LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ankylosing spondylitis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ankylosing spondylitis
kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My orthopedic doctor told me today that he is almost certain that this is what I have. I can't believe it. He wants me to get in with a rheumotalogist. Even if I for sure have it, I don't want to take the immunosuppresive drugs. They scare me.

I have an appt. with a LLMD in July, and I have my kit to get my test done through Advanced Labs for the new culture test. I just haven't had the money to do it.

I have made the decision to go to a naturopath that comes highly recommended to see if he can help me.

I feel so hopeless. My daughter is struggling with many issues related to lyme and I just don't know if I can handle anything else!

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin has been dxd with AS .. she also had Lyme and was treated. She is not on any immunosuppressant drugs.

So are you saying you don't know if you have Lyme or not?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been tested because we spend all of our money on our daughter.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out The Road Back Foundation. They advocate low dose antibiotics to treat AS as well as the other rheumatic illnesses.

It could tie right into lyme treatment very nicely.

This treatment is based on an infectious cause of rheumatic illness.

You don't have to take immune suppressants. Get to a doc who believes in antibiotic therapy instead. You can GET RID of this with antibiotics. You can't get rid of it with conventional treatment.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get the basic Western Blot for around $200... my ins reimbursed me 80%.**

I agree with TF on treatment.

**or try Lab Corp first.. it may come back positive

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to www.kickas.org

This site is dedicated to research, education and support.

Be sure to read the Molecular Mimicry section. It makes a case for Klebsiella bacteria as the underlying cause of AS.

When I mentioned this to my LLND, she said the Klebsiella-AS connection was widely accepted in medicine, but patients don't always respond to antibiotics. Gee, I wonder why not? Are they treated with more than a 10 day course of a single antibiotic? I doubt it.

AS can also be controlled through diet. All the info is on the site.

Please don't stress. Doctors often grasp at straws with our population. You may not even have AS. If you do, it's likely just another microbe in your mix.

Be strong!

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son is HLA B27 positive and had terrible spine pain but no confirmed diagnosis, just ER. All of it cleared up with Lyme treatment.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw that you were diagnosed by an Ortho.

If he is basing the dx on your pain pattern, please know that Babesia causes symptoms similar to AS - especially the hip, SI, mid-back and neck pain.

AS was suggested to me during my own Medical Mystery Tour. It was really Babesia.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Thank you everybody!! I am going to the doctor today, and I am going to ask her if she will do the Klebisiella test(if their is one.)

I feel very sure that this can be dealt with and cured if I can find the right doctor.

I have the order to do a bunch of bloodwork to confirm if I have it. I also have an appt. with a naturopath who uses some type of machine to diagnose what is going on in my body.

Interesting about the babesia, Boxermom. I will have to just keep searching for answers as I am financially able.

--------------------

amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you share your symptoms, please? I have a lot of weakness and pain in SI Joints, and have wondered about AS.
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amk33 sounds like we have the exact same symptoms. Wondering about this as well.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've strongly believed for a long time that I have AS. And, a few years ago I came up positive on a stool test for Klebsiella so I'm a firm believer that is the cause.

I agree that treating the Klebsiella and modifying diet are the way to go.

BTW, the stool test I did was something an integrative doc ordered so don't know if your doc will order it. I think it was Genova but can't remember exactly.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've strongly believed for a long time that I have AS. And, a few years ago I came up positive on a stool test for Klebsiella so I'm a firm believer that is the cause.

I agree that treating the Klebsiella and modifying diet are the way to go.

BTW, the stool test I did was something an integrative doc ordered so don't know if your doc will order it. I think it was Genova but can't remember exactly.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is it ,or does it do......this is a new one to me , not that I need to add to the list... Could it have had anything to do with what happened to Sammy????
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Questions... really.. Can one have this AS and have say FL1953 too. OR does our infections cause AS??

I just read the symptoms of AS and it fits me to a T ..... I'm in shock.

I have wondered what this pain in my hips, then neck, then lower back have been from. It's always at night and morning. During the day I'm fine.

I see my llmd in July and hm... will ask him for sure. And.. he's the one that believes in low fat diet, so I'll look up the link for the diet for this AS.

Very interesting. Even down to the eye issues. I have that on and off for years, one eye. And always am anemic.

Of course all of these symptoms can be from these vector borne diseases... but hmmm...

Thanks for posting this.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I believe the infections cause it. It's an inflammatory reaction. (auto-immune, if you will)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kidsgotlyme,

My son had lower back pain, costochodritis and enthesitis, all big markers for AS. He is also hLA b27 positive. We have a huge family history of arthritis, b27, and Crohn's.

My son has done extremely well on antibiotic protocols and lyme treatment from an LLMD who is a rheumatologist.

I don't know where you live, but she is excellent and recommended both here and on Roadback.org.

PM me if you want her name.

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may be able to reduce the inflammation and pain of this condition with systemic enzyme therapy.

Systemic Enzymes vs. NSAIDs for Pain & Inflammation
Clinical Results � Ankylosing Spondylitis
http://www.transformyourhealth.com/webnewsletters/may10/wobenzymarticle.htm

Quote:
Reports have been made concerning the positive influence of oral enzymes on ankylosing spondylitis.
In 1980, Dr. H. Reinbold reported of his astonishing 35-year-old patient with the condition whose complete remission had persisted for at least 12 years.

You can google for ankylosing spondylitis + systemic enzymes.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

And Norman Cousins beat it with LAUGHTER. NO JOKE!

His book is titled Anatomy of an Illness.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

You guys are a wealth of knowledge!!

My symptoms are: extreme hip pain for I don't know how long. It just kept getting worse and worse since the beginning of the year.

My mid-back feels like a knife is being stuck through it. My ribs hurt a lot too. The chiro keeps telling me I have ribs out of alignment.

I started physical therapy for my hip in April. The pain kept getting worse instead of better. I also have pretty bad knee pain.

I went to the ortho and he ordered an MRI of the hip. I mentioned that my back was hurting and he said he would check it at my next visit.

I went in on Tuesday. They x-rayed my back and I have bone spurs all over my T-spine. That, combined with my hip issues,(the mri didn't show anything) has led him to think it's AS.

Also, I went for my physcial today. They had drawn bloodwork several weeks ago. A couple of the tests that the ortho wants me to have done before my rheumatologist appt had already been done. The CRP came back elevated which is a marker for muscle enzymes being affected.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Just hope you can get some help!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lymetoo:
[QB] And Norman Cousins beat it with LAUGHTER. NO JOKE!

True, and high Vit C also. They had to move him out of the hospital room because his laughing was disturbing other patients. I think he was watching Marx Bros movies. How 'bout that for an RX?!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

manybites, where did you get this information?
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Low Dose Naltrexone is used to treat this, and also is used to help with Lyme Disease.

www.lowdosenaltrexone.org

The alternative method that has been used is specific frequencies that break up the calcification in the spine over time. Frequency treatments can also be used for Lyme Disease.

Good Luck

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

THANK YOU!!!

I have the name of a LLMD that I am going to make an appt. for. In the meantime, I have an appt. with someone close to home that knows about lyme and all that goes with it. I see him in July.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:
And Norman Cousins beat it with LAUGHTER. NO JOKE!

True, and high Vit C also. They had to move him out of the hospital room because his laughing was disturbing other patients. I think he was watching Marx Bros movies. How 'bout that for an RX?!

-Wasn't there a movie too?

kidsgotlyme... GOOD JOB!!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement