LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Are there any dangers from chewing/eating lots of raw garlic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are there any dangers from chewing/eating lots of raw garlic?
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean besides the bad breath, of course.

I'm trying to go ape-nuts on my oral thrush, so I started eating a few raw garlic cloves every day.

Last night I had a very big clove, and my tongue was burning pretty bad. Also it seemed that something in my tongue felt swollen for a while after eating that. Plus today I think I see whitish bumps on top of my tongue, like irritated pappillae or whatever they're called.

So is it safe to eat maybe 3-4 raw garlic cloves a day, spread out throughout the day?

Thanks! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlic tears my stomach up something fierce. i'd mix it with food or soemthing.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have an allergy to raw garlic. One summer I had alot of it with Jersey tomatoes, basil, olive oil & balsamic vinegar & I had really bad seasonal type allergies. I never get seasonal allergies. I discontinued the garlic & they never came back.

I think I was allergic to it. So, it's not always a panecea.

I've been having some kind of thrush type thing & I tried alot of stuff - tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, Listerine type stuff (oil of thyme & eucalyptus are pretty good things). Usually, Yeast Cleanse by Solaray helps but it isn't working this time. I think I'm going to try berberine next. I also got some acidopholous lozenges.

Some people take fluconazole but I don't feel like going to a doctor. I'd rather see if I can deal with it myself.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest danger is not having any friends, perhaps!

Back when I was really sick, we went to a restaurant that had roasted garlic .... it was the first time I had had roasted garlic. I ate the whole bulb!!! It caused quite a herx.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the folks on Food Network, the longer you cook garlic the more flavor and less burn you get. Cooking it a short time gives more burn and less flavor.

Roasted garlic is great too if you mash it onto some buttered toast.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lost11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lost11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/garlic-000245.htm
Posts: 267 | From South | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The raw stuff also tore up my stomach and esophagus years ago when I tried that.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astrid
Member # 34432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astrid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful with too much (not sure how much that is) - it has blood thinning properties. I was taking ginger, ginkgo and garlic for a while and noticed I was bruising something fierce. After a little research, I learned that - duh - they can all thin the blood.
Posts: 8 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astrid
Member # 34432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Astrid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful with too much (not sure how much that is) - it has blood thinning properties. I was taking ginger, ginkgo and garlic for a while and noticed I was bruising something fierce. After a little research, I learned that - duh - they can all thin the blood.
Posts: 8 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vampires. Definitely vampires.

Oh, wait. Garlic keeps them AWAY.

Nevermind.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astrid
Member # 34432

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herx from garlic too. If I have to chop it for dinner, it makes me cry worse than onions ever did.

I can not take garlic pills. Very strange reaction, feels like there is a toxic liquid between brain and skull. No other way to describe this.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL-- I used to do this too.

Hints: if you chop it up into little pieces, and put it on a spoon with olive oil, then it goes down a bit easier. I was up to 3 cloves a day, its dirty business!

I did get night sweats and some other herx type reactions, but I think its probably REALLY good for you. I always tell people to do it if they think they are getting sick-- no way you'll get sick if you do it!

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic has alot of good properties but it wasn't a cure all for me. I guess everyone is different.

I think it has to be raw & mashed up to get the medicinal properties. You are supposed to mash it up because there are 2 chemicals that need to work with each other synergistically. You are supposed to eat it right away after that. I think it only lasts 20 minutes or so after the chemicals mix together when you mash it up, raw.

I really don't know if all the products with garlic are effective. It's probably best to just eat the real thing - raw. I have seen some people use tinctures. Dr. Schulze has one with garlic for the immune system. It has other ingredients like horseradish & ginger, I think.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You said chewing the raw garlic burned your tongue. The burn from the garlic oil can be serious.

It's best not to try that again until your tongue at least recovers from the burn.

Raw garlic has burned some stomachs, requiring surgical repair. (According to one ILADS-educated ND during a phone interview years ago. He said, "I've seen my share of garlic burns. Not pretty.")

There are so many other ways to address candida. Olive Leaf Extract capsule broken open into the mouth - and OLE does not burn. Also take OLE capsules and swallow.

For the other question, the max dosage for raw garlic is 2 cloves a day. More can cause anemia. (from Jensen, link below).

With cooked garlic, eat all you like. The oil has been calmed, so to speak. But, it also looses some healing properties, while maintaining others.

Of course, not everyone can do the raw. To keep the oil off the tender tissue in the mouth and throat, it is advised to swallow a small clove whole. Perhaps, in the middle of a meal at first to see how one does with this.

This worked very well for me. It has food in the stomach to mix with and that sort of gives it more of a medium to stretch it out.

Do not take, though, if on blood thinners. Also read from many different educational sources first so all is considered.

When swallowing a garlic clove (the cloves are the smaller sections of the head):

Do not break the skin other than just barely squeezing it with the teeth just the instant before swallowing. You don't want the garlic oil in your mouth, though.

The outer layer just needs to be coaxed ever so slightly so that it can go to work when it lands down the hatch.

================================

Just one source of many to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Garlic-Healing-Powers-Jensens-Handbooks/dp/0932615260

Garlic Healing Powers - by Bernard Jensen

==================================

As with all things, this should first be discussed with one's LLMD to consider interaction, duplication, irritation, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your replies and your advice.

I'm starting to get desperate, so that's why I tried the raw garlic therapy. As Keebles said, I'm gonna wait a couple of days for the tongue to heal up, before I try anything else harsh.

You guys wouldn't believe what I've tried to do to get rid of this stuff. Here's a summary:

I've been off abx for a few weeks now. I don't have ANY symptoms of internal candidiasis. In other words, I could spend the entire day eating nothing but fruits, and I wouldn't have any kind of gas/bloatation/IBS, etc. My only symptom is that my tongue has a brownish coating on it.

My diet is very anti-candida.

So here's what I've done to my mouth:
Listerine, 3% h2o2, 6% h2o2, OLE, clove oil straight, oregano oil straight, grapefruit seed extract straight, tea tree oil straight, (straight=no dilution... and yes, it burns for all the above), coconut oil pulling, Lugol's iodine frequently, Himalayan sole frequently, and probably a ton of other stuff too. Also I use a tongue-scraper once or twice a day. I am frequently eating probiotic rich foods every day, and frequently I open probiotic caps into my mouth (especially after "sterilizing").

ALSO I've been taking diflucan for a week now, and STILL NO PROGRESS!

The thrush has never been thick, nor has it ever caused symptoms (like pain or itching). It's just there.

Do you guys have any advice? I don't know what else I can do. A friend mentioned that maybe I could get the organisms cultured. Has anybody ever done that before? Would you recommend it?

I've only taken diflucan one other time in my life, which was a few months ago while I was still on abx. It didn't do anything back then, but I reasoned that maybe it was because I was still on abx.

(Please note that I will probably delete this individual post [not the entire thread] in a day or two. It contains too much personal information for me. Thanks for understanding.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JAC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic is great sauteed with onion and almonds, put over yummy fresh green beans YUM! Italians eat garlic like crazy. Yep it can scare people away alright it can also come out of your pores when you sweat. Others can smell you in the same room. [Big Grin] Try cooking it though, it is easier on the stomach.

--------------------
A little lymie...

Posts: 104 | From Greener Pastures in PA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Anything with alcohol can really burn the mouth. Listerine, all those harsh essential oil blends just make me cringe from the pain of even thinking about it.

Maybe diluted in lots of water, those can help but by themselves are far to strong and will burn and destroy tissue.

A little coconut oil, mixed with the powder from an Olive Leaf Extract powder should be helpful. Mix it in a little dish, do not open the capsule in your mouth (too risky regarding breathing in with powder flying about).

This does not burn.

Do this 4 times a day (once just before bed) so it can sit and soak in. Try to leave a few "pockets" of this mixture in your lower back cheeks. You want it thick, just enough coconut oil to "melt" the powder a bit.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I hear ya. Mine isn't that bad but it doesn't feel right either. You may want to try pau d'arco, caprillic acid, grapefruit seed extract (it's very harsh - use with care)...?

I think I'm going to try berberine soon.

I saw this link someone put in the other thread that sounds good, too.

http://kolorex.com/mouthandthroat.html

Other thoughts are maybe chlorophyl or chlorella? Green tongue anyone? I heard that chlorophyl feeds the good bacteria.

17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom gets yearly bronchitis ever since she was little. It's certain she'll get it anytime she's on a plane.

About 10 years ago, her mother was very ill so every other month for a year, she went to visit and care for her mother. She got bronchitis a lot that year.

So the one time, she decided to take tons of garlic capsules before going over, as garlic works as an antibiotic.

She took garlic for a few days before going on the plane and then 20 pills right before boarding.

I talked to her the next day by phone and asked how her trip had been. She said, "It was the best flight I've ever had. It looked like it was going to be full, but after I found my seat, the flight was really empty. I was the only one in my whole row!"

My cousin takes this product to help control her LD&Co - http://www.allimax.us/products.php

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer to liquidate garlic cloves with a blender then with other vegetables like the one I introduced in another thread.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/112478

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Just came across this - FYI

http://yeastfreeliving.com/2009/11/12/10-non-prescription-anti-fungals-to-consider-for-candidiasis-treatment/

Some of them sounded worth trying.

coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic lowers blood pressure, so if your blood pressure is on the lower side ( mine is) be careful not to overdo it.
Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhitneyS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitneyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cooking Garlic isnt going to be very effective for thrush or candida (from what I've read), it needs to be raw to have all the health benefits.

I've also read that the pills aren't much good either...that if you want the real deal, you have to eat the real deal, which makes sense.

Posts: 844 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,

I had the brown tongue and did nothing about it - well, I'll explain in a minute - since my teeth are tarnished with brown, too, now and my LLMD said it was from the abx (mino = tetracycline at the time) and was reversible

so I thought my toungue is just following suite adn I ignored it - recently it turned pink again

what makes you think you have trush?

so my explaination of the "I did nothing about it" is that that is of course never true since we all do things without knowing - so what I can think of is that I stepped up my probiotics to 180B/day mostly at night, like 1:30 am or 4 am when I have insomnia and don't eat meals (they say to take the capsules between meals) so maybe that is extra effective

I also started eating different foods again (tomatoes, corn, dairy, even wheat) and bigger meals, but I have to stop - got very sick last night after a Hardees Burger, too bad

but I noticed that my brown tongue disappeared around the time I started eating a lot more, so I thought I'd mention it - I ate lost of probios with the foods to help with digestion

About the garlic: I learned a lot from others on this post, which is to say I don't know a lot, but if you care to hear divine guidance through me / my intiution :

I would not eat anything every day

personally, I pulse the garlic when I suspect a yeast threat

once a week at the most

I eat it raw and only take a sliver of a clove into my mouth to chew, I do swallow several pieces (1/3) of a clove together with the little piece I chew to get some of the oil to release in the gut, hopefully

I do feel like it has a big effect, it makes me feel "clearer" for lack of a better word,

I know I am far out on the edge here, but you said you'd delete the post, ha ha, and I do believe we often "know" more than we are conciously aware of

maybe it is placebo effect, since I imagine it inhibits yeast

what I can say for sure, though, is that I can feel it when yeast has gone amock - I get uncontrollable sugar cravings that completely stop when I am on a no sugar diet

so it is possible that I can feel the further reduction in yeast by the garlic - it is a good feeling overall, but gets my attention, so I would not do it to my body every day

also, me, I would probably develop a new food allergy if I ate something every day

better use it with respect

Good luck!!!

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 599 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement