without food?
Posts: 77 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

I thought seaweed only provides iodine but not iodide which was the point of Lugol's...?

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by elainer97:
When is the best time of day to take the iodine? With food, without food?

IMO, it's best in the morning or afternoon, especially if you're deficient and/or haven't been taking iodine for a long time.

For the first few weeks of supplementation especially, there's a big chance that you'll get a big energy boost whenever you take the iodine. You don't want that energy boost close to bedtime. Usually that boost goes away after the first few weeks, but some people might have it for a longer period of time, especially if they were very deficient.

I don't think it matters if you take it with or without food. But it's best not to take it along with any antioxidants, because they change the structure of the iodine. I would space the antioxidants 30 minutes away from the iodine, but that's just my opinion.

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 17hens:
I thought seaweed only provides iodine but not iodide which was the point of Lugol's...?

Seaweed has a lot of iodide, according to this link here (see #3):
http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/IOD-12/IOD_12.htm
That's a good article. (I apologize if I gave any incorrect info about seaweed and iodide in the past... I don't remember).

The problems with using seaweed alone is that iodine is very volatile, so it evaporates into the air. Many factors affect the iodine levels in seaweed, including processing, packing, storage, etc. Also the seaweeds are able to absorb other toxic halogens, so that's another negative.

I'm not saying that seaweeds are not healthy. But even if I was eating a lot of seaweeds, I would still want to take Lugol's or Iodoral. That's what Dr. Brownstein recommends. He's tested seaweeds, and he's said that they usually have high levels of contaminants, and low levels of iodine. (I think Mercola also did similar tests). I think the youtube video with Mercola and Brownstein talks about this.

elainer97
Member # 33917

Thank you James! [Smile]
James1979
Unregistered

I just want to mention that I do NOT consider this "my" thread, and I do NOT think that I am some kind of an expert on iodine!!

If someone sees me writing something they disagree with, PLEASE share your opinion! Or if you see me writing something incorrect, PLEASE correct me! Don't be shy, anyone. I'm just repeating what I've read in a couple of books and articles. Not only might the books and articles be incorrect, but also my memory of them might be incorrect also.

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, fascinating stuff, James!

A few years ago, I was bit, thought it was a spider bite and ended up in the hospital a few mos later. My dr said I had severe adrenal fatigue and told me to read the book, Adrenal Fatigue. It was big on rest, vitamin C and, you guessed it, iodine.

I didn't know I had lyme at the time and followed the book. I just changed my salt in the salt shaker to iodized (always ate too much salt), had lots of C, rest and incorporated some acupuncture and some diet changes. I felt sooooooooo much better about a year later. Never had abx until 2 years after I felt better (got bit again).

Lyme must eat iodine in us like it does magnesium and D.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

OK, I'm getting frustrated! I'm trying to order everything I need here (been working on it for over a week and keep getting side-tracked).

Can you please tell me what kind of selenium I need? And where can I get it? I know I read it somewhere but can't find it again. Thanks!!

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

James1979
Unregistered

Yo yo yo. James in da house.

Here's what I found:
quote:
I found this on the internet and the people in the iodine yahoo list agree with this � The form of selenomethionine that the body can use is L-selenomethionine. L-selenomethionine is better absorbed and better incorporated into body components than any other known form of selenium.
I got that from this site (which also has other good info):
http://iodinehealth.wordpress.com/iodine-protocol/

Dr B recommends 100-200mcg of selenium a day, but not more than 400.

For the selenium, I personally prefer to just have a few Brazil nuts every day. 2-3 nuts gives you enough selenium for the day, plus a recent study has shown that the selenium from those nuts is the best absorbed. Plus it raises glutathione levels higher than any other form of selenium. There was an article on LN about this recently. Ah, here it is:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=110861;p=0

It's a very good read. I highly recommend it.

Hens, I just have one thing to say to you: "Keep it real."

17hens
Member # 23747

"Keep it real?"

What, the selenium? I'd love to but...

OK, I dont mean to be a pain, but can you imagine how many brazil nuts I'd need for a family of 4? That would be up to 12 a day. 12 day for 30 days would be 360 nuts a month.

You got a rich brazilian, nut farming uncle I could call?

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

James1979
Unregistered

By my estimations, you would probably need about 1 of these bags a week:
http://www.amazon.com/Bergin-Nut-Company-Brazil-16-Ounce/dp/B001EO7LVM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321306230&sr=8-1

That would be about $10 a week.

Here's what I have to say about that: Next time don't have so many children! Sheesh.

(just kidding [Wink] ).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement