LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » seizure type symptoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: seizure type symptoms
tmcm
Member # 23249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tmcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife has been on IV meds for the last 18mths, Vanco,Cefotaxamine,Primaxim,and now Penicillin G.

Her worst syptoms are these "spells" her bodys stiffens up, muscles twitch and severe neuro pain.

When they occur, Xanax does help to relief some of the symptoms but they take a heavy toll on her.

She has had almost every test know to man, no abnormal results and the spells have been almost daily for the last 6 months.

She is also now on a low does of Mepron. I am wondering if it isn't Bartonella and if the Mepron/Zithromax IV might not be the way to go to get some relief??

We feel very discouraged and almost running out of options, our LLMD is very good but last appointment he asked us if we had any ideas why she wasn't improving?? I wish we knew!!

Any ideas on anything that might help with the seizure like spells?

Posts: 52 | From Illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm so sorry to hear this. Seizures have educated me a lot over the years.

But, I'm just too tired to detail what has helped me. With leaf blowers coming down the parking lot, I have to go hide under the bed for an hour or so.

Right now best helpers: MAGNESIUM & FISH OIL. HOLY BASIL (herb).

Be sure NO ADDITIVES - at all - in any foods. Avoid even "natural flavors" as they are chemicals and can be MSG.

NO GLUTEN.

NO ADDED Glutamate or Glutamic acid

AVOID ALL FLUORESCENT LIGHTS (use only the old fashioned incandescent bulbs)

MOLD EXPOSURE? CHEMICALS? New furnishings?

Go scent-free through the house.

I'll be back later. Hopefully, others will reply, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Managed to find a set of links for you:
------------------------------------

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/12/1/9.pdf

Alternative Medicine Review, Vol. 12; Number 1, 2007

Natural Approaches to Epilepsy - by Alan R. Gaby, M.D.

-------------------

http://www.drlwilson.com/articles/epilepsy.htm

Epilepsy and Seizures - by Lawrence Wilson, MD � April 2011

-------------------

http://www.vrp.com/brain-health/seizures-a-nutritional-approach

Nutritional Approach to Seizures - by Ward Dean, MD

-------------------

http://www.livestrong.com/article/302297-what-are-the-benefits-of-magnesium-for-epilepsy/

What Are the Benefits of Magnesium for Epilepsy? - by Melissa Lingohr-Smith

Excerpt:

. . . the anticonvulsant effect of magnesium seems to block the activation of certain excitatory receptors in the brain. . . .

- full article at link above.

===============================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/112303?#000018

Topic: Sage Oil gave me seizure
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Is your wife taking good forms of LIVER SUPPORT with specific supplements & detox methods?

MCS ?

http://ciin.org/

CIIN - Chemical Injury Information Network

http://ciin.org/mcs.html

About MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities)

. . . Disorders of Porphyrinopathy . . .

-----------------------------

Has the possibility of Porphyria been addressed?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91842?#000000

Topic: what type of M.D. tests for PORPHYRIA

-----------------------------

MOLD ?

http://ilads.org/ilads_media/lyme-disease-videos/

3/4 of the way down:

Identifying Environmental Illness and Mold Exposure in Patients with Persistent Lyme Disease.

Lisa L. Nagy, MD Video $15.

(She is NOT A LLMD, however, she understands the kind of toxicity issues faced by many with lyme. She did not have lyme but overcame very serious MCS. She spoke at the recent ILADS conference.

It's a great presentation to see. The DVD can be ordered. Great detail about toxicity issues also here:

http://lisanagy.com

Her Web Site

-------------------------------

If you have a GAS FURNACE or STOVE: call a professional to check the lines and all connectors.

Air flush home at least twice a day, a full flush, especially on top levels.

Use Exhaust Fan on stove top just before turning burner on and again just before turning off. Open window when at all possible, too, when stove is on.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
HEAVY METALS? Not sure what her tests show on that but most with lyme also have heavy metal burden that continues throughout treatment.

Specific action is needed as most of the typical supplements cannot address this.

If her LLMD is not well versed in heavy metals treatment or has no referral for that, you might ask your local support group leader and members for suggestions.

===============================

As for possible seizure activity not showing on any of the tests. That is often the case. EEGs miss a lot, especially if deep brain - or if from toxicity issues (that part is my estimation).

As anyone can have a seizure from too many toxins, I'm thinking that those kinds of seizures may not be coming from a place in the brain (though certainly the brain is affected).

- a QEEG is often better than an EEG at finding the kind of seizures that those with chronic fatigue-causing illness encounter.

This is because the fatigue (caused by infection, heavy metals, etc.) causes slow brain waves with spikes -- and that can set up a person for seizures.

Most neurologists just don't accept slow brain wave activity as important. But Myra Preston, Ph.D. has shown that it is, indeed.

And so has my brain. On repeated EEGs that failed and the 3 QEEGs that found the seizure site that sparked from a sensory startle (in my case).

These 3 QEEGs were each done by different professionals over 2 years' time. All the same result. But medical doctors just don't accept this.

QEEGs are not Uusually covered by insurance and usually not done by neurologists. Some psychologists, audiologists, naturopathic doctors use QEEG.

Sure was in my case. Still, there's a lot to sort out and her body is telling her (and you) that something is going on. Now to figure out the way past it.

I'd suggest start searching for: Myra+Preston, QEEG . . . but I just checked and her site is under construction. Other sources I'm not so clear about but she's top notch and has trained several around the country.

SENSORY TRIGGERS?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

---------------------------------

I assume she's been assessed for problem of QT rhythm. Long QT syndrome can look like seizures.

More detail here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read !

Last, I promise, as I try to cover all the bases:

Parasites can cause seizure activity. Parasites often travel with lyme. SOME LLMD address this area, but not all.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=113951;p=0

Parasite Treatments - thread

-------------------------

Adrenal dysfunction goes hand-in-hand with lyme and out-of-whack adrenals can cause seizures. Even if not, seizures are a terrible strain on the whole endocrine system. What helps:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

[ 03-27-2012, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
These can all cause seizures:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors

=================================

Google: Hidden+Sources+of+Gluten

and see:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Gluten%2C%20seizures

PubMed search of medical abstracts:

Gluten, Seizures � 29 abstracts

=================================

Now, if you are not already running screaming to the woods, please know that this can get better.

I feel badly for posting so much but I have spent years having to figure this out for myself. I've made a good deal of headway but, ultimately, your wife may need a better doctor.

Even with as much as I've posted, it's important to know that even the best neurologist in the world does not know all there is about the brain (but, sadly, so many think they do and fail to keep learning).

My guess would be the liver, kidney, skin (as organs of detoxification) are just overwhelmed from infection & treatment.

You mentioned she just started penicillin. Might this be an allergy of sorts?

Even meds that one is used to can cause allergies at later times.

If the meds take too much of a toll, you might consider a RIFE MACHINE.

But, it may be something more simple that can be addressed - like GLUTEN. Maybe changing a few things will be the ticket. Hope so.

I better let you go now. I meant to transition here and offer some lightness. I hope you can all relax somewhat tonight and have some good diversion and healthy escape.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Promise, last one:

If her LLMD has not yet offered her a Glutathione IV, now might be the time. That can help the liver so much better and faster than most other kinds of liver support.

I've never had one but, for many, it helps right away.

IV MAGNESIUM, TAURINE, certain B Vitamins can also help get stores up more quickly.

Not sure if glutathione can be mixed with other ingredients or not.
-

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are correct to suspect bartonella. It does not sound like she has had much treatment for that.

IV zith can be helpful for lyme, but personally I don't think it is all that great for bart.

The best bart meds are the fluroquinolones -- cipro, levaquin or factive. And the best combo is to add rifampin to one of the 3 above meds.

The problem is that generally rifampin and mepron can't be taken together. The rifampin lowers the blood levels of mepron and many other meds.

Important question -- did the spells lessen or were they present while on primaxin? Personally for hubby that med seemed to somewhat control bart seizure-like activity in much the same way that IV rocephin did. Rocephin is supposedly bacteriostatic for bart but not bacteriocidal.

If you want to go the herbal route -- Buhner has been posting a lot of bart info in the last few months. He suggests sida acuta or cryptolepis plus arginine and some other things.

The arginine has been very helpful for hubby. But you can't take that amino acid if you have any of the herpes viruses. The dose hubby takes is 1500 mg 3 times per day on an empty stomach. It dilates blood vessels.

All of Keebler's suggestions are great -- but most of the nutritional supplements are used to control symptoms and what is equally important is to treat the infection.

But if your wife is having seizure-like activity -- even if not true seizures -- then that will depelete many of the nutrients plus the brain needs them to heal. Also "kindling" is a very real issue -- the brain gets into a certain pattern or habit if you will and over time it takes less and less stimulus to cause seizure like activity.

Hubby is off all seizure meds and his bloodslides have not shown bart for about 1 1/2 years. But it took 2 1/2 years of specific bart treatment (about 6 months was very aggressive) to get those results. Hubby had seizure-like spells multiple times daily for about the first 8 years he was sick -- so there is hope for your wife.

I thought I had read that some LLMD's think that vanco treats bart? Hubby only ever had a few doses of that in the hospital so I can't say how he responded to that med.

Can't tell from your comments how long your wife was on each med and at what point these seizure-like spells started. I think the sequence of meds and changes of symptoms needs to be very carefully analyzed to see if that will yield any clues.

Also another important question -- has your wife done any cyst busters -- tindamax or flagyl?

Has your wife had a brain SPECT scan? If not then I would suggest getting one done at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. I can't imagine that test being normal. If it is normal then I think something has definitely been missed diagnosis wise. Note -- it is very very important where such a test is done -- can't stress that enough.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. C. says - Tics may be related to HME (Ehrlichia), Bartonella, Borrelia, or heavy metals. Seizures may be related to HME or Bartonella.

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/257-bioresource-2012-conference (found at very bottom of C's notes)

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm so glad others are speaking to the infection-connection regarding certain Rx.

That's just not my fort� but it's so very important. I was hoping those pieces would come from those more experienced in that area.
-

Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about the glutathione. I had some fainting spells that my doctor believed may have actually been mild seizures (one occurred while I was in the office).

I started glutathione and they immediately stopped and so far have not returned. They occurred while I was having liver enzyme issues and I was told that sometimes liver issues can cause "head symptoms" like these.

The IV glutathione (which was mixed with other vitamins and components) lowered my liver enzymes very quickly when other methods were not working and they were continuing to rise. It may be worth a shot if you are able to get it.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmcm
Member # 23249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tmcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thank you for all the information, certainlly a lot to take an and review!

She has been on IV Pennicillin G for over 5mths now and thinking back, I would say the spells have gotten worse.

I have a gut feeling that she is under a tremendous toxic load and is having extreme difficulty detoxing so the adding of IV glutathione might help.

We have a call today with her LLMD to talk about how we can work to control these spells of hers.

Thanks again for all the info to review, this disease is soo overwhelming and I appreciate the support.

I will let you know after our LLMD call today how we start to move forward.

Posts: 52 | From Illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my glutathione.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't write much, but wanted to tell you that for me, the need for detox has been hugely related to seizure activity. Huge. I'm sorry you and your wife are going through this -- I know how trying it can be.

I would encourage you to go very heavy on the detox. This is something many LLMDs do not adequately inform patients about. But, it's hugely important.

Magnesium may be helpful at all for support.

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmcm
Member # 23249

Had a conf call with the Dr and he indicated that seizures are very common with his patients and recommended the following:

Stop IV penicillin G, and Mepron

Move to IV Rifampin and try a few doeses of IV gluthanione.

I have felt for a very long time that the DETOX is such a problem for her and I have some difficulty getting her to to take any more pills. Most days she is bed ridden and only functional for 3-4 hours.

I have found a topical magnesium spray (found in a post on this site) to try. Are there any other good topical detox products?

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burbur and Parsley drops from Nutramedix mixed in small amount of water.

I also hear Pekana drops are good.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to buy bunches of parsley and just let hubby munch on them. He did think it was helpful. Much cheaper than the brand name drops.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmcm
Member # 23249

UPDATE: So my wife has been off all meds for the last 4 day and has felt a bit beter than in the past.

Her spells were 3-4 day and now 1-2, she was acutally able to go out to dinner and a movie yesterday.

My gut just tells me to take some more time off the meds and really focus on detoxing! Give the body a chance to recover.

I don't think we will lose much ground since it is a slow growing bacteria.

This is such a difficult thing to fully understand and what the right course of action really is!

tmcm
Member # 23249

Dr started her on IV Rifampin 150mg BID, and on day 3 horrible herx, severe pain, weakness and swelling in the abdomen. She now doesn't have the will to continue to work thru it and has asked to discontinue the Rifampin now.

I am going to try and work with her PC doctor to get her the gluthanoine and possibly IV magnesium to see if we can build her strenght back to take another run at the Rifampin in 30 days or so and just now foucus on DETOX.

She is losing hope, which I think is very dangerous and I have to admit, after 2 years of IV meds, we are not that much improved from when we started and I am not as optimistic as I once was.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
tmcm,

I am so very sorry to hear this for your wife, and for yourself.

For myself, andrographis helped the most to curtail seizures. But, it's not for everyone as some can get worse with it. It just is so very nice for me, though, not the entire golden ticket.

Though, probably, a better bet: ALLICIN CAPSULES (Zhang protocol).

Will post links for Buhner, and Zhang. Two different protocols that I think are the next logical step.

I did very well with the allicin protocol (but just did not have funds to continue).

or RIFE MACHINE (liver support is still vital with rife treatments)
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
First:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures;

Knowing that support supplements are important, but NEVER enough alone. And knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL links, and

BODY WORK links with safety tailored to lyme patients,

RIFE links,

BIONIC 880 (& PE-1) links, and

LOW HEAT INFRARED SAUNA detail.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Book: Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

Website: http://planetthrive.com/2009/08/buhner-healing-lyme-program/

Forum: http://planetthrive.com/category/experts/buhner/

-----------------------

http://www.gaianstudies.org/Lyme.html

Buhner�s recommendations for professionals familiar with his work. Scroll down for list.

=========================

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

------------------------------
RIFE MACHINE resources
------------------------------

http://www.lymebook.com/lyme-disease-rife-machines-bryan-rosner

Book: Lyme Disease and Rife Machines by Bryan Rosner

[A MUST-HAVE book, IMO. It's just not safe to proceed until having read this, I think it's that important.]

-------

http://www.youtube.com

Do a cross search for videos at YouTube for: Rosner, Rife � and for Rife, Lyme

==========================

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Rife/

Lyme-Rife group on Yahoo

===========================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/88778

RIFE Support Discussion Thread here on LymeNet

==========================

MDs are not allowed to introduce the subject of rife. But, if you ask, they can share what they may have heard from patients, etc.

Many LL complementary practitioners incorporate RIFE. You might be able to find one near you or through links here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS educated LL professional in complementary fields (naturopathic, acupuncture, etc.)

Also includes article and book links by all kinds of LL authors - and information about herbal and nutritional supplements.

Bionic 880 links, too. (Not rife but still a much different approach that has been very helpful for some.)

===============================================

Sylver's book is very detailed. It is not at all just about lyme, though, as is Rosner's book linked above.

http://www.lymebook.com/rifehandbook?gclid=CJ6E-Irj86wCFQhbhwodvSlwSg

Revised 2011 - hardcover or e-book (reduced price for "ebook")

THE RIFE HANDBOOK OF FREQUENCY THERAPY

with a Holistic Health Primer

- by Nenah Sylver, PhD

DVD is also available of author�s presentation at the Rife Conference.
-

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll go back and read everbody else's post in a while..but for now

Magnesium shots in deep butt muscle X's 3 a week maybe more...and

I remember Mandy from UOS movie, saying in a different interview something about her's ,and help for it.
does she have a site????

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Magnesium alone in a shot is very painful.

To keep the magnesium shots from burning, and so painfully so, ADD B-12 to the syringe.

The magnesium & B-12 shots really helped me. 1cc magnesium & 1 cc B-12.

Nonna,

Pretty sure Mandy from UOS does not have a site but you could search through the home page for UOS.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement