LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IgG and IgM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IgG and IgM
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone verify if this is accurate?

Here is what my doc says:

IgG indicates a PAST infection, never goes away...just shows that you had the disease at some point

IgM is a current infection; you are not over lyme until all IgM bands disappear

My Lyme friendly doc keeps testing me and in 2 yrs my bloodwork has never changed so I still have lyme. I've had periods where I thought I was over it but that has never lasted more than 4-6 months; I've been feeling bad again since May.

Just want to know if my doc is right about the IgM...has anyone ever had it go away and if it does are you cured? Also why do I have negative IgG if I've now had this for over 2 yrs (at least)?

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative
IgM - Postive bands 23 and 41

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the IgG and IgM
(from Dr C)
"With most infections, your immune system first forms IgM antibodies, then in about 2 to 4 weeks, you see IgG antibodies. In some infections, IgG antibodies may be detectable for years.

Because Borrelia burgdorferi is a chronic persistent infection that may last for decades, you would think patients with chronic symptoms would have positive IgG Western blots.

But actually, more IgM blots are positive in chronic borreliosis than IgG. Every time Borrelia burgdorferi reproduces itself, it may stimulate the immune system to form new IgM antibodies.

Some patients have both IgG and IgM blots positive. But if either the IgG or IgM blot is positive, overall it is a positive result.

Response to antibiotics is the same if either is positive, or both. Some antibodies against the borrelia are given more significance if they are IgG versus IgM, or vice versa.

Since this is a chronic persistent infection, this does not make a lot of sense to me. A newly formed Borrelia burgdorferi should have the same antigen parts as the previous bacteria that produced it.

But anyway, from my clinical experience, these borrelia associated bands usually predict a clinical change in symptoms with antibiotics, regardless of whether they are IgG or IgM."

Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
here is the link to what beth posted:

Western Blot Explanation
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure your doctor was talking about Lyme?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes susank

I see you are from Texas. Curious who you see? I've been seeing a houston lyme friendly doc for 2 yrs but I'm thinking I need to bite the bullet and pay to go see a real LLMD

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme is different.

I would suggest moving on if you possibly can.

PS.. Most patients get tested once or maybe twice... that's all. You go by symptoms to tell if you're well or not.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Quote: " . . .you are not over lyme until all IgM bands disappear. . ." (end quote)

Not accurate. All the bands can be absent but that does not equal lyme being absent. There are also many strains of borrelia for which there are no tests.

You don't need repeated tests. Some doctors do this just to satisfy the CDC or to try to cover their own backs in case their files are called upon for review. They want to have something in black and white.

Just as lyme is a clinical diagnosis (with the help of some tests), so, too, is recovery (not the same as cure; there is no cure). Recovery is usually a long process.

Trust how you feel, how well you can function. Your body will tell you if it's tip top or not quite there yet.

Also, a lot of other issues go along with lyme (coinfections, heavy metals, liver and adrenal stress, parasites, and more) so all those need to be addressed to help the patient recover.

Rather than trust your life to a "lyme friendy" doctor, I hope that you can find a "lyme literate doctor who is ILADS-educated, very seasoned and a better diagnostician for all of the chronic stealth infections.

One who also can assess the full extent of mycoplasma and HHV-6, heavy metals, and liver and adrenal support. It can be hard to sort all those out so experience and training really matter.

It usually takes much longer than two years to reach a level of recovery regarding even just lyme. For some, maybe 3, 4 or more.

Are you treating the cyst form, too? That's vital.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you have negative IGG and IGM on 2 western blots from igenex?
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Keebler- I haven't treated the cyst form yet. My doc did suggest flagyl last year when I was feeling a lot better. I had read about it and since I don't react well to most meds I didn't end up taking it. I know...bad decision on my part but I work full time and I just can't afford to be laid up in bed from the side affects. I'm lucky that my lyme doesn't completely put me down so I'm able to keep my job. I do need to find a new doc. Can any of you pm me with suggestions? I'm willing to travel.

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative

breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrellia can produce differing outer cell proteins under different conditions, hence the profile on IGG and IGM can change. This is one of the amazing and maddening things about lyme. When the bacteria is detected the immune system sends out antibodies targeted at the outer cell proteins that the bugs are expressing at that time.

As soon as the bugs realize that they are under attack, they can alter their expression of outer cell proteins in order to survive changing conditions.

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
breath..would this explain why a person is both IGG and IGM negative on 2 igenex western blots?
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i went to one doctor and every single time i went in they took blood and did tests. i was spending a fortune on testing.

and i don't think all of it was necessary either.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Can anyone answer my question here? Lol.
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Can anyone answer my question here? Lol.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lost11:
breath..would this explain why a person is both IGG and IGM negative on 2 igenex western blots?

-
Yes.. I'll bring you more info here. Did you have any positive bands?

Reasons for Sero-negativity -- the reasons why you can test negative and still have Lyme disease.

1. Recent infection before immune response
2. Antibodies are in immune complexes
3. Spirochete encapsulated by host tissue (i.e.: lymphocytic cell walls)
4. Spirochete is deep in host tissue (i.e.: fibroblasts, neurons, etc.)
5. Blebs in body fluid, no whole organisms needed for PCR
6. No spirochetes in body fluid on day of test
7. Genetic heterogeneity (300 strains, 100 in U.S.)
8. Antigenic variability
9. Surface antigens change with temperature
10. Utilization of host protease instead of microbial protease
11. Spirochete in dormancy phase (L-form) with no cell walls
12. Recent antibiotic treatment
13. Recent anti-inflammatory treatment
14. Concomitant infection with babesia may cause immunosuppression
15. Other causes of immunosuppression
16. Lab with poor technical capability for Lyme disease
17. Lab tests not standardized for late stage disease
18. Lab tests labeled "for investigational use only"
19. CDC criteria is epidemiological not a diagnostic criteria
20. Lack of standardized control
21. Most controls use only a few strains as reference point
22. Few organisms are sometimes present
23. Encapsulated by glycoprotein "S-layer" which impairs immune recognition
24. "S"- layer binds to IgM
25. Immune deficiency
26. Possible down regulation of immune system by cytokines
27. Revised W.B. criteria fails to include most significant antigens

---
My understanding is that the LD test depends on 'free-floating' antibodies - ones not yet attached and working. A high positive test in an asymptomic person, means loads of free antibodies which could indicate that the immune system is coping well on its own. A far more sick person, who's immune system is overwhelmed, will have few if any free antibodies as they are all engaged in the fight and thus will test negative.
--not sure who wrote this--

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Wow Lyme too.. That's way over my head :-( If a plus next to the band means positive then yes. IGM.. 23-25 kda and 30 Kda.

Then on the same test for IGM.. IND on 31.39.83.93

IGG only had one plus next to 41 kda

lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Oh and both tests ran through the best lab iGENEX. Had double starred bands on both igm and igg.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You probably just missed being positive. Those are very Lyme specific bands.

Like 23, 31, 39, 83-93. I think even 30.. Did you read Dr C's Western Blot Explanation?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

I did not but I will. Thank you Lyme too.
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TxL - I think we see the same doctor.

I cannot imagine our doctor saying that about IGM and IGG. IGM's typically convert to IGG in most illnesses - but with LD/Bb they can and do persist. Unless.....the IGM is a cross-reaction to another organism - that also can have a longer than usual IGM phase. ? Or another organism - or two - or three - comes into play - over time - expressed as IGM on the WB???

[ 11-08-2011, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: susank ]

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Whoa Lyme too. I just read Dr Cs explanation. Where can I get a degree in molecular biology?:-P Why are there variations from diff docs?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lost11:
Whoa Lyme too. I just read Dr Cs explanation. Where can I get a degree in molecular biology?:-P Why are there variations from diff docs?

-
Hey, at least he has it in laymen's terms!! [Wink]

If you hang around here long enough you'll have that degree!!!

Be sure to read the replies on this thread as well:

Western Blot Explanation
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

Lots of great info.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Ok now Lymetoo, TMI! Lol ;-)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement