LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anxiety from doxy? Zith? or herx?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anxiety from doxy? Zith? or herx?
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dd is doing really well EXCEPT for anxiety. The anxiety presents in the way of intrusive, uncontrollable and unrelenting OCD-type thoughts of worries, etc. She says the feeling is there all the time with it usually worse in the late afternoon to bedtime. She is now also getting vivid "weird" dreams that make her feel like she has been up all night instead of actually having slept.

She wants them to stop! I'd really like to hold off on giving any psych meds, but if she continues to get worse, I will have to possibly address that--just to give her some relief.

The only change has been an introduction of an herbal protocol (which we are slowly ramping up over the past few months) and she stopped the Rifampin--however, she was experiencing this prior to the stop in Rifampin, so I'm not convinced it is the cause.

She also took a break from the cycline family (mino and doxy) over the summer for several months with no visible backslide, yet still had the intrusive thoughts.

So, the only remaining thought is that the zith is causing the anxiety? or the herbals are causing a major herx that she just needs to get through?

I'm not sure what to do at this point--I know she finds this very uncomfortable, and she is really doing well otherwise--said she would be close to 90% if the anxiety would resolve--

Any thoughts? Are the abx causing this? Are intrusive, OCD type thoughts and/or vivid dreams a side effect of either doxy or zith? (I'm tempted to stop both the doxy and the zith to see, but I really don't want to stop over the winter months--yet don't want her to suffer over those months either.)

Rescue Remedy seems to help at night--but she is needing to take more and more over the past few nights--

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you--

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this with my first round of Flagyl.....insane anxiety. Is she detoxing with pinella (brain nerve cleanse) and burbur? Epsom salt baths also helped me a lot. Ugh, I can relate. For me, anxiety was the worst symptom but it will get better.
Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our LLMD says that bart causes this. Do you think that has been treated adequately?

I had intrusive OCD thoughts for a few weeks after I mistakenly ate some gluten. If your daughter is GF, maybe that is a factor. If she isn't GF, maybe she could try it. I was always "stressed" before I went GF.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My DD has the same issue with anxiety. It is so bad at night and does not appear to be getting better. She is on Bactrim, Zith and Mepron.

Rescue Remedy I thought only worked for a short time, like a month.

Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Koo--She is on an herbal detox, but I think I will up that and order some pinella, burbur, and parsley.

jkmom--I do think the Bart has been treated enough with abx, though she is still treating it with the herbals, and zith does touch it a tad, I believe. I know she definitely had it while on Rifampin.

I also think the GF suggestion might be a major factor. She is 100% GF and DF, but since we never noticed any improvement with her being on the "diet", we've gotten very lax over the past month due to the holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, her bday coming up, Christmas, etc.)---I'll have to make a note of increase on days she eats gluten and dairy.

jackie--I'm now wondering if it is a herx from the babs treatment--does babs cause anxiety?--the herbals she is taking are going after the babs as well, and this is the first time in 3 years of treatment that there is a significant focus on Babs--what do you think?

I agree that Rescue Remedy only works for a short time, then a break is needed, so she is probably due for the break--just don't know what else to give that would help.

My only other thought was that perhaps the anxiety is a side effect from the Zith (as that is the one drug that she hasn't taken a break from) or the doxy?

Anyone else have any thoughts or experience to share to help her with these intrusive thoughts?

Any homeopathic suggestions?

Thanks again!

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought anxiety was from bart. I've seen/read that impending doom at night was lyme. My daughter did so much better on amoxycillan than what she is on now.

We see the LLMD later this week and I'm pretty sure the LLMD will have us try to ride this out, though it is hard. I would like her on amoxy again and will press for it.

One thing I do know is that my kid does so much better if she gets some exercise, even if it is just walking. She tends to be more "regular". When she is backed up, it's not pretty and she is appreciately more neurotic.

If you're willing to go with Byron White formulas, that might be worth a try. I don't know enough about homeopathy and wouldn't even attempt without a good trained homeopathic doctor.

For BW, start at 1/6th of a drop for children. One drop in 6 ounces of water. Then increase as herxes become easier. If I remember to post, I'll let you know if her LLMD has her start this.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Thanks for the Byron white suggestion--I'll keep that in mind.

Anyone else have any suggestions on what worked for eliminating/reducing intrusive thoughts/anxiety?

Thanks!

lucky8711
Member # 26221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucky8711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am going through the exact same thing. VERBATIM. I personally feel it is a brain HERX but I am also on Zith so coupld be that as well. Its miserable. I too use Resue Remendy but do need to use Klonopin sometimes too get a decent sleep and calm down. I am also using a flower essence that wrks great with this....and the unrelenting horrifying nightmares. It is called "Deposession Essence" I swear it has really been helping me this time around and back a year ago as well while going through a huge neuro HERX. Here is the link for the drops. My Mom is the one who put me on them...and the one who seems to find everythiing that helps me...because thats what Mom's do! =) Good luckto you both. and please tell your daughter she is nt alone in this. Its the stupid illness and it will pass. Big Big hugs to her.
http://www.desert-alchemy.com/txt/cf/depo.html

Posts: 80 | From RI | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had this happen on and off for over a year .

Right now it's calmer, but a few weeks ago several in a row..

I'm not sure about which or if ABX . . It just seems to happen. Not a fun experience at all.

You don't know if you're awake, asleep ,or some surface thing.

Let us know what you find out..Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Thank you to all who have posted.

I've gotten a few suggestions and ideas to research and follow through with now.

I'm sorry that anyone has to go through these feelings, and I hope you all find relief too!

I'll post again if I find something that works.

[group hug]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say it's a herx too, and anything that is getting at the "culprits" would make her herx.

and as my doctor told me, "There is no such thing as a 'low gluten' diet." She could have effects of eating gluten TODAY showing up next week!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeandfaith
Member # 19884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeandfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The anxiety could definitely be caused by the Bart. I had terrible anxiety while treating Bart. You said you thought that she was treated for Bart long enough. Sometimes it takes a long time to eradicate Bartonella. Perhaps the Rifampin wasn't effective for her?

I used MC-BAR 1 from Beyond Balance. It's an herbal formula which seems to help with the Bart. It's known to cause less of a herx than the Byron White formulas and I found it helped me with my anxiety. Perhaps you can try that.

--------------------
Shelly

Posts: 73 | From New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parasites/worms, a much overlooked co-infection can cause anxiety and OCD symptoms. Doxy kills baby Filarial worms.

You might want to consider some antiparasitic herbs to maybe get these parasites moving out of the G.I. track. Check out the symptom list at Humaworm and do a search on here for parasites.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Azithromycin caused terrible anxiety for me, and later pediatric doses of clairithromycin(biaxin) did the same. The macrolide family is mood killer for me.

There are others on the board that have felt the same way.

I've been depressed for several months on these meds, and now that I'm off I still feel their effects. But then, I just started Zhang's Artemesiae, so that may be a mood killer as well

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement