LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » extreme pain issues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: extreme pain issues
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped my abx 3dys ago due tosome herxing. We were leaving for vacation and I was hoping to feel good.

Unfortunately that has not been the case. A 4hr car ride along with alot of walking and numerous trips up and down 5 flights of stairs has resulted in my having severe muscle and nerve pains in my legs and lower back. Im having nerve pain in my face and my eye has begun twitching.

My arm muscles are throbbing as well. I know Im not herxing due to stopping the meds so would exertion cause all these symptoms possibly. My vision has been blurry as well.

I am currentlyusing the mag sr and i have upped it to 3 twice a day with no relief. Im wondering if i need another type of magnesium as the milligrams are very low in the SR.

I stopped in at an herbal place and they made me up a mixture of Cats Claw, Astragulus,Nettle, Oatstraw, Indian Sarsaparilla and peppermint. I will havve to wait till I get home to usse this but they assured me this was safe to use with my abx, mepron, zith, and bicillin. I hope they are right.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the Buhner protocol, you shouldn't take Astragalus if you have chronic Lyme.

Are you just diagnosed or are you chronic?

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imreally unsure. I was diagnosed in January but my LLNP feels i may have had it a long time based on my CD57 which was less than 20. So now Im nervous about using it.
Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's true that, normally - alone - astragalus can be too stimulating to an already overwhelmed immune system for someone with chronic lyme.

Since you've been posted for 6 months, I assume you've been dealing at least that long so it's not a brand new case.

However, it depends upon the dose and the other herbs used -- if they offer BALANCE.

I'm not an herbalist but have used and self-studied for my own efforts - and paid attention to various naturopathic doctors over 20 years --

- so I'll just say that with the combination of:

"Cats Claw, Astragulus, Nettle, Oatstraw, Indian Sarsaparilla and peppermint"

You may do fine with this. Cat's Claw is very calming to the nervous system as are oatstraw and Sarsaparilla. Nettle lowers the cytokine storm (that can cause pain) so, especially with Nettle to soothe that immune action, it seems to be in good balance.

If you can see the amounts listed, that would be of help, of course, to better determine how it's balanced.

Since you already have this formula, I think you should give it a go but, as with all things, start with a little bit.

Too much sarsaparilla can cause stomach upset and loose stools - and make you sleepy. My guess is that that is not present in a large amount, though.

There is an acupuncturist who posts her. Hopefully, she will be along to comment.

To put this in perspective, one of the best lyme protocols incorporates astragalus, again, because it's all about the balance.

If you feel overly stimulated, just back down on the dose. Never take anything that pushes or pulls you too much in any direction. It's all about balance and support - not force.

You should feel like the herbs are a nutritious meal, that they fortify you, not clobber or zoom you to the moon.

I think the formula you have can do that (if the amounts have thought behind them as is most likely).

Take with a full glass of room temperature or warm water.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Not sure when you are going home but I don't see why you can't start this right now. It will likely help very much.

Just start with a little bit at first, probably in the early evening if you will be around "home" relaxing.

I've taken everything you listed, either separately or in combination and did very well with all (but did learn not to take astragalus ALONE when I bought the wrong thing and didn't notice). In Zhang's Hepapro formula, though, I did very will with it.

The peppermint should help to calm pain and soothe nerve fibers, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I think every thing in your formulas has a chapter here that you can access to better address your concerns.

Though not at all about lyme, this is one of the best reference resources on my bookshelf that has wonderful chapters, many graciously available through their website.

"Cat's Claw, Astragulus, Nettle, Oatstraw, Indian Sarsaparilla and peppermint"

Home: http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/

The ONE EARTH HERBAL SOURCEBOOK (Tilltoson, et.al.)

He is a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine; She a doctor of Oriental Medicine and Acupuncturist. The third co-author is a doctor of optometry.
-

Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They combined one ounce of each together to make a mixture. I will have to brew it at home andthen strain it.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The balance would seem to be reasonable.

Oh, it's "sifted" raw herbs, then, where you can see tiny twigs and stuff?

If so, you can still make a tea right where you are, though.

Any coffee or tea shop will have tea strainers. You can soak a little bit in a cup of hot water. Soak just to cover the tea bulb (or tea spoon with holes in it). Let steep. Then, after it's gotten some strength to it, add in more water for a good drinking temperature.

The book link above will have more detail.

If it happens to be powder form, you can just add water and drink.
-

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experience more pain and sickness being off all antibiotics. That's a very bad scary situation for me, worse than any herxing.

Is it necessary to stop all antibiotics? Was there one that you had been taking awhile before you tried to add the Bicillin? Or did you leave everything at home and now you are on vacation?

I'm sorry that you are sick while on vacation. You can't expect your body to be the same as it used to be. Right now you are going through an extraordinarily stressful time. Par down your activities to try to include more rest.

Ask your family or friends to help you when they can so that you can conserve energy for more fun activities together. It's hard asking for help and allowing help. It's also hard accepting that we cannot do everything that we used to do. Hopefully with good treatment we will get back to our healthy selves.

Enjoy the things that you can do. Don't dwell on the things that are out of reach right now.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the pain, have you tried DMSO/Ketoprofen/Emu oil/magnesium cream? My LLMD prescribed it for me to help with pain.

It didn't help much when I broke my back, probably couldn't soak in and penetrate deep enough. It was great for the muscles but couldn't reach the bones.

It is magic for other swollen and painful joints.

I use it regularly when I have my flares and especially when my knees swell. They tend to lock up, you know how wood swells when it is wet? That's how my knees act, like an old wooden hinge that won't work. The cream helps reduce the swelling and pain. It doesn't make it go away but it helps reduce it.

Infuserve makes the DMSO/Ketoprofen/emu oil/mag compounded cream. If your doc calls in an RX to them tomorrow they can overnight it to you anywhere in the country. Overnight shipping is expensive but it is an option if you still have a few days of vacation you'd like to try to enjoy.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest an epsom salts and baking soda bath.

Hubby does better on magnesium citrate than other forms.

You can use topical Saint John's wort oil for pain -- but be careful it will stain clothing. Or just use the tincture in a little water.

Sarsaparilla capsules work well for hubby when he has spine and neck pain.

Advil seems to be many docs choice of over the counter painkillers. For short term use it can help without being extremely toxic.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement