LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Biltricide! After effects. OMG!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biltricide! After effects. OMG!
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Help!

My 18 yo daughter took 6 Biltricde tablets over a 2 day period. She was advised to have a colonic during the treatment to help her with any after effects.

She's flat on her back! She is soooo sick!

Took it Weds/Thurs, had the colonic on Thursday.

Was going to go back for a 2nd colonic on Friday. Got to the place, and she just couldn't do it.

Back home. Now, I am having to feed her, brush her teeth etc... She can hardly walk.

She says it feels like all of her muscles are made of Silly Putty. She says she has a pain running from the back of her head to the front of her head, and it's very severe. Then to top it all off, she says it feels like her brain is in a dishwasher swooshing all around.

We go to an LLND who does Muscle Testing, and all supplements and meds are muscle tested and she tested for everything.

We are beginning year 3 of treatment, and she is just as sick as she was on day 1. I am so frustrated, and feeling really hopeless.

To top it all off, tomorrow is the first day of the new quarter at college, and it doesn't look like she'll be getting out of bed anytime soon.

Part of me says that if she reacted like this, then she must have needed the treatment, that it was just too much, too large of a dose. The other part of my brain is beating myself up for giving it to her in the first place, knowing what I know about how she reacts to anything.

If she can't treat parasites, how is she going to get well? Feeling a bit lost.

Has anyone else reacted like this to Biltricde or parasite treatment? What does it mean?

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you should call the doctor who prescribed the Biltricide. It could be that she can't metabolize it well and needs a lower dose-- or a different med. I think docs watch the liver enzymes with Biltricide.

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry she is so ill. It's awful... Sometime we really have to go slow & ramp it up. I started off with herbs & it took me about 2 years to get into any drugs for parasites.

You should stop the drugs for now. If she doesn't feel better - you may need to get her some emergency care. I don't know if the hospital will know what to do since they don't deal with parasites much. If you can hold off - do, but if she gets really ill you may need to see a doctor.

I got extremely ill but I didn't want to see any doctors. It passed eventually but it was pretty bad. I couldn't walk for about 10 days at the worst. I had very bad pain in my liver area.

I figured the only way out was through - so, I did some further cleansing. I didn't take any drugs, though. Parasites can be like he[[ on earth.

I'm not sure what to say but make sure she gets enough water & fluids. Binders may help - like psylium, clay, charcoal, chlorella.

All the best to you.

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praziquantel

FYI -

Mode of action

Although the mode of action is not exactly known at present, there is experimental evidence that praziquantel increases the permeability of the membranes of schistosome cells towards calcium ions.

The drug thereby induces contraction of the parasites, resulting in paralysis in the contracted state. The dying parasites are dislodged from their site of action in the host organism and may enter systemic circulation or may be destroyed by host immune reaction (phagocytosis).

Additional mechanisms including focal disintegrations and disturbances of oviposition (laying of eggs) are seen in other types of sensitive parasites.

Another hypothesis concerning the mechanism of action of praziquantel has been recently reported. The drug seems to interfere with adenosine uptake in cultured worms.

This effect may have therapeutical relevance given that the schistosome, as the taenia and the echinococcus (other praziquantel sensitive parasites), is unable to synthesize purines such as adenosine de novo.

Bayer's Animal Health Division website states, "Praziquantel is active against cestodes (tapeworms). Praziquantel is absorbed, metabolized in the liver and excreted in the bile.

Upon entering the digestive tract from the bile, cestocidal activity is exhibited. Following exposure to praziquantel, the tapeworm loses its ability to resist digestion by the mammalian host.

Because of this, whole tapeworms, including the scolices, are very rarely passed after administration of praziquantel. In many instances only disintegrated and partially digested pieces of tapeworms will be seen in the stool.

The majority of tapeworms are digested and are not found in the feces."[7]
[edit]

Side effects

The majority of side effects develop due to the release of the contents of the parasites as they are killed and the consequent host immune reaction.

The heavier the parasite burden, the heavier and more frequent the side effects normally are.

Central nervous system:

Frequently occurring side effects are dizziness, headache, and malaise. Drowsiness, somnolence, fatigue, and vertigo have also been seen. Almost all patients with cerebral cysticercosis experience CNS side effects related to the cell-death of the parasites (headache, worsening of pre-existing neurological problems, seizures, arachnoiditis, and meningism).

-----

These side effects may be life-threatening and can be reduced by coadministration of corticosteroids. It is strongly recommended that all patients with cerebral cysticercosis are hospitalized during treatment.

-----

GI Tract:

Approximately 90% of all patients have abdominal pain or cramps with or without nausea and vomiting.

Diarrhea may develop and may be severe with colic. Sweating, fever, and sometimes bloody stools may occur together with diarrhea.

Liver:

Asymptomatic and transient increases of liver enzymes (AST and ALT) are noted frequently (up to 27%). No case of symptomatic liver damage has ever been seen so far.

Sensitivity reactions:

Urticaria, rash, pruritus and eosinophilia in white blood cell counts

Other locations/body as a whole:

Lower back pain, myalgia, arthralgia, fever, sweating, various cardiac arrhythmias, and hypotension

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMom Kellye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMom Kellye   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's better now. Now she is just in excrucitating pain, which she is used to.

She's having another colonic this week, and we see the LLND next week.

Hopefully we can tweek the protocol somewhat before it's time to do the Biltricide again.

Thanks for the input!

Posts: 333 | From Lyme Here Too | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you have to go about this slowly. It doesn't help to overdo it. It took me 2 years... Parasites are very toxic.

Maybe, go to some kind of pain management doctor...? Having chronic pain can really wear you down.

Good luck!

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried biltricide and it just about killed me. I was sooooo sick on it. About the sickest I've ever been.

My LLMD heard at a conference that biltricide might be a cyst buster. I have no idea if that theory has ever been explored to a conclusion of any kind.

Turns out I had a LOT of parasites because my liver swelled up and I could hardly walk once I started albenza.

Several medical practioners have told me that when parasites die they release mold, heavy metals and viruses. Having something on board to deal with those might be very imporant for her.

I would think she should be going MUCH slower until the load is down a bit.

I feel for you and your daughter and hope that she starts to recover soon. Her muscle testing doctor should be able to get her some relief. I'd call and ask for help right away.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've learned that even if something muscle tests well at a certain dose, it is best to start extremely slowly, with a MUCH smaller dose than that which muscle testing says is ideal, and to work up incrementally from there. this is just my experience, having seen ART practitioners on and off for over four years.

i hope she feels better soon.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeforhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeforhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just took a half dose of ivermevtin for 3 days on day 4 I had a similar experience as your daughter. I was in bed for 3 days.

I hope its a sign that I have finally found the right path and if i can treat the parasites i can get well.

I hae seen many parasites from humaworm and 2 other rx's. Has your daughter seen parasites exiting her body?

My doc mentioned bitricide....said it is a tough one to tolerate.

For me the worst part is not knowing if it is a drug reaction or a herx.

If it a herx and I am going to improve than I'll tolerate it.

i hope she is feeling better, I am feeling much better today

Posts: 199 | From Niagara Falls | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I spent almost 2 years using the herbal products for parasites before I tried the drugs. I guess it turned out to be a good thing. The drugs were effective but I didn't have a huge die-off.

Others may want to do something similar? When I first tried Parastroy - It was pretty severe. I had to ramp it up slowly over time. It's hard to be patient when there are parasites. It's an ugly thought to think that these things are inside one's body...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement