LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Iodine Information Thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Iodine Information Thread
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HaHa!

Hey, look at this http://www.vitacost.com/Best-Of-All-Brazil-Nuts-Unsalted
I wonder why they don't list Selenium in the nutrition chart?

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most food labels do not list a food's selenium content.
Taken from here:
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/selenium

Golly, hens. Maybe I should just come live in your house and Google stuff for you whenever you have a question? [Smile] Just place a laptop in the dog house and I'll be fine. Does that sound good? But then you'd need 15 brazil nuts a day instead of 12...

Just kidding. I'm learning at the same time, so I'm glad to try to find the answers.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, come on over! No laptop in the dog house though, but the hen house is fully equipped!

I know I can do it all myself, but you're just lying around on your floor just waiting for some questions to answer, aren't you?

I do appreciate your help though. I like looking and talking and asking at the same time... and if you wait long enough, I'll likely find the answers myself! [Smile]

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

"No laptop in the dog house"? What the heck?!??!! [loco]
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading the Gerson book now regarding his treatment protocol, and he strongly adheres to a low-to-no-salt diet but does supplement with iodides and/or iodine--

It's interesting to read this thread and see the validation on how important iodine is (minus the sodium)---

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

The sodium issue is controversial, though. There are a lot of people here who would say that sea salt is very beneficial for many reasons. Even Dr. Brownstein (and the other famous iodine experts) recommend high dosages of sea salt when starting iodine therapy, in order to help safely detox the toxic halides that have taken the place of iodine in the body.

I've read the Gerson Therapy book also, and personally I disagree with some of his viewpoints. It seems to me that they are a little dated, and I wonder if he would change some of his viewpoints if he were still living today.

I'm not saying he wasn't good at curing cancer... On the contrary, I have full faith that he was VERY good at curing cancer. And maybe low sodium would be beneficial for that specific illness, I don't know. But it's also possible that maybe his success rate wouldn't have been lowered (and possibly it would have been increased) if he didn't stick to the "low sodium" regimen.

Just my opinions. I ain't no expert.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, my sodium has always been low. I've had three doctors over the past 20 years tell me to salt everything. We need salt. It's a macronutrient.

The probem is Americans tend to eat too much processed food, which is very high in sodium. I eat little processed food, so my sodium is generally low even though I use salt.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abby-do
Member # 25440

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abby-do     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great thread James, thank you for all the information.

As someone who has thyroid nodules, cystic breasts and uterine fibroids....I went on the Lugols 5%, I haven't been tested or had Ultra Sound since so not sure of how well it is working for the cysts or nodules. Hoping to see some improvement on next mammogram in couple months.

My improvements to thyroid, feeling about 70% better since taking Lugol's and T3.

I get the stronger Lugols 5% here:

http://www.jcrowsmarketplace.com/1ozlugolssolution5valuepriceincludesshipping.aspx

Growing up in Nova Scotia as kids we ate bags of locally harvested dried dulse from the ocean like one would eat potato chips....think that kept iodine levels up butleft NS and different diet, prob. aided in being iodine deficient.

For a toothpaste recommendation, I use a neem toothpaste purchased from the health food store

As for Edgar Cayce, I read the book you mentioned many years ago and visited his Center for Research and Enlightenment in Virginia Beach, Va in the 1970's......I received a book today from Amazon "The Edgar Cayce Remedies" about his medical readings also wool pack and Castor Oil to start castor oil packs hoping to aid detoxing.

--------------------
I am not a Doctor and I never played one on TV, I'm just a lab rat with Lyme trying to rid myself of this horrible disease.

Posts: 88 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have an opinion yet as to the yay-or-nay regarding sodium (or iodines for that matter), since I've only just recently started reading the Gerson book. But, this topic is interesting.

Many of Gerson's hypotheses make sense to me, but it seems that I can read very convincing literature that can sway me to either side--Fortunately I am a natural skeptic, so I do try to hold off making any rash decisions either way.

I think Gerson's take on it is that the salt should come only from non-processed organic fruits and vegetables and that illnesses arise when the salt displaces the necessary potassium--again, not sure yet if this works in reality, since I'm just starting to read this book due to some people here on Lymenet having had success with his treatment.

I've always found nutrition very fascinating--I know that when I followed the raw diet, I felt great--unfortunately my 14 dd can't be convinced to eat anything like a raw diet. But, I'm happy to see that she is finally coming around to drinking her raw, fresh juices and green smoothies--

Guess next, I'll have to learn more about Lugol's.......

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started putting iodine on my skin and my temperature came way up, 2 whole degrees.

Recently it has been brought to my attention that breast and other cancer patients are using high dose (300mg) iodine to fight it and it's working. Why wouldn't it also not work to kill bacteria like BB and bart etc?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DD has low Iodine and ND wants her to take one tablet 12.5 MCG's of Iodoral.

DD seems to react to most meds, supplements etc. Not sure if detox related.

I was thinking of giving her about a third of a tablet to try, hoping no detox reactions.

She does have positive thyroid antibodies, but no treatment as Doc's say it will go away with Lyme treatment.

Dr. J also told us Thyroid antibodies would go away in Lyme treatment. They came down alot, but not able to treat with antibiotics now, so antibodies are alot lower but still testing Positive.

We have just a LLND now and daughter's case is so complicated.

I just do not want to add any more problems for DD, but want to try Iodoral if it will help raise her Iodine levels.

Thought I would post in case anyone had real problems with Iodoral.

Also , when Dd put liquid Iodine on a sore piercing, it caused pain in nose and ears. So not sure if supplementing the Iodoral wil be okay.

Many thanks

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ItsMyTurn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItsMyTurn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to James?
Posts: 182 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James left lymenet. There was a thread that had his e-mail if you want to contact him, but I don't know if the thread is still there.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go hiker53

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029275;p=0#000000

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read though this thread but have specific questions.

Who is taking Iodoral? I no longer have lyme but I am hypothyroid. I was tested for iodine and it was low, not surprising. My doc seemed to think that the does of Iodoral is too high.

She thinks it should be in the mcg's not mg's but I can't remember what she said. At the time I could not find one in mcg's but did after I bought the Iodoral. Biotics makes a liquid drop forumala in low doses.

My questions are:

Who is taking Iodoral that is also on thyroid medications?

What does do you take?

How has it effected you?

What dose are you taking?

Do you take it with or without food?

Would love to hear specific from others, good or bad. Bad reactions, good reactions, etc.

I decided to take it today but cut the 12.5 pill in half. What should I expect?

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, abxnomore!

I am taking Lugol's, which is drops and less of a dosage than Iodoral. I am only taking one drop which is 3 mg. I am hoping that it helps me get off thyroid.

I had a bad healing reaction upon starting it as I detoxed heavy metals/bromine that I didn't even realize I had. At least that's what I think it was. I'm just pulling out of that, and I had the flu last week, so I'll let you know how I feel next week as I get 100% of my energy back (the whole family is passing this bug around, so I'm still tired since 4 kids have had it).

It is much stronger than I thought. I guess I'm much more depleted than I thought. And, given that it's been a long time since I've felt bad, the healing reaction took me totally by surprise. I didn't expect it at all. Start SLOWLY. Skip days as soon as you feel bad. No sense feeling bad over it!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Six,

Thanks for the feedback. I started today by breaking the pill in half, so I'm on approximately 6mg. I was thinking about taking it every other day.

Do you take it with food or does it matter?

I would guess a.m is the best time?

Keep me posted. I hope I don't bring on other problems!

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Six for posting your experience. I think I will just try a tiny dose for my daughter.

Hope you feel better from the response and the flu.

Good luck Abxnomore, hope the iodine goes well.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Thanks but I hope someone will give some answers to my questions:

My questions are:

Who is taking Iodoral that is also on thyroid medications?

What does do you take?

How has it effected you?

What dose are you taking?

Do you take it with or without food?

Would love to hear specific from others, good or bad. Bad reactions, good reactions, etc.

I decided to take it today but cut the 12.5 pill in half. What should I expect?

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the iodine at least 20-30 minutes before eating.

I started with 150 micrograms and worked up to 2.5 milligrams gradually and it blew me away.

If you start feeling bad you are likely releasing bromide and need to back off and then put up to 1/2 tsp of sea salt in filtered water and drink it. Then drink a lot of water to flush it through the kidneys.

I felt so bad I had to stop the iodine completely as I could not function at work.

I do not take thyroid medication, but thought this might help me release some more metals and it certainly has.

Personally, I would not try this therapy until my body was pretty strong.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Hiker,
Thanks for this info. If you are taking a dose in mcgs moving up to mgs than you are probably not taking Iodoral which comes in 12.5 mg per tablet.

What brand are you taking. My doctor wanted me to take a small amount in mcgs but at the time I couldn't find a product but now I have (biotics mades drops) and also everyone seemed to be using Iodoral. I only took a half a pill today for the first time and have put off taking it. I feel a bit uncertain about taking it.

I no longer have lyme but I do have elevated lead, which I will start chelating in about two months. Do you think I should wait until I start the chelation?

When you say you felt bad can you tell me in what way? Was it fatigue or weird things.

hiker53
Member # 6046

I used Biotics Research Liquid Iodine Forte where one drop equals 150 micrograms. Doesn't taste as horrible as Lugol's either.

Weirdly when I was first diagnosed with Lyme the LLMD put me on iodoral and I did not have this severe effect.

This time when I took iodine I got very very severe headaches, muscle twitches, nerve pain, and kidney pain. The salt dosing with lots of water stops the pain as the bromide leaves through the kidneys. No more fatigue than normal, but weird dreams when I slept.

Since I teach full time I decided to wait until summer to pursue this. However, the iodine did start releasing some metals and brought out the small amount of babesia that I have.

Hiker53

[ 01-14-2012, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Thanks again. Yes, those are the drop I discovered after I bought the Iodoral.

They are more in line with what my doctor wanted me to take.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement