LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I think I might have Dysautonomia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think I might have Dysautonomia
horsefly
Member # 34232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horsefly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was looking up some stuff for me and I was mentioning that I had many symptoms that just didn't 'add up'. Other than my ususal Lyme symptoms I am always thirsty, go to the bathroom a lot, am dizzy, weak, feel faint, and more.

I was shocked to learn about Dysautonomia. But I have regular blood pressure, not low or high. I also wonder if some of my brain fog and irritability come from that too. Oh yeah-wicked migraine like headaches too.

Anybody else? My GP doesn't believe in Lyme and wouldn't even bother refering me out. Who diagnosed you with dysautonimia? Has it gotten better for you? I've nearly fainted many times. Now I'm sure this is a big part of it.

Posts: 72 | From out there.. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingerteacup
Member # 36208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gingerteacup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have it, LLMD diagnosed me. Sea salt with water works very well for me to stop the dizziness and fainting. Doesn't do much for my fatigue though. I know how scary passing out is, so sorry you are suffering from this.
Posts: 29 | From Northeast | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fainting was bartonella in my case. I used to faint and my husband will be there next to me carrying to the ER.

Bartonella treatment stoped it.Than babesia raised its ugly head.bartonella makes you go often to the bathroom and .Maybe bartonella is the one very active at this moment .
babesia can cause dizziness and severe fatigue.

I received many diagnoses from the doctors until I found I had lyme and coinfections.I had two strains of bartonella.
When I looked back I learned that I had bartonella for decades.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horsefly
Member # 34232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for horsefly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow-thanks for the advice both of you. I hadn't thought of sea salt. I had no idea bart caused fainting spells. The problem is I have almost every symptom listed on the checklist so it makes it hard to tell. yea, maybe bartonell is active right now, I never thought of that. Take care.
Posts: 72 | From out there.. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have it too. My LLMD spotted it. It has something to do with the blood pressure being different if you're standing vs. lying down.

My main symptom was an inability to stand without support for more than a minute. I had to lean against something or sit down.

Thermotabs have helped me immensely. They are buffered salt tablets. Bought them on the internet.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Very common with lyme & coinfections.

Any good LLMD should will all about it. Hope you can get to one soon. If your MD does not believe in lyme, that's not going to do you much good.

I used to pass out a couple times a day. It can get better.

CARDIAC, MITOCHONDRIAL & ADRENAL SUPPORT can help. Details below.
---------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=077325;p=0#000000

Topic: To everyone with CARDIAC symptoms please read!

------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT

------------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.google.com/search?q=Borrelia%2C+Dysautonomia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Search Google: Borrelia, Dysautonomia

----------

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/wordpress/dysautonomia-and-lyme-disease/

Jenna�s Lyme Blog: Dysautonomia and Lyme Disease

-------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Borrelia%2C%20Dysautonomia

PubMed Search:

Borrelia, Dysautonomia - 11 abstracts

------------

You say: "My GP doesn't believe in Lyme and wouldn't even bother refering me out." (end quote)

You will likely have to strike out on your own, outside of insurance.
---------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

(What ILADS is) . . . WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor - starting with assessment / evaluation.

-------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
In the meantime, I would start with adrenal & cardiac support. Hawthorn comes to mind first. That is detailed in the Cardiac thread but here's a start:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Hawthorn%2C%20Dysautonomia

PubMed Search:

Hawthorn, Dysautonomia - 5 abstracts
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You probably are clear of additives but, just to be sure:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors
-

Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Licorice or Florinef can help your body to retain salt. Also drink extra water. Try support hose at least 15/20, 20/30, or 30/40.

Even with these measures, I still get light headed while standing or sitting upright.

There is research about the mushroom called "Lion's Mane" that is helping people to heal from nerve damage. I may try that next.

Good luck.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
horsefly
Member # 34232

I'm back. Just saw your posts, so much great information, thanks Keebler, WPinVa & Rivendell. My BP is fine, though a few years ago it used to go down pretty low. And it doesn't drop when I remain standing for a few minutes. Of course i'm dizzy all the time, and have all the sx of Dysautonomia so I'm confused.

My neuro consult a few months ago was 'fine' too. I've had all the regular heart testing minus the cath. No problems. Actually it was my LLMD who sent me to the neuro in the first place.

I'm sorry you all suffer this too, isn't it scary at times? I'm wondering if adding Thermotabs or extra salt with increase my BP? Oh and this also gets worse during my monthly cycle. Are we having fun yet? [Frown]

jackie81
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If onehas dysautonomia will it reslove with lyme traetment? i am asking bc it seems like i have all of the symtpms as well and i seriously dont want to deal with anything that cant be fixed
Posts: 574 | From Out there somewhere | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horsefly,
Just keep in mind that "Dysautonomia"
is a description of a general condition, NOT a specific diagnosis or disease.

From Wiki:
"Dysautonomia (autonomic dysfunction) is a broad term that describes ANY disease or malfunction OF the autonomic nervous system. {capitals mine}

This includes postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST), vasovagal syncope, pure autonomic failure, neurocardiogenic syncope (NCS), neurally mediated hypotension (NMH), orthostatic hypertension, autonomic instability and a number of lesser-known disorders...." {phew!}

Lyme IS one of many pathogenic causes for, or a contributor to, the condition.

Suffering from "dysautonomia"? It deson't explain the cause.
Sort of like saying you suffer from "Tinnitus", which is simply ringing or buzzing in the ears which has no external cause (noise source).

However, tinnitus can be from lack of sleep, a food allery, sinnusitis, middle ear infection... or even a loud firecracker!

You need to find a doc who is willing to get to the Bottom of your situation, if your GP isn't willing, or can't. It's one of those conditions where you shouldn't just treat the symptoms.

You probably do have more going on than just Lyme... one of the co-infections mentioned above, or maybe a virus.
I'd try to find a Lyme-literate neurologist.
I hope you figure it out. Good luck!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement