LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Maybe cardio is actually good for Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maybe cardio is actually good for Lyme
JessJoy
Member # 33443

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JessJoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the theory that after a cardio workout, the T-cells go down temporarily and the Lyme takes advantage.

But at some point, can't your immune system get better if you force yourself to get stronger with cardio?

I know that if I do too much, I have a major episode just 24 hours later. But, I'm wondering if I should just push through it since I'm on antibiotics, maybe I can reboot my immune system? I'm sick of only being able to be out and about for 4 hours total.

I have a friend who is an exercise physiologist. He does 50 mile races! He contracted Lyme and was told to stop running but he didn;t and it went away while he pushed through it. He was on dixy for 3 weeks.

Just musing...

Posts: 42 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was pretty strong before my reinfection. Had bad migraines and some other stuff, but I was rollerblading or running nearly every day and had pretty cut muscles. When I was bit again, and before I knew what was going on, the "flu" stopped my normal exercise routine. When the "flu" that turned into respiratory infection that "cleared" with antibiotics, I started exercising again slowly. I had only been out of commission maybe five weeks.

This was bad for me. I started having heart trouble. A 20 minute rollerblade on flat road made me sweat so bad and my skin so red my husband tried to force me to the ER. Stupid me, I kept at it every day ("I just got out of my routine.") until I passed out on the side of the road, that time after only 10 minutes. When I woke up (rural area), I started home very slowly but my heart was racing again and trying to beat out my chest.

I have wondered the same thing, but looking back on how I was an avid exerciser and then got knocked down, I am afraid to exercise again. My immune system was pretty strong; it was keeping me functional though I already had unproperly-treated lyme. Right now, I can get the mail and do one or two household chores a day. I wish I could run again.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say I got NOTHING to push through it! [Frown]

Even getting up to get the kids ready for school and I'm pooped so never mind about exercising. Like sbh93 said it doesn't take much to get my heart to pound out of my chest. Not to mention the dizziness and vertigo. I'm too afraid to get a vertigo attack!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it all depends on the person.

I have days where I ski and run around and feel better afterwards. Having said that, if some of my "lyme" friends did that they would be in seriously rough safe.

For example some of my friends consider walking to the mailbox exercise, which is great for them; however, for someone a little better off that wouldn't cut it.

I think it's best to take it in stride and push yourself without overdoing it.

Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Furthermore on that point, I remember when I couldn't walk up the stairs, now I don't even think about it...

Take it one day at a time and try to progress everyday [Smile]

Posts: 169 | From The Poconos | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Harsh exercise while ill can cause heart damage. "Cardio" implies aerobics, which are not allowed until patients are MUCH better. One's LLMD can guide this.

Nevertheless, to exercise the heart SAFELY, it need not be fast and furious. TAI CHI, a slow continuous movement strengthens the heart.

A reply from a similar post. Some wording may not seem just right for a reply here but too tired to rephrase. Content still applies:

The brain is often swollen / inflamed with lyme. So are many of the nerve fibers. Aerobics can make that much worse.

Adrenal dysfunction is one reason that aerobics are not recommended for those with infections, etc.

Hard exercising if adrenals are weak can future damage, severely.

Cardiac and mitochondrial issues are a concern, too. The heart is not to be pushed during infection states,even if on abx..

Anyone with liver issues need to be very careful with aerobics. Aerobics push more toxins through the liver and, often, it just can't handle that.

Everyone with lyme has liver stress. Just one reason why aerobics can be devastating for many.

Good stuff: Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Yoga, or Pilates.

** Light resistance weight training (not every day, but every OTHER day). See Dr. B's guidelines for instructions. ** [those with carpal tunnel or elbow problems would have to adapt somehow.]

For starters: just walk at normal pace, that is comfortable and does not result in "payback".

Tread water slowly; Water Walk; Water Tai Chi.

Dance, even if slowly, frequently, to music - just around your kitchen or living room as often as the mood strikes. Dance can take on a whole new meaning. It need not be fast. Just move to some music. Or, just BREATHE to some music.

Any of that gets circulation going.

None of those activities are to be sneezed at and can really help strengthen and support a stressed body (and liver) while NOT destroying it along the way. If movement is relaxing yet as imparts a better sense of well-being, that's a good thing.

Keep. An. Even. Keel.
-

[ 11-01-2011, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can tell you that when I exercise I feel better. The more I sit around the worse I feel. So.. To answer your question, yes I believe cardio is great for this disease. But, one really needs to go at their own pace. A little bit at least 3 times a week can make a world of difference.
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement