LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why get an MRI?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why get an MRI?
Summer3
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD wants me to think about getting an MRI but I'm not sure I fully understand the point in doing one.

If I had white lesions, what would be done about it anyway? What would be the point in knowing?

Do all people with neuro Lyme have white lesions show up? Is it possible to have neurological symptoms and no lesions?

I am worried that if I have an MRI done, my insurance company will use the findings as a reason to deny Lyme treatment coverage stating that I have MS or some other type of condition. Is there any benefit to an MRI?

I am not concerned about ruling out other conditions anymore. I have had lots of tests and nothing abnormal shows up except for Lyme and Co. So I'm confident in that diagnosis.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Pros:

Your LLMD could have visual proof for the need to treat you if he or she is called on to defend that. If that is not of concern here, I would not do the MRI unless you have other questions that only that could help solve.

It could also serve as a comparison to measure an MRI at this point to another MRI.

It could also help you obtain insurance coverage, though, maybe not exactly as desired though that could be possible.

You could have a better idea if there are particular places in the brain that are "stressed" or affected - help you better understand symptoms and allow your treatment can be more specifically tailored.

If other things, or even the white spots or lesions show, that could help confirm neurological involvement if you need to obtain or continue any kind of disability coverage.

Still, many white spots are simply dismissed or not even seen by some radiologists (the doctors who "read" the scans). If possible, ask your LLMD for an MRI center where a LL radiologist might be on staff.

Cons:

If the contrast dye that helps them see the scan better is used, that IV solution can stress the kidneys. Homework required beforehand.

Not good for anyone with kidney issues. But, with some specific nutritional measures, the kidneys could be supported before and after.

If clear, yes, the insurance company could use it to say "see, all's fine." What they don't know is that a person who is severely ill with lyme could have a clear MRI.

The MRI can't distinguish between the CAUSE of white spots and most non-LL radiologists often miss important clues. If done, your LLMD should also be able to see the actual "films" or computer visual scans, not just the written report.

Don't worry about any regular radiologist determining that anything on any MRI is lyme. That would be beyond rare. A MRI can't diagnosis lyme (or really even "MS"). It would just show things that may be suggestive of "MS" - there are other elements to any diagnosis.

NOISE and, IMO, hearing damage - even with ear plugs or the special kind of hear muffs designed for MRI use (which only some place have on hand).

Remember that when on certain Rx, hearing damage can occur at much lower decibels than normal. Ear plugs and protective muffs can do only so much.

Sound and the violent vibration of the MRI that some can experience (especially for those with inner ear or middle ear issues), travels through all the bones in the body - and through the nasal passages.

If you get on, be sure the MRI center has those special ear muff protector but also wear ear plugs.

I don't know if this might be possible, but if they have dense mat that you could lie on, it might help stop some of the vibration from the machine into your body. Some.

---------------

A "Functional MRI" might be better for purposes of lyme and showing cognitive processing issues.

A SPECT SCAN or a PET may be better in other regards,

especially to identify HYPOPERFUSION (common with lyme). No noise but an IV solution has to be used. That would need some homework but most say they do fine.

----------------------
Just thoughts off the top of my head. My hearing has taken tremendous hits with MRI. But some folks barely notice the intense noise and vibration.

For myself, I could be dying and I would not want another MRI, ever. My ears and tender brain tissue just can't take that kind of hit.

But my reaction is, indeed, at the far end of that scale. I'd just hate to see anyone else unnecessarily clobbered, especially since some kinds of hearing damage can take years to materialize.
-

[ 06-02-2012, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For details on the special MRI ear muffs - and other things that could help protect ears before and after:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS & SCD - Superior canal dehiscence
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have MS and Lyme. My LLMD isn't sure if the Lyme caused the MS or not, BUT I do have MS. I believe the Lyme came first. I was "diagnosed" with MS about 14 years ago via an MRI. Keebler is right, they can't diagnose it with the MRI, but if there are lesions and you are having symptoms associated with "MS" they call it probable MS and put you on one of the disease-modifying agents. I am on Copaxone. Statistically, that med slows down the demylination - NO MATTER WHAT IS CAUSING IT. So it seems to me that as I am trying to get rid of the Lyme, if I can slow down the brain damage so I don't end up with Alzheimer's like my mom, I'll do it. I have told her for years that i believe she has what I have, which made no impression on her.

SO - an MRI can be helpful, even if you are "diagnosed" with MS, because it can get you treatment for the progressive demylination, if they see it. The drugs are expensive, my insurance covers part of it, and the drug company has a program where they pick up my co-pay. IMO it's worth every penny.

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as Lyme goes, do the Lesions / demylination go away with treatment?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an MRI because my pituitary wasn't functioning and the MRI showed lesions in the white matter of my brain. The good news is that after a year of antibiotic therapy, the lesions were gone with the next MRI (to see if anything had changed over that year.)Like me, you might be able to treat and show improvement. Just a thought.
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the responses. For me the severe symptoms came immediately after several known tick bites a rash, and a very strong off season flu. So I am 100% sure it is being caused by Lyme or a co-infection.

I'm not sure if I will get an MRI or not. If it's to provide evidence for the doctor to avoid consequences for treating it, that's one thing. However, I think that knowing I have white matter lesions is not going to be a positive thing for me psychologically. It likely won't affect how I choose to treat my symptoms.

--------------------

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't do it if it involves the contrast. Who needs the chemicals??

I've never had a brain MRI. I'm afraid they wouldn't find anything there! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Another thing that was mentioned is that an MRI may make it easier to be authorized for IV treatment.

Does anyone know how so? Would it make it likely to be approved for longer than the standard month of IV's? IV's are something I didn't want to do either, but with the more severe neuro stuff (seizures, paralysis) I am starting to consider it.

--------------------

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an MRI in '04 with amazing results...my continuous headache just STOPPED!

It was an open MRI.
I wore my own earplugs and meditated.
The noise wasn't too bad, it was like a deep harmonic vibration.

However, the headaches began coming back about five or six weeks after the MRI, and in a couple months they were as bad as before.

I've read of people whose depression lifted after an MRI.
It has something to do with the magnets.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a couple things:

-my primary said you need to have 3 specific pos results on diff tests to be pos for ms...one is the mri...i cant remember the others

-keeb said an mri could give your doc visual proof to tx

but i dont think all docs agree on what lyme looks like in an mri

i just had one done---there were major white matter changes that the radiologits said suspected lyme. but the neuro said no way it was lyme....

i absolutely would not have the chemicles thos...gad...something. when i researched for my own mri i found many who had major problems with that

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I wouldn't do it if it involves the contrast. Who needs the chemicals??

I'm going to have one soon - without the chemicals.
Can one distinguish between beginning Alzheimers and Lyme-induced inflammation?

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had one with and without contrast. Both showed a dozen lesions, but have been told by neurologists its "inconclusive"

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OtterJ, wow, I had the exact same scenario. Had MRI to rule in or rule out a pituitary tumor. Found something else instead. I've never had a follow-up MRI though.
Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Kadee,

You ask: "Can [MRI] distinguish between beginning Alzheimers and Lyme-induced inflammation?"

No. It cannot.

I also doubt that it is capable of showing much at all about "Alzheimer's" and, besides, that can be from lyme or other chronic stealth infection, anyway - so focus on treating lyme and all that goes with it.

Be sure your LLMD suggests the place to have your MRI done. And be sure your LLMD gets the full pictures, not just the written report.

Don't expect a lot to be revealed. An MRI just can't show everything we think it can. But, if there are some structural abnormalities, it can be helpful detail.

If you want more insight about the connection between lyme and alzheimer's see the work of Alan MacDonald.

Back with a link in a minute.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I think there can be many different causes & influences of Alzheimer�s disease.

However, borrelia certainly seems to be a prime suspect. The work of Dr. Alan MacDonald in this area has been brilliant.

-------------------------------------

http://www.molecularalzheimer.org/

Molecular Alzheimer.org

Many images presented on this site hold copyrights - by other authors , and other publishers and by Alan B. MacDonald, MD

The Research support has been provided by: Turn the Corner Foundation, New York, NY;

and St Catherine of Siena Medical Center, Smithtown, New York

================================

http://www.ilads.org/search/search.php?zoom_sort=0&zoom_query=MacDonald&zoom_per_page=20&zoom_and=0

Search at ILADS for �MacDonald� - 13 results

================================

http://www.underourskin.com/

Documentary "UNDER OUR SKIN" in which Dr. MacDonald was one of many doctors interviewed about lyme & tick-borne disease.

Sadly, a bad turn of his health required him to fully resign, leaving his research behind for others to carry on.

http://www.underourskin.com/characters

� down, you can see a bit of background for Dr. MacDonald�s work. ( His �research into Lyme disease began over 25 years ago . . .�).

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=Under+Our+Skin&st=0&fs=

HULU - Under Our Skin links to film and trailers.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Web Search:

What can an MRI show?
-

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keeb---my neurol was very clear about my mri not showing alzeimers or tumor...but there were many white matter changes. i'm not saying he was right or that i like him...his answer to why it coldnt be lyme was cuz i couldnt have lyme cuz i had had so many abx already

but he did seem very clear about the alzeimers...

its so hard when the docs dont agree...

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

i just did the search"what can an mri show" and it didnt mention lyme anywhere. it also didnt mention cholesterol blockages which is what my neurol is saying mine is...since he is so sure it isnt lyme

it also says you can dx ms with one...but as i said b4 my pcp said you needed 3 tests for that...mri, spinal tap and one more-forget whaat

theres so much info out there and no oway to know what is true-anyone can say anything now

--------------------

RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by my llmd that mine were due to the lyme but a neuro at lahey said it was from high blood pressure.

My primary doesn't believe it's from high blood pressure nor does my cardiologist.

I don't know if high blood pressure can cause scarring but I didn't have high blood pressure till way after I was diagnosed.

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement