LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any copyright restrictions for quotes from Burrascanos Guidelines?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any copyright restrictions for quotes from Burrascanos Guidelines?
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see quotes all over the place from the famous guidelines.
Do I need special permission to quote a whole chapter in a (German) lyme forum due to copyright?

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's public information, and if you're just quoteing the info on a public forum, I don't see how that would be a problem.

Perhaps if you were writing a book and took the words and put them down as your own material that you wrote, then it could be a problem known as plagerism. Make sense?

Keebler being the journalist here would know for sure. Hopefully she will see this.
Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Burranscano's guidelines do have the regular copyright so - then - NO - you cannot post full chapters without his permission.

Actually, it's impossible to copy and paste his pages. The pdf does not allow that. You can retype a phrase or two, though.

Technically, copyright laws limit excerpts posted anywhere else (even on websites) to a reasonable number of phrases of a reasonable length, always giving the author credit.

[Here, since we can't post actively working LLMDs names, we have to suffice with just the link so that the reader can immediately identify the author (it's the law). Burranscano does not have an active practice, though, so his name is used openly here with his links.]

My thought of "reasonable length" would be a few short paragraphs, total. See the next post for clarification.

Here's a good basic formula to post:

Link

Title (with date or edition)

Author

Key Excerpts

. . . indicates a jump in text . . . .

==========================

This is generally how I post Dr. B's set. If this format works for your purposes, you can just copy and paste the set.

If there is a specific phrase that answer's someone's question, I may retype that exactly, word for word and insert that, noting the page number.

----------

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------------------
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

�� Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease ��

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/reference/article.php/3472671/Copyright-Questions-and-Answers.htm

Copyright Questions and Answers

-By Joe Burns

=============================

Generally, the copyright law for the country of the author stand. However, if posting on one's site in another country, that set may also need consideration.

If this would be for YOUR own website, legal consult is best to set up your own rules of operation.

http://www.copyright.gov/laws/

United States Copyright Law & Policy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_Germany

Copyright Law of Germany
-

[ 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
kadee,

Now, after all that, if you want to copy more, you can contact the author for permission and he may very well be happy to help. He may also have translations in various languages (since you say this is for a German website).

Not sure exactly how to do that but you'd start here:

www.ilads.org

ILADS
-

kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot, Keebler. Very informative - as usual [Smile]
So I better stick to short quotes.

quote:
Actually, it's impossible to copy and paste his pages. The pdf does not allow that. You can retype a phrase or two, though.
The pdf does allow me to copy btw.

quote:
.. pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.
These were the notes I would have liked to show to the public (we have a German translation)
Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
To be sure something is literally not lost in translation, be sure that the German translation has been approved by the author, himself.

Hmmm. I'm not sure why I can't copy & paste from a pdf and you can. That puzzles me but then so does so much about computers. Still, the copyright stands.

For a list, you could probably do a bit of a list but be sure to direct the reader to the link for the work in its entirety.

I would bet that he might give permission for certain longer excerpts. But you'd need that first.

Good luck with this. It's great to see education win out so we don't have to be in the dark.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Funny, it just occurred to me that even my posting name here may break copyright law.

In my dizzy state when I was looking for a cute name, I just thought how I'd like to live in a little cottage tree house like a Keebler.

I had in mind those cute little elves from cartoons. Later, I realized they were not at all from cartoons but from TV commercials for a brand of cookies, Keebler cookies.

I've been gluten free for decades I don't eat cookies. But even before that, I really never ate packaged cookies so just didn't think about it.

I've not been served any notice to change my posting name, though, so I've probably just evaded the cookie guys.

I've not been in a grocery store for years so don't even know if they still make this. Just now Googling, I see in fact they do and it is a registered trademark. That R in the circle says it all. Ooops.

Keebler� cookies

Still, since it's best for those dealing with lyme to be gluten-free & sugar-free (and low glycemic),

it's probably also best to just zoom right past the cookie connection and right on to a vision of that cute little cottage and cheery forest elves.

I'm thinking my little forest cottage would also have a swimming pond.
-

Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
Hmmm. I'm not sure why I can't copy & paste from a pdf and you can. That puzzles me but then so does so much about computers.-

Probably has something to do with the version of Acrobat Reader you have on your computer. Older versions did not have a copy/paste feature, but the latest versions (I think starting with version 8) do...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I copy and paste all kinds of things. It's just pdf stuff that won't. I assumed certain authors set up their work on purpose that way for their protection against getting their words lifted. Dr. K's work in pdf also won't copy and paste - for me.

When I try, because the cursor appears on a pdf only as little hand, the page just moves. It won't highlight.

Just a few weeks ago, I downloaded (or so I thought) the Acrobat update when the computer asked me if I wanted it. I don't know how on this computer to find out what version I have, though.

But this is a very old notebook, given to me when my computer died by a friend of a friend. It's very basic (or rather I can only to the very basics) but it works okay for the basics.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I think every computer should last a life-time but it seems they are out of date and fry all too soon.
-

Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I downloaded the guidelines to my computer and can copy/paste no problem.

To find the version of Adobe Acrobat Reader you have, go to the Help menu and choose About Adobe Reader...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I have no idea how to download a file, other than the link on a word page. I just can't think beyond that.

I don't even know where the "help menu" is - seriously - my brain is wired for my old macs. I barely do the basics on a PC. It's just so different and seems more complicated.

Next time a friend comes over who knows how to do this, I'll ask them to show me.

Thanks a bunch for the details, though.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement